Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

BlazetheInferno posted:

For the record, going to Moonrise first isn't critical, it's just a place to not leave for last, because contrary to what Attempted Gamer Savvy can lead you to believe, it is NOT the Point Of No Return, and in fact is a mild quest hub.

And yeah, I had someone wearing the "electrify water" shoes at some point in my current run, too - I also had them wearing the "cannot be electrocuted" ring, and thought I was so smart.

Until I realized "oh poo poo, no one else is immune to electrocution, oops"

you don't have to, but i would recommend going to moonrise immediately after reaching last light. that lets you grab the moonlantern from balthazar's lab, which lets you grab some very good items and gain a level before the kidnapping fight with marcus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zodium posted:

you don't have to, but i would recommend going to moonrise immediately after reaching last light. that lets you grab the moonlantern from balthazar's lab, which lets you grab some very good items and gain a level before the kidnapping fight with marcus.

Yeah I wished I'd done this earlier in my first run, especially since you can release the fairy inside the lantern and not have to worry about the shadow curse for the rest of the game

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Drink an Elixir of Vigilance and use that banishment scroll you’ve been hoarding. You aren’t going to use it anywhere else because you’ve got mega elixir syndrome :argh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pro move is just to go to Moonrise before you even get to Last Light and rob all the vendors blind, setting you up for a nice easy showdown at the inn.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah I wished I'd done this earlier in my first run, especially since you can release the fairy inside the lantern and not have to worry about the shadow curse for the rest of the game

only the lantern you get from isobel can do that, so you shouldn't put off the marcus fight too long. what I do is side with the harpers, go to last light and get the checkpoint + tower key from mattis, go to moonrise via the tollbridge using enhance leap/feather fall/movespeed items and get balthazar's lantern, use that to talk the lesser thorms to death and clear the mason's guild, clear the easy side until I level up, then do the marcus fight.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Zodium posted:

only the lantern you get from isobel can do that,

no? you can do that 1 min into act 2 by killing the Drider

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

no? you can do that 1 min into act 5 by killing the Drider

that's the lantern you get from isobel, but I admittedly didn't think to do that. I just meant the balthazar lantern can't do it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zodium posted:

that's the lantern you get from isobel, but I admittedly didn't think to do that. I just meant the balthazar lantern can't do it.

Isobel has nothing to do with it? You literally just kill the Drider. You can summon him yourself from the Goblin caravan with the Lyre from Minthara or Nere. Participating in the ambush with the harpers is one way to get it, but you can also just summon him yourself and attack.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

BlazetheInferno posted:

Isobel has nothing to do with it? You literally just kill the Drider. You can summon him yourself from the Goblin caravan with the Lyre from Minthara or Nere. Participating in the ambush with the harpers is one way to get it, but you can also just summon him yourself and attack.

if you do the harper ambush, they get the lantern, and then you get it from isobel after the kidnap fight.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Zodium posted:

if you do the harper ambush, they get the lantern, and then you get it from isobel after the kidnap fight.

Interesting, when I did the ambush (twice!) I just picked it up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Zodium posted:

That never happened for me. I've always gotten in the ambush, and Isobel never had anything to do with it. Everyone was like, cool, yeah, you keep it.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

As I mentioned in my post I reloaded and then took the boots off. I also just did some Googling and I'm seeing posts that other people have encountered this.

As for pathing my party usually walks right through environmental hazards even if I use water to clear a path, or route around them entirely. It's annoying. Throughout the fire rescue I could hear them all making little pain sounds.

There is no reason to take your entire party in there, I gave one person a fire resist potion and left everyone else outside. Made it easy to raid the kitchen too!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Interesting, when I did the ambush (twice!) I just picked it up.

Nihonniboku posted:

That never happened for me. I've always gotten in the ambush, and Isobel never had anything to do with it. Everyone was like, cool, yeah, you keep it.

funky. wonder what I do differently.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Unseen Menace is good for the point in the game at which you can get it but in Act 3 a 2H weapon that gives an 85% chance to hit for 45+ damage is better than a 95% chance for 22.

Speaking of pikes is the polearm master feat finally bug free? I know it was broken as gently caress early on and I never checked back on it. But it seems pretty great if it actually works now. There were 2 bugs I was aware of:

1) Enemies wielding polearms somehow got to use the opportunity attack it grants rather than you (lol). I think this was fixed

2) The bonus action did not benefit from any damage bonuses like your strength modifier or GWM so the damage was poo poo. I never saw a fix for this in patch notes. I guess it could possibly be intended behavior but seems weird.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I feel like I'm missing something with how attacks out of stealth work. I've been splitting Astarion off from the rest of my party and having him start fights by sniping enemies from stealth, then having the rest of my party standing by to start the actual fight. Sometimes it works fine and the enemies get surprised! Usually, it doesn't do anything and starts combat like normal, though with an enemy missing like 25-30 HP. Once or twice, he's successfully shot the enemy, which somehow resulted in my party getting ambushed! If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, please explain it to me because I'm dumb thanks. My party's absolutely not built around stealth, but it would be nice to get that free turn, or at least to stop enemies I can see from ambushing me.

I slept on how insanely OP getting a surprise round is for too long. It really really really helps in honor mode. Trivializes a lot of fights that would normally be scary because by the time the enemy gets to act, they're on their last legs if not outright dead. I try to open every encounter with surprise if at all possible, even/especially boss fights. Not necessary on a normal playthrough and in fact this will gently caress up your experience since it bypasses a lot of cutscenes. But for HM, surprise all day. I've also seen the light of the Alert feat on most of my party for the same reason. The enemy having 2 turns to have their way with you is disastrous. Not wiping is the best ability, even if my stupid minmax brain is shouting BUT YOU COULD HAVE +1 DEX MODIFIER!!!

I agree with you that sometimes it seems not to work for no apparent reason :iiam:

Nihonniboku posted:

I agree with everyone else, doing the ambush always gives me the lantern directly, I don't have to go back to the Inn to get it. But I always go to the Inn first so maybe that's the difference?

Dick Trauma posted:

The game has inexplicably switched to turn based mode

When this happens, it's the game being nice and warning you that something's about to gently caress your poo poo up. Move everyone away from wherever you just went that trigged turn based. Whatever it is will explode and hopefully you've moved safely out of range. I don't know why sometimes they give you this extra turn to escape and sometimes you just blow up.

And yeah split the party and only send one character into the inn. Preferably someone with high con and str.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I've definitely had to go ask Isobel for the lantern after siding with the harpers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Martian posted:

There is no reason to take your entire party in there, I gave one person a fire resist potion and left everyone else outside. Made it easy to raid the kitchen too!

As I'd mentioned in my post after the initial full party electric boogaloo I had the gith drink a fire resistance potion and sent her in alone to try and rescue that dude. During the whole sequence I didn't do any looting though because I wasn't sure if time was a factor.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The harpers will pick up the lantern if one of them is close to the dead drider at the end of the fight. If they do then you have to get it from Isobel.

If not, you'll be able to grab it.

It's never mentioned or explained I just sort of guess this based on when I have and haven't been able to grab it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Don't have to wait until Isobel if you kill the Harpers first! Or let them all die before getting in the final blow. That's between you and God.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

on my first playthrough all the harpers died and i wandered around the shadowlands doing everything but finding the inn

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It cracks me up that the Harpers are presented as this badass secret society of ninja warriors and then any encounter involving them goes Miss, Miss, 4 damage ranged attack, Critical Miss, *die*. That's just RPGs for you, if the existing forces could handle the bad guys they wouldn't need the Hero Of Legend to roll in and save the day. It would be weird if rando NPCs carried you rather than vice versa. But it's still funny.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

It cracks me up that the Harpers are presented as this badass secret society of ninja warriors and then any encounter involving them goes Miss, Miss, 4 damage ranged attack, Critical Miss, *die*. That's just RPGs for you, if the existing forces could handle the bad guys they wouldn't need the Hero Of Legend to roll in and save the day. It would be weird if rando NPCs carried you rather than vice versa. But it's still funny.

feel like this is a bg theme. the dead three are presented as a world ending threat, but are actually dumb losers. raphael is presented as a powerful demon genius who's ten steps ahead, but some shopkeeper keeps easily breaking into his house. the slayer is actually not very strong, etc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Helsik is a highly underrated Baldur's Gate Baddie.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
That doesn't rhyme at all

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Docjowles posted:

they used to rock with level 30 heavies, then story happened and level 8 is the max you'll get now

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Jaheira and Minsc have forgotten they're legendary heroes who should be like level 20 after being converted to 5E. Whoever converted their sheets did a terrible job.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Docjowles posted:

I too enjoy Halfling characters, OP.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Zodium posted:

feel like this is a bg theme. the dead three are presented as a world ending threat, but are actually dumb losers. raphael is presented as a powerful demon genius who's ten steps ahead, but some shopkeeper keeps easily breaking into his house. the slayer is actually not very strong, etc.

This is why I don't really have any heartache about letting him have the crown. You're gonna take down Asmodeus? Yeah okay buddy.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SlothBear posted:

This is why I don't really have any heartache about letting him have the crown. You're gonna take down Asmodeus? Yeah okay buddy.

But letting him have it means we didn't invade his home and murder him!

Janissary Hop posted:

Jaheira and Minsc have forgotten they're legendary heroes who should be like level 20 after being converted to 5E. Whoever converted their sheets did a terrible job.

Minsc especially. Curse whoever's responsible for the slavish devotion to maintaining Minsc as a Ranger when the class does not fit him in the slightest. It's a dex and wisdom based class, when Minsc is supposed to be Strength based with SIX wisdom! Make him the goddamn Barbarian he was destined to be! Hell, in Baldur's Gate 1, they made him a ranger with a unique Berserk ability because they didn't have Berserkers in the game!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Minsc is a Ranger.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

wizard2 posted:

Minsc is a Ranger.

He's a Bard for me. :D

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Medullah posted:

He's a Bard for me. :D

nice

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Still fucks me off that Volo is officially not a bard. He chats a load of poo poo and wears a stupid hat, of course he's a bard

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Still fucks me off that Volo is officially not a bard. He chats a load of poo poo and wears a stupid hat, of course he's a bard

Tav even says "looks like they've caught themselves a bard" when you find him in the goblin camp!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Volo owns. He’s got no skills at all but somehow he ends up being very helpful every time you encounter him. I couldn’t believe how good his finale buff was.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I made the speech checks in the House of Healing and what in the gently caress. The look on Zehra's face (and that she's shaking in fear) basically says everything there is to say.
poor Sister Lidwin, she tried her best, I think :smith: and relatedly, poor Arabella :smithicide:

Ha haaaa yeESSS I was waiting to see how that situation would go down for you. It's such good, creepy horror. :yeshaha: A very Silent Hill moment.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, I'm running with a party extender (and have EVERYONE with me, including Minty, Halsin, Jaheira, two Shovels, Us, and Scratch). I'm also running with a mod that lets me set my party members to various flavors of AI control. The only characters I'm retaining control of are my main Durge character, and Us.

Just fought (ACT 2 SPOILERS) Ketheric in the Mind Flayer Colony. Didn't skip phase 1. Turns out, the AI doesn't understand his "invulnerable" buff, and Karlach ran up to try to smack him, only to get smite-splattered for her trouble. The Mind Flayer kept trying to Dominate Jaheira, and just kept failing. And my god, does Halsin love his Dire Wolf form. Aylin ended up finishing off Phase 1. Fitting. As for Phase 2... turns out, the AI also doesn't seem to understand the healing negation of Bone Chilled and similar effects. Multiple turns and resources were wasted trying to heal people next to Myrkul. Oh well.

As some point, I can only assume Scratch ran off to try to Help Shadowheart get up... only to eat an Opportunity attack from Myrkul and die instantly (it's Summon!Scratch, so he'll be fine). My character's turn was next. Myrkul had 4 health left.

You hurt my dog.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is there an appreciable difference between choosing The Emperor and Orpheus? I've been doing the opposite choices i did the first time through this playthrough as a dark urge but i honestly don't see myself sticking with the emperor since i just don't like him as a character. Plus i'm kind of curious if Orpheus says something about me being half Illithid this time or not :v:

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Took me like a week to find time but I killed Nere on the second attempt. This time I murdered all the Duergar beforehand, which was a lot less difficult than I expected. That got me to level 6. Nere alone simply got hold personed and then stabbed a lot by Astarion so it was laughably easy.

He still pushed that gnome lady into the lava first though :(

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The Shame Boy posted:

Is there an appreciable difference between choosing The Emperor and Orpheus? I've been doing the opposite choices i did the first time through this playthrough as a dark urge but i honestly don't see myself sticking with the emperor since i just don't like him as a character. Plus i'm kind of curious if Orpheus says something about me being half Illithid this time or not :v:

I mean yeah, if you care about Laezel at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Someone needs to turn this game's "horny" dial down because the gith hated my PC up until 5 minutes ago but is now making a pass at them. I don't think games will ever be able to have this sort of thing without it seeming abrupt and/or creepy.