Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

What is the most effective thing against chargers overall?

So far I’ve had good luck with quasars, and done OK(but worse than quasars headshots) with flamethrowers. When I take anything else, I spend half the mission getting chased around by them unless the other team members are good.

Do i need to just git good with EAT calldowns while dodging them? How are people handling 2-3 in a row with autocannons? Best strategems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I really dig the patch cycles in this game. Keeps the game fresh for me four months in.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Question Time posted:

So far I’ve had good luck with quasars, and done OK(but worse than quasars headshots) with flamethrowers. When I take anything else, I spend half the mission getting chased around by them unless the other team members are good.

Do i need to just git good with EAT calldowns while dodging them? How are people handling 2-3 in a row with autocannons? Best strategems?

The charger butt is vulnerabie against explosive type weapons and ive found it pretty easy to blow out. Once he's assless he'll bleed out. Id save strategems for bile titan and focus on the butt.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Question Time posted:

It's personal preference, but I prefer the Quasar/EAT/RR since it's an easy one shot and they also work vs Bile Titans.

Practice dodging Chargers without using your dive key. If you sprint diagonally toward either side of them after they start their charge, you can easily get behind them and force them to slowly turn around while you line up your AT weapon. As long as you are not being swarmed by the smaller bugs at the same time (in which case, deal with the smaller stuff first until you can get breathing room) a Charger should almost never be in a position to kill you.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Christ, the meltdowns on reddit are unbelievable on patch day.

Finally saved up the credits for a warbond. Is there one in particular that stands out at this point? Leaning cutting edge maybe, if only for stun grenades.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Question Time posted:

Stun grenades plus an eagle airstrike/500kg (or any supply drop) are a great improv combo for chargers.

I tried the recoilless rifle earlier, and it might be one of the better options for dealing with multiple heavies.

The fact that you can split the reload animation in half (1/2 removing the shell, the other putting a new shell in) by diving out of the animation helps.

Also stun grenades give you the opportunity to reload. On paper, assisted reload RR is the most effective thing you could do with multiple chargers, but good luck finding someone to cooperate.

Have I mentioned Stun grenades?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i wasn't able to try it out against gunships but the laser cannon seems about as good as ever against hulks and devastators and walkers and maybe a bit worse against turrets and tanks. the scythe is also just better than it was before, i'd recommend it over the sickle against bots easily now if you're able to consistently land headshots with it. it'll kill a basic bot almost instantly and a devastator in what feels like at most one second.

the adjudicator also has next to no recoil to speak of and as it turns out its magazine/ammo capacity issues aren't nearly as bad when most of the shots are actually hitting.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

NmareBfly posted:

Christ, the meltdowns on reddit are unbelievable on patch day.

Finally saved up the credits for a warbond. Is there one in particular that stands out at this point? Leaning cutting edge maybe, if only for stun grenades.
Cutting Edge is in a good place now. Stun grenades are game-changing against chargers and hulks and all 3 primaries in it are at least good.

Honestly the others are good too though, you can't really go wrong. The revolver, fire shotgun, Dominator, crossbow, Eruptor, and grenade pistol are all good.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 30, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

im also a big fan of the spawn rate fix for sub 4 player games. the game felt much easier with two players and basically empty with just one. the solo and two person missions i did earlier were significantly more fun.

p good patch i think

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stun grenades are perfect for stopping Hulks/Chargers that are a smidge too close for comfort, so you can line em up with heavy arms fire.

Honestly it should be baseline for how useful it is, but I suppose earning-new-Warbonds-via-playing-the-game is the long term baseline.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's an undocumented change but a dev confirmed plasma shotgun's projectile was fixed. No longer does it constantly clip through armpits when you're trying to shoot devastators.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
This new mission is really easy? The bugs spawn so slowly and you can splat the orange things so easily with the generously buffed plasma punisher. I'm on eight and I just walk through it. This is gonna get farmed for exp

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Played level 6 missions.

Every mission had 4 bile titans at once, and a thousand little ones everywhere it was annoying and bad and why I hate bugs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes well this is what happens when you feed them steroids and termicide.

Can't wait to discover what comes out of those huge grotesque mutated eggs!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Question Time posted:

EAT for me by far. 3 per engagement is more than enough and if you need more you were probably in a running fight long enough for a second calldown.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Guess cutting edge is my next thing to save for, if stun grenades make hulks and chargers (the source of most of my deaths when in multiples and supported) that much easier. I love impacts but they’re mostly useful for killing medium swarms, which I have much less trouble with.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I don't think I could do without impacts for spewers. Shooting the drat things before they shoot me is annoying and taking away from hunter-killing, but they're a one-shot with grenades.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i did real well in a run with the airburst actually, but it was on the wide open ice planet. sniped multiple fabs, annihilated patrols, etc.

i think it is very biome dependent whether its good or not. you need long sightlines

Yea I ran the airburst a bunch today and outside of one hilarious TK on my first run it was a champ.

The absolute best use for the airburst rocket is on the egg mission for bugs. You can fire the rocket and hit the top of the little mountain area that protects the eggs causing all the airbursts to funnel down. I wiped out 2 of the 3 egg nests in the first 90 seconds of a mission like this. It only took one rocket each. It’s loving unreal how ideal it is for that. Outside of that use case its best when you’ve got long sight lines, but with the recent patch its very useable now so long as you have a healthy respect for how easily it can murder you.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Give me a ship upgrade to highlight chargers when I'm dropping

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea I ran the airburst a bunch today and outside of one hilarious TK on my first run it was a champ.

The absolute best use for the airburst rocket is on the egg mission for bugs. You can fire the rocket and hit the top of the little mountain area that protects the eggs causing all the airbursts to funnel down. I wiped out 2 of the 3 egg nests in the first 90 seconds of a mission like this. It only took one rocket each. It’s loving unreal how ideal it is for that. Outside of that use case its best when you’ve got long sight lines, but with the recent patch its very useable now so long as you have a healthy respect for how easily it can murder you.

Also loving the Airburst. Even better that it fits a role perfectly. It's not a "4-man airburst wins everything" type gun, it's a "1 is all your squad needs" thing. Let the Airburst hit the patrol/nest first and everyone else mops up after, it's great.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

playing around with zap gun primary, laser dog, eats, and eagle airstrike with (unfortunately not stun) impact grenades. this is pretty fun

there's a new bug where if the map has toxic fog covering the air it doesn't show up on the minimap when you land. the global main map also has a visual bug where you can see "mountains" jut out from the map. still, you can tell though that the toxic fog is still on because with scout armor you can't ping areas to see enemies even though there should be no obstruction

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Tom Tucker posted:

Did they fix Stalker invisibility or maybe just on the fire planet? Also - did they fix pinging the map to find the stalker lair?

A bunch of stalkers I couldn’t see hounded my team for ten minutes and I pinged half the map before finically stumbling into their lair. It was nuts. When they went invis I could barely see them. Difficulty went up about double because of it.

Yeah, pinging POI's was unintended and removed. The description says it's supposed to highlight enemies, and doesn't mention POIs at all.

No more scanning the map. Gotta leg it like everyone else.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Oh sick there's super samples on the new tcs missions

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The patch notes say that they fixed the destroyer upgrade that's supposed to refill your secondary completely with one box, but it still doesn't work on my autocannon. :manning:

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

The patch notes say that they fixed the destroyer upgrade that's supposed to refill your secondary completely with one box, but it still doesn't work on my autocannon. :manning:

I just tested it, it works with the AC and other backpack weapons. It only does that from resupply boxes, not ammo boxes as intended.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Question Time posted:

EAT/Recoilless/Quasar are excellent against Chargers, as are flamethrowers. Thankfully, it's not too hard now to learn how to dance with Chargers - chuck an EAT strat at one and dodging around to pick up and snapshot the other two.

The Charger represents the hard limit of what an autocannon and medium-armor-class weapons can handle. It's dicey at best with an autocannon one-on-one with a Charger (dodge laterally and empty the 10-round mag into its backside), and a losing proposition with two or more or with any nearby swarm units. You are better off running away if you're alone with the autocannon against anything more than one Charger.

Stun grenades are excellent for giving you room to run away, or pinning a Charger so someone with heavy AT or a flamethrower can kill it.

Update: Yeah, after playing against level 7 bugs with the Quasar, IMO the recharge complaints are valid yet overblown. I'm still killing spore towers, shirker nests, Bile Titans and Chargers with consistency. You just spend even more time dancing around, which is annoying. However, a laser rover or a jetpack continues to pair well to keep you safe while you recharge. I'm considering bringing EAT rear end with the Quasar to deal with the annoyance of waiting for my heavy AT to finish charging.

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 30, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Erupter is worth bringing to bug missions just on the off-chance it has spewers all over the place, tried sickle+grenade pistol but it feels bad only getting 1 grenade back per ammo pack on the pistol compared to the silly amount of magazines you still have on the Erupter and the pistol doesn't have the damage to kill spewers like the Erupter can so it's purely a hole closer tool.

My main complaint with the Quasar is that the recharge bar is still lying to you and I'm pretty sure they didn't adjust it for the increased cooldown so the bar looks empty for 7+ seconds.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i did real well in a run with the airburst actually, but it was on the wide open ice planet. sniped multiple fabs, annihilated patrols, etc.

i think it is very biome dependent whether its good or not. you need long sightlines
I've been using it since the patch and it has worked pretty decently now that it no longer fuses on literally everything, but you're correct in that it's very terrain dependent. Especially when used on sloped surfaces, as it appears that at least some of the submunitions only detonate upon hitting terrain (or have a long enough life that in practical use it has to hit terrain), leading to some, uh, pretty inconsistent spread patterns:
https://i.imgur.com/A2FUnjw.mp4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I do wish the Grenade Pistol got at least 2 rounds back per ammo pack.

Feels a bit poo poo hoovering up all the extra ammo packs I find on the field.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Now that the airburst launcher is okay - I really want them to make all submunitions have a like 5% dud rate and work like landmines now.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Infidelicious posted:

Now that the airburst launcher is okay - I really want them to make all submunitions have a like 5% dud rate and work like landmines now.
10 to 20% dud rate but the in-game description is adamant the rate is only 1-2%

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you hold Reload on the Senator, you gun spin like Revolver Ocelot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6cDTVKHsek

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
^^^gently caress I literally took seconds too long to post lol

Also everyone is talking about the Senator but no one has mentioned the biggest buff it got. More damage? Meh. Speed-loader? No one cares about speed-loaders. No, the biggest buff is what happens when you hold down reload for long enough now:
https://i.imgur.com/DgkaFlY.mp4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

^^^ :ocelot:

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Well that's officially the best side arm.

Just did some runs with the Arc Blitzer and it's a lot better than before. Held off a bug breach with just the Blitzer and another diver with a flame thrower, they were probably doing most of the work but still the Blitzer cleaned up nicely and held it's own outside of that scenario. Against bugs the only thing it lacks is the ability to close holes and deal with stalkers, like, at all. Granted they might be spawning in greater number and they're much harder to track now but I feel like they take at least eight or nine shots to reliably kill. Hunters go down in one or two though so that's fantastic.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Insert name here posted:

^^^gently caress I literally took seconds too long to post lol

Also everyone is talking about the Senator but no one has mentioned the biggest buff it got. More damage? Meh. Speed-loader? No one cares about speed-loaders. No, the biggest buff is what happens when you hold down reload for long enough now:
https://i.imgur.com/DgkaFlY.mp4

you're pretty good

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

Question Time posted:

Flamethrower, aim at a leg. Add in stun grenades for complete lockdown if needed. No fiddly aiming, kills in a couple seconds, and obviously a fine choice against most other small/medium bugs too. Absolutely no help against spewers/titans, of course, and a little ammo hungry, but you can't ask one stratagem to do everything for you. Just keep a trigger finger on your dive button for when you set yourself on fire; stim+2 armor might be a good idea.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Community Manager made a highlighted list of the weapon buffs and nerfs, so it's a bit easier to parse

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mesadoram posted:

I've realized I don't just dislike fighting bugs, I actually kind of hate fighting bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Laser rifle is actually pretty good now