Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh my god once you know this is complete bullshit you can't unsee it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

in "Cuisine, Colonialism and Cold War: Food in Twentieth-Century Korea" there is a chapter about how japanese occupation completely changing how soy sauce was produced and sold in korea. are there any other examples of this? i know that a lot of places in south east asia got introduced to american mass meats during/after ww2

heres a video of the traditional process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAiG1kATPeo

can you ask a more specific question because the two things you just mentioned cover an absurdly broad gamut of topics in regard to food production and distribution

im a little surprised you know that southeast asia got introduced to american mass meats but not south korea i was always under the impression that south korea was the most dramatic case of this because spam was effectively the only meat available in the country for so long it became a distinct delicacy thats the presumed key ingredient for military stew (budae jjigae) which is a major dish in the korean food canon at this point even if they obviously dont have it in north korea

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Some Guy TT posted:

im a little surprised you know that southeast asia got introduced to american mass meats but not south korea i was always under the impression that south korea was the most dramatic case of this because spam was effectively the only meat available in the country for so long it became a distinct delicacy thats the presumed key ingredient for military stew (budae jjigae) which is a major dish in the korean food canon at this point even if they obviously dont have it in north korea

i think the story baout budae jjigae isnt a story about spam, its a story about how people in south korea had to buy food from american military bases because there was nothing else around which is why that dish contains a mishmash of things: miniature hot dogs, american cheese, spam, and whatever korean stuff people had on hand: noodles, tofu, rice cakes, rice

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hm. you know i imagine ive seen budae jjigae with all of those ingredients at some point or another but the only one thats always been in it every single time has been spam. i think the sort of mishash whatever random old thing we have on hand kind of food culture in south korea youre describing is better expressed with side dishes or banchan where the traditional form of that differs substantially from the modern version in terms of pairing

you should uh ask me in a week or two to explain what i mean by that because im not done translating the korean food comic that explains what those differences actually are yet

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Apr 30, 2024

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
throwing random poo poo in a pot and making a stew is one of the common threads that binds all cultures together and i respect that

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Some Guy TT posted:

hm. you know i imagine ive seen budae jjigae with all of those ingredients at some point or another but the only one thats always been in it every single time has been spam. i think the sort of mishash whatever random old thing we have on hand kind of food culture in south korea youre describing is better expressed with side dishes or banchan where the traditional form of that differs substantially from the modern version in terms of pairing

you should uh ask me in a week or two to explain what i mean by that because im not done translating the korean food comic that explains what those differences actually are yet

what

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im translating a twenty year old newspaper comic about south korean food culture in bss

basically all of it is just topics like the one you were asking about but you can perhaps see why im reluctant to go into any of that in significant detail when premises like "korean rice paddy ecology in the context of south korea joining the world trade organization" isnt really the same thing as say discussing soy sauce production methods during the japanese occupation

fwiw the comic makes it fairly clear that at the time the comic was getting started artificial food sweeteners were a relatively recent import that were only just then being integrated into korean recipes which is much closer to your original question but in the context of the comics publication this was a thing that was still ongoing so there isnt much of a larger historical perspective on it yet

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

what

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

you werent gone that long dont tell me you already forgot how i post

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i think the story baout budae jjigae isnt a story about spam, its a story about how people in south korea had to buy food from american military bases because there was nothing else around which is why that dish contains a mishmash of things: miniature hot dogs, american cheese, spam, and whatever korean stuff people had on hand: noodles, tofu, rice cakes, rice

That's what I've heard too which is why the literal translation of budae jjigae is army base stew

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Name a country, and someone can tell you how its food was shaped by foreign contact. Vietnamese subs were invented under French colonization because Vietnamese people rarely ate bread before that. Pierogies were introduced to Eastern Europe by the Mongols, who ate a lot of dumplings. Japanese curry was invented to meet the demands of British sailors who assumed that any country that eats rice must serve curry. Chili con carne was invented by the Spanish adding beef to the traditional Mexican chili of tomatoes, peppers, beans, and fish.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

marco polo brought spaghetti to china

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

marco polo brought spaghetti to china

i thought it was the other way around

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've always liked the story that Scotch eggs were invented by the Mughals

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

i thought it was the other way around

yes I was being facetious. he should have brought back hot and sour soup and cream cheese wontons imo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Arkansas does in fact claim to be the birthplace of queso

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

StashAugustine posted:

I've always liked the story that Scotch eggs were invented by the Mughals

technically it was invented by the hindus in 200 bc and stolen by the muslims

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
to spin it back to asian influences, a buddy of mine had the bright idea to use chinese spiced pork as the sausage wrapping(and some other stuff, i think shaoxing wine was part of this experiment as well) and it came out rather brilliantly

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

technically it was invented by the hindus in 200 bc and stolen by the muslims

also eggs are tamasic and bad.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Greeks stole dolma from Turks who conquered it from the Japanese original, sushi

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tankbuster posted:

also eggs are tamasic and bad.

please stop teaching indian words to white people

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

namaste

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Huh. "Tama" is "darkness" in Serbian. Didn't know about the paralel in Sanskrit. Neat.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

have some sattva, friend

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i say swears online posted:

have some sattva, friend

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i only do surf lessons on the weekend. my day job is tantric nirvana guru (instructor)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Animeistrash: against a pan-aryan brotherhood

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

does anyone have anything to say about che guevara for about as long as i can remember hes been symbolic of loony leftists not doing their research but like why man

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he's neat

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
excellent revolutionary leader, good diplomat, kinda bad economic administrator

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
He hosed a river dolphin.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Some Guy TT posted:

does anyone have anything to say about che guevara for about as long as i can remember hes been symbolic of loony leftists not doing their research but like why man

well, he was a communist, and some people put him on a t shirt

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

He's a great litmus test because someone who has his face on a T-Shirt is either a teenager who knows nothing but has a feeling that capitalism and/or the USA are bullshit (this is good) or someone who has realized that the people criticizing him are thoroughly libbrained and will always have a reason to dislike a communist who actually does something (this is also good) while the people who will loudly proclaim that it's wrong to have his face on a t-shirt are, as mentioned, thoroughly libbrained (and thus, bad).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peggotty posted:

He's a great litmus test because someone who has his face on a T-Shirt is either a teenager who knows nothing but has a feeling that capitalism and/or the USA are bullshit (this is good) or someone who has realized that the people criticizing him are thoroughly libbrained and will always have a reason to dislike a communist who actually does something (this is also good) while the people who will loudly proclaim that it's wrong to have his face on a t-shirt are, as mentioned, thoroughly libbrained (and thus, bad).
It's wrong because it's idolatry.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Fish of hemp posted:

He hosed a river dolphin.
who among us

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Some Guy TT posted:

The two part movie starring Benicio del Toro is really good imo

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The canards you get about Che are "he's a killer" which, yeah, that happens when you fight in a war and have to prosecute the losing side for crimes they comitted before and during the war. Or "he was racist" which was true when he was a sheltered teen from a bourgeois family (his dad owned a maté plantation and his mom was descended from minor nobility iirc). His racist attitudes come across in some of his diary entries as he traveled the countryside, but, importantly, through repeated close contact with black and brown people in the countryside while working as a doctor, his racist attitudes were upended. After the war Che was crucial in integrating Cuban society.

Just read Jon Lee Anderson's biography, it addresses a lot of this dumb poo poo (and you even learn when and where the famous t-shirt photo was taken).

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 12:19 on May 2, 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Che was a class traitor (laudatory)

He also preached good news to the poor, healed the sick and freed the oppressed.

Pretty sure that's a bible verse or something.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 12:58 on May 2, 2024

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

id like to know more about this field marshal mannerheim fellow ive been led to believe he was beloved by the finnish population at least in 1940 is this true and is it still true do the finns still love field marshal mannerheim

technically unrelated question was he a nazi or was he just a guy with very nuanced context specific political opinions to the forties that we shouldnt judge too harshly like stephan bandera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Some Guy TT posted:

id like to know more about this field marshal mannerheim fellow ive been led to believe he was beloved by the finnish population at least in 1940 is this true and is it still true do the finns still love field marshal mannerheim

technically unrelated question was he a nazi or was he just a guy with very nuanced context specific political opinions to the forties that we shouldnt judge too harshly like stephan bandera

he was more of a franco-style reactionary than an actual fascist. every finn i've met who wasn't specifically ideological likes him on some level, but generally not without hemming and hawing a little bit