Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Family rankings in usefulness:
Grandma; Does daycare 5 days a week while we work. Invaluable. True hero.
Other grandpa's girlfriend: Willing to help because she thinks grandpa should spend more time with his grandaughter.
Grandpa: Bragging about all the poor habits he's trying to teach, and laments she is not old enough to pick them up. Needs to learn boundries.
Grandma: Wants to help, but cannot be trusted. Mental illness.
Grandpa: Has no interest. I think held once.

Also, it's funny how my side of the family insist her hair color is mine and wife's side insists it's hers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

having long since learned to be very cautious with how deep my finger goes into the diaper to do a poop check... nevertheless yesterday my daughter poo poo so far up her back that even me putting like half a knuckle into her diaper got poo poo on my finger. very annoying. at least it wasnt a blowout lol.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Grandparent tier list:
Mother-in-law: able to take both kids for arbitrary amount of time with minimal coaching required. Is most available grandparent and aware of it; is being careful not to spoil her good fortune by being of service whenever my wife hints at it.
Mother: Very enthusiastic grandparent; burns out quickly. Has a tendency to demand long visits because she "feels like a stranger to her grandchildren" and be basically done babysitting after like a day and a half.
Father-in-law: really wants to be as much help as possible when available but this means he guesses wrong on stuff he could have asked about. Once put a diaper on a baby backward.
Father-in-law's wife: is doing ok as a grandparent considering she never had kids but I wouldn't really like trust her with any heavy-lifting parenting duties for that reason
Father: Doing about as well as a grandparent as he did as a dad, meaning "will try to do stuff if you ask him but can typically be found at the dining room table reading sports news on his ipad". He is *all over* dog-walking and grocery-shopping duties when they visit. You need him to do a non-parenting-oriented task, he is there.
Mother-in-law's husband: gets the "technically present sometimes" award; not trying very hard. He has his own kids and my wife isn't one of them; maybe he'd be more active with his own grandkids??? He's doing better than HootTheOwl's bottom-tier grandpa but I'd pick him last of all grandparents for solo duty.

Boomer men are not good with kids!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i will rank the grandparents i guess

my mom: lives relatively close (and we are trying to get her to move even closer), usually willing to help, attentive, loves her grandkids. however she turns 75 this year and is starting to slow down physically and mentally which is difficult to watch and obviously means chasing after my extremely energetic and rambunctious son a bit challenging

mother in law: if she lived in houston she would be top ranked but she does not. very willing to help, is on the younger side, very loving and caring. as a parent i think she is not very good because she's extremely permissive and has hosed up her two sons pretty badly as a result (they have no self discipline and the younger one is in his mid 20s but still lives at home and is basically your stereotypical NEET) but i think that quality is fine for a grandma lol. she isn't raising my kids! but she is great at watching them.

father in law: of the boomer generation so his childcare skills are a bit limited, but he is also willing to help most of the time and is usually pretty attentive. also he lives with us so he is the most available of anyone lol. one challenge with him though is that he keeps a very weird schedule, wakes up at 4:30 in the morning most days, so he can't watch the kids too late because he needs to go to sleep around 8 or 9. with my daughter this is fine because she's a baby and asleep by 7:30 but my son stays up much later than that lol.

my dad: hes dead and cannot help at all!!!!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my parents live across the country so we see them every few years

my wife's parents are old and live an hour away. we see them every few months.

out of the four of them, my mom is the one who is most helpful when she is around. I wish she lived closer (so does she)...

it's funny because my dad constantly expresses regret about how he wasn't the most involved/best father and he could take concrete actions to remedy that by moving out nearer to his grandkids (my brother is near me with his kids too)... but he wont because he's "tired" and doesn't want to do it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Just very grateful to be out of the diaper phase entirely.

Also very last daycare payment ever tomorrow!!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
yeah all grand parents are states away. envious of parents who have able bodied grandparents at our kids functions.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

brugroffil posted:

Just very grateful to be out of the diaper phase entirely.

:blessed:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Grandparent rankings, from lowest to highest

Grandad (mum's side): dead

Grandmother (dad's side): dead

Grandmother (mum's side): has dementia, is confined to nursing home in another country

Grandad (dad's side): absolutely loves him and is always happy to babysit on demand :3: but is too infirm to truly handle the kid's energy, speed or weight, especially past granddad's bed time (7pm)

So all round, pretty useless

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It is 8:11 pm in the evening and the sun is still out. This is bullshit!!!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I love this poo poo. I wish it was like this year round

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

my mom was basically the only grandparent i could trust for anything, and kid barely saw her other grandparents until her mom died at like age 4, and then covid happened. now i get nearly every weekend off because someone wants to take her to do some fun thing. grandparents ftw

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my daughter bit me randomly out of nowhere earlier - like i was just holding her, she was resting her head on my shoulder, and suddenly she's biting me! not cool baby. so i set her down and told her "we don't bite people" and she started crying. no justice in this world.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

my daughter bit me randomly out of nowhere earlier - like i was just holding her, she was resting her head on my shoulder, and suddenly she's biting me! not cool baby. so i set her down and told her "we don't bite people" and she started crying. no justice in this world.

kirby's inlaws have much to answer for

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008

meanolmrcloud posted:

cinci goons, we’re coming for a long weekend in a few weeks. are the zoo, aquarium in KY, and science center all worth going to?

We've never taken our kid to the zoo, but the science center is really, really cool. The aquarium is neat too but our kid gets bored about a third of the way through and then wants to speed run through the whole thing. Waste of money (for us).

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

we took our kids to the fancy aquarium in Toronto and of course the only thing they remembered is little play area with the water table. There was a tank filled with actual stingrays (I guess without the stings?) that you could touch just meters away but no recollection.

It was a VERY good water table though, little dams and water wheels and vortex features etc.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Ripley's? Yeah it's nice. We took our niece there for her birthday many years back and it's really nice in the winter when everything is grey. The tunnel that cuts through the shark tank that kids can crawl through is awesome. Although when my niece went to crawl through it and she got scared and froze up a third of the way through. I had to get in and crawl behind her like a slow moving giant boulder chasing indiana jones to get her out.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My daughter is really excited about her upcoming birthday so all her artwork currently features her name, six pointed stars and 666666666666666666666666666666666

I'm waiting for the call from the school.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"we're just happy at least one child is so supportive of Israel"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
"Above average for enthusiasm, below average for sigil work. We would like her to be summoning at a grade 3 level."

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Dreylad posted:

kirby's inlaws have much to answer for

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my younger kid just started playing soccer and his team is full of other kids who've played like no sports ever except for one kid who is clearly frustrated with his teammates.

last game he lost his mind when an opposing goal went in and tried to swing on the other player. lmfao love to see a seven year old with rage issues.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
lol jesus i think i played the adult version of that kid when i played rec soccer with some grad student friends. we weren't good but we were better than his team. the guy would play super aggro, constantly try to slide tackle the women on our team and try to fistfight the guys on our team every single game we played them

just raging out nonstop over a city rec league game

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

by the end of the game his mom took him aside to calm him down and he was shaking with anger screaming I WANT TO PUNCH THEM ALL IN THE FACE

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
he's right

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

if he had expressed it as a need it would have rung less hollow

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sports ftw

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son had a mini meltdown because we were talking about cub scouts and he said he wanted to be one, and i said that he wasn't old enough yet. he isn't! you have to be in kindergarten!

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
My son had his first day of school today. They have a short 1 1/2 month introduction to grade 0 which they'll be starting in earnest come august. I teared up a couple of times. Picked him up again after 2 hours and he seems exhausted.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
My 2yo has pneumonia. Pretty mild right now.

I'm sitting in a ward full of babies with pneumonia. I spoke to some of the other parents and it turns out some of them are in the same créche as my daughter, lmao. Could talk to some more people about pediatricians, schools, etc. Our pediatrician sucks (as I mentioned in this thread) and we got some good recommendations.

They also said the ward was full this weekend, and had to show some kids away, which is terrifying.

Struensee posted:

My son had his first day of school today. They have a short 1 1/2 month introduction to grade 0 which they'll be starting in earnest come august. I teared up a couple of times. Picked him up again after 2 hours and he seems exhausted.

Aww. Good luck. Change like that can be tough.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Hahaha the one parent in the ward is playing baby shark loudly for her kid while the physio slaps the baby's back to the same beat, creating a loud drumbeat.

Baby shark doof doof doof baby shark doof doof doof

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, the cold that went through the last two weeks was like THE WORST my pediatrician has seen in his 30 year career. Toddler and Baby got taken out for round 2 of cold. It has been a steady low-medium level of infection for like the last 3 weeks.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^ that sounds rough, I am sorry. "Funny" thing is, we are in Central Europe and we are on the same boat, recurring colds for everyone In and around kindergarten.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
"I know what the f-word is!" - The five year old who will not elaborate.

She did confide in me that the S-word is "stupid" though.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

3yo: tell me a funny secret!
ok, one time I pooped so hard…….I broke the potty
3yo, grave of face: oh no

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

"I know what the f-word is!" - The five year old who will not elaborate.

She did confide in me that the S-word is "stupid" though.

F-word is Fart, if my 4yo is to be believed

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
My wife and I just made a poo poo load of crackers

Graham crackers on the left, cheesy crackers on the right

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
looks great

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah, the cold that went through the last two weeks was like THE WORST my pediatrician has seen in his 30 year career. Toddler and Baby got taken out for round 2 of cold. It has been a steady low-medium level of infection for like the last 3 weeks.

My daughter has 3 viruses: rsv, rhinovirus and... I think coxsackie? Plus a bacterial infection TBD.

Apparently all the kids coming in have that combo now.

Luckily they're pretty good at treating it and everyone is getting better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Kid had RSV in December and that poo poo sucked. Pneumonia has to be over the top but I'm glad it's treatable.

We finally gave up on COVID last year because daycare illness carousel broke us but weirdly have never gotten it.