Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mystes posted:

I guess technically but actually cheating because of an angry comment in red sharpie seems pretty dumb
Cards on the table, I've been in a similar position: and it's arguable that she didn't really give consent. When someone says something like "Go get it elsewhere because you are not getting it from me" they probably don't really mean it. She either hopes he'll be too ashamed to go through with it, or that if he does he'll have to sneak around and live in shame.

We only have his side of the story, but it sounds like he wants both of them to be happy while she wants him to be miserable. Frankly, if your partner can't talk to you about an issue without you having a screaming meltdown, you don't have the moral standing to demand honesty or forthrightness on that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

mystes posted:

I guess technically but actually cheating because of an angry comment in red sharpie on a letter (when we don't even really know what the letter said) seems pretty dumb

Realistically their relationship was hosed at that point anyway though

She didn't even know what the letter said so I guess it's irrelevant. The post said she said she didn't actually read it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

if your wife red pens you on a heartfelt letter about relationship crisises im kinda with dude here.
I mean the letter was clearly saying something along the lines of "I don't want a relationship about sex" which is fair but I'm not sure that's a "heartfelt letter about relationship crises"

Shanghaied posted:

Neither did the wife lol, since she scrawled on it without reading it.

People should really read things lol.
It said she read the letter but then that she reread the letter and said she hadn't really read it the first time, so I'm not sure if she literally hadn't read it the first time or misunderstood the tone or whatever

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 30, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Again, you're talking about honest communication with someone who throws a tantrum whenever the subject comes up.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shanghaied posted:

People should really read things lol.
Counterpoint: Time spent reading means less time spent posting.

:justpost:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ah yes a handwritten letter. very typical. i may be taking this at face value but handwritten anything isnt really typical nowadays

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Hopes Fall posted:

Certain STDs, especially if they fly under the radar and are untreated for a while, can cause infertility.

ETA: That was my first thought reading it. So I was thinking ESH with the OP leaning into slut shaming.

"She chose to have sex, now she can't have babies, and won't even gently caress me. Whore."

what, absolutely nothing in the post implies any of that. sometimes the jumps in logic itt really confuse me

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Hopes Fall posted:

Certain STDs, especially if they fly under the radar and are untreated for a while, can cause infertility.

ETA: That was my first thought reading it. So I was thinking ESH with the OP leaning into slut shaming.

"She chose to have sex, now she can't have babies, and won't even gently caress me. Whore."

this is a really normal conclusion to jump to, for sure

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

even if it was indeed caused by an STD, how in the gently caress do you interpret the OP politely alluding to it as slut shaming

mystes
May 31, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Again, you're talking about honest communication with someone who throws a tantrum whenever the subject comes up.
I mean I imagine that's partly because he's been spending two years trying to get her to have sex with him after she made it clear that she wasn't going to.

At a certain point he has to either accept that or divorce her and they clearly should have already divorced a long time ago.

No matter how gently he worded it, the letter had to have been saying something like "I can't be in a relationship with you if you won't have sex with me" because that's literally the whole issue

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hopes Fall posted:

This is insane

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Shanghaied posted:

While all of that might be true, we also allow 20-year-olds to vote, drive, smoke, drink, sign contracts, and consent to medical procedures. And I'm not sure I would want to see the legal age on all of those things raised. I'm around 20-year-olds all day every day (I'm a teacher), I know first hand that you're not a full adult at 20 ("you had three weeks for the assignment, plan better jfc"). But I don't think it's feasible or desirable to protect them paternalistically until they're 25 or whatever.

We should call out problematic age gap relationships when we see them, but like I don't know, sometimes if they say they're happy, you just gotta take their words for it.

It's anecdotal, but I've also noticed a huge difference in people in their early 20s depending on their life.

I teach trades and I get a lot of folks who don't gel with academia, farm kids and the like and the responsibilities of their daily lives makes them much more mentally mature than some of the ones I've seen who have studied while living at home.

A mid 20s woman with a child, working in a manual job as a supervisor, is absolutely a grown adult capable of managing their life.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
One of my favorite parts of this thread is seeing people's weird hang ups via the way they respond to innocuous parts of stories.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

One of my favorite parts of this thread is seeing people's weird hang ups via the way they respond to innocuous parts of stories.

That’s why I post content. It’s the mirror I hold up to goons.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

I mean I imagine that's partly because he's been spending two years trying to get her to have sex with him after she made it clear that she wasn't going to.

At a certain point he has to either accept that or divorce her and they clearly should have already divorced a long time ago.

No matter how gently he worded it, the letter had to have been saying something like "I can't be in a relationship with you if you won't have sex with me" because that's literally the whole issue

Or he wanted to be able to express his feelings to her about the situation without it being called emotional manipulation?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITAH for sleeping with my sisters crush after she destroyed my most prized possession?

quote:

So as a little backstory my sister (18f) got really upset with me (19f) the other day for eating leftovers from her favorite restaurant that I promised to give to her.

For some reason she decided this would be grounds to destroy my (1979 fender strat) guitar that our grandfather had given me a few years before his death.

I was very obviously upset about this considering it was my last memory of my papa and it was the first thing me and him bonded over.

So as my revenge I decided that I would befriend her crush (19m) and get close enough to sleep with him.

Now she is extremely pissed and says that that was super uncalled for and extremely unfair.

So AITAH for sleeping with my sisters crush after she destroyed my most prized possession?

And before anyone gets mad, me and her crush have actually started going out a bit, and decided we like each other -so- I did not use him for revenge.

Yes….

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hughlander posted:

AITAH for sleeping with my sisters crush after she destroyed my most prized possession?

Yes….
OP and boyfriend should absolutely gently caress in the sister's bed. Should time it so she catches them, too.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

carrionman posted:

It's anecdotal, but I've also noticed a huge difference in people in their early 20s depending on their life.

I teach trades and I get a lot of folks who don't gel with academia, farm kids and the like and the responsibilities of their daily lives makes them much more mentally mature than some of the ones I've seen who have studied while living at home.

A mid 20s woman with a child, working in a manual job as a supervisor, is absolutely a grown adult capable of managing their life.

Oh for sure. The difference between someone who has only studied and someone who has worked a couple of years can be very noticeable, even when both are under 25 and only differ a couple of years in age.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Yes….
At this rate of escalation the sister is going to wipe an entire city off the map in response

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Hughlander posted:

Yes….

lmao don't vintage stratocasters cost thousands of dollars? What a insane response to someone eating their own leftovers lol.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Considering the way they escalate I'm assuming the update will include arson.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If we see a mushroom cloud in the distance, we'll know OP's sister got her revenge.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hughlander posted:

(1979 fender strat)

Took a few seconds to look up how much that was worth and decided the sister absolutely deserved that. Even barring the sentimental value that's a few grand she destroyed.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Shanghaied posted:

lmao don't vintage stratocasters cost thousands of dollars? What a insane response to someone eating their own leftovers lol.

A quick Google search indicates they generally hover around $2k-$2.5k, more for rarer finishes

And that's before the sentimental value of the guitar being her reminder of her grandpa

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Also a "crush" doesn't really mean poo poo. Ask them out or don't, but you can't call dibs on a person when said person is not even aware of your feelings.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shanghaied posted:

Also a "crush" doesn't really mean poo poo. Ask them out or don't, but you can't call dibs on a person when said person is not even aware of your feelings.
I think trying to get someone to go out with you just to get revenge on another person is still a bit gross

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
noted rational beings

18-19 year olds.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mystes posted:

I think trying to get someone to go out with you just to get revenge on another person is still a bit gross

Dunno that this makes it better, but seems the guy was down regardless.

OP posted:

I also forgot to include this originally so I’m editing it to explain the fact that I did tell him my plan beforehand to make sure he wouldn’t be upset about it

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

noted rational beings

18-19 year olds.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Dunno that this makes it better, but seems the guy was down regardless.
wait so she was like "hey ___, will you go out with me to help me get revenge on my sister?"

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
The guy just has so much respect for vintage guitars.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

mystes posted:

NTA for not being happy with a relationship without sex if OP wants a relationship with sex but YTA for having an affair. Do couples therapy or sex therapy or just divorce but don't stay in the relationship and have an affair and rub it in your wife's face.

I don't count it as an affair if you have written permission from your spouse. Which he did. Written on the letter where he begged her to "do couples therapy or sex therapy", so ah 2/3 of those options there were already ruled out.

If you do something your spouse literally wrote a permission slip for, I think you're NTA. Dude needs to divorce for his own sake, but I won't hold it against him that he did exactly what his wife requested.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I don't count it as an affair if you have written permission from your spouse. Which he did. Written on the letter where he begged her to "do couples therapy or sex therapy", so ah 2/3 of those options there were already ruled out.

If you do something your spouse literally wrote a permission slip for, I think you're NTA. Dude needs to divorce for his own sake, but I won't hold it against him that he did exactly what his wife requested.

I love that he had it photocopied and ready to throw in her face like a notary.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's not really a permission slip. That's venting in written form. That's something you would need to have a conversation about.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's not really a permission slip. That's venting in written form. That's something you would need to have a conversation about.

which she refused to do, repeatedly. obviously he should just have divorced her then and there instead of continiuing this horrible charade, but you cant really fault the guy for giving up and just doing what she asked

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm NTA for dude in this story. I think I'd be on his side even without the note. At a certain point I think you lose the right to get mad about someone having sex if you do not want to have sex with them. "Stay sexually faithful to me, I will never have sex with you again" is an unfair demand. The answer, of course, is divorce.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
It was a '79, nothing of value was lost. Height of the dog years for Fender. Did her a favour getting rid of that boat anchor.

(It's pretty hard to break a guitar beyond fixing without running it over with a large truck. Tell her to get it repaired and then you'll unfuck her crush)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Unfuck my crush, say I'll fix your guitar

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Even if it's a first act with rusty tuning pegs it's still the grampa guitar so you gotta respect it as a memory.

Imagine getting propositioned "My sister likes you but she broke my guitar. Wanna gently caress to make her feel bad?" and you're a 19 year old boy. I suspect you hear exactly two words in the proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Guy just minding his own business at work all of a sudden his balls start to hurt and he realizes he's just got unfucked, someone must have repaired the guitar