Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Serephina posted:

I know some RLs have a save/load feature if you enable it (eg Cogmind), but as for Qud's checkpointing semi-permadeath system... it seems pretty unique?

It is pretty unique! There's a game called Legerdemain which has the same basic idea - if you die, you get resurrected at the last inn you slept at. It's been decades since I played that game - I don't recall if it had procedural generation or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the dark souls of roguelikes if you will

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amuys posted:

I'd say blood or death are the easiest since it's very very hard to die with the lifesteal. All the paths being different is what I like the most of it.

Death is one of my outstanding paths, actually

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In a nice surprise, Creator of Another World got an English release on Steam! An amusingly timed fellow traveler to Elona and Elin in spirit to a degree, though Elin still has to start EA proper.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2761610/Creator_of_Another_World/

quote:

『Creator of Another World』 is a roguelike RPG with a high degree of freedom.
Explore the world full of adventures, interact with its inhabitants, marry, steal, do farming and fishing, blacksmithing and forging, mix potions, build towns without being tied to any goal!
You can make friends with people you meet on your journey and go on adventures with them, or clear numerous dungeons to become stronger and stronger.
More than that, the world map, all towns, inhabitants, adventurers, and dungeons are randomly generated for each new game, providing a fresh game experience each time.

Every character has a personality
Every person in the game has unique characteristics, and they act according to their will.
You can go on adventures together or get married with most of the characters.
In addition, this game allows you to create your own original adventurers and let them live in the game.

Great number of random elements
The world map, towns, inhabitants, adventurers, and dungeons are randomly generated for each game.
Furthermore, the various equipment you will find has random properties, and even the same equipment can perform differently.
You can learn enemy skills by reading skill books dropped by enemies.
This game is full of random elements that give you a fresh gaming experience every time.

Highly strategic combat
During battles, the situation can change any moment depending on the characters' positions, visibility, weather, time of day, etc.
Use different equipment, skills, and items with various characteristics to overcome difficult situations and defeat your enemies!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ExiledTinkerer posted:

In a nice surprise, Creator of Another World got an English release on Steam! An amusingly timed fellow traveler to Elona and Elin in spirit to a degree, though Elin still has to start EA proper.

They made a roguelike about Eric Chahi?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
full translation Big Bia now

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Still playing a bit of Astral Ascent, not a lot of hours per week, but here and there. It’s really the ‘casual’ version of Dead Cells, the difficulty progression is very smooth, very gentle. In between the normal metaprogression upgrades and the Destiny fragments you get from the Zodiac fights (I like the QoL feature that the game will always throw at you the zodiacs that you still have to get their destiny fragments), your power level increases almost at the same level as the difficulty increases, at least for the first levels of the New game+ structure.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I feel like I'm missing something regarding Achra builds. I've won numerous times with various cowardly summoner builds that hide in a corner sobbing while my infinite tides of disposable minions kill everything for me, but whenever I try a more hands-on martial build it seems basically impossible to get off the ground due to either lacking durability or lacking sustainability. It seems like you have to spend a huge skill tax just to get over stuff like inflexibility tanking your speed to uselessness or simply just getting enough armor or block or dodge to not die, which in turn delays your offense skills, which means you're eating more hits to begin with.

What's the secret sauce to actually getting a melee fighter off the ground?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kanos posted:

I feel like I'm missing something regarding Achra builds. I've won numerous times with various cowardly summoner builds that hide in a corner sobbing while my infinite tides of disposable minions kill everything for me, but whenever I try a more hands-on martial build it seems basically impossible to get off the ground due to either lacking durability or lacking sustainability. It seems like you have to spend a huge skill tax just to get over stuff like inflexibility tanking your speed to uselessness or simply just getting enough armor or block or dodge to not die, which in turn delays your offense skills, which means you're eating more hits to begin with.

Inflexibility is death, speed is life, multiple hits are very good

Eris is your very best friend (unless you’re going for pugilism)

Try to scale a martial effect as well

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if you don’t want to feel like you’re forced into an electromancy/technique tax, try an ape warlock

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
My first win was just grabbing a load of blood talents and just outhealing everything in melee. Very straightforward.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Razakai posted:

My first win was just grabbing a load of blood talents and just outhealing everything in melee. Very straightforward.

Identifying your healing engine is very important; Fire Healing is an obvious one, along with the blood tree. red axe and crimson plating are also very good options, ruddy fist is too

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I've tried a few of the obvious healing engines, and they (mostly) work, except I run into real trouble when fighting enemies that apply DoT effects because it turns out most of the healing engines stop working when there's no enemies left to kill so you keel over dead from 500 debuff stacks before you can change floors.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Kanos posted:

Tengu Asasssin of Tengri. Put points into agility and lightning stuff. There you go

Be sure to look for items/weapons that best complement your playstyle as well!

Amuys fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 1, 2024

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kanos posted:

I've tried a few of the obvious healing engines, and they (mostly) work, except I run into real trouble when fighting enemies that apply DoT effects because it turns out most of the healing engines stop working when there's no enemies left to kill so you keel over dead from 500 debuff stacks before you can change floors.

it's been a little bit since I've played but I remember a few different ways to clear effects

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Kanos posted:

Well, "melee build" and "slow, tanky melee build" are two slightly different things; as others noted there are plenty of speedy glass cannon melee options that win by blitzing everything down rapidly while only having moderate defenses.

The key point with inflexibility (and any speed-reducing mechanic) is that it still can only reduce you to your minimum, which you can eventually raise into the 30s or 40s which is "good enough."

You can also always pick a god that specifically fills the survivability gaps you need to skirt the "skill tax" issue. Mardok and Humbaba both give healing and "smash stuff" synergy straight out of the gate.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Fool posted:

it's been a little bit since I've played but I remember a few different ways to clear effects
Various prayers, talwar, emerald skirt

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

There are also ways to do martial builds without doing a traditional “run up and hit them” melee build. You can do a Fawdaa (unlimited teleportation god) and Stand Ground+Astrohunting build for example, or a Peltast build focussed on ranged attacks, with the multi-attack skill from lightning since it doesn’t require adjacency. Both of these mean you’ll take a lot less damage than running up to wail on enemies.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
But yeah, a source of healing is pretty much near mandatory whether it's a power, a racial trait, or prayer. There are a few items that give it too but having a panic button does come in handy often.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Kanos posted:

You will want a source of extra attacks and some sort of healing. Fortunately, every tree other than Martial, Lightning, Astral and Psychic has some source of melee-friendly healing.

Lightning deserves a special mention as Stormcalling enables a bunch of summon strategies you wouldn’t otherwise notice; in terms of healing that’s Grove Cult (good synergy here with Vineform too) and the Eresh passive.

The Technique skill isn’t mandatory but it’s very, very useful, and a more or less braindead way to get both extra attacks and -inflexibility.

You will also want to avoid fights with masses of strong ranged attackers until your build is solid or you have a way of dealing with them. Rhombids and Jawharas are run-enders.

If all else fails remember that taking a point of Vigor heals you to full and clears your debuffs.

Uncle Khasim fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 2, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Also don't be shy to just take some vigor even if you don't need the full heal. Any time I feel my damage output is good and I don't urgently need to drop encumbrance or gain speed or whatever I'll consider pumping some levels into more HP. Having a good buffer to survive damage spikes can save a run.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Embrace the way of Jade, watch your enemies explode into a mass of poison and disease for having the temerity to hit you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amuys posted:

But yeah, a source of healing is pretty much near mandatory whether it's a power, a racial trait, or prayer. There are a few items that give it too but having a panic button does come in handy often.

Ironically, my last two mono paths are death and fire

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Shiren 6 got an update. The monster dojo is pretty fun, basically this game's take on Fay's puzzles. Every monster family you encounter unlocks a handcrafted puzzle room that requires you to understand and/or exploit their behavior to reach the stairs. Clearing the dojo unlocks that monster as a playable character in the Sacred Tree.

Sacred Tree lets you replay dungeons with a bunch of optional challenges, like time trials (both ingame turn and realtime) or disabling certain item types. Most interesting is the monster trials, where you can play as any of the monsters you unlocked. You get their abilities but it also disables your inventory and changes how hunger/levels/hp regen work. Looking forward to watching some insane Japanese player clear the 99F dungeon as a mamel.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
that's pretty cool. i still need to go back and finish mighty island and then the 99 floor dungeon.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Was curious...how far do you guys typically get in your roguelikes? I was thinking about it and I was a bit embarrassed to realize that I've barely beaten any of them even once, let alone multiple times. I think the only ones I've really cleaned out were Hades and Curse of the Dead Gods, with a few others like Dead Cells beaten once but not more, and then there's a laundry list of games I technically enjoy like Dredmor, Barony, Gungeon, Wizard of Legend, Synthetik, Necrodancer and so on that have never been beaten a single time. It's not that I dislike them or anything, and I suppose it isn't that special to not beat a game when you look at average completion rates but, well, I dunno, I guess it just feels a bit odd considering the replayable nature of these games and that I'm missing out! Wonder if some games are just more motivating than others naturally: I wouldn't be surprised if Hades has higher completion rates because of its strong narrative.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In the vein of classic roguelikes a la Nethack, I must shamefully admit that the only one I've legitimately finished is Dredmor. Plenty of shenanigans with wizard mode or similar though. I made it to the orb chamber in some earlier version of DCSS but got splatted by a lich and I haven't really played it since. In ADOM I got confused into the piranha lake which is the farthest I've ever reached there.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FutureCop posted:

Was curious...how far do you guys typically get in your roguelikes? I was thinking about it and I was a bit embarrassed to realize that I've barely beaten any of them even once, let alone multiple times. I think the only ones I've really cleaned out were Hades and Curse of the Dead Gods, with a few others like Dead Cells beaten once but not more, and then there's a laundry list of games I technically enjoy like Dredmor, Barony, Gungeon, Wizard of Legend, Synthetik, Necrodancer and so on that have never been beaten a single time. It's not that I dislike them or anything, and I suppose it isn't that special to not beat a game when you look at average completion rates but, well, I dunno, I guess it just feels a bit odd considering the replayable nature of these games and that I'm missing out! Wonder if some games are just more motivating than others naturally: I wouldn't be surprised if Hades has higher completion rates because of its strong narrative.

i either bounce off immediately or obsessively no-life my way through about 90% of everything there is to do over the course of about a month

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

roguelikes are a genre that rewards sitting down and really learning the ins and outs of the game and running a mile for every scrap of an inch it gives you. so if you're bouncing between a bunch of them then you might struggle to "beat" any of them because you're not getting deep enough into them. if going from start to finish in an rl is your goal, then pick the one that you hyperfixate on the most and stick with it

but feel free to do this with a smaller game. phone gaming is a wasteland but it's also home to some of the better roguelikes out there, like hoplite, or downwell, or just about anything made by michael brogue (play 868-hack, it's loving outstanding). they'll also teach you pretty good roguelike habits that you can take into other games in the genre. and the best part is how easy they are to boot up and play, so you have lots of opportunities to get in there and learn.

e: anyway uh i've completed hell in spelunky, gotten 15 runes in dcss a couple of times, i beat hades until i got bored of it, and while i've never completed the harder dungeons in a shiren game i made a second job out of rescuing people for a while

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 2, 2024

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Monthly reminder that Crypt of the Necrodancer is the best roguelike and still releasing new content.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Monthly reminder that Crypt of the Necrodancer is the best roguelike and still releasing new content.

Does anyone else play this exclusively with a DDR pad?

I've never made it past the second dungeon level and I'm starting to think the DDR pad is an obstacle for my progress.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

cock hero flux posted:

i either bounce off immediately or obsessively no-life my way through about 90% of everything there is to do over the course of about a month

:hai:

This is the way.

Mono-fire down in Path of Achra. My least favourite of the mono-elements. It just does nothing interesting except burn everything near you, and at a rate that's too slow without finding something else to help get you there. I finally managed with phoenix cheese. glad to get that one checked off the list.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

credburn posted:

Does anyone else play this exclusively with a DDR pad?

I've never made it past the second dungeon level and I'm starting to think the DDR pad is an obstacle for my progress.

yeah absolutely, everyone does.

and I'd recommend trying Coda out, that should help.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

FutureCop posted:

Was curious...how far do you guys typically get in your roguelikes?

cock hero flux posted:

This is sort of me too. If a game hooks me, I will stake out a vendetta on clearing it at least once. I compulsively splatted probably a few dozen Rift Wizard runs for a week or two without really doing anything else until I managed to win for the first time.

Although, if a game is only mid I'm willing to dip once I've secured at least the one clear. Golden Krone Hotel is an example of a RL I thought was totally "fine" and have poked at a couple more times but feel no compulsion to clear more than once.

This is actually why I really love the heat/ascension system of design, as it means that generally the game is easy enough out of the gate to win one run, and then you can make the judgement call on whether the game is good enough to bother mastering further without feeling like you're missing out on anything if you decide not to.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

SettingSun posted:

In the vein of classic roguelikes a la Nethack, I must shamefully admit that the only one I've legitimately finished is Dredmor. Plenty of shenanigans with wizard mode or similar though. I made it to the orb chamber in some earlier version of DCSS but got splatted by a lich and I haven't really played it since. In ADOM I got confused into the piranha lake which is the farthest I've ever reached there.

I managed to beat DCSS once, but it was with the OP gnoll race so im not sure if it counts. Also managed to beat RW2, I think those are the hardest traditional roguelikes ive beaten

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

babypolis posted:

I managed to beat DCSS once, but it was with the OP gnoll race so im not sure if it counts. Also managed to beat RW2, I think those are the hardest traditional roguelikes ive beaten
Gnolls or not that's a legit win, gratz on it.

---

I tend to really commit when a RL grabs me and ascend a few times before moving on, but there's often a challenge mode or two I'll never touch, however. Listing some out: DCSS, Sil, DoomRL, Spelunky, FTL, Necrodancer, and the list goes on but you'll notice they're becoming less and less Traditional RLs. I'm glad that Cogmind and Qud/Sproggi exist, we really need more of that sort of stuff. The market is niche, but I'm glad that it's been shown to be viable.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FutureCop posted:

Was curious...how far do you guys typically get in your roguelikes?

Like every other game I play, the minute I have to look something up in a wiki, I bounce. It doesn't mean I think the game is bad, but I only fully play games that either explain themselves or reveal themselves. This rules out a lot of stuff, or makes for very short playtimes. I've made my peace with this.

Examples of roguelikes that work for me are Jupiter Hell, Spelunky, Invisible Inc (if we want to count that), and Dungeonmans. I want to discover through play and suffering, not from doing homework or following a play guide, or studying at the feet of the game's masters. Just me, and the game.

If help or community is locked behind a Discord, I won't even try it. Get that crap outta here. If a game is developed primarily for its expert players, I'm OK admiring it from afar.

I just don't have time for (what I define as) malarkey, and there are fresh, enticing new roguelikes being made all the time.

Not coincidentally, I don't beat many roguelikes, even ones I like. I generally hit a point where I've had enough fun with a given set of mechanics, and start eyeballing something new. Dungeonmans did this for me. It was great fun, up to when I had gained an intermediate understanding of the game arc, then I considered myself as having a complete enough experience.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 2, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

FutureCop posted:

I've ascended in Nethack six times, but I realized some time ago that the last time I've done it was in the 00's. I've started trying again, I can reliably make it to around Gnometown but then invariably do something stupid and welp :eng99: I never managed to win any victory in ADOM, and I stopped playing that a long time ago. The other roguelikes I regularly play are FTL and Into the Breach, and I can finish a run a good amount of the time, but those games are meant to be short and it's resolved either way pretty fast. I've unlocked all of the unlockables in both, on easy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've played Nethack off and on for 25 years, have never ascended, and only once ever actually reached the amulet. I think I died trying to take it. I can't remember. I think the amulet itself killed me for some reason :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

credburn posted:

I've played Nethack off and on for 25 years, have never ascended, and only once ever actually reached the amulet. I think I died trying to take it. I can't remember. I think the amulet itself killed me for some reason :(

I am fairly certain that the amulet itself can't hurt you (it won't blast you like cross-aligned artifacts etc.), but it will have a smattering of really nasty effects making the surrounding dungeon more difficult. I guess it would starve you to death faster if you let it?