Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SlothBear posted:

I think you also might be able to just pick up her corpse and throw it out of the field? But yeah those things all cost actions and I didn't see the scenario in which it was worth an action when she was just going to run in and die again. I was trying to figure out some way to cancel the no-heal field on her but I didn't see it. Oh well! :shrug:

A globe could work for sure but I didn't have any of those scrolls in Act 2. Never even occurred to me to look for those that early tbh! And yeah, it will only really work if she says in it which I would be dubious of the AI doing.

she's there to eat the first round or two when the fight is actually dangerous, after that she can stay down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

wizard2 posted:

Im at the very end of Act 2 with my meaniehead Durge.

Kressa Bonedaughter is so freaking good. also,

I knew what would happen and I killed Mizora in her pod and Wyll had an ignoble offscreen death but I went with it hehe :hehe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwjOPJo4c4o&t=68s

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does that Shrek have accurately modeled genital bounce

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Big red lady too scary for my party. She can stay back at camp with the creepy swashbuckler and the vampire. But next playthrough...

EDIT: I ran into someone possibly pretending to be a paladin. I questioned him a little about it and he got pissed off and attacked, so I thought "Oh! The big red lady was telling the truth!" but then he cast some sort of paladin protection spell on himself and I thought "Oh! She was lying!" but it was too late and I had to eradicate him and his companions. So... was he or was he not who he claimed to be?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 29, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Calumanjaro posted:

I was punished for my hubris this morning. My honour mode play-through had been going great, I had just murdered the Inquisitor with no issues. Then my whole party got yeeted off the cliff going down to get the blood of Lathander, after I thought "maybe I should split my party for this... nah it'll be fine."

Big oof, that sucks. I almost had the exact same poo poo happen in my current run. Thankfully my paranoia is now at 20 out of 10 due to previous failures. I kept the rest of the party outside that area entirely and sent Astarion in solo. While trying to disable the very first trap he walked just slightly in front of it and flew off the cliff. Woulda been a wipe. Seems like the range of the traps is larger than the graphic.

Never settle for "it'll be fine". This game is a total rear end in a top hat and if the only way you could die is rolling a crit 1 when you have advantage, it will do that to you :argh:

crepeface posted:

i know you can walk into water or use soap to clean yourself

wait what (yes yes very on-brand question from a goon)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dick Trauma posted:

Big red lady too scary for my party. She can stay back at camp with the creepy swashbuckler and the vampire. But next playthrough...

EDIT: I ran into someone possibly pretending to be a paladin. I questioned him a little about it and he got pissed off and attacked, so I thought "Oh! The big red lady was telling the truth!" but then he cast some sort of paladin protection spell on himself and I thought "Oh! She was lying!" but it was too late and I had to eradicate him and his companions. So... was he or was he not who he claimed to be?

He was lying about his motives but not lying about being a paladin

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Janissary Hop posted:

I wanted to see what would happen if you revealed the whole situation with her family. Turns out nothing interesting. So yeah, it would have been better to just approach her the normal way and use the deception option to keep the prisoner alive (I beelined straight for the rescue for RP purposes) than approach from the bedroom and be surrounded by bottomless pits.

My original plan was to rescue the captive with Astarion under greater invis then have the Durge handle their business. But you get put in the regular dialogue.

So I had a knock scroll I was holding onto and had the Durge go invis with a potion and use a knock scroll on the altar. You can still mock the family bush.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Hey now, don't be bigoted, paladins can be evil assholes too!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dick Trauma posted:

Big Red Lady has the personality of an excitable puppy... with ten years or horror behind her.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

He was lying about his motives but not lying about being a paladin

To be slightly more accurate..

he's a fallen paladin, dispatched by Zariel, one of the Archdukes of Hell, to drag Karlach back to the Nine Hells to continue fighting in Hell's wars. You can find this out in speaking with the dead and/or a note, I forget if it's both or just speaking with the dead

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...Just gonna say, for the record, having an Expanded Party Size and just taking *everyone* with you is really funny in the Self-Same Trial.

EDIT: Okay, this is getting *frustrating.* I've got the "Enemy of Justice" debuff, and have since getting the prisoners out of Moonrise Towers. Usually, as far as I know, this means I left someone alive, and they've got the "witness" condition, and killing them should remove it.

The problem? I've scoured the tower top to bottom. No one has the "Witness" condition. There are no witnesses. None. No one alive in the prisons, or on the docks I left through via the prison exit. Killing the character with the "Enemy of Justice" condition doesn't stop them being angry at him, either. What the making GBS threads hell is going on? I want to get this dealt with, because it will cause problems later that I don't want to deal with.

EDIT 2: Well, this appears to be solved. Found some code to paste into the Script Extender that clears the crime, as long as I'm close to Moonrise when I paste it in. Now if I could just get Cerys to stop loving joining every combat from all the way in Last Light Inn no matter where in the loving region I am.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 29, 2024

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, I'm not sure what makes the gnomes at the Grymforge hostile towards you or not when you battle Nere.

My first time playing, they fought alongside me until I realized the fight was tough, so I blew the horn to call in my giant trolls to fight alongside me, then the gnomes went hostile, and I had to kill them all.

Today, same thing again, and I realized that they were hostile, so I reloaded my save, and tried again. This time Nere ordered all the gnomes killed before the battle even started.

So I reloaded a few more times because the dwarves kept on knocking my party into the lava, and never again were the gnomes fighting alongside me, they just cowered in fear the entire time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You can use Minor Illusion to lure individual Duergar over and shove them off a cliff before you fight. I think you can get at least 4 out pretty easily, as well as the eye that's floating around.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

grack posted:

You can use Minor Illusion to lure individual Duergar over and shove them off a cliff before you fight. I think you can get at least 4 out pretty easily, as well as the eye that's floating around.

Even the Evil Eye loves to see a kitty

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

For whatever reason the Duergar don't have a mechanic like the goblins do to gather and alert the whole base so there's nothing stopping you from just... killing them all in tiny groups. Nere even comments on it if there are no Duergar around when you "rescue" him. Bonus: it's a nice big chunk of xp to help you get to level 7 before confronting the gith inquisitor.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Janissary Hop posted:

For whatever reason the Duergar don't have a mechanic like the goblins do to gather and alert the whole base so there's nothing stopping you from just... killing them all in tiny groups. Nere even comments on it if there are no Duergar around when you "rescue" him. Bonus: it's a nice big chunk of xp to help you get to level 7 before confronting the gith inquisitor.

The Creche is like this, too. And there it's even more tightly-packed, meaning the Gith just outside the infirmary hear you trashing the place and just shrug it off.

I didn't get to level 7 before fighting the Inquisitor but don't know what I did wrong. A runepowder barrel blew him up good, and now I'm about to head to act 2.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
is Unseen Menace just about the best 2h weapon in the game? because Invisible Weapon gives you Advantage, you get roughly a 10-15% increase in chance to hit and you get double the chance to crit as well.

i'm halfway through act 3 and i'm dripping in legendaries and epics but it seems like it's still better? sure, you can get other sources of advantage and crit reduction (that doesn't stack with Unseen Menace?) but there's the opportunity cost action economy or in terms of gear (like putting your Risky Ring on an archer or something).

currently using it on my paladin/GOO warlock for the Frighten on crits and Bow of the Banshee for +1d4 and it rules.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I wanna say the math of having Advantage is about equivalent to having a numerical +5 to hit, which is a ton, but you don't get the commensurate +5 to damage that you'd get if it were a +5 weapon. Though if you have Great Weapon Master, having Advantage would pretty much cancel it the -5 penalty to hit while giving +10 that. Put some combo of Magic Weapon, Oil of Accuracy, and Bless on there and you'll really be cooking.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Also risky ring and a better 2h gets you the same thing. In general, I use Sussur and Phalar to endgame and then Balduran

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Unseen Menace is good for the point in the game at which you can get it but in Act 3 a 2H weapon that gives an 85% chance to hit for 45+ damage is better than a 95% chance for 22.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
^ what's the weapon?

tarbrush posted:

Also risky ring and a better 2h gets you the same thing. In general, I use Sussur and Phalar to endgame and then Balduran

i just said i put Risky Ring on a different guy! i'm using Ring of Smiting and something else. plus, it's not like Risky RIng doesn't come with downsides for a frontliner.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Unseen Menace is good for the point in the game at which you can get it but in Act 3 a 2H weapon that gives an 85% chance to hit for 45+ damage is better than a 95% chance for 22.

i wouldn't say unseen menace is the best weapon in the game because there are other ways to hit very high hit chances on higher damage weapons, but it is definitely underrated. minimum dpr is much more important than expected average dpr. e.g., a weapon that gives a 43% chance to hit for 100 damage would be considerably worse than the 85% chance to hit for 45 damage, because fights consist of relatively few rolls. you can't measure by the long-run expected average.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah reliably downing a guy in 2 rounds is worth much more to me than maybe sometimes downing him in 1 or 2, but also maybe downing him in 3 or 4. It's more predictable and easier to plan around.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I feel like I'm missing something with how attacks out of stealth work. I've been splitting Astarion off from the rest of my party and having him start fights by sniping enemies from stealth, then having the rest of my party standing by to start the actual fight. Sometimes it works fine and the enemies get surprised! Usually, it doesn't do anything and starts combat like normal, though with an enemy missing like 25-30 HP. Once or twice, he's successfully shot the enemy, which somehow resulted in my party getting ambushed! If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, please explain it to me because I'm dumb thanks. My party's absolutely not built around stealth, but it would be nice to get that free turn, or at least to stop enemies I can see from ambushing me.

Anyways, it took a bit, but Zehra and Company finally made it to Act 2, and

uh

wow

poo poo gets dark doesn't it

both narratively and literally, though at least the Blood of Lathander helps with the latter. This whole place is just super-sad, especially since I'm trying to interact with all of the Spirit Vestiges that pop up from certain enemies. Also, I'm a bit out of sequence because I went to the House of Healing/morgue first, instead of hitting Moonrise like every NPC said to, but hey I had to clear it out sometime anyways: also, it was incredibly hosed up and one particular scene gave me the most horrifying thing my GPU's had to render!

I spoiler-tagged all the stuff I think people might consider, well, spoiler-y but ymmv, hover with caution.

not the tieflings :smith: even the dream guardian needed a hug with the amount of Bad and Dark in this chapter (also I really like that that's an option)

hey, at least Karlach can hug people now :unsmith: and I had enough Infernal Iron for most of the armor set, which seems really good for Paladin. :toot: Owlbear unrelated.

also romantic things happened
artistry aside, having two transparent people making love is...well, awkward mesh collisions are still a reality in 2024
and yes, I did use some cheating to get the Twitch-exclusive outfit, don't tell on me

I made the speech checks in the House of Healing and what in the gently caress. The look on Zehra's face (and that she's shaking in fear) basically says everything there is to say.
poor Sister Lidwin, she tried her best, I think :smith: and relatedly, poor Arabella :smithicide:

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 30, 2024

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I'm not sure Unseen Menace is even that much lower damage. Because of Advantage and the lower crit threshold, your chance to crit is 19% instead of 5%. That means 14% higher chance of getting an extra hit from GWM (assuming you don't kill something). This isn't even getting into things like Smite or other On Crit effects.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I feel like I'm missing something with how attacks out of stealth work. I've been splitting Astarion off from the rest of my party and having him start fights by sniping enemies from stealth, then having the rest of my party standing by to start the actual fight. Sometimes it works fine and the enemies get surprised! Usually, it doesn't do anything and starts combat like normal, though with an enemy missing like 25-30 HP. Once or twice, he's successfully shot the enemy, which somehow resulted in my party getting ambushed! If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, please explain it to me because I'm dumb thanks. My party's absolutely not built around stealth, but it would be nice to get that free turn, or at least to stop enemies I can see from ambushing me.

I have no idea if this is actually true, but I've heard that the most reliable way to get surprise is to be in turn-based mode, pass through an enemy's cone of vision in stealth (so that a hiding check is rolled) and then make an attack. That will put only the character you're controlling in combat, so you then need to get the other characters into combat on the same turn, so make sure to swap over to them to get them all involved otherwise they'll just hang back like chumps.

Supposedly, you can't surprise non-hostile enemies (yellow circles)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

LifeLynx posted:

The Creche is like this, too. And there it's even more tightly-packed, meaning the Gith just outside the infirmary hear you trashing the place and just shrug it off.

This is where their aggressive social darwinism bites them in the arse lol

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I used the eversight ring instead of the risky ring. Greater Invisibility, Fog Cloud, or Darkness was how I got advantage for attacks. It’s found in the same act.

The main advantage this seems to have vs the risky ring is that Cazador wasn’t a scary fight for me since he couldn’t cast due to blindness from the daylight / fog cloud I covered the arena in.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i am on my phone and i don’t want to google how to spell names but i am in the bookstore right now, the one with the wizard in it. i can’t figure out how to get into the office. i did it before by just. lock picking and the guard was like !! and i told him i wouldn’t be in here if i wasn’t allowed, right? and he was like wig but now when i do it everyone goes aggro. pls advise

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I encountered a burning village and it was pretty frustrating. I could hear people calling for help but couldn't see them, and I find that the camera is sort of a pain in the rear end when trying to move in enclosed areas with multiple levels. I saw a fellow dumping buckets of water on fire at ground level so I went over and tossed a bottle of water to clear a path. I led the party that way and... they all got electrocuted! I realized that Shadow was wearing boots that can create an electric charge, but she wasn't dashing or in combat... anyway I reloaded and took the boots off. Decided to help the people trying to knock the door down and had a laugh when my halfling kicked it in.

Headed upstairs, my entire party generally walking across burning patches instead of just going around them and rescued someone. Went back outside and I could still hear someone calling for help, but I began to wonder if it was a looped environmental sound. Eventually I saw the spoken text onscreen, and it looked like they were upstairs in the same building I was just in.

Back we go into the burning building and everyone getting a little singed again, the gith chops the door down and it explodes, injuring everyone. I lead them into the room which is entirely on fire and have Shadow create water, and it begins to rain!

And everyone gets electrocuted again!

I reloaded, wondering if maybe the dude upstairs is a wizard or some sort of scientist and that there's an experiment gone wrong. I have the gith drink a fire resistance potion and enter the closest building and head upstairs to see if there's another way to get to the victim, and there is. She chops the door down (which explodes) and then lifts the wreckage off of him. He urges her to find a way out, but... can't he just go out the way she came in? That way isn't on fire!

The game has inexplicably switched to turn based mode, making me think that there's an enemy in the room, but nope. Just fire. I turn it off and have the gith chop down another door that leads into the central not-so-burny part of that building, and now I see that the goddamn fire has spread across the entire floor behind me. So... turn based mode. Yeah. Oh well.

The dude does not run out the newly made exit so I decide to talk to him again, because maybe I can pass a strength roll to carry his stupid rear end outside, but... he's gone! While I was trying to find an additional exit for him and burning he'd quietly run out the original hole I'd made.

Anyway, a generally frustrating experience and I still haven't figured out why everyone was getting electrocuted. I was trying to be smart and use my skills and the environment, but nope!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dick Trauma posted:

I was trying to be smart and use my skills and the environment, but nope!

I like these journal style posts and this is my gameplay in a nutshell

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

cash crab posted:

i am on my phone and i don’t want to google how to spell names but i am in the bookstore right now, the one with the wizard in it. i can’t figure out how to get into the office. i did it before by just. lock picking and the guard was like !! and i told him i wouldn’t be in here if i wasn’t allowed, right? and he was like wig but now when i do it everyone goes aggro. pls advise

Lockpick the door out of sight. So you can have a companion talk to the guard and have them face another way so you can sneak and lockpick the door. Alternatively minor illusion to distract but this may pull more NPCs closer to go “Wow Kitty!”. Greater Invisibility will give you a chance to pick the lock without breaking the spell. You could also cast knock then drink an invisibility potion and walk in just close the door behind you.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

lol I wanna play again but I want to wait for the new patch. Put out a release date coward Larian!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Dick Trauma posted:

Anyway, a generally frustrating experience and I still haven't figured out why everyone was getting electrocuted. I was trying to be smart and use my skills and the environment, but nope!

Dick Trauma posted:

I realized that Shadow was wearing boots that can create an electric charge

Did you remember to take the boots off again when you reloaded the game? That is undoubtedly the cause of the electrocution, since you kept on throwing water everywhere, while wearing boots that electrify water.

By the way You're not expected to be able to put out that fire, and I don't think you can. You first go and save the woman from the second floor of the main building of the inn. You can just click on your destination, and your characters will automatically navigated themselves around the fire. Knock the door down, let her out, then go back outside, and she'll give you a prize.

The screaming from the second man, you enter the building to the left, which connects via the second floor. Go up there, knock his door down, save him, and he'll come across the body of his now dead wife. He shares that they were there for a wedding. You can then do a minor side quest where you help him recover the dowry they brought for the wedding.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Black Noise posted:

I used the eversight ring instead of the risky ring. Greater Invisibility, Fog Cloud, or Darkness was how I got advantage for attacks. It’s found in the same act.

The main advantage this seems to have vs the risky ring is that Cazador wasn’t a scary fight for me since he couldn’t cast due to blindness from the daylight / fog cloud I covered the arena in.

To add to this, upcast blindness with all the spell DC gear sitting around is one of the best sources of advantage in act 3. You don't even need to waste gear slots/levels on blind immunity.

E: and also sleet storm is great in any fight where everyone's blind immune provided everyone has appropriate shoes.

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 30, 2024

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i made everyone invisible and told the guard i lived there. all good!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

cash crab posted:

i made everyone invisible and told the guard i lived there. all good!

If you've never played a Larian game before then you're probably unfamiliar with the classic bait & switch where you speak to an NPC with one character to alter their line of sight, then swap to another to sneak past + rob them. Always a useful tactic!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, going to Moonrise first isn't critical, it's just a place to not leave for last, because contrary to what Attempted Gamer Savvy can lead you to believe, it is NOT the Point Of No Return, and in fact is a mild quest hub.

And yeah, I had someone wearing the "electrify water" shoes at some point in my current run, too - I also had them wearing the "cannot be electrocuted" ring, and thought I was so smart.

Until I realized "oh poo poo, no one else is immune to electrocution, oops"

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 30, 2024

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Did you remember to take the boots off again when you reloaded the game? That is undoubtedly the cause of the electrocution, since you kept on throwing water everywhere, while wearing boots that electrify water.

As I mentioned in my post I reloaded and then took the boots off. I also just did some Googling and I'm seeing posts that other people have encountered this.

As for pathing my party usually walks right through environmental hazards even if I use water to clear a path, or route around them entirely. It's annoying. Throughout the fire rescue I could hear them all making little pain sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Dick Trauma posted:

As I mentioned in my post I reloaded and then took the boots off. I also just did some Googling and I'm seeing posts that other people have encountered this.

You know what, now that you mention it, I've had instances where effects are still there even after a reload when they should not be there. Might be a bug?