Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

chaosapiant posted:

Why is that inexcusable? I don’t recall it ever being promised to arrive earlier? It’d be cool if it was out sooner, but “inexcusable” just seems like hyperbole.
A game this big with previously announced DLC should not take over a year to get out. They had to have been working on it prior to the game's launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

chaosapiant posted:

Why is that inexcusable? I don’t recall it ever being promised to arrive earlier? It’d be cool if it was out sooner, but “inexcusable” just seems like hyperbole.

Over one year after release is not a reasonable expectation for pre-ordered dlc, imo. If I had known it would be over a year I wouldn't have pre-ordered it.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
It's going to take longer to ship this single DLC they sold as a preorder than it took for the entire 6 DLC Fallout 4 season pass to ship.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Doesn't it also sorta depend on how big the DLC is? Like if it DLC that actually feels like a year's been worked on it seems like that's pretty reasonably, and if you've pre-ordered you're not getting ripped off by getting small bit of crap. If it's just a piddling little bit of dlc like Automatron, or something, yeah that seems pretty garbage.

The construction kit seeming like it's gonna take most of year coming out seems like they dropped the ball much more. It's not like they're not aware of how important Mods have been for their games in the past.

Edit: Just checked Phantom liberty apparently took almost three years to come out for cyberpunk.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 30, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
They said Starfield would be a game people would be playing ten years later, guess it's because it'll take that long just for the DLC to come out.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

dr_rat posted:

Doesn't it also sorta depend on how big the DLC is? Like if it DLC that actually feels like a year's been worked on it seems like that's pretty reasonably, and if you've pre-ordered you're not getting ripped off by getting small bit of crap. If it's just a piddling little bit of dlc like Automatron, or something, yeah that seems pretty garbage.

The construction kit seeming like it's gonna take most of year coming out seems like they dropped the ball much more. It's not like they're not aware of how important Mods have been for their games in the past.

Edit: Just checked Phantom liberty apparently took almost three years to come out for cyberpunk.

Yeah but Cyberpunk also released consistent patches from basically day 1, added some free items, and didn't promise DLC as a pre-order bonus.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
A year from pre-order DLC to the DLC actually coming out seems excessive, but I also don't know if there's any tested consumer protection about timeframes (in any country) or whether they had some small-print thing about potential release windows in there somewhere

(also honestly it's pretty whatever, honestly; the DLC won't magically fix the game and if the lack of positive reception for Starfield means they focus more dev time on the games that people actually want to play then good on them imo)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Philippe posted:

Yeah but Cyberpunk also released consistent patches from basically day 1, added some free items, and didn't promise DLC as a pre-order bonus.

Hey, Bethesda added free *checks notes* photo mode something! But yeah, I don't see Starfield remotely becoming a cyberpunk no mans sky thing. Even the DLC being any good is probably going to come down a lot to if it mostly just concentrates around the few mechanics that are actually fun and ignores a lot of the stuff that's just broken, and I'm not sure they're aware enough to do that. Sounds like they're going to concentrate on new game+ stuff so don't actually have that high expectations.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
one thing i noticed about NG+ that wasn't immediately obvious to me: you get a ton (though maybe not all) [Starborn] dialogue choices even for quest chains and factions you've never touched in previous runs. i did a rush to NG+10 and only ever beelined necessary quests and the ryujin quest line a few times.

i figured the appeal of NG+ would be to do the quests again and see different dialogue, but only once you've seen the outcome by doing it once before. instead, just get into ng+1 and you're basically good. now you can see the same quest but this time you can choose yes, but sarcastic

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

is this game still bad

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

harrygomm posted:

one thing i noticed about NG+ that wasn't immediately obvious to me: you get a ton (though maybe not all) [Starborn] dialogue choices even for quest chains and factions you've never touched in previous runs. i did a rush to NG+10 and only ever beelined necessary quests and the ryujin quest line a few times.

This sounds bugged, depending on the quest-- the only Starborn checks I got without prior quest completion were things specific to the starborn concept or unity itself, like telling the travelling warp religion encounter people "yeah there's more out there". The Big Obvious Sidequests Where You Learn A Thing Late-Quest (UC, which I did do a second time, but probably Freestar/CF/Ryujin too which I didn't redo) didn't give me any Starborn options the first time around and I didn't bother with them until like NG+4 or something

Google Butt posted:

is this game still bad

it's exactly the same as it was 6 months ago

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

hey, they fixed that one bug

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

You can pose your companions in photo mode now! :downs:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I’m guessing photo mode is still limited to 50 photos, and still doesn’t sync with your Xbox library, so when you uninstall from the console all of your photos disappear

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

I opened the game the other day because I love spaceships but everything is just the same, nothing has improved/changed, this game is such a massive disappointment

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Google Butt posted:

is this game still bad

Honestly, get a month of gamepass and try it out. You might like it! But absolutely don’t pay $70 or whatever for it.

Despite spending six months here roasting it, I actually enjoyed a lot of my playtime. I was thoroughly over it by the end, partly because at that point the flaws were really starting to outweigh the benefits, and the “hey that’s kinda neat” moments were largely replaced by “are you loving serious moments.

Realistically it’s a 7/10 game. It’s way too ambitious, it clearly shows the limits of their engine, it launched basically alongside BG3 and the cyberpunk expansion which made it look even worse, and there’s just a lot of stuff which feels slapped together and unpolished.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just started a replay of Kingdom Come prompted by the sequel announcement and having a much better PC so the framerate is acceptable now, and it really does show just how important a crafted world and a central narrative is to this kind of game because despite being janky as hell, it's still an incredibly compelling experience.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

webmeister posted:

Honestly, get a month of gamepass and try it out. You might like it! But absolutely don’t pay $70 or whatever for it.

Despite spending six months here roasting it, I actually enjoyed a lot of my playtime. I was thoroughly over it by the end, partly because at that point the flaws were really starting to outweigh the benefits, and the “hey that’s kinda neat” moments were largely replaced by “are you loving serious moments.

Realistically it’s a 7/10 game. It’s way too ambitious, it clearly shows the limits of their engine, it launched basically alongside BG3 and the cyberpunk expansion which made it look even worse, and there’s just a lot of stuff which feels slapped together and unpolished.

I think I'd rate it a bit lower than that because so much of it is seemingly unfinished, disconnected, or just a rough draft.

I played it quite a bit too, over three months, and it became very clear by the end of that time that I had seen what was in the game. Like, all of it.

I vaguely hope the DLC will address some of that, or at least add a bit of new content to explore, but I'm not particularly sanguine about either.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Starfield's problems are mostly fixable, but they would have to put in real effort, like redesigning the RNG on planets, upping the amount of handcrafted content, fixing the ship interiors and making the outposts matter something. This is all doable on their engine, if they'd have the will.

However, the backlash Starfield got was nothing like Cyberpunk or NMS, it was disappointing but passable, and a bunch of people like to take screenshots in it, so I don't see any external pressure forcing their hand.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is Bethesda going to pull a miracle and fix their game with their DLC, like CDPR did with Cyberpunk's expansion? Or is Bethesda going to ship some emaciated DLC with two hours of content and then just forget about the game forever?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/04/30/starfields-shattered-space-expansion-gets-release-window-new-patch-coming/?sh=5110127d1786

"fall" for the dlc

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I doubt the DLC took this long because of it's scope, more that BGS couldn't manage to work productively on it, so I guess broadly there's two possible reasons for the DLC taking this long; either the company in shambles internally, or it's been reorganized for the better. So the state of the DLC may well be the bellwether for Bethesda going forward.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

1 year is nuts for pre-order DLC. That's more along the lines of a post-launch DLC that's meaty and not even announced until after the launch.

Which, to be clear, I think pre-order DLC is horseshit. If it's going to be ready that quickly it should be in the base loving game and not withheld to encourage pre-orders or make a buck off of people two months after release.

Still, this is somehow doing both things the worst way possible.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

maybe they brought in some heavies to make the game good, like Diablo 4 appears to have done for the upcoming season

obviously that would be a big job

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah that's probably what happened

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oh the time for cope has passed, we are now in the morbid curiosity phase

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://insider-gaming.com/next-fallout-game-come-faster/

Source: Trust me bro, but still. Like, MS gotta be doing something about this. They gotta.

Also,

https://twitter.com/HazzadorGamin/status/1785316243693805643

lol Bethesda's position in this

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What's toys for Bob up to? Finally getting a real star control 3?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Azhais posted:

The OG SC guys are Kickstarting that right now:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Azhais posted:

They bought themselves out from under MS and then entered a new agreement to make a game for MS.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

holy poo poo

Thanks Starfield thread, you gave me something after all.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Node posted:

Is Bethesda going to pull a miracle and fix their game with their DLC, like CDPR did with Cyberpunk's expansion? Or is Bethesda going to ship some emaciated DLC with two hours of content and then just forget about the game forever?

i think they add it to their stable of games.

TES6 in 2030
FO5 in 2042
some lovely multiplayer/always online rehash of one of their games in 2048
Starfield 2 in 2055

so by then everyone will have forgotten about this DLC and it'll be immaterial

it is a bit sobering though to think: with hour slowly they put out games the next TES will be the last one i ever see unless they speed way the hell up or average length of life shoots way up

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 30, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

harrygomm posted:

TES6 in 2030
FO5 in 2042
Starfield 2 in 2055

it is a bit sobering though to think: with hour slowly they put out games the next TES will be the last one i ever see unless they speed way the hell up or average length of life shoots way up

:hmmyes:

And in a world where Oblivion is considered good and FO76 is profitable, I can't imagine Starfield being anything less than a success, given enough time and more lovely games to make the comparison flattering.

As for the sobering bit, yeah, pretty much. Having been a teenager during the rapid fire of Arena (94), Daggerfall (96), Battlespire (not a mainline but still... 97) and lived through the slower but not glacially so release pace of Morrowind(2002), Oblivion (2006) and Skyrim (2011), it's even a bit depressing.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 30, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

harrygomm posted:

TES6 in 2030
FO5 in 2042
Starfield 2 in 2055

I feel like SF is going to be their Anthem or Tyranny; I doubt we're ever getting a SF2.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
ouch at least tyranny was good

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Megazver posted:

https://insider-gaming.com/next-fallout-game-come-faster/

Source: Trust me bro, but still. Like, MS gotta be doing something about this. They gotta.

There's zero loving way they don't strike while Fallout is actually a somewhat mass-appealing property. I'd be surprised if there aren't some very terse meetings between MS and BGS regarding their pace for another FO game.

Pretty much I only see this going two ways:

1) they pull a NV and just hand the franchise to someone else for what amounts to a spin off. The FO4 engine still looks pretty decent and it will run on a comparative potato these days (hello Series S), plus it's an extremely well understood platform for poo poo like modders. Get some scrappy, smaller studio known for good narrative and hand them a limited license and then tell them to start hiring a gently caress load of modders. gently caress, just go hire the entire team working on that London mod for FO4. If you threw money and effort at this you could probably get something out in a year or two. Lots of reused FO4 assets, but it would be something. Put in a good enough story and people will overlook Ye Olde Gamebryo jank. FO 3 came out in 2008 and FONV in 2010, so it's doable.

2) they tell BGS that this working on one project at a time bullshit is unacceptable when they've got at least two (three if you count Starfield) mainline franchises that tend to sell well. They rapidly scale up BGS so that they can do two things at once. Of course this means that Todd won't be able to have his hand personally on the tiller for every single project. So sad, here are the two competent project managers that we're going to put in charge of the FO and TES projects, now you can go huff glue in a back room supervise both of them. I mean, if they're smart they'd also have those two directly report to whoever the MS rep is in Beth.

All of this is assuming they want to keep the same basic engine. Which, for what they do, is fine. Like, I think some changes need to be made, but Starfield was a fundamentally terrible mismatch of game design and engine choice which led to all of this crap. If you just want another FO or another TES the engine will work for it. That's not to say that they wouldn't be well served by moving to another one, but it's just not imperative if your goal is simple to get another FO game out before everyone forgets about the show and another TES game out before the 2030s.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There is absolutely no way BGS is capable of handling a job where Microsoft tells them to ship a mainline Fallout game in 2 years or less so I'm gonna have my popcorn ready for that one

Doing the New Vegas approach again could work well for them, though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

1) they pull a NV and just hand the franchise to someone else for what amounts to a spin off. The FO4 engine still looks pretty decent and it will run on a comparative potato these days (hello Series S), plus it's an extremely well understood platform for poo poo like modders. Get some scrappy, smaller studio known for good narrative and hand them a limited license and then tell them to start hiring a gently caress load of modders. gently caress, just go hire the entire team working on that London mod for FO4. If you threw money and effort at this you could probably get something out in a year or two. Lots of reused FO4 assets, but it would be something. Put in a good enough story and people will overlook Ye Olde Gamebryo jank. FO 3 came out in 2008 and FONV in 2010, so it's doable.

Like, OK, let's go maximum Amazon series tie in on this. They just make Fallout: New Vegas 2. Tie it in with whatever they're doing in NV in the next season. If you really want to swing for the fences see if MS backstopping the paycheck might bet Obsidian to come back. If not, just get whoever. gently caress, maybe even do it in-house as an actual Microsoft title. Sign Goggins on to do some VO work and have him be an NPC in the game. Maybe a big, important main character, maybe just a cameo in the beginning like Patrick Stewart in Oblivion. You could totally lean in and just do NV2 in the same basic area, or you could use NV as a jump off point before going to who the gently caress cares where. Like, events happen that are tied into the show, your nu-courier pals around with Goggins for a while, then oh no plot happens and you get kidnapped by enclave remnants or the BOS hires you and your vertibird goes down or you get mugged and sold to slaver remnants of Caesar's legion or who the gently caress cares and now you're in . . . I dunno, Texas? Denver? Mexico if you want to be really different? British Colombia if you want to reuse a gently caress ton of Far Harbor assets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Just mod in the Fallout assets into Starfield with the Creation Kit and... oh...