Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Dr. Cool Aids)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
99 come back, you don't need to wind up the bad thread, you can wind up GWS with pictures of your dinners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

he's run away to go on a vision quest, or joined the circus, or been kidnapped for ritual sacrifice by freemasons

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he's in a better place now (anywhere except d&d)

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Already excited that it's a long weekend coming up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

njancat

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

freelop posted:

Already excited that it's a long weekend coming up.

Awwww yis

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Going to LA for two weeks this weekend

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fridge corn posted:

Now that's a long weekend

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

fridge corn posted:

same but Japan. not that its a competition

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
but if it was...

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

how the other half live

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

but if it was...

It's okay, I've been to Japan 4 separate times

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
banned from each island one by one?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I've actually never been off honshu but I have been the length and breadth of it. Most of my time over there was just spent chilling in Tokyo tho

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Happy May Day comrades

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Going to a bbq this weekend, I will contribute jalapeno cornbread and a bunch of wings

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

fridge corn posted:

I've actually never been off honshu but I have been the length and breadth of it. Most of my time over there was just spent chilling in Tokyo tho

Nice. doing Tokyo and Osaka with probably Kyoto/Nara day trips

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

I'm gonna do this in a few months, along with Seoul/Busan/Jeju

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Nice! That will be a good time!

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Posting LLs in memory of 99s posting.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Press L to pay respects

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dysgenesis posted:

Posting LLs in memory of 99s posting.

Dial LL for LandLord

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
3 weeks of summer starts today.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

car bill estimate: £2700

cars are a scam, going to become a bicycle nomad

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I would love to go to Japan but both myself and Mrs Snape are covered in tattoos and having to stay covered up at all times to not offend the people could kinda suck

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

might just be locked in his car

This didn't end well for the last goon it happened to...

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Salisbury Snape posted:

I would love to go to Japan but both myself and Mrs Snape are covered in tattoos and having to stay covered up at all times to not offend the people could kinda suck

Not an issue, just don't go to any public hot springs and it doesn't factor at all.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Salisbury Snape posted:

yeah it's just the onsens that would turn you away. I imagine being Obviously White gives you some tattoo leeway. though when I went to Thailand there was a big sign saying that you're a oval office if you get a tattoo of Buddha

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

yeah it's just the onsens that would turn you away. I imagine being Obviously White gives you some tattoo leeway. though when I went to Thailand there was a big sign saying that you're a oval office if you get a tattoo of Buddha

I'd go ask the Japan thread in a/t cos I'm sure they can recommend and point you to onsens that allow tattoos. There's deffo a fair amount of them in international touristy areas!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Japan is number one on my list of next big trips I wanna take. I only stopped in Tokyo for 4 nights on my last big world trip which was just enough to whet my appetite. I have a Japanese friend living there who I've asked if she'll travel round a bit with me which I guess is a good idea because of all the countries Japan seems like one where the gulf between tourist and local experience is very wide.

I was a bit of a weeb as a teenager but got over that when I learned more about the culture and realised how sexist and hosed up it is in a number of ways but I still find the overall culture and art and food pretty great. I just don't want to read anymore godawful sex scenes in Murakami books

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Murakami is awful

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

fridge corn posted:

Murakami is awful

Banana Yoshimoto is my current fav Japanese author, I just picked up another of her books recently that I'm excited to get around to

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Haha banana

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Butterfly Valley posted:

I just don't want to read anymore godawful sex scenes in Murakami books

Yeah in Norwegian Wood he just talks about going round fingering people

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
current series of race across the world starts in Japan if anyone's into that lol. there's an old oval office that keeps trying to queue jump

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Banana Yoshimoto is my current fav Japanese author, I just picked up another of her books recently that I'm excited to get around to

Oh cool I've not heard of her. Another one to add to the list. I recently finished the latest Sayaka Murata to be translated into English and it was pretty good

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Yeah I'm saving up for a Japan trip for hopefully next year or 2026. Only issue is that I'd have to go in the summer holidays because I'd want to go for 2 weeks and I don't wanna risk doing it during Easter holidays or whatever (I'd worry about plane cancellations etc and missing work). Apparently Japan is horrific during the summer so lol lmao rip me

I think not visiting Japan would be my one biggest regret in life b/c I am a full blown unapologetic weeb. My plan is something like a weekend in Tokyo, couple of days in Osaka and then a few days in some small town around Lake Biwa or go gawp at Mino Ware in Gifu Prefecture. Then I wanna go up to Akira to visit GAO aquarium to see the Seals and just give them some love in Oga because it's a very unloved part of Japan that is trying so hard to get tourists to visit :cry: then finish off in Tokyo again before flying home!!

Tbf I don't even have much I want to do in Tokyo other than Yakuza tourist stuff lol

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I only read Kafka on the Shore and tbh I liked it idk

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is an all-time great book. Some of the other Murakami I've read is just weird and tedious tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Also got absolutely no interest in Kyoto. Not that into Japanese history and the whole geisha stuff or whatever. I just wanna go look at big bright lights in Tokyo and Osaka (also e as t lots of takoyaki in Osaka) and then check out small off the beaten tracks areas. I'm more into just vibing with locals and eating good food and drinking a terrifying amount of sake. Heck yeahhhhh