Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

still lol that there was no sudden nazi uprising, just the same loyal voters
the "can't have 4 more years of the help telling me what to do" romney boost would qualify more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ruffian Price posted:

the "can't have 4 more years of the help telling me what to do" romney boost would qualify more

obviously all those other voters are undecided conservatives that are waiting for the deocrats to take a more right wing stance

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Beeftweeter posted:

would you not feel debased if you were pressured into voting for someone you think is a terrible candidate while knowing that it would make zero difference to the result?

people are trying to make it sound like the only moral thing to do is vote for joe biden, when the reality is that many of us live in states that are virtually certain to have all of their electoral votes go to biden. the others are in states that are virtually certain to have them allocated to trump. in either, voting for biden is absolutely pointless if you don't like the guy

"it is not worth my time to stroll down to my polling place and vote for joe biden" and "it is fundamentally debasing to vote for joe biden" are different propositions that are often conflated. i find the first understandable but not the second. if someone says to you that not voting for joe biden is grotesque moral negligence, and you think that's dumb because you don't live in a swing state, the correct response is "that's dumb, i don't live in a swing state," not "actually, voting for joe biden is in fact the grotesque moral negligence!"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

if hillary's showing wasnt embarrassing enough, the 2020 numbers were 81 million democrat to 74 million republican putting both litterrally off the scale of that chart lol.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Improbable Lobster posted:

I only make credible, actionable threats against government officials from my own country, tyvm

they dont come for you, they come for jeff atwood of yospos, lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

raminasi posted:

"it is not worth my time to stroll down to my polling place and vote for joe biden" and "it is fundamentally debasing to vote for joe biden" are different propositions that are often conflated. i find the first understandable but not the second. if someone says to you that not voting for joe biden is grotesque moral negligence, and you think that's dumb because you don't live in a swing state, the correct response is "that's dumb, i don't live in a swing state," not "actually, voting for joe biden is in fact the grotesque moral negligence!"

it is fundamentally debasing to vote for joe biden, though. and which states are swing states?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

as funny as that pic is, the numbers are wrong for 2016. hillary actually had roughly the same number of popular votes as obamna did in 2012.

the blue bar for 2016 should actually be slightly higher than i made it here but im not going to fix it. close enough.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

post hole digger posted:

as funny as that pic is, the numbers are wrong for 2016. hillary actually had roughly the same number of popular votes as obamna did in 2012.

the blue bar for 2016 should actually be slightly higher than i made it here but im not going to fix it. close enough.

lol yeah, unattributed graphs with 2008 CPU benchmark aesthetics are questionable

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

reminder that three dem party faithless electors cast votes for colin loving powell instead of hilldawg. lmao. stupidest election in my lifetime.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

post hole digger posted:

the whole chart is wrong though. i thought trump had a similar total to romney and he kinda did, mitt romney got 59 million votes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

post hole digger posted:

reminder that three dem party faithless electors cast votes for colin loving powell instead of hilldawg. lmao. stupidest election in my lifetime.

her getting 235 electoral votes instead of 232, when trump got 306, does not seem like it would have made a difference

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

post hole digger posted:

nice, thanks. worldview amended

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

her getting 235 electoral votes instead of 232, when trump got 306, does not seem like it made a difference

no, obviously not, but thats not my point, which is that its very funny and also indicative of something wrong with that whole hillary for president plan in general.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol i just checked the 2012 results again and i missed that obamna only got 62.6 million votes, roughly 4 million less than hilldawg. shows how ridiculous the electoral college is

post hole digger posted:

no, obviously not, but thats not my point, which is that its very funny and also indicative of something wrong with that whole hillary for president plan in general.

but yeah when a republican secretary of defense (like dick cheney was!) is your alternate democrat, well,

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Beeftweeter posted:

it is fundamentally debasing to vote for joe biden, though.

no? it's not? that's my point. it's a presidential election vote. describing it as "debasing" is weird.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

raminasi posted:

no? it's not? that's my point. it's a presidential election vote. describing it as "debasing" is weird.

well i think it is. if that's weird i don't care

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

raminasi posted:

Being coerced into doing something that you believe is morally wrong, like voting for a lovely president who does things that you think are unethical, is debasing. "Lowering one's moral character" is the literal definition of the word.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 30, 2024

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
as in, "Sagebursh debases himself further and further with each post"

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
debaser is a good song

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
god i hate the pixies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont actually hate them. theyre like the beatles for me, i spose. important but i dont like the music

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's hard for me to hate a guy who decided that, as Francis Black, his stage name would be Black Francis. That's a masterstroke.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
if you haven’t come across it, I recommend reading Nixonland in the near future. Nixon isn’t quite the main character - it’s not a biography about him. rather, it provides an incredibly dense reporting of the political and cultural milieu from 65-72 and how the modern conservative movement got started. everything we see now began by 1968 - the only main influence missing is the evangelical right, which hadn’t yet formed itself fully. but my god, the quotes I’ve read from back then that match exactly with the same quotes we still hear today - it’s foundational to how our society structures itself still. specifically, the encampments over genocide happening right now mirror the college protest experiences from that period exactly; the only difference is that Americans aren’t dying directly, and the cops are massively prepared in comparison (the book mentions that mace only appeared shortly before the 1968 DNC in Chicago), and the politicians have had 60 years of brotherhood with Israel.

anyways, it’s as clear-eyed account as you could hope for, with a million party anecdotes hiding within, and reported meticulously. it’s also wildly entertaining; it doesn’t make history feel like homework and it’s written in a comfortable way, deftly mixing straight reporting with conversational passages. could not recommend more highly. essential.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sagebrush posted:

Being coerced into doing something that you believe is morally wrong, like voting for a lovely president who does things that you think are unethical, is debasing. "Lowering one's moral character" is the literal definition of the word.

i think that it is weird to assign substantial moral weight to votes in a presidential election, especially when done in the same breath as strenuous insistence that said votes don't matter.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Enderzero posted:

if you haven’t come across it, I recommend reading Nixonland in the near future. Nixon isn’t quite the main character - it’s not a biography about him. rather, it provides an incredibly dense reporting of the political and cultural milieu from 65-72 and how the modern conservative movement got started. everything we see now began by 1968 - the only main influence missing is the evangelical right, which hadn’t yet formed itself fully. but my god, the quotes I’ve read from back then that match exactly with the same quotes we still hear today - it’s foundational to how our society structures itself still. specifically, the encampments over genocide happening right now mirror the college protest experiences from that period exactly; the only difference is that Americans aren’t dying directly, and the cops are massively prepared in comparison (the book mentions that mace only appeared shortly before the 1968 DNC in Chicago), and the politicians have had 60 years of brotherhood with Israel.

anyways, it’s as clear-eyed account as you could hope for, with a million party anecdotes hiding within, and reported meticulously. it’s also wildly entertaining; it doesn’t make history feel like homework and it’s written in a comfortable way, deftly mixing straight reporting with conversational passages. could not recommend more highly. essential.

i read that book last year and it rocks. i have the invisible bridge on my shelf and i'd like to read that soon since i've been thinking about that period in history a lot lately. i don't know if perlstein is the right guy to do it, but i'd love for someone to write a similar book about the clinton years -- theres so much to chew on there with nafta, the early home internet, and all the intense anti-crime stuff from that time. a fabulous failure by nelson lichtenstein looks interesting but i dont know if it will cover all of the cultural stuff in the same way.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

please vote in your local elections, you can just leave the president option blank or write in a comedy answer

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

please vote in your local elections, you can just leave the president option blank or write in a comedy answer

this is a one horse town and horses can't be mayor. it's in the constitution

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Internet Old One posted:

I need to speak the language of my generation:
So the election is like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the arcade game (not the NES version the real one). You're fighting loving the GOP and Mitch McConnel is Shredder and you finally beat him but now you're on Krang who showed up from some TV dimension and just loving took over the foot clan just like Trump did to the GOP.

We got all four players playing and we're running out of quarters and Krang is flashing red like nonstop and your bitch rear end is going to play skeeball because they have knock off tickle me elmos.

Dude you're too loving old for tickle me elmo thats why you didn't get one and the ones they sell are called "crazy red guy" it's bullshit but you want a loving tickle me elmo and won't listen to reason.

loving krang dude we've spent like $20 on tokens you shithead. I can't believe my mom paid for free pizza and you ate it all and do this.

i dont know what to tell you other than that, joe biden is currently doing stuff that's worse than anything trump ever did

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

raminasi posted:

you don't have to think of voting as a general moral endorsement

you can if you want to

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Internet Old One posted:

Someone who can beat trump. Just lol at your entire family if you're not voting on that single issue.
Who has a passport full of visas and knows how to fish? This guy right here so u do u.

Edit: Wow there are a bunch of protest voters here. I guess we really are getting Trump...I'd better start trimming my budget and rebalancing my portfolio for that simple life.

you would actually tell someone to vote for a guy who is actively killing and genociding their family, right now as we speak? i wouldnt ask anyone to do that

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

you can if you want to

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you can do whatever you want in America

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't want trump or Biden to win, so I'm not gonna vote for either of those guys

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

PokeJoe posted:

I don't want trump or Biden to win, so I'm not gonna vote for either of those guys

Same! It's pretty logical

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

qirex posted:

the main line I remember was "of course we're all involved in politics, we're all an election or two from being out of business"

they are keenly aware that everyone hates them and they're middlemen whose business only exists because of a set of outdated laws so they work very hard to keep those laws in place

I am so excited for this and I hope to fuckin god it helps drive the price of vehicle ownership back down to more sane levels. there’s a German article somewhere on Handelsblatt that talks about how a customer could order a vehicle online after checking it out at the dealer and have it delivered in a month or less, and a near elimination of overproduction. then dealerships could be points of service as well as provide test drive vehicles and they can get a percentage of the sale if they convince the owner to order in the dealership.

based on sales trends they could dynamically allocate parts and base new designs on what sells best, which means sales could return to influencing the offerings of vehicles and bring body types like wagons, utes, and generally smaller cars back into viability. especially if the government does the right thing and updates cafe standards to desubsidise SUV production

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i went to go look at a brand new 2023 miata with six miles on it. soul red crystal. gorgeous

the sales dude did his thing and was all 'let me go talk to my manager' and i said 'hey man, look, i'm writing a check for this. We can be done in twenty minutes. Get me the quote but i promise you, if it has any extended warranties, paint protection, clear bras or upgraded floor mats in the quote, i'm walking."

he came back with a quote $2700 above msrp with a clear bra and upgraded floor mats.

i said thank you for the test drive and your time and walked out

they only want to make sales to people that do a 72 month at 6.90% or w/e. gently caress em.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

I'm voting for "no genocide at all" and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

so you’re happy to just delegate your vote for either Biden or Trump to the majority of the voters in your state

“no genocide” isn’t an option today, and refusing to vote for one of the two pro-genocide candidates doesn’t mean you aren’t mathematically contributing to the victory of one or the other so you’d best make peace with that because that’s the reality you live in

eschaton fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 30, 2024

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah sagebrush, do your patriotic duty and make sure cali doesnt flip red.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
if you get clear bras the miata's huge boobs will show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

eschaton posted:

so you’re happy to just delegate your vote for either Biden or Trump to the majority of the voters in your state

“no genocide” isn’t an option today, and refusing to vote for one of the two pro-genocide candidates doesn’t mean you aren’t mathematically contributing to the victory of one or the other so you’d best make peace with that because that’s the reality you live in

so youre happy to vote for genocide? thats pretty messed up