Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

i havent read up on my space history science in a bit, but doesnt NASA have special space tires for their mars rovers? also pre Apollo, scientist were even sure what the Moon's surface was like, and thought it could have been a giant dry quicksand "ocean" of dust.

Disturbing fact about the lunar surface: Since there has never been any erosion - no wind, no water, etc - to erode things, dust on the Moon at the molecular level is like razor sharp. It's all just razor sharp dust grains.

This razor sharp dust will pose a big problem not only to people and their lungs, but all manner of hardware. You get some razor dust in your gears and....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

PhazonLink posted:

i havent read up on my space history science in a bit, but doesnt NASA have special space tires for their mars rovers? also pre Apollo, scientist were even sure what the Moon's surface was like, and thought it could have been a giant dry quicksand "ocean" of dust.

I think the wheels on the moon rover were a hollow wire frame. Normal air filled tires would probably explode in the vacuum.

NASA sent a bunch of probes to land on the moon before Apollo so they were pretty confident it wasn’t made of quicksand. Before those probes it was definitely considered a possibility though.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

WhyteRyce posted:

lol what won’t Elon cut

A dashing figure

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Legit surprised about this, as exploiting free intern labour with incredibly long hours on lovely learn nothing tasks seems 100% up musks alley.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

is the hardcore litigation team at Tesla going to be ok???

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I think you mean the gigalegal team

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ben shapino posted:

is the hardcore litigation team at Tesla going to be ok???

They were hardcore let go. Literally all dropped off a rope hanging between two mountains cliffhanger style.

It's what they would've wanted. :(

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

lol what won’t Elon cut

checks, to his ever expanding list of creditors

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

redshirt posted:

Disturbing fact about the lunar surface: Since there has never been any erosion - no wind, no water, etc - to erode things, dust on the Moon at the molecular level is like razor sharp. It's all just razor sharp dust grains.

This razor sharp dust will pose a big problem not only to people and their lungs, but all manner of hardware. You get some razor dust in your gears and....

Not only is it razor sharp, it all carries an excess negative static electrical charge which means it's attracted to and sticks to everything no matter how careful you are to try to avoid it. Lunar dust can even levitate because it can build up enough negative charge that the electrical repulsion is enough to overcome the force of gravity.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's why we're going to Mars instead, you morons

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

I think the wheels on the moon rover were a hollow wire frame. Normal air filled tires would probably explode in the vacuum.

NASA sent a bunch of probes to land on the moon before Apollo so they were pretty confident it wasn’t made of quicksand. Before those probes it was definitely considered a possibility though.

Coincidentally I just watched a video about space tires last week. The ones for the Moon were a wire mesh over a metal frame so that they held their shape. The video goes into some designs for what they're testing for Mars as the current wheels on the rovers are machined aluminum but aren't durable enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSNtifE0Z2Q

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

dr_rat posted:

Legit surprised about this, as exploiting free intern labour with incredibly long hours on lovely learn nothing tasks seems 100% up musks alley.

You still have to pay insurance for an intern, and the pay salaries for people to organize 3000 dorks a year

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

ddiddles posted:

You still have to pay insurance for an intern

In what state?

In Texas? I find that difficult to believe

Deflategate Retrospective
Jul 22, 2002
Shut it down Elon

SHUT

IT

DOWN

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
guys elon is going to make tesla only make cybertrucks that use BIG MASSIVE CUMMINS DIESEL engine with coal roalling button in dashboard and remotely brick all teslas

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Rubber Chicken posted:

In what state?

In Texas? I find that difficult to believe

Texas only claims to be free it's run by private insurance and utility companies

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

dr_rat posted:

majority of interns/coop in engineering are pretty useless, the idea being to discover ones that are smart and can hire fulltime when they graduate. It's really a fantastic recruiting tool, and if elon just wants to cut staff it makes sense he doesn't give a poo poo about recruiting either because he's a short sighted dumbass.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

DARPA posted:

can it get wet? that might be a game changer.

Not while looking at Elon

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I've never heard of an unpaid STEM internship but I'm sure there are some Elon stans that would do it

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

feelix posted:

I've never heard of an unpaid STEM internship but I'm sure there are some Elon stans that would do it

Wasn’t that what happened with that one weird boy wonder hacker who Elon recruited back around when he first bought Twitter?

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Wasn’t that what happened with that one weird boy wonder hacker who Elon recruited back around when he first bought Twitter?

Yes, he was going to fix search or something, and tweeted asking if anyone else wanted to come and join him "fix search for free" or something.

Also, he is a direct competitor of Musks, since he also founded another terrible self driving system (one that is at least open source, so you can inspect the awfulness for yourself).

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Some college undergrads just dodged a bullet.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
How do the mass firings affect current owners? Charger rollouts will be scaled back I assume, will it affect updates to the car? Do teslas receive software updates for things other than the self driving system?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Busters posted:

Like steal one of Captain Planet's villains. WB owns the IP. What's "Looten Plunder" doing these days? He was kind of a Trump allegory to begin with.

Running WB.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
So what kind of financial crimes are in play? This move was at least thought of before the investor call, and it sure as hell wasn't disclosed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

So what kind of financial crimes are in play? This move was at least thought of before the investor call, and it sure as hell wasn't disclosed

None of these are financial crimes until hes poor

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Barudak posted:

None of these are financial crimes until hes poor

If someone rich loses money it can also qualify as a financial crime

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

If someone rich loses money it can also qualify as a financial crime

It has to be someone or a collective with more money than him. I think that's why it's taking so long

edit: The other automakers have got to be so ripshit after boasting Supercharger access on their 2024 EV marketing material just to have it go through the PR ringer.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 2, 2024

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Zero VGS posted:

edit: The other automakers have got to be so ripshit after boasting Supercharger access on their 2024 EV marketing material just to have it go through the PR ringer.

That guy who called the cops on a non-bazinga using a supercharger probably tweeted Musk right after.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

Bold of you to assume he didn’t emerge from a ket coma at 3am and immediately start texting people with the new plan.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
They probably pay their interns a decent amount and the point of interns isn't to get good work done but to scout new hires. Most interns do terrible work and internship programs a great way to identify them.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ilmucche posted:

How do the mass firings affect current owners? Charger rollouts will be scaled back I assume, will it affect updates to the car? Do teslas receive software updates for things other than the self driving system?

How could you forget the time they updated the software to let owners change the car horn to a fart noise

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It makes the fart noises quieter so that they won’t wake Joe’s daughter.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I like how one of Tesla's explanations is that Joe was a random internet person making the suggestion, and another where Musk says it was his personal friend. Has about the same veracity as Joe the Plumber.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You'll void your warranty if you drink coffee in the truck without Joe mode enabled

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It was stopped to be J/O Mode but the intern typed it in wrong.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

joe mode a big mistake by getting a cybertruck

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

It was stopped to be J/O Mode but the intern typed it in wrong.

So the truck runs on crystals?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

It has to be someone or a collective with more money than him. I think that's why it's taking so long

There’s probably a bunch of hooks in the contract they signed with Tesla so they don’t get burnt too bad by something like this happening. But if they don’t it’s going to be really hard for Tesla to get any other deals done with them in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

There’s probably a bunch of hooks in the contract they signed with Tesla so they don’t get burnt too bad by something like this happening. But if they don’t it’s going to be really hard for Tesla to get any other deals done with them in the future.

And if we know anything about Musk, it's that he honors all contracts to the letter.