Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: loquacius)

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

we should do more mutual aid

no, not like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Biden tried to stop them but Trump wouldn't let him

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

gently caress that sucks

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

you cant make this poo poo up

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Jon Carbuncle posted:

we should do more mutual aid

no, not like that!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/flipmode27/status/1785668362581742026

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
George Washington university

https://twitter.com/gwhatchet/status/1785701757772829071?t=BRYsBdHoHgYPHxxgxv8DyQ&s=19

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Happy prayer day yall folx
A Proclamation on National Day of Prayer, 2024 | The White House

www.whitehouse.gov - Wed, 01 May 2024 posted:

On this National Day of Prayer, we recognize the power of prayer to strengthen our spirits, draw us together, and create hope for a better tomorrow.

The right to practice our faiths freely and openly is enshrined in the Constitution and remains at the core of our American spirit.  For centuries, Americans of every religion and background have come together to lift up one another and our Nation in prayer.  Throughout America’s history, faith and prayer have helped fuel some of the greatest moral missions of our time — from the abolition of slavery to the fight for voting rights and the Civil Rights Movement.  Many of our Nation’s greatest leaders have been motivated by faith to push all of us toward a more perfect Union and to bend the arc of the moral universe toward justice.  

Prayer is also deeply personal:  For the First Lady and me, and so many across this Nation, prayer has helped us find solace during tough times and stay grounded in good ones.  Prayer has helped the bravest among us — including our Nation’s service members and their caregivers, survivors, and families  – summon the courage to make great sacrifices for our democracy.  It has guided the hands of medical professionals, who heal our loved ones, and steeled the nerves of our first responders, who put everything on the line to keep the rest of us safe.  We will never know the full impact of prayer on our Nation or the world, but we remain confident that it makes a profound difference each and every day.

Scripture tells us to rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, and be constant in prayer.  This year, my prayer for our Nation is that we keep faith that our best days are ahead of us and continue to believe in honesty, decency, dignity, and respect.  May we see each other not as enemies but as fellow human beings, each made in the image of God and each precious in His sight.  May we leave no one behind, give everyone a fair shot, and give hate no safe harbor.  May we remember that nothing is beyond our capacity if we act together.

The Congress, by Public Law 100-307, as amended, has called on the President to issue each year a proclamation designating the first Thursday in May as a “National Day of Prayer.”

NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2, 2024, as a National Day of Prayer.  I call upon the citizens of our Nation to give thanks, in accordance with their own faith and conscience, for our many freedoms and blessings, and I invite all people of faith to join me in asking for God’s continued guidance, mercy, and protection.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
first day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty-four, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-eighth.

JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

It's really funny to see people talk up Biden and mention poo poo that has always existed as points in his favor. Like pslf and ibr plans literally didn't exist before Biden. They haven't been around for like 20+ years, ONLY Joe has been able to create these

I came across this & thought it was interesting in light of the p.r. superlatives one hears from the media about loan forgiveness vs. the visual of its reality:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tastes like Biden.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

look fat…it was..a prank and that’s…well…presinal trunt he would…thank you

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Willa Rogers posted:

I came across this & thought it was interesting in light of the p.r. superlatives one hears from the media about loan forgiveness vs. the visual of its reality:

lol he's forgiven a tenth of a percent of student loans

assuming no new debt starting today, it would only take 10,000 years for biden to forgive it all

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

"this is what happens under communism" but for the democrats

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol he's forgiven a tenth of a percent of student loans

assuming no new debt starting today, it would only take 10,000 years for biden to forgive it all

99% of what hes "forgiven" is the bush era program thats automatic

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

its even funnier because the power structure that did this is democrats from top to bottom

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

you need to look up the definition of fascism. Peaceful protest is a civil right that is guaranteed, but breaking and entering isn’t a peaceful protest. Also learn how government operates. A Mayor or Governor must ask for federal assistance or invite a President to visit, so not interfering until invited is actually the most anti-fascist thing a President could do.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Willa Rogers posted:

also chances are the only loans that were forgiven were people who had the resources to have their loans forgiven. working in higher ed ive filled out a ton of these forms and it was mostly admins turning them in

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Al! posted:

its even funnier because the power structure that did this is democrats from top to bottom

it always is

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

he wants to see students killed

https://twitter.com/ShawnReynolds_/status/1785718339194478819

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

you all act like you couldn't hear the guy saying HILL CONTESTED every 10 seconds when that was going on

CITY ON A HILL CONTESTED

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
a week from now?????

fake edit oh i guess that was probably a pre-planned event

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Al! posted:

yes that is the joke

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Joementum posted:

i MAY not be Alicia KEYS but this girl IS on fire!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Here in Providence Brown agreed to put divestment up for a vote in front of the whole board and the protestors stood down. Pretty baller. Hope it puts pressure on other schools and makes them look as poo poo as they are.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tom Tucker posted:

Here in Providence Brown agreed to put divestment up for a vote in front of the whole board and the protestors stood down. Pretty baller. Hope it puts pressure on other schools and makes them look as poo poo as they are.

Vote :obama:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Al! posted:

that professor would get even more arrested if trump was president!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/student-loan-forgiveness-7-4-billion-save-plan-pslf-cbs-news-explains/

quote:

In two separate lawsuits, Republican attorneys general in 18 states are pushing to have the SAVE plan tossed and to halt any further student debt cancellation. They say the SAVE plan oversteps Biden's authority and makes it harder for states to recruit employees. They also contend the plan undermines a separate cancellation program that encourages careers in public service.

It's unclear what the suits could mean for loans that have already been canceled. A court document filed by Kansas' attorney general says it's "unrealistic to think that any loan forgiveness that occurs during this litigation will ever be clawed back."
if even the people offering legal challenges to the cancellations are saying "if you cancel it now we'll never practically be able to reinstate the loans" then it seems to me that if you just said "gently caress the rules" and canceled the loans, then they wouldn't be able to do poo poo about it

anyway the syq about loans from two pages back almost got me before I double checked. i was still curious though. by a very rough eyeball estimate i think the count of people is up to like... maybe ?5 million? who have gotten some kind of loan relief from Biden. The thing is though, that number has a pretty hard cap, because they defined the categories pretty narrowly around the PSLF program and diploma mills. Unless the student loan situation dramatically changes, most people with loans will see no help.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

The liberal is beyond help. Their brain is fundamental broken.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
like, the best case you can make for the Biden administration's loan relief programs to a typical borrower is that you'll have a smaller ball and chain on your leg for the rest of your life than you would have had otherwise. another one of those "technically it's better than nothing but it won't move the needle for anyone" cases

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

spacemang_spliff posted:

oh my loving god this dork is a Disney adult podcaster lmao

https://twitter.com/efvdpodcast/status/1784307501435076762

Fox and Hound behind the scenes is interesting because behind the scenes it was a shitshow filled with future famous people like Tim Burton who became incredibly disenfranchised with Disney afterwards. Nemo in Slumberland was another example of that. So was Bernie 2016.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Probably Magic posted:

Nemo in Slumberland

one of my favorite animes when i was a kid

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

everyone in the nypd must

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SixteenShells posted:

like, the best case you can make for the Biden administration's loan relief programs to a typical borrower is that you'll have a smaller ball and chain on your leg for the rest of your life than you would have had otherwise. another one of those "technically it's better than nothing but it won't move the needle for anyone" cases

I moved over to the SAVE plan and it was a little bit of extra money in my pockets every month. I think in part because I was on the old IBR that was 15%. Not close to forgiveness or anything but still a noticeable reduction in my monthly payment. Idk I’m not going to sing Biden’s praises but also it’s enough to be better than absolutely nothing but not by much

Edit: the thing with interest no longer compounding does make a small difference though. It’s nice to see the balance slowly go down (I’ll still never pay it all off) instead of be higher each month after making my payment

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 18:47 on May 1, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Who is president currently

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

SixteenShells posted:

one of my favorite animes when i was a kid

Fox and Hound is pretty good too, to be honest.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Tom Tucker posted:

that sounds like they got played up for a vote when? what if it fails?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tom Tucker posted:

A vote on the issue 5 months from now, great negotiating from the students there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

oh lol brown uni lmbo yeah those got kids got played