Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
update on the Inside the NBA contracts thing

https://awfulannouncing.com/tnt-sports/charles-barkley-leave-lose-nba-rights.html

quote:

“I covered my rear end to be honest with you,” Barkley said. “I just signed a 10-year deal two years ago, but one of the things I did was I put an opt-out in a couple years because I wanted to cover my rear end when it comes to this situation.”

Barkley revealed that he anticipated that TNT could lose its NBA rights over the course of his 10-year deal, although he and his colleagues thought it would be Apple taking their place. With Disney expected to maintain the league’s top package and Amazon having already reportedly agreed to a deal for select regular-season and postseason games, TNT remains in play to remain a part of the next rights deal, but could very well be outbid by NBC as the network attempts to bring the NBA back to its airwaves.

But regardless of what the NBA’s next rights deal looks like, Barkley maintains he has the ability to leave for a competitor if TNT isn’t a part of it. And while he didn’t say so explicitly, it might be a safe bet the same is true for his Inside the NBA co-hosts, as the show’s cast signed their new contract extensions in unison in 2022.

so Koop was probably right about all four guys having opt-outs of some sort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I also get the feeling that the NBA stuff means the AEW talks are gonna move slowly for a bit, just because WBD are probably focused on basketball.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NBA also is likely going to expand once new deals are signed, Silver has been saying as such.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think another Dave mentioned it that everyone is looking for 10 years deals right now to lock rights up and I wonder if AEW gets offered a 10 years deal with a big but not eye ball big increase do they take it

Anyway Collision and Dynamite were in the top 6 for entertainment programs from 4/22 to 4/28 which is a good number

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

STING 64 posted:

NBA also is likely going to expand once new deals are signed, Silver has been saying as such.

Sonics, bitch.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think another Dave mentioned it that everyone is looking for 10 years deals right now to lock rights up and I wonder if AEW gets offered a 10 years deal with a big but not eye ball big increase do they take it

Anyway Collision and Dynamite were in the top 6 for entertainment programs from 4/22 to 4/28 which is a good number

I feel like if Tony were given a promise that his fun wrestling promotion would be on TV in 2034 (while making reasonable money) he would take it instantly, but that's just gut.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
....so, if WBD loses the NBA, which looks like it's gonna happen.

Does that get Zaslav fired?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

It might be enough to piss off the shareholders to make that happen, yes.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

unless they get the paramount merger done this year if they lose the nba, probably

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

STING 64 posted:

unless they get the paramount merger done this year if they lose the nba, probably

Pretty sure the Paramount merger is DOA as of last week.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MJeff posted:

I'm going to say no. NBC's bid is doubling what WBD is paying per year, from 1.2b to 2.5b. Needless to say, that's a huge increase and it's genuinely questionable if a company who's on cable/streaming would be able to generate enough revenue to offset the significant cost increases. Add in that NBC is promising to air two games a week in prime time (most likely some kind of Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday combo to avoid competing with the NFL) as you can see where the NBA would prefer the NBC deal.

It's possible that WBD could get a sliver of the NBA package, maybe some kind of once a week deal to keep airing games on Wednesdays, but they wouldn't be given any marquee matchups and would most likely be taking games that would be airing on NBA TV otherwise, so if you love the Atlanta Hawks or Portland Trailblazers or teams like that good for you.

Losing the NBA would save WBD 1.2b a year plus whatever the costs were of airing the NBA several times a week, but now it opens up several hours of prime real estate that they now need to fill, and the most important aspect is that all of their inventory is now less valuable. The NBA was the tide that carried all ships; NHL Playoffs might be great but the league doesn't have the cultural cache or interest that the NBA does. Everything sports-wise would take a huge hit without the NBA package to lead the way in advertising rates. (The NCAA Tournament is an exception but it's such a limited spot on the calendar that it doesn't count).

So to the pertinent topic at hand, could WBD take a fraction of what they were paying the NBA and give it to AEW, maybe move Rampage from a dead timeslot to a prime time one? Potentially, but they're not going to make close to what they were making with the NBA airing at those times. They're going to have to air something during those times and they may simply decide that second-run movies or some kind of reality show is better than more wrestling or actually going back to developing original series.

In short, Zaslav's in a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. It's a cost that WBD probably can't afford to pay, but at the same time it's a cost that WBD really can't afford not to pay.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

if you love the Atlanta Hawks or Portland Trailblazers or teams like that good for you.

Come on man

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

My understanding of Zaslav's role at WBD is that he's there to dig them out of the hole of debt they're in. The reason he kiboshed nearly finished movies and took the tax relief is because it was guaranteed money as opposed to betting on those movies actually doing well and recouping costs. So I think there's no reasonable expectation for him to make some kind of big money play to keep the NBA rights if it entails meaningful financial risk.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ivypls posted:

My understanding of Zaslav's role at WBD is that he's there to dig them out of the hole of debt they're in. The reason he kiboshed nearly finished movies and took the tax relief is because it was guaranteed money as opposed to betting on those movies actually doing well and recouping costs. So I think there's no reasonable expectation for him to make some kind of big money play to keep the NBA rights if it entails meaningful financial risk.

at the same time if they lose the NBA then hockey and AEW really do become the only thing keeping the station afloat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pylons posted:

Come on man

I'm not even sure what you're taking exception to here, is it that Portland is so bad they probably won't even be on those games either?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

STING 64 posted:

at the same time if they lose the NBA then hockey and AEW really do become the only thing keeping the station afloat.

They still have MLB and NCAA Basketball, don't they? Obviously none of those are at the level of the NBA but they're something.

Are any other sports packages coming up soon?

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Pylons posted:

It might be enough to piss off the shareholders to make that happen, yes.

Zaslav in one of his first shareholder meetings when he became CEO of the new WBD said very bluntly they don’t need the NBA. I don’t think he gives a poo poo even if I find it to be immensely shortsighted.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MJeff posted:

They still have MLB and NCAA Basketball, don't they? Obviously none of those are at the level of the NBA but they're something.

Are any other sports packages coming up soon?

they only have playoffs for MLB and NCAA Basketball.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Copeland Backstage Promo, Orange Cassidy vs. Trent: P2 768k, P18-49 317k

Cassidy vs. Beretta cont., Statlander, The Elite angle, Jack Perry promo, ad break, Kenny Omega promo, Serena Deeb promo: P2 696k, P18-49 313k

Deeb, Toni Storm promo, Mariah May vs. Harley Cameron: P2 731k, P18-49 335k

Finish of May vs. Cameron, Mina Shirakawa, PAC/Bullet Club Gold backstage angle, Malakai Black video, ad break, recap, Swerve Strickland live promo: P2 724k, P18-49 350k

Strickland, Cage live promo, Mogul Embassy angle, Willow Nightingale promo, Rocky Romero vs. Jay White: P2 787k, P18-49 369k

Romero vs. White continued, Samoa Joe video, ad break, jobbers vs. Big Bill & Jericho: P2 718k, P18-49: 332k

Jobbers vs. Big Bill & Jericho continued, Jericho live promo, Adam Copeland vs. Brody King: P2 665k P18-49 296k

Copeland vs. Brody King continued, Post-match with Kyle O'Reilly: P2 628k, P18-49 266k

Mercedes Mone live promo, The Elite, Jack Perry live promo, angle with FTR, Eddie, Bryan P2 654k, P18-49 288k

Pylons fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 9, 2024

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cope match dropping 10% is rough but I remember a lot of ads in that match. Not sure if it was up against the end of any of the games maybe too?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The other takeaway: The women are a draw brother.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The people demand more Serena Deeb promos and Harley Cameron matches

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Please don't post Thurston's images directly. You can share the info but the images are paywalled content.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

post hole digger posted:

Cope match dropping 10% is rough but I remember a lot of ads in that match. Not sure if it was up against the end of any of the games maybe too?

survivor had a crazy tribal council and an overrun, did a .80 in demo. nba def doesnt help.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

looking back, at when aew originally wanted tuesday for its day, i wonder how much better dynamite would have fared based on competition of that day. i know regular season it gets tough because tnt has the nba on tuesday nights but they've been competing against the nba seemingly weekly anyway.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anyway the overrun had an increase sooooo apologize to the Bucks.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
there's growing indications that NBC is going to get the NBA rights, Bill Simmons seems to think that the deal is all but announced

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...=BingNewsSearch
https://brobible.com/sports/article/bill-simmons-says-nbc-won-nbc-broadcasting-right/

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Nick Khan controlled media. :tinfoil:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MJeff posted:

Anyway the overrun had an increase sooooo apologize to the Bucks.

ok:negative:

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Barry Bluejeans posted:

there's growing indications that NBC is going to get the NBA rights, Bill Simmons seems to think that the deal is all but announced

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...=BingNewsSearch
https://brobible.com/sports/article/bill-simmons-says-nbc-won-nbc-broadcasting-right/

David Zaslav should be hit repeatedly with rolled up magazines

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Is WB losing the NBA good or bad for AEW?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Majinfoose posted:

Depends. NBA brings a lot of prestige and carriage fees and ad dollars that will be tough to replace. OTOH more money for AEW and I can see them pivoting to more AEW and probably NHL

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Majinfoose posted:

It more or less depends on what direction WBD decides to go in in response to that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

If they maintain or expand their deals for March Madness and can get in on the WNBA tv rights i could see them wanting to stay Sports Relevant which with the upcoming TruTV rebrand would only be a good thing for AEW. If they decide to get out of sports entirely and burn their deals to expand their sports platform that they are building on Max and decide hockey isn't worth it, Tony might want to start shopping around and even then I imagine it would be very attractive for a number of networks to go after a product that is doing top 5 in the demo week after week against tough competition. Whether they get a huge money offer is a different matter entirely.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

STING 64 posted:

If they maintain or expand their deals for March Madness and can get in on the WNBA tv rights i could see them wanting to stay Sports Relevant which with the upcoming TruTV rebrand would only be a good thing for AEW. If they decide to get out of sports entirely and burn their deals to expand their sports platform that they are building on Max and decide hockey isn't worth it, Tony might want to start shopping around and even then I imagine it would be very attractive for a number of networks to go after a product that is doing top 5 in the demo week after week against tough competition. Whether they get a huge money offer is a different matter entirely.

They could pick up UFC rights from Disney too.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

PWInsider posted:

Warner Bros. Discovery will be holding their upfronts presentation tomorrow in New York City. We are hearing that AEW will be mentioned as part of the presentation, which will be held at The Theater in Madison Square Garden. So no one gets ahead of themselves this year, we do not believe that the two sides have locked in a new media rights deal and do not expect there will be any sort of announcement in that regard tomorrow. So, if you are hyping yourself up for that, you should stop.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
UFC expires in 2025, are any other sports properties coming due anytime soon?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

UFC expires in 2025, are any other sports properties coming due anytime soon?

WNBA is also next year I believe.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Fightful Select had a story about AEW and WBD and I didn't wanna go off secondhand tweets so I just dropped the five bux. Is it hypocritical of me to ask Pylons to not copy and paste Thuston's charts while I'm copy and pasting directly from Fightful's patreon mere days later? That's an excellent question. Well, anyway.

quote:

As of Tuesday, PWInsider reported that it was believed that a new deal has not been reached, and while AEW is likely going to be mentioned at the WBD UpFronts, that a new deal isn't likely to be announced. However, after speaking with AEW and WBD sources, we've learned a lot more about the relationship.

We're told that the announcement of a new deal is expected to be kept very close to the vest and Summer or Fall could be a more likely announcement point. The exclusivity window between AEW and WBD continues into the summer, though we don't have a firm date on when that ends.

While we're not sure where it will be announced, there is a pilot for a new AEW-related program with WBD that was set to be announced for social channels this week. It was described as not being a reality series.

WBD sources that we spoke to had indicated that WBD had interest in adding AEW PPVs to the MAX slate for quite some time, and noted that the two sides have been in talks for quite some time about what a deal would look like, with some proposals being made as far back as last year. It was also noted to us that almost every deal that WBD does is with MAX in mind, and that at the time of AEW's last deal with WBD, there wasn't nearly the heavy focus that there is now on the platform.

We're told that if WBD does lose the rights to the NBA, they will be looking at reinvesting funds to maintain their position on cable, as they'll need to look at other properties to help attract viewers. Though we aren't sure if any of that is related to AEW or will affect it in any way.

Both sides were complimentary of one another and the process, based on those we spoke to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I loving typed that poo poo by hand!