Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

is there a reason they cant just put a tow hook on a minivan

You absolutely can, but that's not rated for the kinds of hauling (weight) that pickups are okay-to-acceptable at. If you really need to tow you're looking at a diesel one ton anyway, probably a dually, and at that point just jump to commercial vehicles which you can get extremely inexpensively on the used market. Much cheaper than pickups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If you really need to move/tow I'm pretty sure you can just rent a truck from Home Depot last minute. I'm sure that's cheaper than buying a truck as a daily driver.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

is there a reason they cant just put a tow hook on a minivan

Mostly, nah.

For certain things? Yes. Are most people hauling those certain things? No.

I have a truck. I didn’t buy it for any reason except I like it. That’s really it. I do a little of off roading and I tow some stuff but that’s not why I bought.

I just like it :unsmith:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

rufius posted:

Mostly, nah.

For certain things? Yes. Are most people hauling those certain things? No.

I have a truck. I didn’t buy it for any reason except I like it. That’s really it. I do a little of off roading and I tow some stuff but that’s not why I bought.

I just like it :unsmith:

Yeah same. I use the bed for wet or smelly things. Occasionally tow a trailer, but rarely. But also it’s a bomb proof Tacoma and I like it. It’s ok to buy things you like, but dudebros are very defensive.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah same. I use the bed for wet or smelly things. Occasionally tow a trailer, but rarely. But also it’s a bomb proof Tacoma and I like it. It’s ok to buy things you like, but dudebros are very defensive.

Honestly, smelly/messy poo poo is my strongest argument. Yes, I can throw the mulch in the SUV or van but then it’s all over the drat place and I can’t just hose it down.

It’s not the end of the world, but for me, that’s a big win.

I ain’t gonna argue it’s somehow better for all things than a van. That’s patently false lol.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The cheapest new minivan is 10 grand more expensive and gets half the gas mileage of the cheapest new truck. If anything the minivan people are the wasteful ones.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cerekk posted:

The cheapest new minivan is 10 grand more expensive and gets half the gas mileage of the cheapest new truck. If anything the minivan people are the wasteful ones.

What?

Are you talking about a Maverick which is basically a truck-shaped car? That's not exactly the bro-dozer that truck people say they "need".

My Maverick was just built and I'm waiting on delivery. Looking around the roads I see a whole lot of pool service companies driving them, which seems like the perfect vehicle for their use case. I can see those becoming the official pool guy truck just like the Prius has become the official taxi cab.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

adnam posted:

My parents have a 2004 Odyssey that has been a people carrier for my family for neigh on 2 decades. That thing still runs really well and also very luxuriously to boot

Oddly thread appropriate misspelling

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Cerekk posted:

Is this a bit? It sucks if it's a bit

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Most popular minivan is Odyssey starting at 38k with 19c/28hw mpg.

Most popular truck is F-150 starting at 37k with 23c/23hw mpg. I think that's for the 2.7L V6 but I'm not going to be arsed to analyze variants.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Toucan't tell us how to live our lives!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not sure what the deal is with the toucan but I feel like I would at least listen to its advice.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
toucan indicates a derail and has for much of a decade

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah, when the toucans come out, it's time to start getting the thread back on topic.

Give or take a page for bird jokes, of course

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Google’s hellish 2024 search results says toucan lifespan is 20 years, give or take. Respectable but not near the top of the list of BWM bird purchases from a sheer length of commitment perspective.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!

Democratic Pirate posted:

Google’s hellish 2024 search results says toucan lifespan is 20 years, give or take. Respectable but not near the top of the list of BWM bird purchases from a sheer length of commitment perspective.

A large cockatoo may well outlive you!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Birds Without Minivans: it's Toucan Time

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

From C-Spam:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

50 Financial Habits Seen as Lower-Class in Today’s Society

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/50-financial-habits-seen-lower-140101857.html

A really great snapshot of a time when the pressures of living under 21st century capitalism have made society fundamentally dysfunctional

It's "financial habits" but the "financial" part is very very broad. One of the low class behaviors listed in the article is just vaping.

Sorry everyone it's now low class to use public transport so you better go buy that truck if you want to climb the social ladder.

I think my favourites are these:

quote:

Performing Your Own Home Repairs

The ability to pick up a phone and dial a handyman or contractor to come over and make professional repairs to your home would be ideal. But for people who live in the real world, it’s often simply not possible. Taking the DIY route might be seen as a cheap, low-class option; still, the Critical Financial article suggests that “frugal middle-class homeowners and those interested in self-reliance, skill development, and personal achievement all make potential DIYers.”

I don't know what this has to do with finance but:

quote:

Using Profanity in the Workplace

Look, everyone’s been there: A day when you just want to close your office door and let out a big ol’ swear word. Nonetheless, with office politics still skewing relatively conservative, expressing yourself in expletives, however well-earned, might diminish how your peers see you.

An article on Femunity.com addressed the issue directly, stating, “However, traditional standards of ‘professionalism’ tell us that swearing is a big no-no at work and doesn’t reflect well on team members. Some organizations have zero tolerance for swearing.”

I mean, what the gently caress.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

From C-Spam:

Sorry everyone it's now low class to use public transport so you better go buy that truck if you want to climb the social ladder.

I think my favourites are these:

I mean, what the gently caress.

This article is a weird mix of examples of "things that are actually just bad with money", "things that are straight up classist or racist" and old fashioned snobbery.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

quote:

Taking Part in Free Recreational Activities

Enjoying a pick-up game of basketball or a picnic in a public park may seem like a commonsense way to spend an afternoon without spending any money. Yet Critical Financial reports that taking advantage of free outdoor activities can be seen as a sign of being low class.

“Activities like street basketball, community picnics, and library openings may be affordable for all, but that doesn’t mean they’re only enjoyed for that reason or only attended by those on a budget,” the article said.

Sorry everyone, walking is now low class unless you pay for it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's just conspicuous consumption++. It's not enough to be seen spending money, you must not ever be seen not spending money.

Fixing your own stuff being for poors is a neat one because you're caught coming and going. If you're Modern Bourgeoisie then obviously you should be paying someone else to avoid cutting into your lounge time. If you're full Grindset then it's time wasted doing something yourself when you could have paid someone else and invested that time into earning 10 times as much from hustle hustle hustle. The only people who should be repairing their own stuff is filthy poors whose time is worth less than the price of a repair, or influencers and the idle rich doing it as a bit.

I replaced a battery yesterday so presumably I should invest in a potato sack, a camera, or a palatial country estate. Maybe all three.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 30, 2024

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Speaking of rich people nonsense, I got to stay in a fancy hotel last year for work and they had a spa menu that I just had to save a screencap of out of sheer disbelief:

For clarity, you pay and then they bring you the drinks and treatments and things so that you can then do the thing yourself in the bath in your room. Pay $290 for you and your partner to give each other a massage!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

For clarity, you pay and then they bring you the drinks and treatments and things so that you can then do the thing yourself in the bath in your room. Pay $290 for you and your partner to give each other a massage!

you don't want to be seen as financially lower class by buying your own bubbly and running your own bath do you?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
According to that article going to the park or public library means you're a poor because you enjoy free stuff.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

Speaking of rich people nonsense, I got to stay in a fancy hotel last year for work and they had a spa menu that I just had to save a screencap of out of sheer disbelief:

I don't know why you'd do this when you can just jerk off for free.

e: which I guess is low class.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I don't know why you'd do this when you can just jerk off for free.

e: which I guess is low class.

You should call a handy man

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Tomfoolery posted:

:perfect:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Tomfoolery posted:

:captainpop:

Now that's high class.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tomfoolery posted:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

yeah, if you're gonna crosspost from another forum and then halfway through realize that most of the post has nothing to do with the actual thread you're posting to... please reconsider next time? this thread at least ostensibly has a topic for original content

Organza Quiz posted:

now THIS is some high-test, original, BWM. lol jesus christ. i guess that's an obscenely-rich-people hotel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

friends, that is supplies for foreplay, it is not a substitute for their massage services

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tomfoolery posted:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is it gauche to bring my own suitcase of dildos?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

George H.W. oval office posted:

Is it gauche to bring my own suitcase of dildos?

No, but there will be a corkage fee.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

pmchem posted:

now THIS is some high-test, original, BWM. lol jesus christ. i guess that's an obscenely-rich-people hotel.

It was the Langham on the Gold Coast, which was the fanciest of the rich people hotels I've gotten to stay in, easily.

I always pettily enjoy going to breakfast at those places in shorts and a t-shirt with all my tattoos on display.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Subjunctive posted:

Do not use cork dildos

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fil5000 posted:

Do not use cork dildos

dildork

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Subjunctive posted:

Is that what you call the extraction procedure in the ER?

BWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sounds like a gang tag