Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

maybe he could train the dog to do some of the chores, kill two birds with one stone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

deety posted:

AITA for suggesting we split chores differently?

I love that this guy's deeply offended at the idea that he's being sexist while he's literally trying to establish more stereotypical gender roles in his relationship for no good reason. It's just pure big brain logic that the woman is faster and better at chores while the man's career should be prioritized. (And surely the promotions will come rolling in if he can think about work for an extra hour or two a day.)

He's deleted a bunch of comments, but his example of being slower at chores was that he clears off the counters to wipe the entire surface, while she usually only cleans the front parts that get used more often. It's like he doesn't get the difference between deep cleaning and daily maintenance, which makes me wonder whether his girlfriend would agree that he does 50% in the first place.

It's also great that he thinks she's overreacting. I mean, all he did was say that getting more free time at her expense would be good for her.
The thing that's the worst about this is that even though he says he has a "plan" it doesn't seem like there's a specific thing like having to work a ton of overtime at work for the foreseeable future. It just seems like he thinks that if he doesn't have to do housework he'll magically be able to do better work and get promoted.

If it was like "I have to work a ton of overtime so can you temporarily take over more chores for the next week and/or would it be okay if I work extra so I won't be able to do as much housework but I'll be making a lot of extra money and we'll hire people with that to clean the house and walk the dogs so we both have less housework to do" it would be a lot more reasonable

Also saying that he shouldn't have to do it because he's slow at it sounds like weaponized incompetence

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 1, 2024

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
His plan is to spend more time to "focus" on "dedicating himself" to "excelling"! How much more specific do you want, jeez!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel like if it was normal for pregnancy hormones to cause a psychotic fugue, I'd have heard about it before now. Instead, over the past few weeks I've read a bunch of Reddit stories about how it's unreasonable to expect a pregnant woman not to e.g. knock you unconscious with a cast-iron pan.

By the by, if you have a partner who thinks that saying "I wish that..." is clear communication that they expect you to do something for them, nip that poo poo in the bud as fast as you can.

i had that issue with my wife, she had this lovely habit of launching into a full on conversation somewhere in the middle of her train of though but didnt ever give me any context. it would start off with something like "so i talked to her and i think we should do it"

I honestly just started with responding with whatever rediculous context i could make up

" a threesome? sure but i dont think your grandma is a good idea this is a small town"

fortunately we got over this hurdle before she was pregnant and she also learned to just tell me what she wanted

if you ask me to get you something from the store, please specify what and what store please. we still have a pink flamingo toilet plunger because of that request and it is now a cherished family heirloom about how communication is important.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
AITA for refusing to make a cookie table for my sons wedding

quote:

My son is marrying Wendy and the wedding is this summer. She is not close to her own mother for multiple reason and is pushing hard to have me fill in the gap. I am not comfortable with it at all especially with how hard she is pushing. She has multiple times overstepped boundaries such as inviting herself along, discussing very personal issues, very touchy etc….

Due to these issues we are not close and my own daughters are not a huge fan of her. She asked me this week if I would make the cookie table for the wedding. It is something the brides own mother would do with other female relatives. This is the first time hearing about this tradition and I did some research. I would have to make over a thousand cookies from scratch to feed the wedding guest. I asked my daughters if they wanted to do it and it was a strong no.

I informed her that I can not do it, it is way to much work and I don’t have the time. She told me okay and I thought that was it.

My son called me up and told me I am a huge jerk. That Wendy has been crying about it and I should step up. I am still refusing to do it.

AITA?

Edit: common questions

Did DIL tell me the number: Yes she stated 1000-1200

What about fmaily helping: she isn’t close to her family so her side is out, my parents are in a home, I am an only child. My husband has a sister and I doubt she wants to help. Daughter don’t wish to, so it would basically be me

So, here's how the cookie table would work if she would put in a tiny bit of effort - ask for a guest list with emails. Contact guests and explain the cookie table. This is a regional tradition, so most guests will probably have some familiarity with it. Some of the guests will say "I'll bring this type of cookie". You make a list and send out a reminder the week before the wedding. Then, day of, you help put cookies out for people to choose from.

This MiL asked two people and said "guess it's impossible!". I'm guessing if she was doing anything else for the wedding, she would have said so.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There are a number of businesses which sell confectionaries for weddings. You might find it's a surprisingly common tradition.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Troublemaker posted:

WIBTA if I named my baby the name I want to despite everyone hating it?

quote:

even my father going as far as saying he would refuse to call the baby by the name we chose and instead call him and "it" and just call him another name he had chosen and my mother taking it into her own hands to find names that she said she would find "acceptable"

This kind of poo poo is so loving infuriating to me. Goddamn. Just complete loving disrespect. "We're not going to refer to your child by the name you choose." Tell these parents to gently caress off.

From someone in the comments:

Reddit posted:

My dad’s parents didn’t like my name when they were told. They made a fuss and tried to force my parents into using a nickname that had zero to do with my name. They also hated the fact that my name has no Catholic roots.

My mom looked at both and said “you will either call her by her name or you will not see or be able to get to know her. You choose what you want but you only have two options.” All of a sudden my name was beautiful and I didn’t need a nickname.

I will say my dad’s siblings gave some push back but my mom said the same thing again, and we are all cool now. I’m 32f and have only ever been called by my name, and I LOVE it.

This is how you handle the situation. Comply or be denied.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
It's kind of like an Appalachian stack cake - it came from a time when people didn't have much. Each household would bring a layer of the cake (or a box of cookies, in this case) and add them to the pile. It's a way for the community to celebrate the married couple. The meaning behind the tradition is not just having cookies - it's people celebrating the couple. The cookies at the same table may range from fancy gourmet bakery cookies to a plate of Oreos. No one cares if it's a box from the grocery store instead of something someone spends hours in the kitchen assembling.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bonster posted:

So, here's how the cookie table would work if she would put in a tiny bit of effort - ask for a guest list with emails. Contact guests and explain the cookie table. This is a regional tradition, so most guests will probably have some familiarity with it. Some of the guests will say "I'll bring this type of cookie". You make a list and send out a reminder the week before the wedding. Then, day of, you help put cookies out for people to choose from.

This MiL asked two people and said "guess it's impossible!". I'm guessing if she was doing anything else for the wedding, she would have said so.
If they're specifically asking for the MIL to bake 1000+ cookies from scratch and she doesn't want to do it then they're the rear end in a top hat

Otherwise pay someone to make them

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

mystes posted:

The thing that's the worst about this is that even though he says he has a "plan" it doesn't seem like there's a specific thing like having to work a ton of overtime at work for the foreseeable future. It just seems like he thinks that if he doesn't have to do housework he'll magically be able to do better work and get promoted.

If it was like "I have to work a ton of overtime so can you temporarily take over more chores for the next week and/or would it be okay if I work extra so I won't be able to do as much housework but I'll be making a lot of extra money and we'll hire people with that to clean the house and walk the dogs so we both have less housework to do" it would be a lot more reasonable

Also saying that he shouldn't have to do it because he's slow at it sounds like weaponized incompetence

Adulthood sucks in many ways, because we have to take care of things, do admin, pay bills. It's boring but it has to be done. But there are people who just don't want to do it, who get resentful about it. Sometimes they live alone and their house is always a mess, there's a constant trickle of unpaid bills, a car that's always broken down, and they complain about their bad luck and how other people are so unreasonable.

And sometimes they live with someone and they get to be really good at being bad at cleaning, finding other things to do, or passing off duties with "I'll get to that later / I'm busy right now, can you do it / but you're so good at cleaning ..."

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

mystes posted:

If they're specifically asking for the MIL to bake 1000+ cookies from scratch and she doesn't want to do it then they're the rear end in a top hat

They're not. They're asking her to do what I said in the post. It's a coordinating role, not a baking role.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

hawowanlawow posted:

degen as short for degenerate just isn't working for me

Haha. I must spend too much time in the seedy corners of FFXIV because I thought that was just common to use the word degen. I hear it all the fuckin time - but there it is used by people as a source of pride.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

mystes posted:

the wikipedia article says that it's family members so it shouldn't be JUST the MIL. It's a family effort to invite the new member in. turns out it's easy to make a thousand cookies when you have a thousand members of the family in reach. cookies stay good for weeks/months even so it doesn't all have to be at once. it's a cute bonding thing, and this MIL does NOT want to do any kind of bonding. Kind of a bummer

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bonster posted:

They're not. They're asking her to do what I said in the post. It's a coordinating role, not a baking role.
Googling wedding cookie table, the first few links that come up indicate that the cookies are baked by the the family of the bride or groom. If there's an even more obscure cookie table tradition than the one I've never heard of that comes up when you google it, and the more obscure one involves guests providing cookies, and that's what OP's kid's fiance is describing, then maybe she should have explained that?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Haha. I must spend too much time in the seedy corners of FFXIV because I thought that was just common to use the word degen. I hear it all the fuckin time - but there it is used by people as a source of pride.

It kinda has the same connotations as calling someone an undesirable

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Bonster posted:

I don't like the vibe of this post if only for the tone of "my future daughter-in-law has a poor relationship with her mother and is looking to me to be a mother figure in her life but gently caress that and gently caress her!"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ominous Jazz posted:

the wikipedia article says that it's family members so it shouldn't be JUST the MIL. It's a family effort to invite the new member in. turns out it's easy to make a thousand cookies when you have a thousand members of the family in reach. cookies stay good for weeks/months even so it doesn't all have to be at once. it's a cute bonding thing, and this MIL does NOT want to do any kind of bonding. Kind of a bummer
When you saying it's a "bonding" thing are you implying that the bride was offering to do it together with the MIL?

Or that it's okay to make the OP bake 1000 cookies because she should be grateful for being forced to bond with other family members who aren't being mentioned in the story but are assumed to exist and like baking and be eager for the opportunity to do it with OP?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

hawowanlawow posted:

degen as short for degenerate just isn't working for me

isn't it literally Nazi/fascist poo poo?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Cookie tables are just a free-for-all thing where all the guests bring whatever cookies, even store-bought ones. If you're in like, Youngstown, Ohio you don't even have to ask anyone you just need to supply the physical table and maybe a sign that says 'This is the Cookie Table'.

Source: I am unfortunately from Youngstown, Ohio

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Mordiceius posted:

I don't like the vibe of this post if only for the tone of "my future daughter-in-law has a poor relationship with her mother and is looking to me to be a mother figure in her life but gently caress that and gently caress her!"

That was the vibe that I got, too.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Degen in the Letterkenny sense refers to gross stupid racist sexist creepy assholes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Demanding that someone bake 1000-1200 cookies is not really a good way to build a relationship with them as a mother figure imo.

If the fiance was asking to do it together with OP or the fiance had reason to believe that OP loved to bake or something maybe that would be a reasonable take.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

mystes posted:

Demanding that someone bake 1000-1200 cookies is not a good way to look to them to be a mother figure.

you're being real cranky about this thing you don't understand
she's not being asked to bake a thousand cookies
she's being asked to take charge of the thousand cookie effort
which isn't like a super out there wedding tradition

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

InediblePenguin posted:

isn't it literally Nazi/fascist poo poo?

It can be, but speaking as someone relatively on top of Nazi dogwhistles I don’t think it’s one that any of the modern fash are all that into using.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ominous Jazz posted:

you're being real cranky about this thing you don't understand
she's not being asked to bake a thousand cookies
she's being asked to take charge of the thousand cookie effort
which isn't like a super out there wedding tradition
It is a completely out there wedding tradition if you're not from a very specific region of the US. We have no reason to believe that OP lives in that region, and if not, it's going to be a massive PITA to try to force guests to bake cookies for the wedding.

Additionally, it's not even clear if that's what OP was being asked to do since people literally in this thread have insisted OP is supposed to do it with family members (and apparently should be grateful for that opportunity? even though OP explicitly said there's nobody in her family who is able to help her with it)

If there are reasons why the task isn't actually as hard as OP thinks it is, then maybe the bride should explain that since OP has never heard of this bizarre tradition that probably 90% of people in the US are unaware of

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
I read the use of "degen" as coming from someone who probably watches letterkenny. same tone to me as "degens from upcountry wrecked the fishing shack"

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Bonster posted:

You should read the original reddit post again.

reddit posted:

This is the first time hearing about this tradition and I did some research. I would have to make over a thousand cookies from scratch to feed the wedding guest.

mystes
May 31, 2006

lostleaf posted:

OP also said this in a comment so it's pretty clear she talked to the fiance and the fiance expected OP to bake them with family members (but she doesn't actually have family members who are willing)

quote:

She told me from scratch, I think she thought my daughters would be interested but they aren’t. But she basically said the mothers do this

People are just going to extreme lengths to make up bizarre reasons that aren't in the actual post why this request is somehow not as obnoxious as it clearly actually is

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

lostleaf posted:

The entire point of the cookie table is that family and guests bring the cookies, so that you have an entire display of various cookies. It's like a buffet of cookies.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

lostleaf posted:

she didn't research hard enough because the first google result is explaining that it's not a one person affair

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Degen in the Letterkenny sense refers to gross stupid racist sexist creepy assholes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3blhnwtq2U

mystes
May 31, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

The entire point of the cookie table is that family and guests bring the cookies, so that you have an entire display of various cookies. It's like a buffet of cookies.

quote:

She told me from scratch, I think she thought my daughters would be interested but they aren’t. But she basically said the mothers do this

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Could be that OP didnt understand either and thought she would have to bake 1000 cookies, and definitely doesn't want to - so maybe part of this whole thing is a misunderstanding, and since the DIL has also been breaking boundaries OP is not willing to give her the benefit of the doubt to work it out.

Or maybe DIL misunderstood the tradition and is pushing too much on OP. Since it's so regional it sounds like misunderstandings from people not familiar abound.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 1, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

mystes posted:

Demanding that someone bake 1000-1200 cookies is not really a good way to build a relationship with them as a mother figure imo.

If the fiance was asking to do it together with OP or the fiance had reason to believe that OP loved to bake or something maybe that would be a reasonable take.

The cookie table is a separate issue. I was more speaking to this part:

quote:

She is not close to her own mother for multiple reason and is pushing hard to have me fill in the gap. I am not comfortable with it at all especially with how hard she is pushing. She has multiple times overstepped boundaries such as inviting herself along, discussing very personal issues, very touchy etc….

It just reads like "my future DIL is trying to be close to me and I do not want to be close to her"

Wow! She tried to open up to you and be vulnerable around you. How completely monstrous of her.

mystes
May 31, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It sounds like she didn't understand either and thought she would have to bake 1000 cookies, and definitely doesn't want to - so maybe part of this whole thing is a misunderstanding, and since the DIL has also been breaking boundaries OP is not willing to give her the benefit of the doubt to work it out.

quote:

quote:

Did DIL tell me the number: Yes she stated 1000-1200

Why are you all making up reasons to be mad at OP that directly contradict what she has clearly stated?

Mordiceius posted:

The cookie table is a separate issue. I was more speaking to this part:

It just reads like "my future DIL is trying to be close to me and I do not want to be close to her"

Wow! She tried to open up to you and be vulnerable around you. How completely monstrous of her.
Again, it would be fine if she wanted to bake cookies with OP. Demanding cookies is not "opening up" or trying to establish a relationship with OP. These takes are just completely bizarre.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm not? I added more to my post to clarify, I was saying it sounds like there's a misunderstanding somewhere in there about the tradition itself, either by OP or the DIL. And DIL is already in a situation where she hasn't been very respectful in the past.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

mystes posted:

Again, it would be fine if she wanted to bake cookies with OP. Demanding cookies is not "opening up" or trying to establish a relationship with OP. These takes are just completely bizarre.

Read my post again. I am not talking about the cookie table at all. I am talking about the literal first lines of her post. Before she discusses the cookie table.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

mailorder bees posted:

I read the use of "degen" as coming from someone who probably watches letterkenny. same tone to me as "degens from upcountry wrecked the fishing shack"

this is of what it made me think

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can't believe people are having an argument about cookies and it's not even a fun one, like whether double chocolate chip is better than triple chocolate chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can't believe people are having an argument about cookies and it's not even a fun one, like whether double chocolate chip is better than triple chocolate chip.

Triple. Every time.