Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

NikkolasKing posted:

This is as much comics-related as it is TV show related but as someone who is getting into the X-Men comics more seriously at least in part because of 97, I can't help but comment on it.

It be a long story to discuss the comics and what's happening there but in them, Rogue is leading a new team of X-Men with Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Gambit, and I think a few others. But the important and relevant part is how in this show, Rogue has been the one to possibly take the X-Men down a new, darker path, with Wolverine cheering her on. At the exact Same time in the comics, Rogue and Wolverine are staing the course of Xavier's idealism. That is the explicit purpose of their team.

Just felt like an interesting contrast since its all going down at the same time.

This all reminds me of one of my favorite X-Men-based What If stories. It was a two-parter of What If Cable Had Destroyed the X-Men? and What If Magneto Took Over the USA?

The plot was that Xavier and Cable had this big argument that led to Cable committing an act of terrorism that killed Xavier, Cyclops, and Jean. In the aftermath, the X-Men were split on how to move forward. Wolverine and his side wanted to go track down and kill Cable and X-Force. Storm and her side wanted to hunker down on doing regular X-Men stuff, because someone needed to. So with their leaders gone and half of the team split off on a revenge mission, various villains saw the blood in the water and acted on it. The remaining X-Men got overwhelmed and put on the run, Wolverine's team went from killing Cable to just going after the likes of Sinister and whoever (while Logan got so lost to bloodlust that Psylocke decided to awkwardly dip out), and the mutant threats got so out of hand that you got stuff like Avengers fighting Apocalypse and the government going full steam ahead on Sentinels.

Magneto took over Washington and used it as his new HQ, casually destroying invading Sentinels on a daily basis until one was sent with a hidden nuke inside. By this point it went full on Days of Future Past with Sentinels having wiped out all the heroes and practically every major X-Man. Wolverine got himself together, realized that, wait, if Sebastian Shaw was involved in the Sentinel program, then he probably has tech that keeps them from seeing he's a mutant.

Then he used that tech to spring some random mutants from a concentration camp and created the most thrown-together X-Men roster in the multiverse: Wolverine, Iceman, Siryn, La Bandera (an obscure side character from Wolverine's solo comic), Sunder (a Morlock), and Amphibius (one of those Savage Land mutates).

What I'm trying to say is that I want Amphibius to get one of those intro logo animations on X-Men 97.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Marsupial Ape posted:

I was going to bring up the Phalanx Covenant plotline, but then I saw that I was 13 when it came out and now I feel very tired.

I think I have that taped on a VHS in the closet.
Fox Saturday morning run hyped that so much when it first aired

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

GateOfD posted:

I think I have that taped on a VHS in the closet.
Fox Saturday morning run hyped that so much when it first aired

I just realized I never saw season 5, or at least remember it. I just remember the comic. Oh, well, time to stream cartoons at work…

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's all this talk in this thread about a continuation of the Spider-Man cartoon, but they DID continue it with Spider-Man Unlimited... and...

Actually, yeah, anything else would be better.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
X-Men Evolution was cool. Semi-Goth Rogue was a choice.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gavok posted:

This all reminds me of one of my favorite X-Men-based What If stories. It was a two-parter of What If Cable Had Destroyed the X-Men? and What If Magneto Took Over the USA?

The plot was that Xavier and Cable had this big argument that led to Cable committing an act of terrorism that killed Xavier, Cyclops, and Jean. In the aftermath, the X-Men were split on how to move forward. Wolverine and his side wanted to go track down and kill Cable and X-Force. Storm and her side wanted to hunker down on doing regular X-Men stuff, because someone needed to. So with their leaders gone and half of the team split off on a revenge mission, various villains saw the blood in the water and acted on it. The remaining X-Men got overwhelmed and put on the run, Wolverine's team went from killing Cable to just going after the likes of Sinister and whoever (while Logan got so lost to bloodlust that Psylocke decided to awkwardly dip out), and the mutant threats got so out of hand that you got stuff like Avengers fighting Apocalypse and the government going full steam ahead on Sentinels.

Magneto took over Washington and used it as his new HQ, casually destroying invading Sentinels on a daily basis until one was sent with a hidden nuke inside. By this point it went full on Days of Future Past with Sentinels having wiped out all the heroes and practically every major X-Man. Wolverine got himself together, realized that, wait, if Sebastian Shaw was involved in the Sentinel program, then he probably has tech that keeps them from seeing he's a mutant.

Then he used that tech to spring some random mutants from a concentration camp and created the most thrown-together X-Men roster in the multiverse: Wolverine, Iceman, Siryn, La Bandera (an obscure side character from Wolverine's solo comic), Sunder (a Morlock), and Amphibius (one of those Savage Land mutates).

What I'm trying to say is that I want Amphibius to get one of those intro logo animations on X-Men 97.

I'd be down for it. I'd like to see the Savage Land again in the show.

Marsupial Ape posted:

X-Men Evolution was cool. Semi-Goth Rogue was a choice.

She is probably the most popular character in the show and Grant Morrison (supposedly, I can't confirm this) wanted to revamp Rogue in the comics to be like Evo Rogue. But, well, as '97 shows, people are very attached to Southern Belle Rogue.

But Evolution was fantastic. That is another show I'd love to see a continuation of with a TV-14 rating.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, Evo Rogue was very much done as a way to make her more in line with the Anna Paquin version.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

All I can hear whenever Cyclops talks is Cyril Figgis.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
My sweet summer car

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEqJzNcOpyQ&t=3s

i know being a wolverine guy is lame but this music cue is ace and i hope they bring it back

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I just watched the Phalanx Covenant episodes. lol at Mr. Sinister’s bitch rear end.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Gavok posted:

There's all this talk in this thread about a continuation of the Spider-Man cartoon, but they DID continue it with Spider-Man Unlimited... and...

Actually, yeah, anything else would be better.

Was Unlimited truly a continuation? Obviously it just has MJ present in the pilot without resolving her disappearance, I think a bunch of stuff with Venom and Carnage doesn't work if you assume continuity too. There was that sting of the TAS theme but they pretty much wanted to get it all away from existing story and continuity asap.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Halfway through the episode, and Bastion just dropped back to back all-time lines, followed by a "Holy poo poo, he really is irredeemably evil." moment :suspense:.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Skios posted:

Halfway through the episode, and Bastion just dropped back to back all-time lines, followed by a "Holy poo poo, he really is irredeemably evil." moment :suspense:.

drat this one is a banger. Bastions sentinels are a clever commentary on todays stochastic terrorism

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
God that episode was rad. They are absolutely crushing it and I'll be sad when it ends.

Wolverine and Nightcrawler team-up fight was gorgeously directed and animated, then that final shot of them on the roof staring up at the Sentinels! :rock:

A veritable plethora of cameos, two that made me gasp out loud like a moron. Doctor Doom! Spider-Man! Omega Red! Juggernaut (although where the hell did he come from lol)!

Genuinely effective references to the Holocaust and Mengele, Sinister calling him a "Nazi pup"

Actual clever allegories to AI/automation/outsourcing replacing blue collar jobs with Bastion being the equivalent of a Trump type

It's all so good!

vvv ah poo poo, thanks. Clearly not at my best so early in the morning!

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 1, 2024

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Adrianics posted:

God that episode was rad. They are absolutely crushing it and I'll be sad when it ends.

Wolverine and Nightcrawler team-up fight was gorgeously directed and animated, then that final shot of them on the roof staring up at the Sentinels! :rock:

A veritable plethora of cameos, two that made me gasp out loud like a moron. Doctor Doom! Spider-Man! Omega Red! Juggernaut (although where the hell did he come from lol)!

Genuinely effective references to the Holocaust and Mengele, Sinister calling him a "Nazi pup"

Actual clever allegories to AI/automation/outsourcing replacing blue collar jobs with Bastion being the equivalent of a Trump type

It's all so good!

Juggernaut is Morph

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This WAS an amazing episode but I wanna highlight what I don't want to happen next.

We have a three-way war: Magneto vs. Xavier vs. Bastion. That part is fine. I just don't want all the X-Men to rush to Xavier like nothing has happened. A LOT has happened. I still want to see some ideological splits with Rogue for certain but maybe others like Scott joining Magneto. This not only is a lot more interesting the same old "X-Men vs. Magneto" we've seen, it has a lot more drama to it as we've never seen the good guys fight each other in this verse. What's more, the defectors are obviously gonna be off the team, at least for a while, which allows for new X-Men for the next season.

Adrianics posted:

It's all so good!

vvv ah poo poo, thanks. Clearly not at my best so early in the morning!

I wonder if the cameos will mean anything? Will Spiderman do something? Silver Samurai?

Speaking of Juggernaut, though, bring Cain back. They specifically had an ep in TAS where Charles helped him. I remember liking it a lot.
So yeah, maybe he could join a hypothetical new X-Men team. I don't see it happening cuz he's not even a mutant but whatever. He could still show up to help.

EDIT:

Magneto spoilers
So that EMP was awesome and certainly saved our heroes' lives...but it probably killed a bunch of innocent people based on what I've heard from how this went down in the comics. Assuming Spiderman and co. aren't just for show, they are not going to be very happy with this development.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 1, 2024

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Man, Roberto's mum is such a weapon. "Sure, I could trust my only son, but that might mean that my peers will think less of me, so I'll just trust these strangers with glowing eyes and weird lines all over them in stead."

Also, that line about nobody at Genosha really being surprised was heartbreaking. Definitely feels like an allusion to the Pulse Nightclub shooting.

Also, Spidey's web slingers getting knocked down in mid-air must suck for him.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

NikkolasKing posted:

So that EMP was awesome and certainly saved our heroes' lives...but it probably killed a bunch of innocent people based on what I've heard from how this went down in the comics. Assuming Spiderman and co. aren't just for show, they are not going to be very happy with this development.

Something that's worth noting is having random cameos is very much par the course for the old show. I wouldn't read too much into them (although I'm sure we'll get more actual crossover stuff like with Cap, too, but I don't think we're going to get Avengers VS X-Men or Secret Wars or anything like that anytime soon)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skios posted:

Man, Roberto's mum is such a weapon. "Sure, I could trust my only son, but that might mean that my peers will think less of me, so I'll just trust these strangers with glowing eyes and weird lines all over them in stead."

Also, that line about nobody at Genosha really being surprised was heartbreaking. Definitely feels like an allusion to the Pulse Nightclub shooting.

Also, Spidey's web slingers getting knocked down in mid-air must suck for him.

Pretty sure the web shooters are mechanical, not electronic

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Magneto was right :colbert:

Wasn't a super huge fan of how quickly all the human sentinel hybrids were defeated.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Skios posted:

Man, Roberto's mum is such a weapon.

I was utterly convinced that she was going to turn out to be a Sentinel. Like, she says "do what the men say" as her face goes grey and her eyes glow

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Wasn't a super huge fan of how quickly all the human sentinel hybrids were defeated.

I don't think that's going to be the end of them

Also, as others have said, some really fun cameos that just fill the world out a lot more Hello Doom! . Honestly, each new episode makes a more and more convincing case that the MCU should just be animated. This feels like the best-realised screen version of just about any comic franchise I've ever seen.

Watching it, you can't help but think of all the weird compromises that come with a live action comic book universe - from actors aging out of parts (or getting cancelled out of parts), to multi-film stories not quite coming together due to all sorts of movie business and real world problems and so much more.

I wasn't sure about the Marvel animation stuff because What If always looked so wooden to me, but the style and animation of 97 is just fantastic. Just throw the whole MCU out and make it animated.

I also love how Nightcrawler looks in HD. Those glowing eyes!

Here's a question though, from someone that doesn't remember the original cartoon too well. How did they deal with Wolverine's claws? As in, I'm guessing they wouldn't have wanted to ever show him stabbing or maiming someone. Were there any goofy sleight of hand compromises in the coreography? Did he just slice up robots?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Also everyone that was flying in an airplane is 100% dead, right? :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I mean, they established their weakness last week and welp there's a guy who is a walking version of it

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So is basically everyone on any kind of life support device.

Also, I wonder if this episode puts an end to the theory that dr. Cooper is Mystique in disguise.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Here's a question though, from someone that doesn't remember the original cartoon too well. How did they deal with Wolverine's claws? As in, I'm guessing they wouldn't have wanted to ever show him stabbing or maiming someone. Were there any goofy sleight of hand compromises in the coreography? Did he just slice up robots?

Yeah, he basically only ever successfully damages robots, weapons, maybe the odd vine or tentacle with his claws. He also visibly slashed or stabbed enemies like Omega Red and The Blob, but they're basically impervious to such physical attacks, so no damage was taken/shown.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://x.com/BeauDemayo/status/1785578593130869216

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, they established their weakness last week and welp there's a guy who is a walking version of it

And it's not like it was a simple, consequence free solution either.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 1, 2024

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume this is the monologue DeMayo wanted the original VA for Jean to give and why he cast her as Cooper

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm an old grizzled goon at this point so nothing makes me excited anymore, but I totally fuckin geeked out when Nightcrawler and Wolverine hosed up all those things.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I appreciated them giving Kurt a third sword just to make that dumb nein joke.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm an old grizzled goon at this point so nothing makes me excited anymore, but I totally fuckin geeked out when Nightcrawler and Wolverine hosed up all those things.

Definitely gave me 80s TMNT loving up the Foot Clan vibes, but with the dark undertone that the Prime Sentinels are converted humans

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Back when this series was announced, I had barely any interest in it. Thought it would be another colourless Marvel nostalgia money grab.

Never expected to be saying, "Holy poo poo!" a dozen times in a single episode.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Going to unspoiler it out of context.

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of Juggernaut, though, bring Cain back. They specifically had an ep in TAS where Charles helped him. I remember liking it a lot.
So yeah, maybe he could join a hypothetical new X-Men team. I don't see it happening cuz he's not even a mutant but whatever. He could still show up to help.

Juggernaut has been a member of the team in the comics. Back in the 2000s, there was a run of the comics by a guy named Chuck Austen that was considered to be one of the worst ever, but had an otherwise good Juggernaut redemption arc. He was taken in after an adventure and started bonding with a mutant fish kid named Sammy (who was one of the victims of Genosha on the show). He was able to talk out his differences with Xavier over time and became the school's gym teacher. Then he got thrown onto a failed Excalibur lineup before being abruptly written out in the World War Hulk event.

From there, the writers didn't know whether he was supposed to be good or bad. He ended up being put on the Thunderbolts during a fantastic run where the team was basically a Marvel Suicide Squad led by Luke Cage. It was revealed that Juggernaut was recruited as a favor to Xavier, who was hoping that this would steer him in the right direction. Unfortunately, he got written out a bit too quickly due to dumb editorial stuff and a tie-in to a lame Thor/Captain America event. Cain got depowered, Colossus became the new Juggernaut, and then another event killed off Xavier.

Eventually, Cain became Juggernaut again and his new mantra was, "Chuck was the only one who truly believed in me and now he's dead because of you. I'm going to avenge him by killing the X-Men." I've been out of the loop for a few years, but my understanding is that Juggernaut ended up conquering Cyttorak, no longer being a slave to his power, and was eventually allowed to live on Krakoa despite not being a mutant. In the post-Krakoa line-up, he's part of Cyclops' team.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Everything with the Scott family was incredible. The seatbelt PSA, the Cyclops and Cable fist bump in the back of a Porsche, the fuckin power posing... mwah, a delight.

It's unfair how good this show is. Pitch perfect. I need an episode every week forever. Very close to being the best episode of the series so far but certainly the most enjoyable. Just love how earnestly dumb it can be, mostly just to keep the pace going and get to the next fully sick line-read or moment.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Magneto was right.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Pinterest Mom posted:

I appreciated them giving Kurt a third sword just to make that dumb nein joke.

The swords dropping in front of Kurt when he got tossed into a wall was a nice touch too. This show is so good at pushing the right buttons.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Senerio posted:

Magneto was right.

I feel like this should just be the new thread title at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Quick moment, but the shot of the kids having scared WTF expressions at their parents turning into Sentinels was disturbing as hell.