Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Bobstar posted:

not to the concept of airport hotels in general.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kurieg posted:

If you're flying from new york to LA with a stopover in Chicago, where do you expect to sleep when the chicago-->LA flight is cancelled?
United gives you a voucher for a nearby hotel and you either take the hotel's shuttle or uber/lyft/cab to get there and back.

I just lived this - some friends and I flew to the midwest to see the eclipse a few weeks ago and delays caused us to get stuck in Chicago going in both directions.

So many people get stuck overnight near O'Hare that they've built a little entertainment district across the street from the airport, with bars and restaurants and live music and a comedy club and a bowling alley/arcade and a movie theater and other stuff.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
more often than not the 'airport hotel' is 'an independent hotel near the airport' not 'a hotel in the airport'.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Shanghaied posted:

Okay this has to be a joke:

WIBTAH For Throwing out my Boyfriend’s “Poop Spear''?

Getting tired of these reboots of treasured classics.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kurieg posted:

more often than not the 'airport hotel' is 'an independent hotel near the airport' not 'a hotel in the airport'.
True. But big airports are starting to sprout hotels on their property, attached to their terminals.

San Francisco: https://www.hyatt.com/grand-hyatt/en-US/sfogh-grand-hyatt-at-sfo
Chicago: https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/chiohhh-hilton-chicago-ohare-airport/

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

oh jay posted:

Alternatively, I have booked 6 months ahead of time, so my flight is not at 5.
Whenever I happen to book months or more in advance they end up loving with the flight and sending me change notices like 3-4 times and then the departure time is way different. Probably partiality due to the smaller market I'm in though.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

FMguru posted:

True. But big airports are starting to sprout hotels on their property, attached to their terminals.

San Francisco: https://www.hyatt.com/grand-hyatt/en-US/sfogh-grand-hyatt-at-sfo
Chicago: https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/chiohhh-hilton-chicago-ohare-airport/

This is amateur poo poo. Seatac has the second largest parking garage in the world attached to their terminal.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

This is amateur poo poo. Seatac has the second largest parking garage in the world attached to their terminal.
LOL Seattle. Always fated to play second banana to true world-class cities like...Edmonton.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

FMguru posted:

Or you have a flight arriving at 10pm and then taking off on the next leg at 530am. I could easily imagine a businessperson flying from the east coast to SFO, crashing for a night at the SFO Hyatt, and then getting up and on the 540am flight to Shanghai or Tokyo, instead of powering straight through or wrangling baggage, leaving the airport, getting a cab/uber, traveling to a hotel, checking in, and then doing that all in reverse four hours later.

I am told they are also popular for business meetings where people are flying from multiple locations. Need to get three people together to sign a contract? Just all fly to O'Hare, meet up in a conference room or hotel room at the Hilton connected to the terminal, and then all fly out again two hours later. Much lower friction than booking a facility off site and arranging transportation etc.

Thanks to advancements in engine technology, you can now fly non-stop from NYC to Tokyo, Shanghai, or even loving Singapore (18-loving-plus hours just loving kill me).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
18 hours might be fun if you had an entire cabin with room to stretch and a bed and a TV and so on

Too bad that's only available on A380s for $50,000

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I did Perth AUS to Manchester UK with changes at Singapore and Amsterdam once. The Singapore-Amsterdam leg was 13 hours alone and the crossovers were only an hour or two each, so worked out at something approaching 24 flight hours total.

I enjoyed it, but I was 13 and it was all novel.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I've misunderstood "wedding band" for about three pages. Like I was thinking they might put him in the drum? No idea

I get it now and man do I feel silly

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
You silly people, 18 hours is easy, just take a very, very strong weed edible beforehand

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I've stayed at the YVR Fairmont a couple times when flying out somewhere else. It's nice - you can get a room that looks out over the runways and watch planes. There's something really neat about empty airports at 2am on a Tuesday too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kurieg posted:

AITA for kicking my baby’s father out of the hospital room?

Put the baby daddy in a vat of acid. When my son was born, we watched Bohemian Rhapsody on the TV and I played with my phone on and off until the action started.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Crocobile posted:

Also in sexual name chat: I must bring up one of Portland, OR’s founders Captain Couch. Pronounced cooch.

everyone loves Couch St.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

idiotsavant posted:

Herded By A Corgi Until I Tripped To Death, a harrowing tale full of chills & thrills

The real reason the Queen died

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

dervival posted:

everyone loves Couch St.

Only slightly less than NE Flanders. I don't think there's a single street sign in the city that hasn't had a D painted in.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kurieg posted:

AITA for not paying hospital bills after my friend tripped over my dog?

Well this could go either way b

lmao nevermind

As a fellow corgi-haver, corgis can and will trip people. But that's just them being a herding dog. And dogs love to run. You run past a dog, that dog is probably going to run with you - or into you. So even if Cathy did get tripped by the dog, its her drat fault.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Only slightly less than NE Flanders. I don't think there's a single street sign in the city that hasn't had a D painted in.

i'm just glad they decoupled the clusterfuck of an intersection that was at couch/burnside/sandy/12th. had to cross that fucker for buses for all of middle school

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Halloween Jack posted:

A lot of "airport hotels" have a policy where if you stay one night, you can leave your car there for a week. It's usually cheaper than airport parking and they have a shuttle to and from the airport anyway. It's a whole business model.
Yup. Furthermore, it's a three-hour drive to the closesst major airport, and I don't like risking a traffic jam's making us miss a flight. Drive night before, sleep in airport hotel, get up at a less-uncivilized time, fly. Can't beat it if you can afford it.

The post isn't all that interesting, but I love this comment.

quote:

A: I would really recommend you take the quiz "is my relationship healthy" at loveisrespect dot org

OP: i tried putting my relationship into the thing and it says i might have network connectivity problems :(

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
AITA for threatening my wife with divorce after she quit her job to be a "tradwife"

quote:

I dont even know where to begin with this.

Me 34M and my Wife 33F have 2 Kids together 11M and 9F.

Me and my Wife have been together for 12 years and married for 8.

Around a year ago I noticed my wife increasingly sending me these Tradwife or traditional housewife tiktoks. I have nothing against that type of relationship but I don't think it makes sense for our current family situation. I do earn earn quite a bit more than my wife and enough to sustain our family on my own but I dont see the need to do so. I work 80% and my wife 50% and besides Wednesdays where the both of us are working, either one of us is always home for the kids. I could work a 100% and let my Wife be SAHM but again, both of my kids are attending school and in my mind there is no need for my wife to be at home 24/7.

She got increasingly pushy about it over the past two months and again I just kept on telling her that there wasnt any need for that and If we did decide to go down that route, what would she do during the hours my kids attended school? I know drat well our house doesent need to be cleaned for 6 hours a day. She would constantly try to butter me up with "You would have dinner ready every day when coming home from work" and something about unlimited blowjobs or some bs like that. Again in the nicest way possible I would remind her that our kids werent toddlers and our current work-life schedule allowed us to function perfectly fine.

We got into a pretty heated argument two weeks ago about it and my wife completely stopped having sex with me to "show me what I would be missing out on." Shes basically been treating me like a roommate since.

I just thought she would get over it and this was just a phase but god was I wrong. I came home from work yesterday and saw a bunch of presents on the dining table. At first I thought they were all for me since my birthday was in a week but I then I saw the labels on them addressed to my wife. I read one of the letters attached to one of the presents. The last sentence on it was literally "It was so a pleasure working along side you and I wish you all the best moving forwards." I thought this was some sick prank. A few minutes later my wife just casually strolled into the living room acting like nothing was wrong. I guess she saw my mad expression and had the audacity to tell me that "You'll get over it." I just lost it.

I just left without saying another word and went to my parents house. I feel absolutely disrespected. Why the gently caress would my wife think it was okay to just quit her job without telling me and just expect me to be fine with it. My wife has been bombarding me with texts and calls demanding to know where I am and that the kids miss me. I just told her to go find a lawyer and that I was done with her and then proceeded to block her.

My son just sent me a voicemail crying and asking why I was divorcing mom and if I was leaving the family and I guess that kind of broke my heart. I haven't responded and honestly dont know what to say to him. My mother in law has also been demanding that I return home and apologize to my wife. My parents also seem to be siding with wife since they are traditional muslims. My mom also used to a SAHM.

I feel like im wrong for immediately jumping to divorce without hearing her out and besides this whole job drama, love my wife too much for this to be the end of our otherwise perfect marriage but on the other hand I feel like i've lost complete trust in her.

Should I just swallow my pride and let my wife stay at home from now on or should I follow through on divorcing her?

How should I navigate this situation?

AITA here?

Update: AITA for threatening my wife with divorce after she quit her job to be a "tradwife"

quote:

I just want to add a few crucial details that I missed to mention in my original Post.

I suffer from a genetic heart condition that puts me at risk to stress induced cardiac arrest. I used to work full time but was forced to cut down on my work after suffering a silent heart attack. This was nearly a decade ago but since then ive worked my own physical and mental wellbeing . Some people didnt understand me constantly mentioning why it was such an issue working the extra 20%. I honestly dont know how much time I have left and my kids are the most important things in my life. For my own mental health its essential that I get to spend time with my kids throughout the week. Besides my Wife and kids I have nothing. I hate my loving job and purely continue for the sake of my kids and wife.

Well after spending a day at my parents house, eventually I felt enough time had passed for me to gather my thoughts on everything. What she did seemed like the ultimate slap in the face but I went back with the intention to resolve this and didnt want to escalate this loving nightmare.

My wife seemed happy I returned but wasnt apologetic at all. The kids ,especially my son, were ecstatic. That sort of made me ignore the lack of remorse for the time being. That same night after putting my kids to bed I told her we need to have a serious discussion.

I told her how I felt about everything she did. The fact that she knows about my health condition and still went through with it. The fact that I set clear boundaries and she still chose to quit her job without my consent. How the fact that she told my son that I was going to abandon the family really felt like a stab in the back. How throughout all of this, she didn't even seem remorseful once. The fact that she chose her own happiness to the detriment of mine. The fact I sacrificed so much for the family and I got repaid like this. The fact that we now as a family have to make major lifestyle changes, since a third of our family income vanished.

For a split second I saw an ounce of sadness in her eyes before she went right back to being annoyed with me.

I then simply told her to lay out her half of the story. Here is a summary of what she said.

She felt ignored by me constantly rejecting her proposal. She had worked long enough and this was finally the time for her to enjoy her life as a "true wife". She also said that I was being a baby about the whole spending extra time with the kids thing. That really pissed me off and we ended up getting into a heated argument. I coudnt bare any of it anymore and just ended up sleeping in the guest room.

Until yesterday nothing changed. She constantly tried to play everything off and wanted to "embrace her new role" by constantly trying to have sex with me and by making me my favorite dishes. It just felt like she was trying to manipulate me again I wasnt having any of it. I just kept on sleeping in the guest room.

Well my birthday was yesterday. And after work my wife and kids picked me up and we ate dinner together. This was probably the first time I genuinely had a smile on my face in a week. Well that smile vanished because she tried to seduce me again later that night.

I rejected her and to my surprise she had a full on mental breakdown. I just held her as she started apologising for what she did. She claimed she didnt understand how much she hurt me, she was sorry for making me feel like an afterthought etc. We ended up sleeping in the same bed yesterday. I felt like things were finally moving in the right direction and I again asked her about searching for a new job today. Instead of getting mad she just replied with a "i need to think about it."

Yeah thats where things are as of today.

It feels like progress is being made but idk this just might be another manipulation tactic of hers.

I'll probably make a final update in a month or so. Reddit isnt doing my mental health any favours.

How would you guys move forward in this situation?

Could I have done something better?

Is she being genuine?

(And to those incels who constantly bring up islam as a way to justify her behaviour, please shut the gently caress up. )

Final Update: AITA for threatening my wife with divorce after she quit her job to be a "tradwife" (self.AITAH)

quote:

Again. Im beyond grateful for the all the love and support you guys have shown me. If im being honest with everyone ive been drinking a lot to get through this mess. I felt like a zombie just wandering around with no purpose. My wifes actions completely broke me.

Thankfully ive managed to cut most of it out over the past week and thats mostly thanks to reddit. You guys seriously helped me keep my mind busy with something else besides alcohol. Being reminded that have two smaller versions of myself, looking up to me and learning from the things I do, really helped me snap out of it.

Ive been at my lowest since making my first post and I think ive just hit a new low.

Until last week nothing changed since my last Post. My Wife still pranced around enjoying her new lifestyle while I suffered in silence. After Posting my update I did realize that my Wife 100% was trying to manipulate me into submitting to her demands. I asked her if she actually started looking for a job and she hesitated and told me no and she needs more time.

If im being honest thats all I needed to know from her. I tried making this work but honest to god, I couldn't keep living like that. Everyday that past felt like a part of my soul vanished. My Wife kept on trying to "please me" but It didnt seem genuine at all. Ive also started noticing her getting lazy and starting to neglect my kids. My wife stopped cooking and after working 9 hours of hell, I now was the one to help my son with his homework and the one to play Barbie with my daughter. Im not complaining about spending time with my kids but I could seiously see this becoming worse as time goes on. I dont know where the woman I once fell in love with went but that thing that lives with me wasnt her.

I know a lot of you are going to smile hearing this but I did tell my wife that I want a divorce last week. I came home from work and I saw my wife sitting on the couch watching TV while my daughter was crying in her room. I just snapped at that moment. I told we need to have a serious discussion after the kids go to sleep.

After I put my Kids to sleep I sat down with her and told her our marriage was over and that Ill be contacting my lawyer tomorrow. Divorce was never something I ever planned on doing in my life but I just felt like something needed to change or my kids would be visiting my gravesite in a few years. Our culture frowns upon it and I knew I was about to get serious backlash for it but at this point I couldn't care less.

I dont know why but she thought I was joking and started laughing. I told her I was being serious this time and her manipulation methods weren't going to work on me anymore and her face just went pale. She then went from screaming at me to crying to then blaming me for every issue in the family to then begging for another chance. She literally went to get her laptop and tried to apply for jobs on Indeed while begging. I just told her to cut the bullshit and told her I tried my best but she just kept giving me empty promises.

I told her the following:

I know her trying to gently caress me just was a manipulation tactic and not to show her "devotion" to me as she puts it.

If she was truly sorry, why didnt she start applying for jobs immediately instead of waiting until I confronted her.

Her completely disregarding any of my feelings and needs while purely perusing her own, shows me how selfish she actually is. She knows about my health and still chose to completely gently caress me over.

And now this part pissed me off a lot: Her poisoning my son against me when this all started, was beyond hosed up and looking back was enough of a reason to divorce her.

We ended up fighting for another hour or so and her constant screaming ended up waking up our daughter and thats when I told my wife to shut the gently caress up and go to bed.

The following day my mom called me during work and asked if I lost my mind or something. My wife told my mom that I was going to divorce her.

She claimed that I was bringing serious shame onto the family and she didn't raise me to abandon my kids.

Yep my wife told my mom that I was planning on abandoning my kids and has been feeding my kids the same bs. I explained to my mom the reasons why I wanted divorce but she wont budge. If I divorce my wife, Im a disgrace of a man and my mom wants nothing to do with me.

I know my mom well enough to tell that her words are just empty threats but what hurts me most are the reactions of my kids. My son wont look me in the eyes and wont even let me anywhere near his room. My daughter just tries to hit me whenever I try to talk to her. I've tried explaining to them that im in fact not going to "give up on them" and me and their mom are just going to separate but they just seem to believe whatever bs my wife tells them. Friends and Inlaws also claim that im a monster for making my wife go through this.

My wife was served with divorce papers two days ago and has been crying nonstop since. My wife told my kids about the divorce papers and they both claim that they will never talk to me again and in my sons words im a bad husband and father. I cried myself to sleep that night.

I thought divorce would bring me peace but its only brought me one step closer to taking my life. As I stated in my previous post. I have nothing and am nothing without my kids.

Growing up dead poor as a refugee in Germany, i promised myself that I would give my kids a life that I myself could have only dreamed off but I feel like ive failed.

Im sorry for making this post longer than it has to be. Again I just want to thank everyone for the love and support but this will probably be my last post.

Wishing you all a lovely week.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
That one's just sad, can we not with those

Pomme de Terror fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 30, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There are more emotions in this life than lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

AITA for threatening my wife with divorce after she quit her job to be a "tradwife"

The TikTok ban can't go into effect fast enough.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh btw, forgot to mention that I had a heart attack and am probably slowly dying as we speak

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
CONTENT - GUESS THOSE SPOILERS
AITA for keeping my name change a secret for five years?

quote:

So, my (26F) parents decided to name my sister and I after American states. I have permission to share her name (Arizona) and I was called Pennsylvania at birth. Yea, my parents are weird. I guess they thought geographical names were cool but I think there’s a huge difference between calling your child Arizona or Dakota or Paris Vs Pennsylvania. They’re massive republicans and America lovers so maybe they wanted to be patriotic.

For as long as I can remember, everyone has called me Penn or Penny. My parents insisted that everyone was to call me by my full name but most people could see how ridiculous my parents are.

My sister (28F) didn’t struggle as much with her name since Arizona just sounds better than Pennsylvania, and the Greys anatomy character Arizona Robbins made the name seem quite cool as we got older. I was mocked and teased as a child in elementary school because of my parents insistence on my full name. They would literally berate my teachers for letting me write ‘Penny’ on my work/books.

When I was 21, I got my name legally changed to Penelope. Most people I had met in college had assumed that I went by Penny as a nickname for Penelope, even my boyfriend’s mother called me Penelope because I was too embarrassed to tell her that Penny was short for Pennsylvania. I kept it a secret from my parents and close family because I knew my parents would go mental and accuse me of disrespecting their choice.

I’m getting married this summer to my lovely boyfriend Tom (31M) and as you all know, you have to say your full name in your wedding ceremony when doing your vows. I knew I had to fess up about the name change because the alternative would be hoping they kept quiet when they heard me say ‘I, Penelope’ instead of ‘I, Pennsylvania’.

I invited them over to my home and I tried to tell them in a really calm way that I had changed my name but they freaked out. They said that I was disrespectful, I was calling their choice dumb etc. They are refusing to attend the wedding now.

I know i’m not the AH for changing my name, but my parents are particularly pissed about how I kept it hidden for five years before telling them. Most people I know agree with them. They think that I should’ve had the courage to be honest with them years ago so they would’ve had time to get used to it instead of me dropping the news on them two months before my wedding and causing all this drama. A few other family members have dropped out and my poor sister (who is maid of honor) is having a nightmare with this. My parents believe they had the right to know much earlier.

Tldr, parents think I am the AH for keeping this a secret. AITA?

Edit: I know I could ask the officiant/priest to say Penny instead of Penelope but I don’t want to hide my real name on my wedding day.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There are more emotions in this life than lol

And there are more threads on SA than this one.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

haveblue posted:

18 hours might be fun if you had an entire cabin with room to stretch and a bed and a TV and so on

Too bad that's only available on A380s for $50,000

I used my miles to get the first class on Japan Airlines’ A380 recently and it was rad as hell. Way cheaper than buying it too.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Mordiceius posted:

Update: AITA for threatening my wife with divorce after she quit her job to be a "tradwife"

Final Update: AITA for threatening my wife with divorce after she quit her job to be a "tradwife" (self.AITAH)

i hope youre in the us and documented all of this because if so congrats on custody op. unless your in like tx their divorce laws are gross

snergle fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 30, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

snergle posted:

i hope youre in the us and documented all of this because if so congrats on custody op.

He mentions being a refugee in Germany, so I wonder if that's still where he's located.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Pomme de Terror posted:

CONTENT - GUESS THOSE SPOILERS
AITA for keeping my name change a secret for five years?

quote:

as you all know, you have to say your full name in your wedding ceremony when doing your vows.
No, no I don't know that.

Edit: oh she covers that in the edit. Wait, what, then how is it a "have to"?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Mordiceius posted:

He mentions being a refugee in Germany, so I wonder if that's still where he's located.

i must of missed that hopefully germany has similar or better divorce laws

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Not mentioning the heart condition in the first post is bit odd.

I don't think the wife should just unilaterally quit her job to become a "tradwife" but it's kind of weird to me that he apparently made no effort to talk to her about her reasons for wanting to do this and it doesn't even sound like he told her "we can't afford that" so much as just saying "no you aren't allowed to do that"?

Like it sounds like she's being kind of lovely but it also doesn't sound like he cares about her at all?

I'm kind of wondering if there were other issues in their marriage before this or his wife is depressed or something?

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 30, 2024

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Pomme de Terror posted:

That one's just sad, can we not with those

youll deal with it, and read it, and smile

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

yeah really enjoying the "I want to kill myself" ending here.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

thats hosed up

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mystes posted:

Not mentioning the heart condition in the first post is bit odd.

I don't think the wife should just unilaterally quit her job to become a "tradwife" but it's kind of weird to me that he apparently made no effort to talk to her about her reasons for wanting to do this and it doesn't even sound like he told her "we can't afford that" so much as just saying "no you aren't allowed to do that"?

Like it sounds like she's being kind of lovely but it also doesn't sound like he cares about her at all?

I'm kind of wondering if there were other issues in their marriage before this or his wife is depressed or something?

From the sound of it she got bored and lazy and figured that if she offered to blow her husband seven times a week he’d let her act like a third child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to give my stepdad the role he wants in my wedding in front of his and my mom's families?

quote:

I'll (27f) be getting married in the next year to 18 months (no date finalized yet). Originally I had planned to have my stepdad and my paternal grandpa share the father of the bride duties because my dad has been dead since I was 6 years old and my stepdad has been there for me almost as long but my grandpa is hugely important and has played the role as most important man in my life after my dad. My stepdad did not want to share the role and he wanted the walk down the aisle and the father/daughter dance to be just us. He told me he was not okay with my grandpa doing either alone or both with him. He told me when it comes down to it he was the real dad in my life since I was 7 years old and while he might not be biologically my dad he has been married to my mom and taking care of me for 20 years and he is also the father to all my siblings and his place in my life should be honored and not shared with a grandparent just because I lost my dad. So I told him I would have just grandpa then.

This was not the end of the conversation and it came back up during my mom's birthday dinner. He mentioned it in front of his family, aka his parents and siblings, as well as my mom and my mom's family. He told me he wanted to be father of the bride, he wanted to walk me down the aisle, he wanted a father/daughter dance, he wanted a toast, he wanted everything that comes traditionally with this. Because he brought it up in front of them and because I was slightly annoyed by him bringing it up again without clarifying he was okay with sharing the role, I told him no again. I also told him I had already asked grandpa. This was in front of both families and it did start a debate over this. Once I realized I was hated for saying no, by his family, and some of my mom's family including my mom disliked that I couldn't let him do it (but some were on my side) I decided to leave.

My stepdad told me I had humiliated him and made the dinner all about me. I said he brought it up first and he told me kindness and decency would suggest I not turn him down in front of everyone. I also got a very angry message from one of his siblings and another from the same sibling on behalf of his parents. They told me I had no business treating him this way. When I didn't reply to this person either time my stepdad told me I was going out of my way to behave inappropriately and to hurt him.

The importance of my paternal family in my life has always been an issue for my stepdad and his family, but especially the importance of grandpa. For many years my stepdad has been jealous and his family has commented that I shouldn't need my grandpa because I have my stepdad. His family have expressed their dislike for me several times because I have the relationship with grandpa that they feel I should have with their son.

My stepdad expected an apology and when he didn't get one. He told me yet again that he didn't like my behavior at the dinner.

AITA?