Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

In germany the weird drink was 50/50 beer and coke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I can beat all of that, in Vancouver I had a red eye beer cocktail: clamato juice and beer.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

CheeseThief posted:

I can beat all of that, in Vancouver I had a red eye beer cocktail: clamato juice and beer.
That's just 98 percent of the way to a chelada, and only slightly less delicious.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Have I told you about the Rambo already? If not then it's something that the Germans mixed up, presumably to gently caress with dumbass tourists, by cracking a raw egg into a Guinness and adding tabasco and Jägermeister to taste and god knows what else I stopped paying attention for a second which in retrospect may have been a mistake because next thing I know I have a German hangover.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
you can cure any hangover with a caesar

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Hirayuki posted:

That's just 98 percent of the way to a chelada, and only slightly less delicious.

We used to call them chevelas, but yeah, much preferred for a hot day low percentage beer.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
At least all of those weird drinks are composed of ingredients fit for human consumption.

I've seen desperate alcoholics drinking the liquid out of cans of Lysol disinfection spray as it's about 50% ethanol.

The trick was turning the cans upside down and spraying out all of the propellant first, then piercing the bottom with a nail and pouring the liquid into a bucket to be mixed with water or juice if it was a special occasion.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bald Stalin posted:

I finally read the Wikipedia article on what happened in Congo and it is truly, truly heinous. Europeans literally created a market for severed human hands because they wanted more rubber/chocolate?? Slaves sold openly for eating, including white men eating children, humans with their ankles broken tied to stakes immersed in the river up to their necks for 4 days to make them "plump" before slaughter...

What the gently caress!? :stonk:

I don't remember Conrad saying anything about THAT in Heart of Darkness.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

What the gently caress!? :stonk:

I don't remember Conrad saying anything about THAT in Heart of Darkness.

It's a light hearted farce through the tropics

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

CheeseThief posted:

That sounds disgusting, but your av indicates you have excellent taste, so I'm conflicted :thunk:

Vakal posted:

I've seen desperate alcoholics drinking the liquid out of cans of Lysol disinfection spray as it's about 50% ethanol.

The trick was turning the cans upside down and spraying out all of the propellant first, then piercing the bottom with a nail and pouring the liquid into a bucket to be mixed with water or juice if it was a special occasion.

This is just prison toilet wine.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

CheeseThief posted:

Has nobody here ever had a Michelada?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Bigchops posted:

Has nobody here ever had a Michelada?

I've given several different Clamato based drinks a try and I can honestly say I don't care for them. I get that they have a following though, I'd take a Caesar over that vomit wine any day though.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Rec Mocho Cooler

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BigHead posted:

Dutch in Dutch chocolate is a process, not a country, as in the chocolate that is dutched at the factory is a significantly different product than non-dutched chocolate. Natural cocoa is lighter in color and more chocolaty in flavor. Dutched cocoa is darker, sometimes much darker like in an Oreo, and less chocolatey in flavor.

Iirc dutching takes some fat out of the chocolate, so you are generally left with crispier chocolate products when the recipe uses dutched chocolate, like crispy cookies. Natural has more cocoa fat and thus produces squishier products, like brownies or gooey lava cakes. I know there is a difference in crispiness but I might have them reversed.

Edit: here watch this to learn about dutched vs non-dutched chocolate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-59aMuG92Q

That wine looks vile.

Assuming you're right, it sounds like the chocolate is just a light bittering agent that maybe adds a note or two of fruitiness?

If that's the case, then that wine might be more drinkable than we think, at least in small amounts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I. M. Gei posted:

Alcohol is not good calories. Your body can't use them for anything

Bullshit.

I can use them to get drunk

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I saw this ad when I was browsing Instagram and I have no idea what the purpose is of the service they're offering but it sounds cursed as gently caress

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Butterfly Valley posted:

I saw this ad when I was browsing Instagram and I have no idea what the purpose is of the service they're offering but it sounds cursed as gently caress

Man I really hope that umbilical cord blood is just meant for use in dark magic rituals and not anything really sus.

Edit:
I actually looked it up to figure out what sort of scam it was -so great now I have that on my search history- and apparently umbilical cord blood has stem cells in it that can be medically useful for the treatment of certain illness. The recommendation from a few legitmate medical places I could find is probably not to store it, as the chances of it being need are super low and it's very expensive. An option is just to donate it if there is a place near you that accepts, because, as said, it can be medically useful, and also used in medical research. So it's not actually as sus as it first sounds! Although I still wouldn't trust this random company running this sort of lottery thing. That's still weird and tacky.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 2, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Stem cell...... bank? ...

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

ultrafilter posted:

Alcohol is preferentially metabolized meaning that other sources of nutrition get stored as fat.

I gained a bunch of weight when I stopped drinking, explain that smart guy

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I gained a bunch of weight when I stopped drinking, explain that smart guy

Once the alcohol induced diarrhea stops, you are better able to retain food.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CheeseThief posted:

got you fam

Karate Bastard posted:

Have I told you about the Rambo already? If not then it's something that the Germans mixed up, presumably to gently caress with dumbass tourists, by cracking a raw egg into a Guinness and adding tabasco and Jägermeister to taste and god knows what else I stopped paying attention for a second which in retrospect may have been a mistake because next thing I know I have a German hangover.

you lost me at Jagermeister. Germany's joke on the rest of the world

And yes, cord blood storage for matched stem cells is definitely A Thing, my neighbors did it

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 2, 2024

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Maybe I'm the curse - I love that poo poo.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I once went into a liquor store and they had smoked salmon flavored vodka featured Prominently in the front. Went back and it was all on a dusty corner shelf. I tried to get the employee to haggle on the price but he said no.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Applesnots posted:

I once went into a liquor store and they had smoked salmon flavored vodka featured Prominently in the front. Went back five years later and it was all on a dusty corner shelf. I tried to get the employee to haggle on the price but he said no.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Quote is not edit

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Applesnots posted:

Quote is not edit

Keep going, you can break my five post record

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Applesnots posted:

I once went into a liquor store and they had smoked salmon flavored vodka featured Prominently in the front. Went back and it was all on a dusty corner shelf. I tried to get the employee to haggle on the price but he said no.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Edit:
I actually looked it up to figure out what sort of scam it was -so great now I have that on my search history- and apparently umbilical cord blood has stem cells in it that can be medically useful for the treatment of certain illness. The recommendation from a few legitmate medical places I could find is probably not to store it, as the chances of it being need are super low and it's very expensive. An option is just to donate it if there is a place near you that accepts, because, as said, it can be medically useful, and also used in medical research. So it's not actually as sus as it first sounds! Although I still wouldn't trust this random company running this sort of lottery thing. That's still weird and tacky.

The curse is that income inequality is so bad that there are people rich enough that they will buy speculative healthcare services while there are people who can't get basic attention because of a lack of ability to pay.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Hirayuki posted:

Kalimotxo, and it's my favorite outside-in-summer drink (that or a Modelo chelada). You can buy 2-liters of it in Barcelona. Make sure you add ice!

A former roommate got.us onto it. It sounds absolutely repulsive at first but the flavor combo works.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

I. M. Gei posted:

Stem cell...... bank? ...

just a medical lab with a bunch of freezers that stores and sells stem cells to hospitals and research labs

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I found kalimotxo to be disgusting. I didn't even finish my drink when I had it.

I've also had the chocowine and didn't think it was bad. I'd never buy it in a million years and I think I'd puke from the cloying sweetness before I could get drunk off it, but it wasn't gross or anything.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

PainterofCrap posted:

you lost me at Jagermeister. Germany's joke on the rest of the world

It might just be the case you lack the taste receptor for anise and similar plants. If jagermeister, absinthe, and licorice all taste like poo poo, that’s probably what’s going on. I’ve got the same thing and it kind of sucks. I thought licorice was an acquired taste for the longest time but it turns out it’s just genetic

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

rich people hoarding all the umbilical cords, locking everyone else out of the true ending :mad:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That's part of it but it's mostly the gag of making herb liquors - anything with "Krauter" in it suuuuuuuuuucks.

I know it gets cold & dark during those long winters in the Schwartzwald, but beer wasn't good enough? You started drinking the medicine?

I ain't special. I drink weird Swiss cherry brandy steeped in a bottle with a whole pear in it

(my father bought this bottle in 1970)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 2, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Aren't embryonic stem cells potentially useful for more stuff than whatever kind of stem cells most hospitals use now? Or are they the exact same poo poo but harder to get because abortions?

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
I like licorice, anise, fennel and Sambuca. Jäegermeister still tastes like poo poo to me.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

PainterofCrap posted:

That's part of it but it's mostly the gag of making herb liquors - anything with "Krauter" in it suuuuuuuuuucks.

I know it gets cold & dark during those long winters in the Schwartzwald, but beer wasn't good enough? You started drinking the medicine?

I ain't special. I drink weird Swiss cherry brandy steeped in a bottle with a whole pear in it

LOL, fucka weird bottle, that saltines tin in the back unlocked some childhood memories.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

kalimotxo is the best, imo the trick is to use a nice spicy red wine like carmenere and a cola with sweetener so you're not triple-dipping on sugars.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm from Germany and spent a lot of my youth drinking. I don't get Jägermeister either. It's one of the most disgusting drinks out there.

There was one time I got sick from drinking too many Redbull Jägers :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Phthisis posted:

I found kalimotxo to be disgusting. I didn't even finish my drink when I had it.

I've also had the chocowine and didn't think it was bad. I'd never buy it in a million years and I think I'd puke from the cloying sweetness before I could get drunk off it, but it wasn't gross or anything.

But nowhere near as good as the coca pisco that was available everywhere in Peru. I've considered trying to order coca leaves to make it myself at home but it feels like that may be a mistake.