Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

kid sinister posted:

Probably because one side is full of crap.

There's enough space to barely cram your foot onto each step except probably the one with a pair of shoes.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We have those style staircases in the warehouse area at work:

And, holy poo poo, do they break people's minds. Anyone who doesn't deal with them daily treats them like some incomprehensible alien device. Some freak out when they approach the stair and you can see them trying to work out which foot to put forward as they get closer, leading to them almost skipping half the time, getting it wrong and then trying to put their foot on the higher stair instead of the first one.

Others refuse to use them outright and go all the way around the warehouse to the office area on the other side, use the regular stairs in there and then go back into the warehouse.

I'm not a fan of them because I have size 15 feet, but I just walk down them backwards.

I can only image how people would deal if we had those mechanical stairs:

https://i.imgur.com/63PsKTy.mp4

I thought that was going to be the video where a guy gets almost all the way up before his brain shuts off (or turns back on?) and he scrambles up the last few steps in a panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's the one I wanted to post, but I couldn't find it.`

edit :holy poo poo I found it. I remembered it had weird Nordic bullshit in the title and literally started typing crap with accented letters and it came up, lol. Youtube/google search can be scary sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn10aErrE7M

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 1, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure even before sitcoms and movies made 'architect' the stock cool job, the field has been dominated with egomaniacal failkids who combine the worst of engineer brain with modern artist and actively loathe the idea of their buildings having people in them for any purpose but to admire them.

The architects I've known have all been alright, like most professional media-type artists I've known such as illustrators. the problem I've encountered is that most of the people designing houses around here aren't architects, they're "designers" who can use the software but have no taste.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can only image how people would deal if we had those mechanical stairs:

https://i.imgur.com/63PsKTy.mp4

Man engines are excellent at maiming miners in mines and minors in funhouses.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Baron von Eevl posted:

The architects I've known have all been alright, like most professional media-type artists I've known such as illustrators. the problem I've encountered is that most of the people designing houses around here aren't architects, they're "designers" who can use the software but have no taste.

Most "architect" folks just crank out functional mashups of existing elements, same as most clothing designers just crank out shirts, dresses, etc with an extra ruffle here or there. Crazy stuff is limited to doodles in a personal practice notebook.

The trouble starts when they get famous enough that people start actually implementing the doodles.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

As I heard one architect put it recently, "we're not designing a magazine-cover building here, but the owner still wants us to do a good job." You might be working on a showpiece art museum that takes three years to design, or you might be working on a 10k sqft office remodel that gets cranked out in a couple of months.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Man engines are excellent at maiming miners in mines and minors in funhouses.
No poo poo! I saw a video detailing one in a mine in England that was 300' tall and failed when fully loaded. Terrifying.

https://youtu.be/uH0W5AK4bwI?si=NaWER0DSC3eH-ag6

Jorath fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 1, 2024

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We have those style staircases in the warehouse area at work:

And, holy poo poo, do they break people's minds. Anyone who doesn't deal with them daily treats them like some incomprehensible alien device. Some freak out when they approach the stair and you can see them trying to work out which foot to put forward as they get closer, leading to them almost skipping half the time, getting it wrong and then trying to put their foot on the higher stair instead of the first one.

I can kind of understand this because I just absolutely cannot start going up a staircase or ladder with my left foot. Something in my brain just stops working and I can't figure out what to do next.

Jows
May 8, 2002

There's an old conveyor belt elevator at the power plant I work at that was designed and built pre-OSHA. I don't know when they stopped using it. I'm surprised they haven't ripped it out yet.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Xerol posted:

I can kind of understand this because I just absolutely cannot start going up a staircase or ladder with my left foot. Something in my brain just stops working and I can't figure out what to do next.

I'm similar. I'm a left, but like 99.999999999999999999999% of the time I start stairs, ladders etc. with my right leg.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Jows posted:

There's an old conveyor belt elevator at the power plant I work at that was designed and built pre-OSHA. I don't know when they stopped using it. I'm surprised they haven't ripped it out yet.

They can’t. It’s a load bearing elevator

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jows posted:

First time I ever saw a belt man lift was when Judge Doom rode one at the Acme factory near the end of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and I didn't realize that was actually it's purpose until a few years ago. I always thought he was just riding a random piece of machinery because I couldn't conceive such a device existing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Xerol posted:

The impression I get from these paternoster/man-lift things is that thinking about it too much is what gets you in trouble.

Like trying to walk if you attempt to command each muscle in your body to do it.

If you try that, you cannot walk. You kinda have to roll with it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grumio posted:

I remember seeing photos online of a wood staircase where the risers all had bookshelves in them (facing you as you climbed). Nothing unsafe but while everyone was gushing about how cute it was, all I could think about was how dirty and dusty the books would get.

No dirtier or dustier than in any open bookshelf. Unless you consider the unthinkable.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

First time I ever saw a belt man lift was when Judge Doom rode one at the Acme factory near the end of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and I didn't realize that was actually it's purpose until a few years ago. I always thought he was just riding a random piece of machinery because I couldn't conceive such a device existing.
holy poo poo

i thought it was some looney toon gag

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Does it go over a fence and into the neighbors yard?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PainterofCrap posted:

The impression I get from these paternoster/man-lift things is that thinking about it too much is what gets you in trouble.

Like trying to walk if you attempt to command each muscle in your body to do it.

If you try that, you cannot walk. You kinda have to roll with it.

If you're drunk enough to intuitively handle that thing lurching back and forth you're not making it to the escalator in the first place, seems like kind of a wash

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Former in-laws (my sister's ex) house in Beach Haven, NJ. I took these in 1986.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A lot of you live somewhere with affordable housing and frankly it shows - that kind of stair network to a million rentable units isn't uncommon in expensive, dense city centers unfortunately (at least here). The stairs I've seen are usually lovely as hell and follow the rooflines.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The house served as a quasi-hospital for the south end of Long Beach Island for most of the first half of the 20th century. Doctor & family lived on the ground floor; second floor was a bunch of examination / recovery rooms off a center hall. At the far end was a surgery/morgue: a big room with a porcelain table. The rear stairs were for patients.

(I'm in the white shirt, about five years old; 1967)

They bought the house in 1966 for $30K. No one wanted a house that big. It even had a half-depth basement. On sand. On a barrier island.

They converted the third floor to their living space, and had their parents living in the ground floor front half (doctor's residence), plus two apartments; the second floor already had two apartments, probably for nurses or long-term recovery; they rented them to the Coast Guard middies.

It's not clear who built the stairs to the boathouse (or when; they were there when they bought it), which had an apartment in the attic space that they rented to the same guy for 45-years, a writer from Oregon, who would come for six months at a time.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 2, 2024

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://i.imgur.com/7gGzZfo.mp4

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
We're going to need a bigger wreath.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What's the live load of a rose traveling at 5 miles per hour?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Was waiting for someone to dive through it and a Korok to appear

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's what she would have wanted.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Push El Burrito posted:

It's what she would have wanted.

Company?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Saw a Nextdoor post asking for a good plumber to get rid of this

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tunicate posted:

loving yuck

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

No

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Hahaha, holy poo poo.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Tunicate posted:

:eyepop:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Tunicate posted:

This is what happens when you start asking Home Depot employees how to do plumbing

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Looks like the PO who hosed up my house decided to do another one.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
That’s the epitome of “I don’t have the right parts so I’ll just use what’s in the truck”

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Tunicate posted:

Lmao, I just had to fix a version of this. Had a plumber quote me $1000. gently caress that guy.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is that a double basin kitchen sink? What’s with the vertical piece off the 4 way connection where the drains join? Should it have been a T connection, but the above mentioned, I have these parts right here, happened?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Orvin posted:

Is that a double basin kitchen sink? What’s with the vertical piece off the 4 way connection where the drains join? Should it have been a T connection, but the above mentioned, I have these parts right here, happened?

It looks like a washing room sink with a stand pipe for a washing machine. That's my guess, anyway.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Can someone list off the things wrong with that?

I see the flexible tube that seems wrong, and generally looking like jank. But I, very unqualified to do any plumbing, could have done that if forced to... Of course, I would probably go to IKEA and get one of their things instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dunno-Lars posted:

Can someone list off the things wrong with that?

I see the flexible tube that seems wrong, and generally looking like jank. But I, very unqualified to do any plumbing, could have done that if forced to... Of course, I would probably go to IKEA and get one of their things instead.

1. Flex tube thing
2. Not a proper P trap on the right sink
3. Two P traps, there should only be one
4. AAV is too low, you want it as high as possible, and that one looks to be below the sink basin just barely
5. Probably incorrect slope from the left sink to the drain
6. The 4-way cross elbow should be a double sanitary tee
7. Some joints don't appear to be glued

Ultimately those are nitpicks on an entirely wrong installation. It should really look something like this, with one drain emptying into the other, and both sharing a P trap. Since it needs an AAV for venting, and it doesn't look like it's setup to use a slip joint out of the wall, I would turn the elbow that goes up to the 4-way cross into a sanitary tee, and use the bottom of that to join the P trap, and the top go up to the AAV.

I'm just a home owner though, not a plumber, so I may be wrong on some things.