Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Sunk Dunk posted:

nirvana intensifies

We all feel that way when we see the latest Disney product but please put the shotgun away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Trash posted:

I endlessly posted in this thread last year but no one gave a gently caress

FTFY

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

PostNouveau posted:

I feel like Disney kids' movies are less of a gamble, though. Parents need something to take the kids to; they know the stories are fine for each of these.

I dunno if they can lose money on one.
sure, but there's a reason they tapped disney renaissance movies for as long as they could- millennial parents grew up with the originals. they slapped loving tim burton on dumbo and couldn't even crack 400 mil

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

poisonpill posted:

Michelangelo’s passion project was the Sistine Chapel

This is actually a pretty common misconception. Michaelangelo (no relation) took on the Sistine chapel purely for money and job security. He found the commission artistically dubious and bridled at the constraints placed on him by the church. He then didn't even get paid properly.

What I'm saying is Michaelangelo (no relation) is the pioneer who forged the template for the promising indie director who gets hired to make a marvel movie.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Even the realtors in LA are nepo babies

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

I feel like Disney kids' movies are less of a gamble, though. Parents need something to take the kids to; they know the stories are fine for each of these.

I dunno if they can lose money on one.

I've seen a few people talking about how bored their kids were when watching the """live action""" Lion King remake when everyone preferred to just rewatch the original version

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I've seen a few people talking about how bored their kids were when watching the """live action""" Lion King remake when everyone preferred to just rewatch the original version

Yeah, I've heard that about the Aladdin remake with Will Smith.

It made over $1 billion.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It’s the same idea behind Dreamworks; even if everyone knows the movie is bad, you also know some percent of parents will take their kids to see it so you’ll make money

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
questlove's credits are co-directing two music video in the early 00's, and the documentary summer of soul, which interspersed talking head interviews with performances from a concert that took place before he was born.

it's a fine documentary and the concert is good, but it feels like if a studio exec in 1978 watched gates of heaven and then tapped errol morris for empire

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
If Disney released a movie advertised as the Aladdin remake and it was just hello.jpg for 90 minutes it would still make a billion dollars and have Twitter shills defending it for finally fixing what bothered them about the original

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

If Disney released a movie advertised as the Aladdin remake and it was just hello.jpg for 90 minutes it would still make a billion dollars and have Twitter shills defending it for finally fixing what bothered them about the original

Right.

I dunno if that holds true for all their remakes, but it seems like it would be hard to lose money on one.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Is it just a Sound of Freedom thing? Were the theatres empty but somehow sold out?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Disney is really good at projecting this image that their entire house of cards is about to topple and they're going to file for bankruptcy any day now, while simultaneously making more money than god and continuing on their path of owning everything forever. Everything is in a talespin and I can't think of the last Disney movie that didn't look embarrassingly bad, yet they routinely make a billion dollars each. The parks are absolute garbage and every new addition has been an unmitigated failure but they're still pumping money into them and people are lining up around the block to pay hundreds of dollars a day to wait in line all day.

Edit: This is about video games but probably pretty relevant;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuIitYcoSiE

The quick version is ABSOPM, always be spending other people's money. If it works hurray you're a talented visionary, if it bombs well someone else is out the cash, next project.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 29, 2024

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Sounds like a plot to a Stephen King book. Emptier and emptier movie theaters just playing movies to no audience.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it turns out that not only is a sucker born every minute but as time goes on an increasing amount of suckers are born per minute (accelerating spm rate)

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American showbiz pizza bear

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ProperCauldron posted:

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American showbiz pizza bear

Live action showbiz pizza bear rich Evans birthday party movie when!

mystes
May 31, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

Everything is in a talespin
don't give them ideas

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Finally, a thin veneer of feminism and multiculturalism! That’s what always bothered me about the original Home on the Range, which was an otherwise flawless film

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024

kalel posted:

I think I would really like to watch this skit but I'm not sure who could really do it justice.

Dear god
Please make me a bird
So that i can fly far
Far far into tower 1

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

Disney is really good at projecting this image that their entire house of cards is about to topple and they're going to file for bankruptcy any day now, while simultaneously making more money than god and continuing on their path of owning everything forever. Everything is in a talespin and I can't think of the last Disney movie that didn't look embarrassingly bad, yet they routinely make a billion dollars each. The parks are absolute garbage and every new addition has been an unmitigated failure but they're still pumping money into them and people are lining up around the block to pay hundreds of dollars a day to wait in line all day.

gently caress Disney, but this isn't really true. Post COVID they've only had one movie crack a billion, Avatar 2, which is a project they inherited from the Fox acquisition. Spiderman 3 doesn't really count since it's not their movie. Last year was a bad year for them with GOTG being the only thing that performed well (their underperforming movies still made money though).

The theme parks are a huge money maker as you said, but you're wrong in that they are garbage and additions have been unmitigated failures. I have no idea where you're getting that from. Everything they've done for the past almost decade has been a hit with the exception of the Star Wars hotel.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

mystes posted:

don't give them ideas
oh-ee-yeah

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

gently caress Disney, but this isn't really true. Post COVID they've only had one movie crack a billion, Avatar 2, which is a project they inherited from the Fox acquisition. Spiderman 3 doesn't really count since it's not their movie. Last year was a bad year for them with GOTG being the only thing that performed well (their underperforming movies still made money though).

The theme parks are a huge money maker as you said, but you're wrong in that they are garbage and additions have been unmitigated failures. I have no idea where you're getting that from. Everything they've done for the past almost decade has been a hit with the exception of the Star Wars hotel.

*cough*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_%E2%80%93_The_World_of_Avatar

Murdstone posted:

oh-ee-yeah

oh-ee-no

Vakal
May 11, 2008

mystes posted:

don't give them ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5DjtpIXK40

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

And? The area was a hit. Both rides are still popular several years later. The area is themed really well and looks amazing after dark. I don’t really care about Avatar but I still enjoy that area.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Say what you will about jenny but I think she is fairly representative of the theme park enthusiast space. And she gave the avatar area a pretty glowing review

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

No Mods No Masters posted:

Say what you will about jenny but I think she is fairly representative of the theme park enthusiast space. And she gave the avatar area a pretty glowing review

Except for the part where she paid $40 to 3D print her face onto an Naavi doll only for a staff member to tell her it didn't matter if she was wearing her hat while the computer 'scanned' her face

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Endless Trash posted:

I endlessly posted about Pan & Wendy (2023) in this thread last year but no one gave a gently caress

Impossible it was the theatrical (streaming) release of that particular day!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

a mystery man prequel would be sick

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Except for the part where she paid $40 to 3D print her face onto an Naavi doll only for a staff member to tell her it didn't matter if she was wearing her hat while the computer 'scanned' her face

If anything that made it more impressive that her navi came out looking EXACTLY like her!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Stink Billyums posted:

if a studio exec in 1978 watched gates of heaven and then tapped errol morris for empire

I'd watch the hell out of this.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Arc Hammer posted:

As if to prove your point I have to ask: they made a Peter Pan remake?

Like a lot of these, literally the only thing I remember about it was some weak attempt at manufactured controversy about making Tinkerbell black or a Lost Boy a girl or something. I'm not gonna bother to check because it doesn't matter, we all know exactly how it went

Against all odds, I do think people resisted the urge to make a fuss about them removing the "red man" stuff. Which, again, I assume they did without even checking. I think we'd all prefer to just pretend that never happened.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

Like a lot of these, literally the only thing I remember about it was some weak attempt at manufactured controversy about making Tinkerbell black or a Lost Boy a girl or something. I'm not gonna bother to check because it doesn't matter, we all know exactly how it went

Against all odds, I do think people resisted the urge to make a fuss about them removing the "red man" stuff. Which, again, I assume they did without even checking. I think we'd all prefer to just pretend that never happened.

They could’ve done a full remake of “what makes the red man red” and even crank up the racism but literally nobody would mention it or care or even NOTICE because it’s the loving live action Disney plus Peter Pan remake. The only thing that gets clicked less than that is the big red button in the president’s office

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

They could’ve done a full remake of “what makes the red man red” and even crank up the racism but literally nobody would mention it or care or even NOTICE because it’s the loving live action Disney plus Peter Pan remake. The only thing that gets clicked less than that is the big red button in the president’s office

No one would mention it because no one would remember seeing it. That poo poo just slides off the eyes. I bet a big portion of the box office for theses remakes is people seeing it, forgetting about it, and seeing it again by accident.

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024
Baby's Day Out 2: The Day the Towers Fell

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

That DICK! posted:

a mystery man prequel would be sick

Same exact cast, they just play younger.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
At the end of Not Another 9/11 Movie, the terrorists celebrate hijacking the planes seconds before they hit the towers by cracking open an ice cold ~Cervesa Cristal~.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah, it's stunt diversity casting, and seems to be mandatory for all their remakes now. They know both sides will bicker and scream past each other on twitter endlessly about it to drive up engagement. And it still works reliably every loving time because the internet is dumb as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, it's stunt diversity casting, and seems to be mandatory for all their remakes now. They know both sides will bicker and scream past each other on twitter endlessly about it to drive up engagement. And it still works reliably every loving time because the internet is dumb as poo poo.

some would go as far as to say the internet makes you stupid