Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cryptoclastic posted:

When does he come back to Justified? I tried to get into the show but so far there hasn’t been enough Goggins. I’m only five episodes in at this point.

Episode 7. Good news tho, episode 6 is really good, despite the lack of Boyd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I had never watched Justified and, for the longest time, I thought it was just a show set in the old west with Olyphant as a sheriff. So when the sequel series happened last year and I saw a clip of him in a convenience store, I was incredibly confused.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I had never watched Justified and, for the longest time, I thought it was just a show set in the old west with Olyphant as a sheriff. So when the sequel series happened last year and I saw a clip of him in a convenience store, I was incredibly confused.

The one you're thinking of is Deadwood.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Olyphant gets overshadowed by Goggins, which will happen, but he’s great as Raylan. The show is stacked great characters, recurring or one off - Tim, Rachel, Art, Dewey, Constable Bob, Shelby Parlowe, Limehouse, WYNN DUFFY

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wynn Duffy and his Winnebago of Rage

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The most put upon man in Kentucky

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

The one you're thinking of is Deadwood.

Technically Mandalorian is also Olyphant as the sheriff of a desert frontier town in the past.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One day I'll watch justified. Whenever I'm able to get over the hump of the constant "it was justified" lines that litter the first episode.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm really enjoying Knuckles. And I really enjoyed the Sonic movies. They're just strangely well done and the casting was great.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

Technically Mandalorian is also Olyphant as the sheriff of a desert frontier town in the past.

Super-technically, he also has an incredibly brief cameo as a... Sort of cowboy? on The Good Place

Because the Judge thinks he's hot, you see

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

bull3964 posted:

Paramount Global kicked their top CEO out and isn't replacing him with a new one, establishing an "Office of the CEO" instead with 3 execs. They are the CEOs of CBS,
Showtime/MTV, and Paramount Pictures/Nickelodeon.
https://deadline.com/2024/04/shari-redstone-paramount-memo-george-cheeks-chris-mccarthy-brian-robbins-bob-bakish-exit-1235899097/

Seems like a pretty clear sign that a merger is going to happen really soon.

Oh, and this is hilarious.

https://www.ign.com/articles/paramount-ceo-earnings-mission-impossible-2024

Three CEOs? No wonder they're bankrupt. I mean the golden parachutes for three of them is probably approaching a billion dollars alone.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Super-technically, he also has an incredibly brief cameo as a... Sort of cowboy? on The Good Place

Well, she's right

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rappaport posted:

Goddd I forgot about that.

Here's a montage of his scenes (Good Place spoilers, obviously)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcS-CYp7e2E

I really really liked The Good Place when it aired, but I feel like even four years removed, I bet a lot of it does not hold up. But I feel the same about most Michael Schur shows. They're so "of the time" they're written that going back means that you're going to get a bunch of dated pop culture references.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I honestly wish The Good Place had only been one season, and I say that even though I enjoyed the show. It was just such a nice twist and climax.

But I was also a GIANT fan of Prison Break and not only did I not watch the following seasons, I refuse to recognize their existence. That was a huge 1 season show.

Now I'm trying to think of others that fit that mold. Dexter maybe?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jason's pop culture references never clicked with me because knowing it's two sports things that are not well regarded. Most of Tahani's references likewise work just as well knowing the celebs as not.

It's one of those shows I throw in the background for rewatches now and again. The whole show is pretty snappy, they don't really linger or drag. If anything, season 1 is by far the slowest and it seemed like even by end the first or second episode you're meant to get the first twist but I think the ride is great so why short it.

Season 1 initial premise, season 2 foment rebellion against heaven and hell, season 3 beta for new afterlife system, season 4 fix heaven.

It's a solid show, can't even remember why I disliked it the first time through season 1.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Mordiceius posted:

I really really liked The Good Place when it aired, but I feel like even four years removed, I bet a lot of it does not hold up. But I feel the same about most Michael Schur shows. They're so "of the time" they're written that going back means that you're going to get a bunch of dated pop culture references.

I don’t feel that The Good Place relied on pop culture references in the least bit
Either way the show has an amazing story and great characters, it holds up 100%

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

bull3964 posted:

Paramount Global kicked their top CEO out and isn't replacing him with a new one, establishing an "Office of the CEO" instead with 3 execs. They are the CEOs of CBS,
Showtime/MTV, and Paramount Pictures/Nickelodeon.
https://deadline.com/2024/04/shari-redstone-paramount-memo-george-cheeks-chris-mccarthy-brian-robbins-bob-bakish-exit-1235899097/

Seems like a pretty clear sign that a merger is going to happen really soon.

Oh, and this is hilarious.

https://www.ign.com/articles/paramount-ceo-earnings-mission-impossible-2024

Merger with who? WBD?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I would love to watch Justified sometime because I like Western-adjacent stuff but I have an irrational dislike of Timothy Olyphant. It's like he sucks the energy out of anything he's in. The first time I can remember seeing him was Die Hard 4 and he played the blandest most forgettable villain of all time and I think that ruined him for me.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 30, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

1glitch0 posted:

Merger with who? WBD?

Likely Skydance.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The triumvirate the most stable form of leadership and power sharing since the Romans

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Medullah posted:

I honestly wish The Good Place had only been one season, and I say that even though I enjoyed the show. It was just such a nice twist and climax.

But I was also a GIANT fan of Prison Break and not only did I not watch the following seasons, I refuse to recognize their existence. That was a huge 1 season show.

I really liked season 4 of Prison Break. The overall story was off the rails (for better or worse), but the first half of the season was basically repeated 40 minute heist movies, which I'm all for.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Prison Break is a perfect half season show in that anything outside of the prison can be skipped.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I would love to watch Justified sometime because I like Western-adjacent stuff but I have an irrational dislike of Timothy Olyphant. It's like he sucks the energy out of anything he's in. The first time I can remember seeing him was Die Hard 4 and he played the blandest most forgettable villain of all time and I think that ruined him for me.
Yeah that'll do that but you'll get over it once you realize Justified is a cast of amazing characters and not just Tim being Tim.

I still wish they made a Wynn Duffy show ala Better Call Saul.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Better Call Saul was great all the way through, but the first season was such a perfectly self-contained backstory for Saul Goodman that it almost makes me wish they had stopped there. Rolling back part of his character development at the start of season 2 felt jarring. It's weird when a show is good all the way, but the first season feels like it would have been better as a standalone.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The best characters on Justified are the antagonists. Walton Goggins and Margo Martindale (even though she was only really in one season) are amazing in it. Olyphant is fine, and I don't dislike him, but I do know what you mean.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

IRQ posted:

The best characters on Justified are the antagonists. Walton Goggins and character actor Margo Martindale (even though she was only really in one season) are amazing in it. Olyphant is fine, and I don't dislike him, but I do know what you mean.

Helped clarify that for you.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

if it makes you feel any better, everyone involved in that movie hated their characters except bruce willis.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oasx posted:

I don’t feel that The Good Place relied on pop culture references in the least bit
Either way the show has an amazing story and great characters, it holds up 100%

It's just so good. I have issues with how it handles the trolley problem but I can hardly find any fault otherwise. I am just such a sucker for shows where characters do impressions of each other and the fact that they took time out to do an entire "characters do impressions of each other" episode puts it on my all-timer list

Really about the only thing I think is "weak" about it is that the characters are necessarily just too nice and likable and obviously-redeemable for it to ever be plausible that traits like "indecisive" or "stupid" or "vain and posh" would be damning in the first place. The later-season twist that the heaven entrance requirements are just fundamentally broken feels like a retcon to deal with that but during S1/S2 it all kinda stretches credibility.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm not saying you're wrong, because opinions are opinions and obviously feel how you feel, but it's harsh to judge him based on Die Hard 4. That was a terrible movie where everyone making it was having a bad time. (The only thing it has going for it is that it's not Die Hard 5.)

I started to love Olyphant when I saw his interviews with Conan O'Brien. It's where I started to understand the energy he's trying to bring. He can be hilarious when he's off the cuff. Die Hard 4 was absolutely the wrong role for him. I want to check him out in more comedic roles.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Data Graham posted:

It's just so good. I have issues with how it handles the trolley problem but I can hardly find any fault otherwise. I am just such a sucker for shows where characters do impressions of each other and the fact that they took time out to do an entire "characters do impressions of each other" episode puts it on my all-timer list

Really about the only thing I think is "weak" about it is that the characters are necessarily just too nice and likable and obviously-redeemable for it to ever be plausible that traits like "indecisive" or "stupid" or "vain and posh" would be damning in the first place. The later-season twist that the heaven entrance requirements are just fundamentally broken feels like a retcon to deal with that but during S1/S2 it all kinda stretches credibility.

I mean the trolley problem episode is worth it just for how Michael solves the problem (joke from an old-ish show behind spoiler)

Didn't the show start discussing how absurdly over-the-top awful "real" Hell was fairly early on? It's funny that these mundane gently caress-ups would've wound up down there and it's a consistent theme. poo poo, am I going to have to re-watch this now

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Trolley Problem is one of the funniest episodes of The Good Place, I was crying laughing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Haha I grew up in a religion with a god who viewed all people as equally lovely and sinful and fundamentally unworthy of entering heaven. To God, even thinking about doing something wrong is equally as bad as doing that thing. Chidi is just as evil as [insert genocidal fascist here] in God's eyes, so I have no qualms seeing any of the residents as hellbent sinners. Plus Tahani was rich, which most people agree is one of the worst things anyone can be. The retcon hack Christians came up with to get anyone into heaven was way worse than anything in The Good Place.

Curious what your issue with the trolley problem was?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Khanstant posted:

Haha I grew up in a religion with a god who viewed all people as equally lovely and sinful and fundamentally unworthy of entering heaven. To God, even thinking about doing something wrong is equally as bad as doing that thing. Chidi is just as evil as [insert genocidal fascist here] in God's eyes, so I have no qualms seeing any of the residents as hellbent sinners. Plus Tahani was rich, which most people agree is one of the worst things anyone can be. The retcon hack Christians came up with to get anyone into heaven was way worse than anything in The Good Place.

Ok

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I did a full rewatch of Justified during the height of the pandemic and it really holds up. Great show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Khanstant posted:

Don't mean to derail (haha) but the show doesn't seem to really grasp what the fundamental nature of the choice is. The trolley problem is about the concepts of intervention and culpability, i.e. "if by not acting when you have the opportunity, the train kills five people, have you committed murder?" Or "If you intervene and save five people, have you not murdered the one you deliberately turned the train toward?" It's a question about ethics and there is no "right answer".

But the show takes this weird tack where it makes it about "which would you rather kill" given two hypothetical victim classes. "Who would you rather kill, your ex-boyfriend or five squirrels?" "OK but what if the squirrels had machine guns??" As soon as Eleanor or anyone says "easy, I'd kill Santa Claus" or whatever, he says "OK! But what if ...<weird twist hypothetical>", which makes it not about ethics but about a kid bribing his brother to eat a mud pie or something.

Yeah it's funny and I get that the point of the episode is to show that Michael is loving with Chidi and forcing him to make up his mind under pressure and to be good comedy. But it's wildly missing the point of the trolley problem.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 30, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Watching Good Place at the same time I found out about Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell was pretty funny

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think they should get points for even mentioning it. Whenever fictional narratives existing in popular genre outside of rigorous academia includes heady ideas from the latter, I think being forgiving towards its less than exact application is something worth considering. Esp since this is supposed to be a comedy sitcom.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nah, he's great. His podcast appearances with Conan are some of the best stuff you can listen to. Their friendship is fantastic.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Michael got the objectively correct solution to the trolley problem, not sure what the issue is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shageletic posted:

I think they should get points for even mentioning it. Whenever fictional narratives existing in popular genre outside of rigorous academia includes heady ideas from the latter, I think being forgiving towards its less than exact application is something worth considering. Esp since this is supposed to be a comedy sitcom.

For sure, and I probably learned more about various philosophers from Chidi's lectures than from anything I actually studied anywhere else lol