Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

New Railgun is pretty entertaining. Probably top tier against Hulks now since you can blap them on safe mode, meaning you can take your time and get the shot. And exploding brood commanders/hive guards/devastators with your space musket never gets old.

It's also very convenient for the team as a whole that while it struggles to kill massive targets, the unsafe railgun is actually pretty good at taking the last 10% off of a flaming cannon turret or a bleeding bile titan.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SpartanIvy posted:

Stalkers are loving insane now. Did they up the number alive at a time too? I swear we had 6 on us at once at one point and I don't recall seeing more than 2 at once in the past. Me and Another guy were able to close the nest but it was by far the hardest part of the mission.

They can also facetank an impact nade and a few shotgun blasts, which feels new?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

They can also facetank an impact nade and a few shotgun blasts, which feels new?

Maybe they tonguetanked it...?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

New Railgun is pretty entertaining. Probably top tier against Hulks now since you can blap them on safe mode, meaning you can take your time and get the shot. And exploding brood commanders/hive guards/devastators with your space musket never gets old.

It's also very convenient for the team as a whole that while it struggles to kill massive targets, the unsafe railgun is actually pretty good at taking the last 10% off of a flaming cannon turret or a bleeding bile titan.
I've only tried it briefly, but I did notice you no longer need to supercharge it to the top to one tap spewers to the head (the armoured green ones, haven't run into the orange ones with it yet), which was very nice when I dropped into a spewer map. I didn't think to try it in safe mode unfortunately, but if you put in a little bit of overcharge it'll insta-pop their head, which is similar to how it was before.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's in a much better place than before. Railgun plus your choice of backpack is pretty good vs bots, especially if you take a primary that covers the railgun's weakness like the Breaker or Dominator

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Bottom Liner posted:

Depends on which shotgun. The automatics don't flinch them so they've always been able to run up and smack you through them.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Rhymenoserous posted:

Man I knew it shouldn’t have looked but boy howdy is Reddit having a meltdown over the Queso nerf, like people straight up posting “how do they expect us to do 9’s now?”.
Reddit also really need to understand: They Don't.
The design intention is not that 9s be consistently clearable by an average team of lvl50s. It should take an exceptional squad and a healthy dose of luck.

There's a good argument that runs against player expectations, most games once you've got all the stuff the content is beatable by most anyone, and Helldivers 2 has been "easy" enough that players could beat it. Also the early game of acquiring new gear and then using that to beat ever higher numbers sets you up to think that way. But if the game was balanced how Arrowhead wanted then consistent 9s would practically be a spectator sport, where the skill and teamwork required would be amazing to behold.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Played with the Diligence Counter Sniper earlier this evening.

They thing was putting in work. You can actually move the barrel around now and aim at a decent speed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

boz posted:

Played with the Diligence Counter Sniper earlier this evening.

They thing was putting in work. You can actually move the barrel around now and aim at a decent speed.

Same, it was a great choice for bots with Laser Canon for support.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Someone's gone through and updated the weapon pages on the good (non fandom) wiki with datamined weapon stats that have some interesting stuff in them: https://helldivers.wiki.gg/wiki/Weapons Mostly relating to the AP and damage splits on AOE weapons, and the exact damage values on support weapons.

Turns out the grenade pistol has 350 impact damage and 250 explosion damage, which explains why it feels half as strong as the impact's 400 damage.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So the arc thrower seems pretty good - how exactly does it do damage? I swear I've killed chargers and bike titans with it but without blowing the armour off. Does it do like direct damage independent of armour or something?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Pretty sure it just has a high enough armor pen that it deals damage through armor. Armor plates are only sometimes able to get removed from damage, and it takes quite a bit to do so when possible.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I did want to note for all the multitudes of complaints about nerfs and bugs this week has been easily the most stable the game has been for me and I’ve been playing since launch. There’s definitely plenty of bugs left but almost all the game crashes have seemingly been resolved (ps5 btw).

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 1, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's funny because tonight was the worst we've had in a while with disconnects and frame rate issues.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Deleting the shader cache cleared up the FPS issue for me post-patch.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Stalkers changing didn't mean much to me since I always brought the punisher to stun them, means I'm just less likely to bringa nythign else now that spotting them at long range is quite difficult now when you're busy, making the AC not so great anymore for them.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

they genuinely need to do an audio pass on bug units. Now that stalkers are invisibo they're cool as gently caress but goddamn there needs to be something more than light dust kick up depending on the planet to spot them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sindai posted:

Deleting the shader cache cleared up the FPS issue for me post-patch.

can you give a quick how to for that?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Wholesome moment: These random level 30 dudes called the pelican, they actually waited for me. I was cleaning up the last 2 nests and 2 poi during their evac call in time while they guarded the site. Throwing up thank yous along the way is just :shobon:

https://i.imgur.com/fk3RQyw.mp4

Today played a game where the 3 of us were at extraction and the fourth was trying to clear a bug nest on the opposite side of the map by themselves and we waited a few minutes before starting extract but weren't going to wait forever, he said to hold it but team asked him to head up, he died while trying to solo the nest and when he got called back in at extraction with the rest of the team he killed everyone else inside the pelican, lost 50 samples and he got kicked before the mission ended.

Had a gut feeling he would pull something like that, some people are weird and I'd rather do two missions with 80% completion then one mission with 100% completion in the same time frame, especially when it's just extra exp/req locations which don't matter.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

can you give a quick how to for that?

Step 1: Press Win+R
Step 2: enter %appdata% into the bar and hit run.
Step 3: Find the Arrowhead > Helldivers2 folder and look for the Shader Cache folder. Delete the file inside.
Step 4: Validate your files on steam

This is what I have been doing after every patch more or less. Validation is unnecessary technically, but I do it anyway.

Gabrielite fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 1, 2024

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Slyphic posted:

This is the singular fact I point directly at whenever someone starts prattling on about the integrity of the developers artistic vision for the game. Sometimes art is bad and you should criticize it accordingly.

Every bugs head is shaped this way? They all have an armor plate above the mouthparts where their "head" is. Bile Titans and Bile Spewers are the same.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Slyphic posted:

This is the singular fact I point directly at whenever someone starts prattling on about the integrity of the developers artistic vision for the game. Sometimes art is bad and you should criticize it accordingly.

it's real life logic. you put the thickest armour protecting the actual critical spots. but if your weapon can beat that armour, it's an easy kill

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

MissMarple posted:

Reddit also really need to understand: They Don't.
The design intention is not that 9s be consistently clearable by an average team of lvl50s. It should take an exceptional squad and a healthy dose of luck.

There's a good argument that runs against player expectations, most games once you've got all the stuff the content is beatable by most anyone, and Helldivers 2 has been "easy" enough that players could beat it. Also the early game of acquiring new gear and then using that to beat ever higher numbers sets you up to think that way. But if the game was balanced how Arrowhead wanted then consistent 9s would practically be a spectator sport, where the skill and teamwork required would be amazing to behold.

They would need to make all guns and stratagems so exceptionally useless for this to be the case. The game is just fundamentally not that hard and a lot of these statements make me think that there are some people at AH who are just like, really bad at games or something if they think they are anywhere near this realm of difficulty. Tuning weapons down until the current 9 is only cleared by 1% of players or whatever sure would be a way to make your game is wildly unfun.

Slyphic posted:

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 1, 2024

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mazerunner posted:

it's real life logic. you put the thickest armour protecting the actual critical spots. but if your weapon can beat that armour, it's an easy kill

I'm glad someone else made this same point that I've been intending to make while reading the last three pages. And because I'm already so invested, I'm gonna reiterate it:

- Anti-armour weapons are made to shoot through armour.
- Armour is typically placed in spots where it protects the most vital bits.
- Ergo, when you have an anti-armour weapon, you should shoot through the armour that is covering the aforementioned most vital bits. In this case, the Charger's big ole noggin.

It makes perfect sense when you actually think about it for a few seconds instead of just going with your lizardbrain gamer instinct of "hit weakspot on giant enemy crab for massive damage". Weakspots are for weapons that need them. Anti-armour weapons, by their very nature, don't need them.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 1, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I want more armor-stripping weapons personally that can't kill by themselves quickly but soften up the target for small arms fire.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

More multi stage enemies should be implemented.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I want more armor-stripping weapons personally that can't kill by themselves quickly but soften up the target for small arms fire.

Honestly this should have been the railguns niche.

It's honestly kinda lame you can kill a factory strider by shooting it in the eye - would be way cooler if you could still destroy the head like that, but instead of dying it was immobilized and still producing units and you had to go blow up the body.

It's dumb that people dumping strats on it is actually counter productive because you can kill it faster by aggressively using an AC or HMG.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 1, 2024

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The oirginal had boss enemies apparently, so you might get multi stage enemies.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Infidelicious posted:

Honestly this should have been the railguns niche.

Funny you say that, remember how at launch the railgun was meta because EATs and RR were too slow/unavailable and didn't one shot the multitude of chargers and titans you had to deal with?

They lowered the spawn rate, nerfed the railgun and let the AT one shot, but if they'd still lowered the spawn rate and made the EAT/RR crack armour instead, you've basically got the system you're describing but in reverse. The railgun firing a slug is the precision killer that pens but the RR and EAT aren't gonna kill but you can small arms the charger or titan after.

I don't think it would actually work all that well in practise, sadly. Reducing the railgun to an armour cracker is still relegating it to the dustbin when the queso/EAT/RR one shot, and the railgun would still be meta if it was the only weapon that reliably killed a charger.

If they all one shot, no armour stripping. If none of them one shot... we're back to people complaining about not being able to kill all the chargers and bile titans that spawn because they run out of stratagems/nothing kills them/it's too hard.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
the thing is the railgun fires faster than all 3 AT strats (except maybe a buddy reloaded RR), doesn't require a backpack, can handle medium threats as well, has more ammo, and missed shots dont hurt as much.

I think that niche could still work with something like the railgun since its a "jack of all trades" weapon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

From playing Horizon games, this could be very cool, but it'd have to be very obvious to the average player what's going on and it would have to be effective enough to get people to change behaviour.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Torchlighter posted:

Funny you say that, remember how at launch the railgun was meta because EATs and RR were too slow/unavailable and didn't one shot the multitude of chargers and titans you had to deal with?

I do agree that if EATs and RR's one shot Chargers on release the leg stripping tactic would have never gained traction in the first place.

So it's kind of a moot point because this niche is emergent not planned... I do think the idea of having the more unwieldy, slower firing / reloading weapons be the enabler just feels wrong, though.

In general i would like more enemies with interactions or mechanics more complex than shooting them in the face or running away while shooting them in the face.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I took the plasma punisher out again last night and have upgraded it's status from "bad" to "Pretty Good". Definitely great against groups of enemies which are most of the enemies but it really sucks when something gets up in your face and your only option is to reposition or use your secondary. I also found that I was somehow constantly out of ammo every time I pulled the gun out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think there would be room for a weapon that was like a faster firing Quasar that didn't oneshot but did aggressively strip armor, especially if it had small AoE.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Ravenfood posted:

I think there would be room for a weapon that was like a faster firing Quasar that didn't oneshot but did aggressively strip armor, especially if it had small AoE.

laser autocannon, :hellyeah:

Also, i find it a little disingenuous to describe RR/EAT/Queso as being one shots on chargers, since if you don't have an angle on the head, you can't do poo poo, also, they y'know, move, so I've definitely shot uselessly into their shoulders as they have charged at me. It's not a Railcannon delete button, is what i am saying

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

After putting in time with the Scythe it's decent to good vs. bots now - if you have a shield backpack to prevent flinches from making it feel awful.

Been running Scythe / Grenade Pistol / Stuns + HMG / Shield (or AC Sentry if someone has a shield to give out) / Eagle 110's / Orbital Precision Strike and it's an enjoyable off meta all rounder.

Everything has a pretty specific use and is good at it, and it's real fun to get in a rhythm where you're like:

zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap starts beeping -> scout strider shows up -> grenade pistol to the hip, reload -> zaaaaaaaaaaaaap -> someone calls out a hulk -> Stun -> HMG brapapapapap BOOM hulk dead -> zaaaaaap ->spot a tank -> 110's out -> zaaaaaappppp

- Scythe is solid vs. everything below hulks except berserkers and scout striders if you can get headshots, my only real complaint is the red dot is way too large in ADS like the Railgun.

- GLP is basically for fabs and scout striders - hitting the hip or top lip of the front shield kills them good.

- Stuns let you line up OPS more easily on groups, and Stun into HMG kills Hulks extremely quickly.

- HMG is great vs. berserker packs and Hulks, and is probably more effective than EATs or the RR vs. gunships (unless you're extremely good or very close) now that they move a lot more randomly - will kill tanks and turrets / AA, Mortars pretty quickly if you're within range to control the recoil while mag dumping.

- Shield Backpack lets you push corners vs. Heavy Devs long enough to burn their heads, and flinch immunity + chip damage reduction just lets you play a lot more aggressively.

- 110's are a great mix of disposable and low effort - toss them at every tank and turret and fab you see and toss another if it misses, basically.

- OPS mainly because it takes out Detector Towers and Research Labs, it's also just solid and doesn't stop the 110's from cooling down or vise versa like 500kg would.

The same overall build replacing the HMG with the Laser Cannon and Scythe with the Diligence CS is also enjoyable - requires you to juggle the Lasercannon and DCS more and is better vs. turret weak points and gunships but struggles a bit with berserkers.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 1, 2024

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Also, i find it a little disingenuous to describe RR/EAT/Queso as being one shots on chargers, since if you don't have an angle on the head, you can't do poo poo, also, they y'know, move, so I've definitely shot uselessly into their shoulders as they have charged at me. It's not a Railcannon delete button, is what i am saying

If it's facing you, it's easy to just bait the charge and then start firing the Quasar and hit it once it turns around. If it's aimed at someone else, stun grenades work great

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Even if you can't line up a headshot it can strip leg armor and chargers are just as vulnerable to leg damage as ever, even a side armor break is "good enough" for finishing off quickly.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Lobok posted:

From playing Horizon games, this could be very cool, but it'd have to be very obvious to the average player what's going on and it would have to be effective enough to get people to change behaviour.

It'd also have to be way more reliable. Too many times have I had a full mag of dominator rounds just bounce off a bright orange guts "shredded" titan/charger body area.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ravenfood posted:

Arc weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Mazerunner posted:

It's illogical. Yes you protect the important bits the most. But if you can penetrate the thickest armored point, then you can also penetrate every other point and you should penetrate those instead.

I'm starting to understand why every army had to make posters like this...