Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

bee posted:

In other birb content: Tux usually prefers to sit on mr bee during the day while we're working, so long as he's in the house with me and hasn't gone outside to our little office cabin in the backyard. Which is fine, as long as Tux is chill and isn't getting the zoomies and flying into things he can sit where he likes.

But on the weekend, mr bee hurt his leg and hasn't been able to wear his prosthetic leg as a result so he's been using crutches to get around the house. Usually he only takes his prosthetic leg off to shower and sleep, so Tux is used to seeing him with a fake leg. But for the last few days, Tux has been preferring to sit on my shoulder, and he really seems to be wary of the crutches. Today I had to hand Tux to mr bee so I could use the bathroom, but Tux went straight down mr bee's arm and onto his thigh and seemed super interested in trying to figure out where mr bee's usual leg was. So I just found it funny that he's noticed all of sudden that something was up and went to investigate :3:

I use a cane, and Sera and Ozzy are very much not fans of it. I'm not surprised crutches are similarly frightening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

RoboRodent posted:

I use a cane, and Sera and Ozzy are very much not fans of it. I'm not surprised crutches are similarly frightening.

long and thin, gotta be a weird snake. don't trust like that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Captain Log posted:

Oh. My. Gawd.

:kimchi:

Are they all going to live with you? Or are some going to trusted Bird People?

If I find myself alone later in life, it would not be a stretch to let Serra breed and just live with an ever expanding flock of the most neurotic cockatiels to ever live.

Awww, that's adorable. :3: Serra will quite literally get scared of new socks, so I'm proud of your adventurous little Borb.

that would be great but i think we just don’t have enough house for seven free-flying parrots lol

i think my spouse found a friend/coworker that has a green cheek conure named hermes who is 24!! and will probably want to get a pair from us.

hermes’ favourite trick is to come up to you, screm “no biting!” and then bite you

this is hermes fan art from one of his kids:

bee posted:

In other birb content: Tux usually prefers to sit on mr bee during the day while we're working, so long as he's in the house with me and hasn't gone outside to our little office cabin in the backyard. Which is fine, as long as Tux is chill and isn't getting the zoomies and flying into things he can sit where he likes.

But on the weekend, mr bee hurt his leg and hasn't been able to wear his prosthetic leg as a result so he's been using crutches to get around the house. Usually he only takes his prosthetic leg off to shower and sleep, so Tux is used to seeing him with a fake leg. But for the last few days, Tux has been preferring to sit on my shoulder, and he really seems to be wary of the crutches. Today I had to hand Tux to mr bee so I could use the bathroom, but Tux went straight down mr bee's arm and onto his thigh and seemed super interested in trying to figure out where mr bee's usual leg was. So I just found it funny that he's noticed all of sudden that something was up and went to investigate :3:

:kimchi:

shercockatiel holmes is on the case

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 2, 2024

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

mediaphage posted:

this is hermes fan art from one of his kids:

This is Art, it would make a great poster!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

bee posted:

I didnt make the association of Mr bee and your name at first so I was confused and picturing Mr bee as some sort of weirdly named parrot with a prosthetic.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Hi bird thread! First, an introduction:

Clockwise, from top left:
Eleni - crazy eyes, chaotic, not very bright, bites anything that gets within range of her beak, owns whatever it is she perches on (even humans.) we had to adopt her because she was beating up the owner's cockatiel, missing a toe (no one knows why, battle scars?) she is very big for a budgie, to such an extent that when we had concerns about her weight, the vet laughed and said "she's just wide." happy to be preened by neon but does not preen him in return (lol.) when she gets upset, she crawls upside down across the ceiling of their cage like a xenomorph and screams. hasn't seemed to learn anything despite teaching.
Neon - dumb as a post, kind-hearted, wants everyone to be friends, announces morning time whenever he wakes up, two notable achievements: he's the only male to have fed dawn, but unfortunately fed her raw egg which she hates; he once got so excited by dawn's singing that he spontaneously ejaculated and had explosive diarrhoea at the same time. this is why we suspect dawn absolutely does not entertain courtship or being fed by males. which, y'know, fair. sometimes i call him "printer bird" after that one infamous goon e/n post. same energy. knows four words (hop on, target, turn, wave) and seems to understand there's something he should be doing with a few others (ball, bowl.)
Flipper - adopted recently. he hadn't been around other birds so when he met the other three, all he'd do is follow them around, get up in their space, and stare at them without saying anything. he has now developed a personality and a voice, but he's basically the budgie equivalent of master shake. as eleni and dawn do not entertain his seductions, he sometimes attempts to seduce neon, which just leaves neon bewildered. basically a weird little jerk who is only held in check by the fact he provokes but can't handle conflict. seems like he's smart but just hates the idea of being told what to do. rips up paper and puts in the water bowl, along with fallen feathers (motivation unclear?? shamanic ritual??) weak legs so when he runs fast he sometimes face plants.
Dawn - very smart, knows approximately twelve tricks/words (ball, bowl, hop on, target, kiss, turn, hole, hoop, seed, wave, squeak, shake), would rather examine esoteric bird mysteries (doors, how do they work?) than hang out with the others. turns into batman when it's sleepy time and the other birds are refusing to settle. resolves beak sparring from eleni with aggressive wing slaps and flying kicks. holds grudges. refuses to go near mirrors because after seeing herself in one, she looked around the mirror -- and saw there was nothing there. vet was startled by the strength of her bones and muscles. once got very upset when there was a red car parked outside where there was always a blue car. might just be a human in bird form.

Anyway, I'm presently engaged in a 'war of nerves' with Dawn.

I'm engaged in a war of nerves with one of our birds.

See, Dawn has a problem. When she decides it is time to molt, she figures it's better to do all of her feathers at once. This puts her body under a lot of stress, which is a problem as she appears to have megabac in her gut that, when her body is busy molting, she can't really fight off and so she starts to lose weight very quickly. But we can counteract that with millet, as that appears to be the only thing that she's able to digest during those times. After about a week of isolation and millet, she's over the worst of it and she starts returning to her normal weight and attitude. We've done this two or three times by now, and it's fine. We used medication the first few times it happened but it made no overall difference to her condition or how quickly she recovered (and the first time she got medicine shot down her throat she looked like she'd just come back from war -- you ever seen a bird stare into the distance, eyes wide?)

Except Dawn is smart. And this time, after a week of millet whenever she wanted it, it appears that she's decided that going back to pellets is unacceptable. I'm pretty sure she doesn't touch them at all. She starts harassing me for seed if I open the cage. I've been giving her a little bit of seed in the morning to ensure she's eating something, but I think she sees that as winning and, so, she'll just wait for a little bit of seed. I think she'd cut off her beak to spite her face, and I can respect that. I've tried mixing seeds in with pellets (or chop mix) and she just picks the seeds out. If the other birds are eating pellets, she doesn't join them, and she won't eat them out of my hand (picks them up, drops them, complains.) I'm pretty sure Dawn knows that I won't let her starve herself, which means we're basically playing chicken, and I think she's winning.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

your birds are wonderful and i love them all already.

what sort of pellets do you use out of curiosity?

anyhoo i doubt i will be able to be of much help but
you may also want to try introducing some other options if you haven’t already to see if something will click. cooked rice or similar, maybe with frozen corn and peas mixed in. or sprouting some of your own seeds until they get noticeable growth (then it’s both seed and vegetable!)

if nothing else works you may wish to consider picking up some thrive: https://morningbirdproducts.com/products/morning-bird-thrive-sick-bird-formula and using it as a supplement. dust the millet she gets with it, etc.

i will also give our birds occasional cooked egg, and when they’re sick i’ve made a bit of a mix out of it with the thrive.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I want to know everything about this adorable cadre of budgies. Everything, I say.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I love how all the budgies are defective in unique and hilarious ways

I keep trying to decide my favorite but keep changing. At this exact second it's printer birb

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

we try and socialize the babies with humans a little bit every day

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Flipper - adopted recently. he hadn't been around other birds so when he met the other three, all he'd do is follow them around, get up in their space, and stare at them without saying anything. he has now developed a personality and a voice, but he's basically the budgie equivalent of master shake. as eleni and dawn do not entertain his seductions, he sometimes attempts to seduce neon, which just leaves neon bewildered. basically a weird little jerk who is only held in check by the fact he provokes but can't handle conflict. seems like he's smart but just hates the idea of being told what to do. rips up paper and puts in the water bowl, along with fallen feathers (motivation unclear?? shamanic ritual??) weak legs so when he runs fast he sometimes face plants.

I was the human equivalent of a benevolent Master Shake from the age of seventeen to twenty-five. Which means I love this bird with all my heart.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

What an absolutely delightful little flock you've got here :3:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

mediaphage posted:

your birds are wonderful and i love them all already.

what sort of pellets do you use out of curiosity?

anyhoo i doubt i will be able to be of much help but
you may also want to try introducing some other options if you haven’t already to see if something will click. cooked rice or similar, maybe with frozen corn and peas mixed in. or sprouting some of your own seeds until they get noticeable growth (then it’s both seed and vegetable!)

if nothing else works you may wish to consider picking up some thrive: https://morningbirdproducts.com/products/morning-bird-thrive-sick-bird-formula and using it as a supplement. dust the millet she gets with it, etc.

i will also give our birds occasional cooked egg, and when they’re sick i’ve made a bit of a mix out of it with the thrive.

We use Harrisons Fine pellets. Dawn doesn't seem to enjoy cooked rice, but I don't think we've tried corn. I don't think there's anything she dislikes more than cooked egg though, which made it tragically hilarious that it's been the one thing Neon has managed to feed her. She was disgusted. I'll definitely look into Thrive, but I saw Dawn eat some pellets last night so I think her resolve is cracking. I'm weighing her each day to make sure her weight is staying where it should be.

Captain Log posted:

I want to know everything about this adorable cadre of budgies. Everything, I say.

My wife actually posts some of their antics on Instagram! I'm a fan of these two because they really show of Dawn's personality.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Highly enriched, weapons-grade adorable I say.

I also love your budgies and their personalities so much.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 3, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

redgubbinz posted:

Highly enriched, weapons-grade adorable I say.

hard to capture with a bird in the hand but he was flappin his raggedy lil’ wings as fast as he could (did it again in the box and was hitting all the siblings which was p lol)

don't think there's anything she dislikes more than cooked egg though, which made it tragically hilarious that it's been the one thing Neon has managed to feed her. She was disgusted.

lolling

she may not go for corn, as you know birds are all different flavours of weird. my two go absolute ham for it tho. i keep corn and peas in the freezer for emergency bird veg; it’s easy to thaw a handful in a bowl of hot water.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mediaphage posted:

:qq: my God they're so cute

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

mediaphage posted:

since y'all wanted some sounds:

https://streamable.com/f0qtrr

So so adorable!!!!!

Sorry if someone asked this already but will they all be green? Is the blue recessive?

I love them :3:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

HungryMedusa posted:

So so adorable!!!!!

Sorry if someone asked this already but will they all be green? Is the blue recessive?

I love them :3:

yup. green is the wild type. the dad is homozygous dominant for green, the mom is homozygous recessive for blue (actually a lack of yellow pigment i think), so the babies are presumably all heterozygotic

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Cool, that makes sense!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

HungryMedusa posted:

Cool, that makes sense!

Love your avatar, just watched that episode again yesterday. That show has no business being so funny.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I started reading your post, then immediately scrolled back to the picture to see if I could predict their personalities from the image, and lol, yeah they do mostly look like their characters.
Top left looks v. intense, v. angry, top right looks so sweet and goofy, bottom right has a frozen thousand yard stare and bottom left looks so inquiring and interested.
(Apologies for no names, I'm phone posting so scrolling up to confirm names is not easy)

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Love your avatar, just watched that episode again yesterday. That show has no business being so funny.

It is hilarious and I definitely sometimes could be talked into trading out my family for a bunch of frogs and some Cheez Apps lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I feel like the Discord exodus keeps this thread slow. But because Discord breaks my computer and I never log in, I couldn't tell you.

But it makes me so happy when this thread gets to popping.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I feel like the Discord exodus keeps this thread slow. But because Discord breaks my computer and I never log in, I couldn't tell you.

But it makes me so happy when this thread gets to popping.

Yeah. I might be in the discord, but I'm shy and never post.

Here's a story: after much work, I have taught my birds "what do you want" and "show me." For Ozzy in particular, this has been life-changing. He's always had a lot of anxiety about food, including an apparent worry that I'm going to purposely keep the good stuff away from him.

Now he understands that he can just ask me for more millet or fresh water, and I will give it to him, and he's experimenting with bossing me a bit, and while he is very clever he is also very stupid and occasionally I am being asked for things that they have, and I have to demonstrate to them that they already have what they want.

I ran out of millet the other night. I spent a significant amount of time making a big show of looking for the millet and not finding any, and then offering a different treat. I'm not sure he totally got it, but he did eventually take the replacement. I got millet in the morning and brought it in, and Ozzy looked at me very seriously and then went to go stand by where I put it, very polite and unconcerned about whether or not he was going to get it. I have never seen him so calm about a treat.

This has been accompanied by him suddenly being extremely affectionate with me. I'm still not allowed to touch him, and he will always choose to follow verbal commands instead of stepping up, but he's suddenly decided that he likes to sit on me when I'm lying down, and will take a treat from my fingers. I used to count "affectionate" from him as "sitting a reasonable distance away from me and snoozing."

He might backslide, he's still very hormonal, he and Sera are devoted to plastic eggs again, but dang, i never thought we'd get here. I figured he'd be standoffish forever.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't sure to post here or somewhere in Great Outdoors, but figured bird people would know better either way. My mom has fairly covered the back yard with feeders and likes to look at robins and cardinals when they come by to eat. I'm looking into getting a bird feeder with a camera for Mother's Day, something like this. Has anyone used one before, any recommendations or general tips/tricks for getting quality Bird Shots?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Bird Crazies: while he is very clever he is also very stupid

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

bee posted:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

borb of judgment

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mediaphage posted:

borb of judgment

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

just complete disgust with everything around her

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

bee posted:

oh

well

if you want!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Wasn't sure to post here or somewhere in Great Outdoors, but figured bird people would know better either way. My mom has fairly covered the back yard with feeders and likes to look at robins and cardinals when they come by to eat. I'm looking into getting a bird feeder with a camera for Mother's Day, something like this. Has anyone used one before, any recommendations or general tips/tricks for getting quality Bird Shots?

Also, hm, wasn't there a bird watching thread somewhere at some point? I don't think it was in PI.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

RoboRodent posted:

Also, hm, wasn't there a bird watching thread somewhere at some point? I don't think it was in PI.

I found the bird photo thread linked in the OP, it seems to be the most active and applicable to what I'm asking about.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Well c'mon, we're not immune to the clever/stupid duality in this household, that's for sure

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my bird friends aren't stupid but they are scaredy-birds

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mediaphage posted:

just complete disgust with everything around her

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

a cubical bird

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that gimlet eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Birds being smart enough to get themselves into trouble but not smart enough to get themselves out is their best feature.

Managed to resolve Dawn's hunger strike by letting her run her own investigation concerning the lack of seed. She basically ran through all the places she's found seed in the past. She checked out the small cage, then under the big cage, then the little table, then the big table, then she saw the seeds in the seed jar, poked the outside of the jar with her beak, complained, went back and checked out the small cage again, then returned to the big cage and started eating pellets (begrudgingly, I'm pretty sure.) It took maybe thirty minutes.

Another thing Dawn does is, when she's upset, come to think of it, is that she starts throwing grit out of the grit bowl. I'm not sure why she does this. Either because she knows it's worthless and 'safe' to throw, or because she thinks it's valuable and she's being defiant. But it's only when she's really annoyed about something. My wife is like, well, there's the difference between a $25 budgie (Neon) and a $250 budgie (Dawn.)