Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Glad I’m not a morally-sound Boeing employee right now:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/whistleblower-josh-dean-of-boeing-supplier-spirit-aerosystems-has-died/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Dude should've declined the polonium tea.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Last year we got a school lockdown text and social media was talking about a potential school shooter and I felt like I was about to have a mental breakdown. It turns out that someone brought a gun to school but apparently nothing happened and they just locked it down as a precaution but holy poo poo that was miserable.

I can't imagine growing up doing active shooter drills as a goddamn kid in school, what a poo poo show everything is anymore.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Black Sunshine posted:

Last year we got a school lockdown text and social media was talking about a potential school shooter and I felt like I was about to have a mental breakdown. It turns out that someone brought a gun to school but apparently nothing happened and they just locked it down as a precaution but holy poo poo that was miserable.

I can't imagine growing up doing active shooter drills as a goddamn kid in school, what a poo poo show everything is anymore.

I know people like to compare it to duck and cover drills, but those drills were never put into use. Not a single nuke attack happened. So you can't really compare that to the drills for the even that happen in multiple schools in a given year.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Too young for duck and cover, too old for school shooting, just earthquake drills. What age would this super focused age group be? I guess it just overlaps with Xennials.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

Dude should've declined the polonium tea.

That’s the second Boeing whistleblower this year to die mysteriously.

Black Sunshine posted:

Growing up about 40 miles west of Chicago, the only drills I had were tornado drills.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Stop, drop, and roll generation.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Shrimpy posted:

Stop, drop, and roll generation.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

swickles posted:

I know people like to compare it to duck and cover drills, but those drills were never put into use. Not a single nuke attack happened. So you can't really compare that to the drills for the even that happen in multiple schools in a given year.

This doesn’t make me feel any better but I will say that kids are insanely resilient and adaptable. My elementary age kids have had to go through a couple lockdown drills and while *I* feel absolutely devastated by it they’re just like “yeah we did a thing today whatever can I play the Switch now?”

I hate that it’s so normalized but in my extremely limited experience it’s not causing them great trauma. I’m sure others have had different and worse experiences :( :911:

E: fwiw Columbine happened when I was in high school but we didn’t ever have lockdown drills after. Guess it took some more massacres before those became de rigueur

E2: sorry for harshing the vibe of the chat thread

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 2, 2024

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

While I didn’t grow up with shooter drills we did have tornado drills. Nowadays schools are just canceled for severe weather but we’ve done gently caress all to curb school shootings. It’s just an act of god! Nothing can be done!

Meanwhile, my 7yo daughter asks me intermittently why someone would want to kill her at school, so that’s great. Bonus points if she cries! Nice country we’ve got here.

^^im glad your kids have reacted well. We weren’t given any warning so we had no way to mentally prepare our daughter last year. I was loving hot

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

swickles posted:

I had earthquake drills and school lockdowns in the early 2000s! Gang warfare is rough. Our reaction was always "gently caress why does this always happen on the hottest day of the year when the AC is broken" grumble grumble

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Docjowles posted:

This doesn’t make me feel any better but I will say that kids are insanely resilient and adaptable. My elementary age kids have had to go through a couple lockdown drills and while *I* feel absolutely devastated by it they’re just like “yeah we did a thing today whatever can I play the Switch now?”

I hate that it’s so normalized but in my extremely limited experience it’s not causing them great trauma. I’m sure others have had different and worse experiences :( :911:

E: fwiw Columbine happened when I was in high school but we didn’t ever have lockdown drills after. Guess it took some more massacres before those became de rigueur

E2: sorry for harshing the vibe of the chat thread

I forget which event, but there was a rare mass shooting in Europe. Some American kids were backpacking and while the people in a cafe were panicking, they just calmly got up and started barricading the doors and telling people to go hide in the back. They were interviewing people in the cafe and they were just in awe of how they had the foresight to do all that...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
My niece, a week into kindergarten a year ago, mentioned a "lion in the hallway" drill and it just absolutely sunk my soul for a few minutes. Granted, this is the same county that had the Parkland shooting 5~ years earlier.

We had tornado drills at every level of school, which was meh. In middle school, we got treated like prisoners so lockdowns were common. High school had bomb threats like every other month, so it was either everyone got evacuated to the football field for a while, or we hung out in the classrooms. Lockdowns for whatever reasons were also stupid common, but if you were in a class with a cool teacher, it was fine. What's that, we're on lockdown in the journalism class? Sweet, we're playing Halo on the computers and the teacher was gonna play Finding Nemo and Mean Girls and such :hellyeah:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

America.txt

My favorite part was when people were mad as gently caress that the Parkland students had the audacity to speak out against gun violence and petition for somebody to do something about it which was met with "ain't no whiney little fucker gonna try to take my guns away from me, this is Murica!!!"

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 2, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I got to go to DARE camp in 5th grade

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I never had DARE come to any school I was in, probably because changed schools 6 times between kindergarten and high school. Same reason I missed Washington state history until it popped up as a "oops, TT can't graduate high school without it" guidance counselor catch my senior year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm too old for Dare, I'm Just Say No generation.

Also when I was in first grade they ran drills for all of us to line up in the hallway cross-legged with our hands over the back of our necks...in case of a nuke attack.

Like the proper crash position for a nuke is to take your pants off and piss on the teacher's desk before you fry but it's hard to run that drill

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I remember having a cop show up to do DARE presentations every year or two. Watching slide shows of graphic pictures of people with hosed up lungs and breathing tubes and missing tongues and stuff from smoking and dipping.

It did absolutely put me off smoking tobacco. So that was successful. Putting me off other things, uh, not so much.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

DARE was always lame nerds talking about how cool they were so it didn't really prove their point. The DUI day was gnarly though, wrecked cars on campus and photos of gore everywhere.

College blew my mind - my school had a "use responsibly and in moderation" policy :aaaaa:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I had DARE in fifth grade and I remember Officer Detomaso telling us that when we got to middle school people were going to walk up to us on the street and offer us hard drugs.

Still waiting.

kiimo posted:

I'm too old for Dare, I'm Just Say No generation.

Also when I was in first grade they ran drills for all of us to line up in the hallway cross-legged with our hands over the back of our necks...in case of a nuke attack.

Like the proper crash position for a nuke is to take your pants off and piss on the teacher's desk before you fry but it's hard to run that drill

I heard this great interview once from a British archivalist who grew up in that area. He was really upset when he learned that the British government had lied about how much time they had from sirens to impact. They basically doubled the expected time. This upset him because he went to an all boys school and their plan if the sirens had gone off was to run to the girls school down the street and grab whomever was willing. They wouldn’t have had enough time to get to the school with the real warning time.

He gave this lecture once and a girl in the audience had actually been at the girls school at the same time. She told him after the lecture “don’t worry we had the same idea we would have met you halfway.”

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 2, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pain of Mind posted:

Too young for duck and cover, too old for school shooting, just earthquake drills. What age would this super focused age group be? I guess it just overlaps with Xennials.

Colombine happened my freshman year in 1999 and we had lockdown drills every year after. I'm currently 40. So there are people with their own kids that have dealt with lockdown drills the entirety of their schooling.

Re:DARE chat, I genuinely think it's harmful to students because I remember when I actually figured out how much they lied to me about marijuana I sorta figured "maybe heroin isn't as bad as they say either." Never actually did heroin, but I can't be the only person who thought that, so there's likely a non zero number of people who never would have done heroin except for DARE lying to them.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 2, 2024

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Air Skwirl posted:

Colombine happened my freshman year in 1999 and we had lockdown drills every year after. I'm currently 40. So there are people with their own kids that have dealt with lockdown drills the entirety of their schooling.

Weird I was a soph and we never had shooter drills after. Then again, SC is last in just about everything.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

DARE never did poo poo for me but I had a classmate in highschool who drove drunk, crashed his car and died. They displayed his wrecked car on the front lawn of the school for the rest of the year which definitely had an impact on me. I've never gotten behind the wheel drunk so mission accomplished I suppose.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

Re:DARE chat, I genuinely think it's harmful to students because I remember when I actually figured out how much they lied to me about marijuana I sorta figured "maybe heroin isn't as bad as they say either." Never actually did heroin, but I can't be the only person who thought that, so there's likely a non zero number of people who never would have done heroin except for DARE lying to them.

Yeah, same. Most of my friends smoked weed throughout high school, and we never gave a poo poo. The sad thing is that I'm sensitive to smells, so candles, weed, etc., all triggers headaches within a short amount of time.

One kid in my HS class did crystal meth too much and that really hosed him up though.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

swickles posted:

She's not wrong.

Oh, she was absolutely correct lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

so i am also watching john adams for the first time and yes the dutch angles are really weird

also the lighting. like it lurches back and forth between meticulously crafted natural lighting (boston massacre moon on snow) and just 90s sitcom style flat indoor lighting.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

We’re going to Scotland this summer to celebrate my SO’s mom’s retirement and holy HELL do I get why travel agents get paid to do what they do now

3 hours+ of staring at screens to get poo poo done and that was just the flights!

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
The town I grew up in recently built a new highschool (actually a town over from where today's events were), and it has safe rooms between neighboring classrooms specifically for school shooting lockdowns. Like, it has to be designed in now :/

Rectal Placenta fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 2, 2024

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

I had DARE in fifth grade and I remember Officer Detomaso telling us that when we got to middle school people were going to walk up to us on the street and offer us hard drugs.

Still waiting.

You joke, but I did have an actual factual crack dealer randomly chat me and a group of my friends up one summer evening in late high school. He never made a sales pitch but we all saw that he was carrying, I always wonder if he was actually going to try and sell or if he was just bored and killing time. Pleasant guy, all things considered.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh my god

https://x.com/garypetersonusa/status/1785798265100791962?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Nice to see Paul Bearer is still getting work.

(Checks internet)

Oh he died in 2013.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

Nice to see Paul Bearer is still getting work.

(Checks internet)

Oh he died in 2013.

he probably looks better right now than Mike Lindell

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

this is apparently a photoshop but im laughing my rear end off

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FizFashizzle posted:

this is apparently a photoshop but im laughing my rear end off

boooooo

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Gary Peterson is a fantastic parody account

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

My sister got asked when she was in the us if she was looking for Charlie and she said "oh I don't a Charlie thank you though" and the dude laughed and said "sweetheart you just have a wonderful night"

And I still chuckle thinking about that and will Ferrell's "thinking about being a crack dealer. Not like a mean one though"

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BlindSite posted:

My sister got asked when she was in the us if she was looking for Charlie and she said "oh I don't a Charlie thank you though" and the dude laughed and said "sweetheart you just have a wonderful night"

And I still chuckle thinking about that and will Ferrell's "thinking about being a crack dealer. Not like a mean one though"

I remember walking through Kings Cross in Sydney on my way to a nightclub and being asked by a sex worker if I wanted a blowjob, and between her catching me so off guard and having just gotten done with a long shift waiting tables I defaulted to a very polite and vacant “oh, no thank you, have a good night though”, I still wonder if she was weirded out by the response

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Gary Peterson is a fantastic parody account

Oh god drat it I didn’t look at the account name lol. I was too busy wondering how this could possibly be real. Peterson fuckin gottem again, god tier troll

Black Sunshine posted:

DARE never did poo poo for me but I had a classmate in highschool who drove drunk, crashed his car and died. They displayed his wrecked car on the front lawn of the school for the rest of the year which definitely had an impact on me. I've never gotten behind the wheel drunk so mission accomplished I suppose.

When I was in 10th grade my classmate’s older brother drove drunk, smashed into a phone pole and died literally the night he graduated high school. That made a similar impression on me.

I’m trying to think back now and the school may have actually done the same presenting the wrecked car. I had repressed that part cause it was hosed up and sad but the family wanted something positive to come out of it. I think they kept it in their front yard along with some anti drunk driving signs for a long time :smith:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
The kitty colds haven't quite cleared up and fluffy lynx point boy is feeling especially cruddy. I'm taking him and Luna, the tuxie, to the vet on Friday to get checked out. I feel a little silly but I'd rather be safe and get them treated. In the mean time I'm going to lure the fluffy one to the bathroom and take a really hot shower since steam also is good for cats in these kind situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I feel like a huge part of my childhood has been torn apart.

https://x.com/Art0Donnell/status/1785071053623922862