Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

they had much more vague demands then "end divestment in Israel" and "stop supporting the genocide."

OWS was all over the place by the end because "its bullshit the 1% have more than everyone else" is a correct statement but extremely open to having wildly different solutions, so any individual protestor might have very different answers to the same questions. the decentralized decision making also slowly allowed the movement to get co opted or lost in the weeds.

BLM had the issue of not having a single, focused point of demand on police reform. "defund the police" works to a point but too easily is conflated with total anarchy instead of "burn this system down and replace it with something better" so they started searching for betting unifying goals but the movement was co opted and ran out of steam before that happened. there was also significant problems wherein protestors from the immediate communities often had different goals that the wider group of supporters.

this time its a clear and concise set of demands, and the only tactic the Zionists have is lying or claiming "river to the sea" is a call for genocide. otherwise its just straight up authoritarian clamp downs on protests.

BLM developed a very clearly articulated point: vote for Joe Biden in 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

i say swears online posted:

university of texas popping off again, riot cops making arrests

assuming its not against the rules to post this local news live stream of whats going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXaXa0h1tHY

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

PawParole posted:

less that they had no coherent demands to begin with, its more that they didn't have the discipline to keep out the type of person who thought posting black squares on instagram or smoking weed at a protest was activism

also good media discipline like that funny video

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
dont talk to cops, agitators, or people with clipboards and bullhorns telling you to "tone it down"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

500 bad dogs posted:

arent you a troop

Was 4 years ago. If the angle you’re going for is “you’re not allowed to do activism because you’re not worthy because of some personal life failing” lemme just stop you there and let you know I don’t value your opinion

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lest we forget stalin was a troop

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Butter Activities posted:

Was 4 years ago. If the angle you’re going for is “you’re not allowed to do activism because you’re not worthy because of some personal life failing” lemme just stop you there and let you know I don’t value your opinion

lol

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Loucks posted:

“Extremist” doesn’t mean anything other than “position that makes the defenders of the status quo uncomfortable” anyway. gently caress that dumb bullshit.

Extremism is when you think Jan 6 was very funny. This is also the correct opinion

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

troops of course are welcome into the movement. cops are too as long as they agree to become nullos first

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Al! posted:

troops of course are welcome into the movement. cops are too as long as they agree to become nullos first

The Dorner option

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

troop mad

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I wonder why guys who do IT for defense contractors and other giant faceless evil corporations always have strong opinions on who is “allowed” to be a leftist.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

id advise you to simply shake it off at this point

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

bedpan posted:

BLM developed a very clearly articulated point: vote for Joe Biden in 2020

No that was the Lincoln project

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Capitalism is a cannibalistic cult that forces everyone to have a taste or die.

Every one of us need to work together to put that poo poo behind us, especially troops.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Not cops though. FTP

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

cops are the one group you never let in imo

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

troops are definitely allowed to be leftists and we're definitely allowed to make fun of them for getting tricked into signing up to murder babies. that's the deal

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

troops are definitely allowed to be leftists and we're definitely allowed to make fun of them for getting tricked into signing up to murder babies. that's the deal

simple as

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

troops can claim to be a part of the movement but should never be even remotely near anything resembling decision making power. no one should trust them any more than a cop. feeling bad about their choice to go murder people for a living does not make them worthy of leadership.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

:hmmyes:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
"worthy" lol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

horthy of leadership

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Choosing leaders based on moral judgements of worth, in true dialectical fashion

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Univ of Washington's camp is up today and they call for cutting ties with Boeing.

Nice

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Choosing leaders based on moral judgements of worth, in true dialectical fashion

lol if they put former troops or cops in charge of media relations at one of the encampments, that will end well

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Most troops are heavily recruited right out of high school (and typically in poorer high schools) and is deliberately presented as the only option for many kids to escape poverty. I don't know how many people out there would love to be judged for the decisions they made at 18, even without the presence of constant propaganda in their faces. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The middle path

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

PawParole posted:

less that they had no coherent demands to begin with, its more that they didn't have the discipline to keep out the type of person who thought posting black squares on instagram or smoking weed at a protest was activism

took a few tries in these last 14 years but seems that they got to learn a bit: more than a few of these camps appear to have a degree of vanguard or central organization

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

err posted:

Univ of Washington's camp is up today and they call for cutting ties with Boeing.

Nice

gently caress yeah

Not a ton of people out yet, but things are just getting started.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ace Transmuter posted:

Most troops are heavily recruited right out of high school (and typically in poorer high schools) and is deliberately presented as the only option for many kids to escape poverty. I don't know how many people out there would love to be judged for the decisions they made at 18, even without the presence of constant propaganda in their faces. I sure as hell wouldn't.

tough poo poo, plenty of poor people, in fact nearly all of them, did not choose to help murder over a million people.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ace Transmuter posted:

I thought this wasn't true anymore and at some point the class makeup changed to the petit-bourgeoisie & multi-gen military family.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

that's the deal

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

dead gay comedy forums posted:

took a few tries in these last 14 years but seems that they got to learn a bit: more than a few of these camps appear to have a degree of vanguard or central organization

Bevin’s book seems to have made a lot of inroads thank Christ

Stuff was a mess from what I remember in 2021 with all sorts of weirdo libertarians and hoteps taking poo poo over and leading crowds into kettles

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Breivik's book seems to have made a lot of inroads thank Christ

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

In Training posted:

I thought this wasn't true anymore and at some point the class makeup changed to the petit-bourgeoisie & multi-gen military family.

It’s a mix of both. Also as wages and benefits have been crushed in the private sector for non-college educated people the military is a relatively accessible ladder to the middle class now more by virtue of having military benefits be cut a lot slower than others.

This is discussion that should be moved to a different thread though and extremely unproductive when it comes to activism.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

gently caress yeah

Not a ton of people out yet, but things are just getting started.

UW/Western/Evergreen have been calling for decades to cut ties with Boeing.

They are too connected now, Boeing has its own credential and research service in UW for employees. https://www.pce.uw.edu/boeing and https://www.barc.uw.edu/

Literally integrating and funneling education with a weapons manufacturer. Dystopian stuff.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

In Training posted:

Well if that's the case then I'm talking out of my rear end from past experience, which wouldn't be the first time. I am an old, maybe they do poo poo different now.

That said buying into propaganda when your brain is still developing and you're never presented with any alternatives (or in fact, told that those alternatives don't exist for you, specifically) isn't exactly the same moral decision as signing up to murder babies. Folks who realize what a horrible decision they've made only after the fact and get out at the first opportunity are worth embracing. I'd've been fine wecloming Pat Tillman into the fold if Cheney hadn't had him murked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lol left vets still have the same troop brain that gets all worked up when they are disrespected