Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

quoting the last page the next time I see goons complaining devs need to do a qol season in any mp game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
the overall game changes are way better than any seasonal gimmick they could've come up with

excited to play

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I remember before the game came out the devs spoke about how their tool were so awesome and it enabled them to do amazing seasonal content so quickly lol

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

ultrachrist posted:

the overall game changes are way better than any seasonal gimmick they could've come up with

excited to play

Ditto. First time I've cared about the game since a month after launch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ultrachrist posted:

excited to play

Yeah kinda have to agree with this one. I dont care for Blizzard doing seasonal gimmicks after how boring season 3 was.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

excited to play

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Helltide overhaul is enough for me. I just want to kill large packs of enemies and that is what helltide provides. Its the best mechanic in the game right now.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

victrix posted:

quoting the last page the next time I see goons complaining devs need to do a qol season in any mp game

right? I feel like I imagined part of this thread.

e: the pit, the new crafting stuff, the iron wolves questline and the helltide changes are along the lines of what seasonal content would bring to the game, anyhow.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 1, 2024

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

iron wolves questline is probably a tutorial on how to use the tempering system

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I want the core gameplay to be fixed and an interesting seasonal mechanic. Those are my expectations for this game that sold a squillion copies that has an army of people working on it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The devs have *sigh* become corrupted..

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

External Organs posted:

The devs have *sigh* become corrupted..

is there an npc in town who can explain how i can rid sanctuary of this corruption and make d4 good

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

hawowanlawow posted:

iron wolves questline is probably a tutorial on how to use the tempering system

and the helltide changes are just bringing back the s2 gimmick

i'm down for all this stuff but

Ehud posted:

I want the core gameplay to be fixed and an interesting seasonal mechanic. Those are my expectations for this game that sold a squillion copies that has an army of people working on it.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I've not played for a while. Probably come back for the new season.
Anything I can/should do to prepare? I've not unlocked all the altars, so that needs finishing yeah? Anything else worth it atm?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

YerDa Zabam posted:

Anything I can/should do to prepare? I've not unlocked all the altars, so that needs finishing yeah? Anything else worth it atm?

you can grind out regional rep to the point where you get the paragon points if you haven't already, that carries over

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

YerDa Zabam posted:

Finish the campaign if you haven't.
Unlock the altars, yeah. And get your renown up in each region since that carries over as well.

Other than that, not much. A bunch of it is going to change in two weeks anyway

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A company like Blizzard shouldn’t have to skip putting out some dumb seasonal mechanic to put out QoL fixes, especially by their standards for seasonal mechanics.

The team they’ve got is the team they’ve got, though, and I don’t think they’ve got much.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

A company like Blizzard shouldn’t have to skip putting out some dumb seasonal mechanic to put out QoL fixes, especially by their standards for seasonal mechanics.

The team they’ve got is the team they’ve got, though, and I don’t think they’ve got much.

Yep. A lot of folks seem to think fixes/system rework = content.

I want this too. Doesn't seem too far fetched.

Ehud posted:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just did my first world boss too. Why was it as dull as og wow bosses?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Upsidads posted:

Just did my first world boss too. Why was it as dull as og wow bosses?

They look really cool in a trailer but perhaps aren't as integrated into the game system as they could be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

D4 devs all came over from WoW so bosses that take forever to kill while 10 people shoot magic missile over and over is mindblowing stuff.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What da heck is core gameplay

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Diablo: Cataclysm

lol just saw this. Whyyyyy

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i do wonder what this means re: normal seasonal turn around. did they not have a S4 theme as of 1.5 months ago and made it QoL season? was it always gonna be iron wolves but they cut it way back? did they drop their idea to use it in a future season?

surely S4=QoL season want their intent from way out after Swim Team Even wrapped up S2

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I saw something about Iron Wolves, an NPC, Ranks, and New Activities

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehud posted:

Of the copies sold though, how many people are still playing it? Does Diablo IV get really large player numbers coming back each season?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
this is like, fourth hand, but the MS earnings call mentioned it was a big gamepass launch, 10 billion hours played in 10 days or 10 billion monsters slayed or something. obviously doesn't speak to returning seasonal player base

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Necro minion buffs and Helltide improvements are good and will make levelling more fun than S3.

I'm genuinely interested to find out if The Pit + decent itemisation will be enough to sustain my interest past like level 80 which is when I usually get bored. I suspect D4 will end up like D3 for me where I play it for 3 or 4 days every season then I'm done, which is fine for a more casual ARPG. Lots of choice these days and not enough free time

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Is there a possibility that they’ll announce actually seasonal features at the next fireside chat, or whatever?

Hireable Iron Wolf mercenaries (mentioned earlier in this thread) seemed like a pretty natural and not terrible to implement idea given the themes, but welp.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

They might. There's a stream around this time tomorrow

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's gonna be exactly the same as every other season, I reckon. Take that as praise or condemnation

New NPC with an hour long quest, something to Rank Up to 16, overworld activity, instanced activity, and some kind of seasonal Buff. Oh and who could forget the Story Boss having a Hard Mode

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol at people complaining that after a massive revamp of loot, that there isn't a seasonal mechanic. These are changes people have wanted since launch, and all some of you can do is whine.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Whining is a character trait and thus a constant

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Peachfart posted:

lol at people complaining that after a massive revamp of loot, that there isn't a seasonal mechanic. These are changes people have wanted since launch, and all some of you can do is whine.

Was thinking the same thing. ARPG players are often terminally grouchy.

B.b.b.but they didn’t give me everything I wanted wah wah wah.

On the flip of that coin I’m kinda prepared for them to drop the ball somehow in the execution. It’s kind of a theme at this point. lol.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm gonna give all you homeschooled goody two shoes swirlies

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I bet a suit told the devs to not do a seasonal mechanic so the changes to itemization would have a season to mature without worrying about a seasonal mechanic muddying the data about how the itemization changes impact character abilities.

Peachfart posted:

Also this

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
dunking on blizz is like half the fun of playing this game, you don't gotta hand it to them!!!

i am actually looking forward to diving back into all this, assuming the new crafting stuff works i'm gonna enjoy pimping out my necro. gonna return to bone spear like i rolled with in preseason but will probably level to wt4 with minions. i know minions got a buff but i've been playing wraithlord necro in last epoch so i got my fill of OP pets.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Peachfart posted:

fucken heck yes to this!!!!!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I wasn't expecting loot Diablo 3.0 2.0 until the expansion honestly, very surprised they got this out for a season - changing the loot system like this is a crazy amount of work

anyway more news tomorrow on the stream so we'll see if there's anything else in the wings (I think they also said patch notes tomorrow?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kaysette posted:

dunking on blizz is like half the fun of playing this game, you don't gotta hand it to them!!!

i am actually looking forward to diving back into all this, assuming the new crafting stuff works i'm gonna enjoy pimping out my necro. gonna return to bone spear like i rolled with in preseason but will probably level to wt4 with minions. i know minions got a buff but i've been playing wraithlord necro in last epoch so i got my fill of OP pets.

do you know of a good necro minion build to follow yet for season 4? is it too early to have that figured out even with the test realm?