Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ah, blatant favoritism for Interceptor. Given that they're ridiculously powerful and the best class in the game, I can't fault you.

I generally agree with your armory upgrading, Wargear is legitimately the best category. You had a slight disadvantage in that the early missions didn't give you much requisition, so you couldn't upgrade all the Marine equipment categories. Nor any 'double-taps', where missions spawned close enough to get 2 of them. Oh well.

On the Stun conversation, I found with the current numbers it's generally impossible to feasibly stun someone unless you're deliberately taking several 1-2 damage long range bolter shots at someone. And only the Plague Marines or stronger can be stunned, until you get any of the no damage stunning abilities. Most cultists shouldn't be surviving two hits, nevermind the 6 or so hits of their stun on Legendary. I don't really get into stunning enemies until I get one of the stun-based melee weapons, and that usually ends up being a pretty big Force-Strike WP drain on the unit in question. However, if you do get into a situation where you can consistently stun targets in a group.... it kind of breaks the system entirely. It also plays into the reason why I'm not fond of assassins, since they don't benefit from the AP boost.

I found that unless I was being careful, I ended up pissing off Vakir a lot. Overall though, that system is one I do love, the fact that ship decisions can increase or decrease the efficiency of your people's work based on their mood. It gives a nice bit of interactivity feeling with this crew of your ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Has it mostly just been pure bad luck with the mission spawns and only being able to hit one or maybe two missions per bloom? Or is this fairly typical and it's assumed you won't be able to reliably hit 2+ missions until you get some upgrades in your warp drive, Prognosticars, etc? Iirc in one of the episodes you mentioned that mission spawns aren't purely random and you can somewhat guess where they're gonna appear.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

ousire posted:

Has it mostly just been pure bad luck with the mission spawns and only being able to hit one or maybe two missions per bloom? Or is this fairly typical and it's assumed you won't be able to reliably hit 2+ missions until you get some upgrades in your warp drive, Prognosticars, etc? Iirc in one of the episodes you mentioned that mission spawns aren't purely random and you can somewhat guess where they're gonna appear.

You're never going to hit 3 missions early on (and as Jade has already mentioned the map will expand later on, so even with a faster drive and prognosticars you're never going to get 100% coverage). At the current state of the LP, being able to reach 2 out of 3 is maybe about a 50% chance if you're in the middle of the map as they spawn.

So missing a bunch of missions is totally normal and the game is balanced for it, and sometimes it's worth it to intentionally forfeit a route that would do more missions to get to a reward you really want (like Jade beelining the Interceptor in the last video).

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
There's also variance in the value of the bonus missions, they can be worth 1-3 based on difficulty (though of course, some missions are way harder than others of the same level).

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Episode 6 - Spirits in the Machines
This time I'm going to be going into a little bit of what our resident techpriest was talking about, and in general one of the core beliefs of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

So what is a machine spirit? In reality, it just refers to all the bits inside of a machine that makes it 'think' and act autonomously from human users. While they shouldn't be able to think and enhance themselves, to seperate them from Abominable Intelligences, in practice this rule is very... loose.

The mechanicus certainly believe in their emotions and independence. The rituals done to consecrate and bless the machines they craft are also done so as to tame the machine spirit within. The pilots of Imperial Titans and Knights have to go through intense taming rituals for their machine soirits, known for their particular strength. They even go so far as to merge with the machine, and by extension the machine spirit within.

These machine spirits can even be corrupted, just like everything else can, by chaos. And when it comes to Xenos tech, theirs is generally considered to not have a machine spirit, and is thus heretical.

On a final note, there are cases of machine spirits showcasing their intelligence. A land raider known as Rynn's Might, a vehicle already known for it's powerful machine spirit, was able to continue waging war on a whole bunch of orks after all the crew were killed. It even managed to kill a warboss before finally being destroyed. The lightning fighter plane known as the Indomitable Spirit was said to have a stubborn and aggressive personality, developed over many years in service under various pilots. When it was captured by the Blood Pact, a chaos cult, it ended up crashing itself into the ground rather than shoot down an imperial aircraft. Rest in peace, Indomitable Spirit.

Solarium fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 30, 2024

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Olesh posted:

They don't make statues of space marines
https://elementgames.co.uk/games-workshop/warhammer-40k/warhammer-40k-scenery/honoured-imperium
?????? Yes, it's technically OOP, but I'm pretty sure at least some of the space marine statues in the game are exact copies of this.

As for their veneration, they're often called the Emperor's Angles or Angles of Death.
See also both the Space Marine game, and the trailer for Space Marine 2, where guardsmen kneel in awe at your presence.
It's easy to forget how stupidly big the Imperium is. There's more settled worlds than there are Space Marines.

Oh and Jade is 100% correct in that Big E prior to his internment on the Golden Throne is virtually always depicted with a flaming sword (that Guilliman now carries) in one hand, and a giant lightning claw on the other.
https://characterprofile.fandom.com/wiki/The_God_Emperor_of_Mankind?file=Warhammer_40000_-_The_God_Emperor_of_Mankind.png

E: Unlike his other wargear, nothing is really known about the claw, or claws, as depictions of it varies between three and five claws.
However, while nothing is stated on the matter, it was probably the inspiration for similar lightning claw carried first by Horus, then Abbadon
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/d/d0/Talon_of_Horus.png/revision/latest?cb=20130821095438

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 1, 2024

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So, on the Warhammer+ video service, there is a short film called “Iron Within”

It’s pretty good, but the impetus for the story is some Xenos threat to a backwater imperial world. The governing council is debating whether to call upon the Emperor’s Angels for help because of a pact they made with one of the legions millennia before. The positions were: The will not hear, They will not come, and They do not exist. So for a normal human Space Marines are just a part of the larger imperial cult but the real nature of them is largely kept hidden. So yeah, statues.

And yes, they call for aid from the Iron Warriors. Because how would they know? “There was a war in heaven and the angels specifically assigned to you turned on god” doesn’t play well.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Jonny Nox posted:

So, on the Warhammer+ video service, there is a short film called “Iron Within”

It’s pretty good, but the impetus for the story is some Xenos threat to a backwater imperial world. The governing council is debating whether to call upon the Emperor’s Angels for help because of a pact they made with one of the legions millennia before. The positions were: The will not hear, They will not come, and They do not exist. So for a normal human Space Marines are just a part of the larger imperial cult but the real nature of them is largely kept hidden. So yeah, statues.

And yes, they call for aid from the Iron Warriors. Because how would they know? “There was a war in heaven and the angels specifically assigned to you turned on god” doesn’t play well.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how bad would the Iron Warriors be? They're pretty low on the actual chaos worshippingside of things right?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

They're not as hot on chaos poo poo as the other traitor legions for the most part, but they also have a practice of taking civilians as slaves to use as mine sweepers and first wave attack chaff.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Iron Warriors are just as enslaved by the Dark Gods as the rest of the traitor legions are, they just think they aren't.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

They got that whole :smuggo: Of course we are much too smart for the gods of chaos to control, we just do precisely what they want and never stop to consider that ten loving millenia might be too long to hold a grudge.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Okay but imagine how funny it would be if the Iron Warriors actually DID show up. I'm imagining an Iron Warriors warband on their ship when the "Oh poo poo please save us!" signal gets through, and they're all like

"Guys, what does that light mean?"

"I dunno, it hasn't lit up in. . . About nine thousand years?"

"Welp, we better go check it out just to be sure."

Of course, they're the Iron Warriors, so they'll probably cause about equal amounts of civilian casualties and friendly fire as they do kill xenos, but boy howdy will they kill some xenos.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

CheeseThief posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10 how bad would the Iron Warriors be? They're pretty low on the actual chaos worshippingside of things right?

Yeah the planet ends up a demon world and the population is enslaved. But they found iron within (get it?) the captain of the local guard so she got to be head slave

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oddly enough that pretty much the same ending to Liberation Day by Matthew Farrer and Edward Rusk. But the location is different because it's also the story I talked about a few pages back.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Brother Gregorious, did you notice how we never leave a planet with a triumph and adoring crowds anymore?

-Yes, I think that didn't happen since the Heresy when we stopped taking orders and started enslaving and sacrificing worlds to Chaos.

Correct, and I put it all down to the Imperium getting weak and degenerate!

-I completely agree with your logic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Jonny Nox posted:

For some reason the Inquisitors symbol on Vakir’s breastplate made me think it was a cup and now I have the word ‘boobgoblet’ in my head.

I’m grumpy about this.

Would 'gooblet' be any better?

...uh, actually, strike that from the record, please.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

By popular demand posted:

Brother Gregorious, did you notice how we never leave a planet with a triumph and adoring crowds anymore?

-Yes, I think that didn't happen since the Heresy when we stopped taking orders and started enslaving and sacrificing worlds to Chaos.

Correct, and I put it all down to the Imperium getting weak and degenerate!

-I completely agree with your logic.

I mean I don’t think the Iron Warriors got a triumph or adoring crowds even before the Heresy.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean I don’t think the Iron Warriors got a triumph or adoring crowds even before the Heresy.

That was one of the major reasons they rebelled. Their whole thing is sieges, so they were always sent to the longest, most grueling and awful battlefields that had sieges lasting for years and years. And nobody ever even gave them a pat on the head for it. Imagine every trope of a soldier not being appreciated for ehat they did during the war, except these guys had to deal with it for centuries.

That and they really hated the Imperial Fists, who eere their opposites. Everyone loves a good story of surviving a siege, which was exactly what the Fists did. They built stuff up while the Warriors broke it down. And they got tons of recognition for it, while the Warriors got nothing.

Pretty much all the traitor legions had decent reasons for being upset. But because of the structure of the Imperium and the Astartes, they had no way to change that. The emperor being a big dum dum with the Primarchs certainly didn't help. That made them all the easier to convert to Chaos.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Joke's still on them though: if they stayed loyal even to the barest of effort the chapter would be in a position to demand triumphs!

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Joke's still on them though: if they stayed loyal even to the barest of effort the chapter would be in a position to demand triumphs!

They were in a position to demand them anyway: one of the great failings of the Iron Warriors is that they were the epitome of 'too humble is half proud'; They toiled in obscurity and that led to bitterness, but they never asked for better or voiced their want for recognition. Their achievements became ash in thier mouths because they spent lives and material to achieve them, they had to mean something or it was a waste... but succeeding in the task itself wasn't enough, they had to have people notice, an this marred even their own internal pride. Things that would have been lauded in other legions became the standard in the Iron Warriors, and when the incredible and the nigh impossible becomes the standard even the above average becomes a failure.

They wanted recognition, but their own pride prevented them from asking for it, because doing so would expose that they weren't the picture perfect stoic soldiers who did what was required, and in turn, they grew bitter about it. To a certain extent their complaints about the Imperium are projection and their motto is a farce; They may claim to be 'Iron Within, Iron Without', but their rebellion came from a lack of internal solidity. Their pride and self-worth became externalised, relient on others and from there they fell.

The Horus Heresy definitely at least managed to give each Traitor Legion a relatively compelling reason for their fall.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 12, 2024

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
So when do we get the adeptas sororitas armour upgrade?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Jonny Nox posted:

For some reason the Inquisitors symbol on Vakir’s breastplate made me think it was a cup and now I have the word ‘boobgoblet’ in my head.

I’m grumpy about this.

"Look me in the eye - no,no, not THAT, I mean-!!"

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Irony of ironies they had probably the highest rate of loyalists among all the traitor legions but because their primarch sided with Horus they all had to hide their origin after the Horus Heresy and now even their descendants have forgotten their true origin.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well, the lp got me to give the game a spin.

I discovered 2 things

1: holy poo poo, whoever mentioned the dreadnought dlc missions were tough was right. Those things are suicide missions before you unlock the tank

2: if a plot critical character dies on the last tick of plague for the exact amount of health they had it's game over man. No free restart on campaign critical missions like firaxcom.

The dlc stuff definitely doesn't feel as smoothly integrated as the firaxcom stuff eventually got. A lot of it feels like it's in the dlc zone separate from the normal stuff ala gatecrasher or shen's last gift.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

Well, the lp got me to give the game a spin.

I discovered 2 things

1: holy poo poo, whoever mentioned the dreadnought dlc missions were tough was right. Those things are suicide missions before you unlock the tank

2: if a plot critical character dies on the last tick of plague for the exact amount of health they had it's game over man. No free restart on campaign critical missions like firaxcom.

The dlc stuff definitely doesn't feel as smoothly integrated as the firaxcom stuff eventually got. A lot of it feels like it's in the dlc zone separate from the normal stuff ala gatecrasher or shen's last gift.

For your sake, I do hope you have the assassin's DLC as well. The Dreadnought DLC is unabashedly a difficulty spike, whereas the assassin's DLC countermands that to some degree.

Also, until you gain more power or have a Culexus to counteract it to some degree, never take a 'protect the servitor's' technophage mission. You WILL eat poo poo for that.

As for DLC/game integration, it's not the best, but it's at least nowhere as bad as Phoenix Point's DLC implementation (which remains the worst I've seen to this day).

From the sounds of it, you're at the point of the game I mentioned where Duty Eternal kind of hits itself in the face, where it unlocks the Technophage missions before you get the Dreadnought. That's the worst of it, thankfully, and you do get some fun (if high difficulty) missions later on as well.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Keldulas posted:

As for DLC/game integration, it's not the best, but it's at least nowhere as bad as Phoenix Point's DLC implementation (which remains the worst I've seen to this day).

Mind elaborating on this? Never played PP

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ninjahedgehog posted:

Imagine if having Shen's last gift installed added Cyberdisks to the first mission of Xcom 2. As compensation you can research special anti-Cyberdisk weapons once you unlock plasma snipers.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 7, 2024

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

There are legitimately multiple Phoenix Point DLCs (in particular the air combat one) which do nothing but make the game harder in exchange for... actually almost nothing in return.

The Phoenix Point philosophy that there are generally only sidegrades plays extremely poorly with the DLCs putting more strain on your resources and time.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I played without dlcs and I can report there are straight up upgrades eventually...

If you can be best buds with two factions that hate each other!

But I'll also talk about something that PP does completely differently to this game: Ammo. You pay resources to make ammo and the game does keep track of clips between missions. You'll go broke if you just hit the "reload everything" button after each mission, especially if you are rocking a serious heavy weapon. Which is completely the opposite of this game. It was an interesting wrinkle when I started going into missions with half empty guns.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

The next set of bloom spawns happen in short order after the completion of the previous mission. As such there is little time for any research, plot, or recovery to occur. This isn't actually such a bad thing, as more missions in a smaller time frame can mean gaining more rewards from the armory, or stockpiling more requisition points to upgrade our armory access. Short turn around on missions is the reason I wanted to recruit several knights as soon as possible though. Without the ship upgrades to speed up healing time it's almost certain our roster will be in constant flux, rotating out knights as they take injuries. Sometimes that can lead to interesting situations, like Bhask. God drat it Bhask.

After you've watched the video, come back and read my thoughts on it:

Which are mostly going to be my attempts to downplay my Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome, and acknowledge I could have done things in a quicker or more efficient way with special regards to the second bloom spawn but nothing was particularly threatening there. I named this episode Ebb and Flow because of how the mission went; a slow start that suddenly ramped way up, sustained a lot of baddies surrounding me and then died down to a recoverable situation where I regathered myself enough to sit and judge the final bloom spawn as easy and simple manner not needing the ace I had held onto all mission. Sometimes things are just like that, overwhelming at one point, and easily handled at another. It's important not to panic and realize that bad situations can always be dealt with. We're only just starting the LP but we're still repeating the mantra that Chaos Gate doesn't require perfection. There's always a way to deal with a situation, and even if there isn't, things are not as unforgiving as in other similar games. Damage is going to happen, but you have the tools to recover from a bad situation fairly quickly and resume your mission. Depleted as I was, or felt, once the crisis was over I was in fairly good shape. HP was restored, grenades were out, and will power was low, but that was more than enough to deal with another two patrols of enemies as long as they didn't take me by surprise.

As a sort of tangent to that, holy crap Bhask. I don't think I've ever had an interceptor without the ability to teleport before. That whole mess of him being triple overwatched could have been avoided with a single willpower point and the ability to teleport. Instead I had to brainstorm how to make sure he lived and got away to safety. Arguably he could have just hit the Aegis shield and stayed put, but that would have given the cultists more time to flank, surround, and attack his position. Double also, I could have just used Gate of Infinity at the start of that turn and punched the plant, but I had wanted to save it for the second objective. It was messy, but I like how I handled it.

I'll use Bhask as an example for something Olesh and I have mentioned, the idea that there are no wrong builds for your knights. An interceptor without the ability to teleport is the wrong build. There are just a small handful of abilities that not taking will just ruin a knight. Now I didn't get to pick the skills when he was recruited and that brings me to another issue. I do not plan on upgrading the recruitment armory access for the rest of the game. Why? Because doing so allows for recruiting knights at a higher level, which means more prepicked skill choices are made for them and I do not want that. I would be perfectly happy with every knight coming in at level 1 if I got to assign their skill points. From this it becomes obvious there are times or circumstances when retraining a knight is necessary. Like in the case a knight comes into your roster with many points misspent. You only get 18 of them, and if the game has given you a knight with 5+ skill picks in a random or unwanted direction it may be best to retrain them. Retraining can be costly at 2 requisition, depending on how much req. you have stored up. An alternative is sending them back to Titan and gaining req. from that and waiting to recruit a new knight and hope for a better generated skill set. Early on I feel req. is too scarce and it's best just to work with what you have until you have two solid knights of each type and then use barrack space and mission rewards to fish for someone else. Don't do that too soon though, it's not worth having a lot of req but only 6-8 knights as injuries can and will happen and you may be left short handed or forced to field injured knights.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Goddamned that mission was a slog.

Also, at the start of video, this is what Olesh mentioned The SS Mary Sue which was in an entire trilogy of books by Kevin J Anderson, and was ridiculously OP.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I must agree on the hatred of plant artillery. They really are a "You can't ignore this" design thing. Didn't know about the minimum range (because how would you).

Weirdly, Apothecary without Healing, Justicar without Flag are both solid builds. Purgator with only a bolter? Weird but maybe you can do something cool with it. But yeah, no Teleport interceptor is probably a freaky late-game build when you have like a +3 Move armour and want more Crit and Crit makes AP side stuff. One thing that surprised me when I played and got a new skilled up recruit was how useful the AoE Hobble is. The mass blind (which I think can come with a purge) and the mass vulnerable are also quite shiny, but plague marines have almost as poo poo range as your knights, so hobbled is very good on them.

A shame that armour didn't have Increased Area on grenades, because that's the real wow factor for me. Admittedly, mostly with Stun grenades (but bigger booms are better booms almost regardless).

For Duty Eternal, I basically speedran the plot stuff to get the Dreadnought up and running ASAP. And would suggest similar for most people if they are playing along and want Techmarines and all that, unless you LIKE doing the missions max corruption throws at you. Due to slightly dubious design decisions (repairing the big boy costs servitors and maybe you ship upgrading time?) I ended up only using it as a long range thing, but it's still night and day.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

To put it simply, Phoenix Point's DLC universally has the trait of making the early game harder, due to an utter lack of testing as to the proper timing to actually introduce the new mechanics/new enemies/new maps and what not. The air DLC is a particular carbuncle of design by having a lot of wait and watch design where you can't do anything to affect the outcome of the air battle or the big monster destroying havens.

Tylana posted:

For Duty Eternal, I basically speedran the plot stuff to get the Dreadnought up and running ASAP. And would suggest similar for most people if they are playing along and want Techmarines and all that, unless you LIKE doing the missions max corruption throws at you. Due to slightly dubious design decisions (repairing the big boy costs servitors and maybe you ship upgrading time?) I ended up only using it as a long range thing, but it's still night and day.

I actually prefer to use it as a punchbot. The ranged damage is nothing special, whereas the punchbot often one-shot stuns enemies. A common trick I use to get off two punches in a round (and therefore stun two dudes) is use the charge ability into the fog to reveal them. Unlike normal movement, it gets to run the full measured distance, which often gets the Dreadnought close enough to punch two targets and set up 2 executes. Which should usually provide enough AP to let the Marines sweep the rest of that pod. Don't have to worry about it taking damage if the enemies don't get a turn. If it's not quite enough, then I just prioritize killing armor piercers/bad threats near the Dreadnought and then leave Marines in vulnerable positions to basically encourage the enemies to shoot them instead of the Dreadnought (this doesn't come up often).

As for the update, it feels like a particular flavour of the game trolling Jade Star where he ran to that previous mission specifically for that teleporter, but then he comes in not being able to do that. At least long-term wise, the Interceptor hasn't wasted any points, since Teleporter Crit Interceptor is not exactly a bad build. It's also funny that he forgot to look at the new Interceptor.

No willpower missions do kind of suck. Oddly enough, Interceptors with Support Fire are still one of the best since Support Fire does a lot to alleviate the lack of willpower. Too bad it's still too early and the Interceptors didn't have time to set that up yet properly. 2 Interceptors with that and the support of a Vindicare or Psilencer Purgator for long range triggers can actually cheese pods. Interceptors uses an AP to run into shot range, Vindicare/Psilencer triggers all the support fires, use rest of the AP to run out of range of the survivors, rinse, repeat. Also, oddly enough, No Willpower missions are where Jade Star is actually disadvantaged for not having Duty Eternal. As opposed to most circumstances where Duty Eternal makes things harder. The best parts of the Techmarine's kit also doesn't use AP. So you can just simply roll forward, kill what you can with Support Fire and other damage, then use the Techmarine's hard CC moves to just prevent the enemy from hitting you back properly.

Solarium
Mar 6, 2024
Episode 7 - Exterminatus Extremis

This episode's mission took place on a planet that was supposedly exterminatused, but still had plenty of standing buildings. Is that possible? Well... maybe?

Exterminatus is, as discussed already, an authority given to higherups in the Imperium, granting them the opportunity to wipe out any and all life on a planet. This is usually to wipe out an infestation of either Chaos or Xenos who are just too difficult to remove the conventional way. This is an option usually used with plenty of caution, for obvious reasons. Nobody wants to go around wiping out the actually important planets.

As for who can order Exterminatus, any Inquisitor, Space Marine Chapter Master, Lord High Admiral, or Lord Commander can do so, but obviously there are people reviewing those prders who may get a little mad if they get overzealous with it. The Ordo Excorum specifically is the group overseeing all Dxterminatus orders as a subset of the Inquisition. Each group has their own preferred ways of doing an Exterminatus. The Nacy loves their orbital bombardments, Space Marines teleport down to leave a present in the form of a giant gently caress off bomb, and the Inquisition gets lots of fun toys to play with which we'll be talking about next.

Onto the question of the hour: would the planet the mission was on still have standing structures? Lets look at some common methods of Exterminatus to decide. This list is going off of all those listed on the Lexicanum page.

Nuclear weapons: I feel like this one is self explanatory. It's also the one I feel most likely was used on the planet our brave Grey Knights visited, as it would cause the destruction we see on the buildings but not require a total destruction. After all, you have the radiation to kill everything off after that point.

Cyclonic torpedos: Another category of weaponry, this time being a favorite of those who declare Exterminatus. There's a large variety of methods used to create Cyclonic torpedos, but I'll quote the lexicanum for their effects

Lexicanum posted:

Whatever their method of destruction, the effect of cyclonic torpedoes is the same: the complete destruction of all life on the planet, its atmosphere burned away in a storm of fire and its oceans boiled to vapour, leaving it a barren rock.

And that's only the one stage torpedos. Two stage cyclonic torpedos burrow into the planet first, before shattering it from the inside. These ones are a bit toooo destructive, both varieties, so I doubt they were used here. They're so dangerous that the imperial forces aren't allowed to use it, only Inquisition and Space Marines.

Magna-Torpedos: This one has sadly little description I could find, other than 'planet breaking'. So I'm pretty sure it's another extra excessive one.

Virus Bombs: As the name implies, they drop massive destructive viruses onto a planet in order to kill everything there. Everything. Nothing that you could call alive will escape. One variety in particular is known as the "Life-Eater Virus". It can spread across the surface of a planet within minutes, and kill all of it. The rapid death causes a build up of flammable gas, which is then ignired and scorches the entire planet to nothing but rock. Another option I would discredit. It's just not destructive enough to the architecture, as ee saw plenty of broken buildings, and it was described as an orbital bombardment.

Atmospheric incinerator torpedo: Guess.

Mortalis Atmospheric Missile: Our final variety of Exterminatus. These use a special chemical called Phosphex to completely cover a planet. Think Greek Fire on space steroids, able to burn anything, anywhere. The residue lasts longer and sticks around more than radiation from nuclear bombs. A tech priest who discovered an STC describing how to make it destroyed it, not wanting something so cruel unleashed on the Galaxy. For his crime he was declared as a heretic, and burned at the stake by a phosphoenix. An ancient weapon which shoots Phosphex. The gun used is now a holy relic for the Adeptus Mechanicum.

In conclusion: the planet the Grey Knights just went to probably just got nuked a ton. That's the best balance between destructibility, but not tooo much destructibility to create the scene they find filled with Nurgle.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Jade Star posted:

I'll use Bhask as an example for something Olesh and I have mentioned, the idea that there are no wrong builds for your knights. An interceptor without the ability to teleport is the wrong build. There are just a small handful of abilities that not taking will just ruin a knight. Now I didn't get to pick the skills when he was recruited and that brings me to another issue. I do not plan on upgrading the recruitment armory access for the rest of the game. Why? Because doing so allows for recruiting knights at a higher level, which means more prepicked skill choices are made for them and I do not want that. I would be perfectly happy with every knight coming in at level 1 if I got to assign their skill points. From this it becomes obvious there are times or circumstances when retraining a knight is necessary. Like in the case a knight comes into your roster with many points misspent. You only get 18 of them, and if the game has given you a knight with 5+ skill picks in a random or unwanted direction it may be best to retrain them. Retraining can be costly at 2 requisition, depending on how much req. you have stored up. An alternative is sending them back to Titan and gaining req. from that and waiting to recruit a new knight and hope for a better generated skill set. Early on I feel req. is too scarce and it's best just to work with what you have until you have two solid knights of each type and then use barrack space and mission rewards to fish for someone else. Don't do that too soon though, it's not worth having a lot of req but only 6-8 knights as injuries can and will happen and you may be left short handed or forced to field injured knights.

To add onto this and bring up something I've talked about in the videos already in a bit more detail... Hypothetically, if, somehow, you had a shitload of requisition and nothing else to spend it on, then investing in higher level armory access would make practical sense because you can afford the opportunity cost of new recruits costing time and the retraining cost. In practice, though, you never have that much spare requisition that you can afford to spend +2 on every new recruit and across the course of the game you're better off pushing your other armory accesses up faster (for earlier access to better wargear and equipment). Wargear especially - there are 7 grenade types, 6 servo-skull types, and 11 other wargear choices. You can't be offered duplicates (or lower-ranked versions) of wargear that you already have, so buying any Tier 3 wargear that shows up, even if it's not something you want, has value in increasing the likelihood of being offered something you want in the future. This is far, far more valuable than troops showing up with more skill points that you can spend requisition on reassigning, as unless you make a habit of sacrificing knights to extract their 1/2/3 bonus skill points to assign to your Dream Team, you almost certainly are going to fill out your roster and be done hiring knights once you have the selection of classes you want, and fishing for desirable traits to fill out your roster is effectively free so long as the opportunity cost (not having enough uninjured marines to field) can be mitigated.

I want to talk about this more in a dedicated video, but in general my stance of "there are no wrong builds" assumes that you are selecting skills with intention and aren't just like, randomly making decisions come level up time. Bhask is a great example because no matter how you build an Interceptor, Teleport is so good to have that I can't imagine ever purposefully not taking it.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Teleport also gatekeeps the entire lefthand side of the skill tree. No teleport means not getting support fire either. Or the enhanced teleport/raiden slash.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Solarium posted:

Episode 7 - Exterminatus Extremis

This episode's mission took place on a planet that was supposedly exterminatused, but still had plenty of standing buildings. Is that possible? Well... maybe?

Exterminatus is, as discussed already, an authority given to higherups in the Imperium, granting them the opportunity to wipe out any and all life on a planet. This is usually to wipe out an infestation of either Chaos or Xenos who are just too difficult to remove the conventional way. This is an option usually used with plenty of caution, for obvious reasons. Nobody wants to go around wiping out the actually important planets.

As for who can order Exterminatus, any Inquisitor, Space Marine Chapter Master, Lord High Admiral, or Lord Commander can do so, but obviously there are people reviewing those prders who may get a little mad if they get overzealous with it. The Ordo Excorum specifically is the group overseeing all Dxterminatus orders as a subset of the Inquisition. Each group has their own preferred ways of doing an Exterminatus. The Nacy loves their orbital bombardments, Space Marines teleport down to leave a present in the form of a giant gently caress off bomb, and the Inquisition gets lots of fun toys to play with which we'll be talking about next.

Onto the question of the hour: would the planet the mission was on still have standing structures? Lets look at some common methods of Exterminatus to decide. This list is going off of all those listed on the Lexicanum page.
That’s a very thorough account.

Of course one might be asking ‘these various superweapons sound expensive, why don’t they drop a rock on them? They don’t cost anything.’

Patrick Marshall posted:

Rocks are NOT ‘free’, citizen.
Firstly, you must manoeuvre the Emperor’s naval vessel within the asteroid belt, almost assuredly sustaining damage to the Emperor’s ship’s paint from micrometeoroids, while expending the Emperor’s fuel.
Then the Tech Priests must inspect the rock in question to ascertain its worthiness to do the Emperor’s bidding. Should it pass muster, the Emperor’s Servitors must use the Emperor’s auto-scrapers and melta-cutters to prepare the potential ordinance for movement. Finally, the Tech Priests finished, the Emperor’s officers may begin manoeuvring the Emperor’s warship to abut the asteroid at the prepared face (expending yet more of the Emperor’s fuel), and then begin boosting the stone towards the offensive planet.
After a few days of expending a prodigious amount of the Emperor’s fuel to accelerate the asteroid into an orbit more fitting to the Emperor’s desires, the Emperor’s ship may then return to the planet via superluminous warp travel and await the arrival of the stone, still many weeks (or months) away.
After twiddling away the Emperor’s time and eating the Emperor’s food in the wasteful pursuit of making sure that the Emperor’s enemies do not launch a deflection mission, they may finally watch the ordinance impact the planet (assuming that the Emperor’s ship does not need to attempt any last-minute course correction upon the rock, using yet more of the Emperor’s fuel).

Given a typical (class Bravo-CVII) system, we have the following:
Two months, O&M, Titan class warship: 4.2 Million Imperials
Two months, rations, crew of same: 0.2 MI
Two months, Tech Priest pastor: 1.7 MI
Two months, Servitor parish: 0.3 MI
Paint, Titan class warship: 2.5 MI
Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.9 MI
Total: 9.8 MI

Contrasted with the following:
5 warheads, magna-melta: 2.5 MI
One day, O&M, Titan class warship: 0.3 MI
One day, rations, crew of same: 0.0 MI
Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.1 MI
Total: 2.9 MI

Given the same result with under one third of the cost, the Emperor will have saved a massive amount of His most sacred money and almost a full month of time, during which His warship may be bombarding an entirely different planet.
The Emperor, through this – His Office of Imperial Outlays – hereby orders you to attend one (1) week of therapeutic accountancy training/penance. Please report to Areicon IV, Imperial City, Administratum Building CXXI, Room 1456, where you are to sit in the BLUE chair.

For the Emperor,
Bursarius Tenathis,
Purser Level XI,
Imperial Office of Outlays.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 8, 2024

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Solarium posted:

Virus Bombs: As the name implies, they drop massive destructive viruses onto a planet in order to kill everything there. Everything. Nothing that you could call alive will escape. One variety in particular is known as the "Life-Eater Virus". It can spread across the surface of a planet within minutes, and kill all of it. The rapid death causes a build up of flammable gas, which is then ignired and scorches the entire planet to nothing but rock. Another option I would discredit. It's just not destructive enough to the architecture, as ee saw plenty of broken buildings, and it was described as an orbital bombardment.
I disagree. Yes, igniting the atmosphere after virus bomb does cause a planet-wide firestorm, but the destructiveness of that is very variable.
First it depends on how much biological material was consumed. Most hive worlds have between one and a handful, maybe five, hives, with the rest of the planet being a desolate wasteland after 10,000 years of pollution. You'd have a violent flash fire, but many structures would still be standing.
If it's a less developed planet, or a mining world that are almost always pretty barren on the biological front to begin with, and with tiny populations, you're not going to get all that much flammable gas out of it.

And I can even back that claim up, one of the early Hours Heresy books (pretty sure it's the third one, Galaxy in Flames) has a few marines surviving virus bombing followed by atmospheric ignition on Istavaan. No, not the dropsite massacre, the other, earlier Istavaan.

In addition, anything that wipes out all of the population on a world does technically qualify as an exterminatus. If it's a hive world with a single hive, demolishing that hive with orbital bombardment does count. There could still be some outposts and minor settlements out in the wasteland, but without the hive or imported resources, the 0.0001% or whatever of the population living there is going to starve anyway, so good enough.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Rocks are NOT ‘free’, citizen.

I've seen this copypasta before, and I love it. I think my favorite detail is that the Servitors, the literal lobotomized slave labor, have more upkeep than the actual living crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ousire posted:

I've seen this copypasta before, and I love it. I think my favorite detail is that the Servitors, the literal lobotomized slave labor, have more upkeep than the actual living crew.

Of course they do. They're worth more.