Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How often are the horses smiling in the base game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Yeah, the freaking "realistic marriage mod"

WOW, how did you become so truth teller?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I just started the In Bloom legacy challenge while on a break from my regular legacy save. I like that it's making me do things I've never done before like grow a cowplant, but my god is gardening a whole lot of bullshit. Growing 5 perfect plants is going to take forever.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Which gen are you on in your legacy challenge? I've always wanted to complete it but the farthest I've ever got was gen 3. I guess my attention span is too short, sadly

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

macabresca posted:

Which gen are you on in your legacy challenge? I've always wanted to complete it but the farthest I've ever got was gen 3. I guess my attention span is too short, sadly

Gen 7 is a toddler! It's not really a challenge though, I just like playing one family forever. I play on long lifespan usually. I think I started this save when Eco Lifestyle came out, so it's been a while. I take loooong breaks and resume when new expansions come out.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
The problem for me is that I can't really resume playing on the same save after taking a break. I don't know why.
It's kind of a shame. I love the idea of playing with one family for a long time, making their house bigger and bigger, having some memorabilia from earlier generations around the house. But I lack the resolve to actually get there

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Caphi posted:

They've reinvented Oblivion conversations. Honestly kind of brilliant.

Weren't those just reheated Half-Life "conversations"?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

macabresca posted:

The problem for me is that I can't really resume playing on the same save after taking a break. I don't know why.
It's kind of a shame. I love the idea of playing with one family for a long time, making their house bigger and bigger, having some memorabilia from earlier generations around the house. But I lack the resolve to actually get there

I move houses a lot but it's always a treat to visit a home and be like "hey, I built this four years ago!"

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

has anybody tried all this and is it worth the effort?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1131162350

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
You don't have to do everything on there but it's a pretty good walkthrough for the essential bugfix mods. The fixes definitely make the game a whole lot more playable, but just know it's always gonna be Janky.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

At the very least, you probably want to make sure it's not running at infinite FPS.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Every time I decide to want to play Sims 3 again I think of all the effort it requires to play Sims 3 again and just go back to playing 4 while complaining about it.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Here's what you need to do: limit FPS in your GPU driver, install Smooth Patch, play game. That's it. The Steam guide is basically useless and a lot of the information it has is either straight-up wrong or just useless advice that wastes time without producing significant improvement in anything.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Randomly discovered that the Sims4 kit "bloomin rooms" is 100% off. So free. Not sure how long that will last and for how long it's been going on, but get while the gettin's good.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I didn't even realize "Kits" were a thing.

I guess even Stuff Packs were too much effort to make to round out their launch calendar. Gotta make an even slimmer tier so there's always something new.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Randomly discovered that the Sims4 kit "bloomin rooms" is 100% off. So free. Not sure how long that will last and for how long it's been going on, but get while the gettin's good.

They randomly give the kits away for free every now and then, I got Desert Luxe free last year, and Romantic Garden and Backyard Fun was free back in March too.

I would never, ever pay for them (£4.99 for 20 build/buy items, lol no), but it's a clever marketing trick, while downloading my freebies I bought Realm of Magic because it had 60% off, and to get 3 packs of Sims goodies all at once for eight quid seemed too good to pass up.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

staring down the barrel of doing a reinstall since theres no release date for inzoi yet and i've got work hours to kill

any other must-have bugfix type things or known issues with what i've got below

code:
"New Townie and Random Names.package"
"No_Empty_Venues_When_Arriving.ts4script"
"simsten_townie_skills.cfg"
"simsten_townie_skills_medium.ts4script"
"thepancake1-MoreTraitsInCAS-v1p-1.105.package"
"[helgatisha] CAS Close Up_N1.package"
"[helgatisha] Stand Still in CAS BASE.package"
"Dumbaby chin slider FEMALE_Fixed.package"
"Dumbaby chin slider MALE_Fixed.package"
"Dumbaby Hips Height Slider MALE FEMALE_Fixed.package"
"HFO_TS4ShoulderSliders_Fixed.package"
"LittleMsSam_CallToMeal.package"
"LittleMsSam_CallToMeal.ts4script"
"LittleMsSam_camsin259_SeatingFix.package"
"LittleMsSam_camsin259_SeatingFix.ts4script"
"LittleMsSam_RSM_BG_GuestsOnlyOrderDrinkWhenNotBusy.package"
"LittleMsSam_RSM_EP_GF_FamousSimsGainFollowersAutomatically.package"
"LittleMsSam_ShaneGrey_MentalHygiene_EatAtTable_fix.package"
"LittleMsSam_ShaneGrey_MentalHygiene_EatAtTable_fix.ts4script"
"LittleMsSam_Shimrod_LessMusicalChairs.package"
"lotharihoe_betterreactions.package"
"lotharihoe_betterreactions.ts4script"
"LUUMIA_mod_HipShape_UpdateJune2022.package"
"LUUMIA_skin_VanillaFemale_Nov10Fix.package"
"LUUMIA_skin_VanillaMale_Nov10Fix.package"
"LUUMIA_skin_VanillaMerged_Nov10Fixed.package"
"LUUMIA_skin_VanillaToddlerChild_Nov10Fix.package"
"More_CAS_Columns_(4_Columns).package"
plus the MCCC packages

edit oh i found someone who maintains a master mod list

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 16, 2024

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

It is free till the end of May.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Development for Sims 4 is basically over, right? They are working on Sims 5 right now?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
There's at least one more expansion pack coming sometime between now and August, but yeah, most of the (apparently pretty small) team is working on the next Sims game.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Life By You got delayed again. No release date this time. This game is never coming out lmfao

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

mutantIke posted:

Life By You got delayed again. No release date this time. This game is never coming out lmfao

Where? I can’t find this anywhere online

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

buglord posted:

Where? I can’t find this anywhere online

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/an-update-on-life-by-you-release-date.1680458/

I googled "life by you delayed"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
All I got was the first delay. Huh. This was like 10 days ago. How did I miss that?

Anyway it makes sense that they pushed it back again. I didn’t realize it was supposed to release like next week. The animations still looked really really rough and the choppiness of the game was ridiculous on the dev machines they show content on. I’d prefer them release it at the end of year or something - just so paradox doesn’t have another cities skyline 2 disaster in their hands.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
They've stopped posting on their (normally very active) YouTube account and there are screenshots from community managers in Discord left out of the loop. Seems more and more like this delay is a soft cancellation. Shame, it seems like this is a personal project for Rod Humble and I would have liked to see it released even in a dreadfully unfinished work-in-progress state.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

mutantIke posted:

They've stopped posting on their (normally very active) YouTube account and there are screenshots from community managers in Discord left out of the loop. Seems more and more like this delay is a soft cancellation. Shame, it seems like this is a personal project for Rod Humble and I would have liked to see it released even in a dreadfully unfinished work-in-progress state.

I don't think yet another unfinished simulation game that will never be fixed despite its endless issues is what the world really needs, frankly

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
So does this mean that Maxis, for better or worse, is the only developer that can make a game as complicated as these life sims and that all the many many bugs and janky expansion packs are as good as it can get? Is there no one else out there up to the task!? Idk seems like it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i have more faith in the korean game actually existing in a playable form than the paradox one, by income/employees i think they're like five times larger

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Waterbed Wendy posted:

So does this mean that Maxis, for better or worse, is the only developer that can make a game as complicated as these life sims and that all the many many bugs and janky expansion packs are as good as it can get? Is there no one else out there up to the task!? Idk seems like it.

Yes. Life sims are very complicated and full of development dead ends that only Maxis know from decades of experience. Thousands of man hours will probably be lost on things that would make Maxis employees giggle because there is some note from 2007 to that says "Never Ever Do That!". And before The Sims 4 Maxis was releasing them every 5 years so you would never want to launch your game against a new Sims so they were never funded in the past, which also means a lack of industry experience outside people who have been employed by Maxis.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I don't know if I'd even count Maxis as a set of people who can make these games. They haven't actually created a new one in a decade. That's an awful lot of time for the people who did that do that to disperse.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The director of Life By You is an ex maxis lead, he knows the ins and outs to an extent. Maxis still at that point probably had a legacy culture from 20 years of sim games though that can't easily translate to other studios.

I'm constantly a bit baffled that EA doesn't put more resources into the franchise though. By all accounts they make an insane amount of money off it; like, it's one of the highest earning franchises out there even now. Even if from a cost benefit point of view it didn't for a long time make sense to invest in a whole new entry, burning good will by putting a skeleton crew to dev the expansions is just odd to me.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I think colony sims like Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress are in the same neighborhood as far as semi-hands off setting routines for AI agents and watching them do their thing. I'm sure making the interactions and world work in 3D is most of the work, but I don't know why an indie Sims knockoff would need to be 3D or copy the entire Maxis formula. I think these projects would be more interesting if they had more of a non-Sims hook, like if the neighborhood around your family had set characters (like The Sims inside Stardew Valley) or a focus on running a business alongside your family or something.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Bedurndurn posted:

I don't know if I'd even count Maxis as a set of people who can make these games. They haven't actually created a new one in a decade. That's an awful lot of time for the people who did that do that to disperse.

You would be very surprised at the retention at maxis for employees. They’re treated exceptionally well and a number of them have been at Electronic Arts for 20+ years. Even if you leave EA there is the thing internally known as the EA boomer rang because it really is one of the better companies to work for in the industry.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Koramei posted:

of money off it; like, it's one of the highest earning franchises out there even now. Even if from a cost benefit point of view it didn't for a long time make sense to invest in a whole new entry, burning good will by putting a skeleton crew to dev the expansions is just odd to me.
Right now, they are making enormous revenues from little investment. Management's wet dream.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I get that line of reasoning when it comes to sticking with Sims 4 for ages and not pushing for innovation, but putting such minimal effort into the expansions for so long has just been pissing people off. Compared to the literal hundreds of millions they're raking in, upping the dev team enough to pull of satisfyingly complete expansions has gotta be a blip in the finances and is a much better look.

Anyway unrelatedly, I've been listening to Sims 1 ambience lately as I work and it's been kind of striking that despite the effort they clearly put in to give it a relatively timeless feel, how hilariously 1990s the TV audio is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40LZxRWlLAo

also stumbled upon these for the first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3iddmpQE0Y

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's cursed how those simlish TV jingles are seared into my brain even after all those years

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Those ads are yet more proof that The Sims needs to go back to being a quasi-50s retrofuturistic period piece. I've said it before, I'll say it again. It entirely works in the game's favor!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's come up a few times in this thread but I sincerely think that just from a technology standpoint, going back a few decades suits the gameplay a lot better. The entire idea is built around watching your sims interact with their space and others in their world; dumping half of it onto them sitting idly on a smartphone is just as tedious in game as in our own reality. 80s/90s is perfect; computers can be an expensive
thing that can super-solve a handful of problems but not nearly so much as to let your sim sit on their rear end all day.

It makes me feel real old in weird ways looking at Sims 1 stuff again though. Not just the obvious objects like computers or clothes that are obviously from a different time. It's stuff like the kinds of furniture, decor, wall coverings and fixtures; Sims set out to let you create a whole variety of lifestyles, but ultimate luxury has such a different feel in 2000 compared to 2020.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i liked the gimmick in sims 3 where you could go into the future as the last expansion pack and either live there or bring future objects/people back. I liked a lot of the sims 3 gimmicks tbh

it is funny looking at the sims 4 packs and you can see the clear influence of twilight and harry potter (and even some hunger games) which seems pretty dated now. I don't know what their core audience would want in the same vein for a sims 4 since I get the impression half the YA literature now is just twilight or star wars fanfic with the names changed

double edit heck the hunger games references go back to into the future, apparently

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Into The Future is a good expansion but (like with University Life) the unavoidable "guy shows up at front door to introduce you to the new gameplay" thing gets super repetitive and kind of annoying