Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Also like 1/3 of the students at UCI nowhere near the camp are wearing keffiyahs love 2 see it

A whatever Vietnamese for gusano guard at uci was yelling angrily Vietcong at my friend who was also Vietnamese before the cops and security backed off the fence so that was lol

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

trevorreznik posted:

I visited the Northwestern camp yesterday w/ my kid, looks like I timed it well since they've just reached an agreement

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2024/04/29/campus/breaking-administrators-student-demonstrators-reach-agreement-to-end-encampment/

I can't tell if some paragraphs are mis written or inaccurate, but here's the gist. The University agreed to fundraise for and give out 5 scholarships to Palestinian undergrads, disclose its investments with Israel within 30 days, and immediately establish a temporary middle eastern/north african/muslim House with a permanent one to follow.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2024/04/25/campus/live-pro-palestinian-student-activists-set-up-encampment-on-deering-meadow/
play by play

Fwiw I have already seen northwestern students from the encampment claiming that the "negotiators" were self-selected and do not represent the encampment and their demands

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

spechtie posted:

is that the woman who was like 16 when she started dating Jerry Seinfeld who was in his thirties or whatever?

no he didnt marry the woman he raped

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

youcallthatatwist posted:

Fwiw I have already seen northwestern students from the encampment claiming that the "negotiators" were self-selected and do not represent the encampment and their demands

not surprising given where the agreement ended lol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

art of the deal

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

speaking of which, did university of washington ever do anything? iirc they were going to but then they cancelled it because it was a bunch of white guys who didn't actually talk to any arabs/palestinians before writing their manifesto or whatever

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

err posted:

UW/Western/Evergreen have been calling for decades to cut ties with Boeing.

They are too connected now, Boeing has its own credential and research service in UW for employees. https://www.pce.uw.edu/boeing and https://www.barc.uw.edu/

Literally integrating and funneling education with a weapons manufacturer. Dystopian stuff.

wondering about the Evergreen to Boeing pipeline ...

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://x.com/MaryLawlorhrds/status/1785020792197038101

UN once again reminding the world that they are ham rear end

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

wtf is a rapporteur

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

500 bad dogs posted:

wtf is a rapporteur

The international way of spelling reporter, duh

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

michael rapporteur

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

papersack posted:

The international way of spelling reporter, duh

the french were a mistake

(im canadian im allowed to say that)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

500 bad dogs posted:

wtf is a rapporteur

Jack White's actually good band

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Lib and let die posted:

Jack White's actually good band

Don't you mean the Dead Weather?

Cops not called yet on the UNC protest, hopefully cooler heads continue to prevail there and, obviously, divestment.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mayor of Irvine released this statement which is… actually good

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Probably Magic posted:

Don't you mean the Dead Weather?

Cops not called yet on the UNC protest, hopefully cooler heads continue to prevail there and, obviously, divestment.

I think our lovely state laws make agreeing to divest from Israel outright illegal.

Even saying out loud you will will send you to jail if you're a state employee.

So you better believe the lovely Zionists who actually run the UNC system will put out so many "hands are tied" statements.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

https://x.com/MaryLawlorhrds/status/1785020792197038101

UN once again reminding the world that they are ham rear end

it’s already started, apparently.

Columbia begins suspending protesters after encampment talks break down https://www.reuters.com/world/us/columbia-university-urges-pro-palestinian-protesters-disperse-after-failed-talks-2024-04-29/

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

go figure

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Really funny how you can calm people down with an anodyne "okay well be nice to Arab students and look into the matter (while you're all on vacation)" but no gotta send in the cops

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it's not particularly difficult to fulfill those conditions so...

woops i should of been more specific i meant the students

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Kicking college kids out of their housing for protesting is hosed up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HallelujahLee posted:

woops i should of been more specific i meant the students

Oh yeah I got that and agree, I was just responding to the article that didn't get quoted

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Oh yeah I got that and agree, I was just responding to the article that didn't get quoted

got you

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

Kicking college kids out of their housing for protesting is hosed up.

its so loving funny and counterproductive because now the school has given them nowhere else to go

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

its so loving funny and counterproductive because now the school has given them nowhere else to go

well surely giving them nothing to lose will do the trick

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

for the record if they did burn colombia.......well id probably be mad about the library

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

mawarannahr posted:

wondering about the Evergreen to Boeing pipeline ...

Lol yeah, idk why I threw them in there because they have always advocated for divestment and Rachel Corrie was from the school.

Here are TESC's demands

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Lol at dumping Aramark, I can get behind that just about as much as freeing palestine

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Al! posted:

from encampment tents to homeless tents: the u.s. of a. story

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

err posted:

Lol yeah, idk why I threw them in there because they have always advocated for divestment and Rachel Corrie was from the school.

Here are TESC's demands

Okay seriously good for them but I will allow myself one "lol students" joke about the complaint about parking services

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

seriously, what happened to the mice?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

parking services back in my uni constantly gave bs tickets and you had spend like 2 weeks fighting them to get it dropped so more power to them

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

majour333 posted:

Lol at dumping Aramark, I can get behind that just about as much as freeing palestine

they've been trying to get rid of Aramark since the 2000s it seems like

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HallelujahLee posted:

parking services back in my uni constantly gave bs tickets and you had spend like 2 weeks fighting them to get it dropped so more power to them

my last college job gave me tickets all the time but i simply just ignored them and it was fine

Griz
May 21, 2001

majour333 posted:

what do they think will happen if they dump aramark? there's like 3 major foodservice providers and they all loving suck

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Al! posted:

my last college job gave me tickets all the time but i simply just ignored them and it was fine

i believe i did this to the last i got and it worked

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Griz posted:

what do they think will happen if they dump aramark? there's like 3 major foodservice providers and they all loving suck
I think one of the key objections is that it's a major prison profiteer, maybe even started as a prison food company. I imagine they are advocating for a student run solution.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

anyway they clearly blow goats
https://twitter.com/Aramark/status/1712527275986444453

https://www.jns.org/wire/hebrew-uni...er-aramark-ceo/

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

e: too chatty

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

StashAugustine posted:

Okay seriously good for them but I will allow myself one "lol students" joke about the complaint about parking services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

I think one of the key objections is that it's a major prison profiteer, maybe even started as a prison food company. I imagine they are advocating for a student run solution.

its this