Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Regarde Aduck posted:

they don't really like the idea of progress so any city would have to get nuked at the end

i get that they don't want the setting to change much but why do they keep moving the timeline forward lol
it's a perfect microcosm of neoliberalism: better to constantly nuke and re-nuke everybody into dust than risk allowing a lucrative ip to become anything other than the one exact static thing they know sells well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

stumblebum posted:

it's a perfect microcosm of neoliberalism: better to constantly nuke and re-nuke everybody into dust than risk allowing a lucrative ip to become anything other than the one exact static thing they know sells well

totally

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Neoliberalism is when todd howard blows up new vegas because it spoke deep grim truths to power.

Also, I have been playing the newest total warhams DLC and its interesting how CA is moving away from RTS brain over the years in campaign to more straightforward 4x systems when it comes to the actual production of everyone's favorite toy soldiers.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Tankbuster posted:

Also, I have been playing the newest total warhams DLC and its interesting how CA is moving away from RTS brain over the years in campaign to more straightforward 4x systems when it comes to the actual production of everyone's favorite toy soldiers.

how have they changed it?

Regarde Aduck posted:

they don't really like the idea of progress so any city would have to get nuked at the end

i get that they don't want the setting to change much but why do they keep moving the timeline forward lol

its a big contrast compared to fallout 1 and 2

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
A lot of the earlier techtree decisions were designed like RTS games. You needed the building and a tech structure. Given that it was a turn based game all it did was slow down access to more higher tier stuff until later in the game.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Tankbuster posted:

A lot of the earlier techtree decisions were designed like RTS games. You needed the building and a tech structure. Given that it was a turn based game all it did was slow down access to more higher tier stuff until later in the game.

so its more like how a lot of mediaval 2 mods do it wrt unit progression now?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
kinda. The closest thing I can think off is it being more like in post medieval 2 games where the buildings increasingly feel like depictions of the military capacity of your country. It also helps the AI because they can make varied armies easier now.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Megamissen posted:

how have they changed it?

its a big contrast compared to fallout 1 and 2

my unpopular opinion is that the best of the original fallouts was fallout 1. much more cohesive and focused. the time limit was a great gimmick too

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

that's not that unpopular

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

bedpan posted:

my unpopular opinion is that the best of the original fallouts was fallout 1. much more cohesive and focused. the time limit was a great gimmick too

yeah that is just the truth

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

that's not that unpopular

Virtual Russian posted:

yeah that is just the truth

oh okay. great. fallout 2 is good and all but 1 is more impressive and has worldbuilding

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Fallout 1 and 2 are easily the best in the series, but even they I only found above average.

I might have put the most amount of time in Fallout Brotherhood of Steel, which isn't amazing either, but it did try some interesting things and I was really jonesing for something akin to Jagged Alliance 2 of which there was a total drought for so long.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 are easily the best in the series, but even they I only found above average.

I might have put the most amount of time in Fallout Brotherhood of Steel, which isn't amazing either, but it did try some interesting things and I was really jonesing for something akin to Jagged Alliance 2 of which there was a total drought for so long.

same on all particulars, god jagged alliance 2 was such a loving video game

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i like new vegas because it hits that sweet spot of just enough jank to let you do stupid poo poo but not so much jank that it kills the fun

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fallout 1 is more focused, has better atmosphere and writing than Fallout 2 but it's also relatively short all things considered. Fallout 2 actually has enough content that you get to experiment more with your character build, but said content is all over the place in terms of quality. Fallout New Vegas is the perfect synthesis, a longer, more varied game but more tonally consistent and of consistenly higher quality than most of the quests in FO2, which is why it's the best Fallout.

Orange Devil posted:

I'm assuming you mean Fallout: Tactics, right?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I've only played Fallouts 1, 2, and Tactics.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Oh yeah poo poo, Fallout: Tactics, that's the one.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I never played Fallout 1 or 2 but I've been working my way through Underrail off and on for the last month. It's pretty good!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
As a sidenote, while I haven't played Song of Syx recently, or seen any of the recent associated drama, I want to point out a system in it I really like - Knowledge needs to be maintained. You don't just unlock new technologies, you have to pay research upkeep for the ones you unlocked, and to help reduce the burden of this you can also build libraries, etc, and having an educated population iirc reduces the upkeep of your technologies or something like that. If your city suffers some sort of a disaster, and you're unable to maitain your institutions of learning, you will forget some of the more advanced things you learned previously. How it plays out in your city works out quite well, and prevents some of the artificiality of research buildings in a lot of other city builders, where they only exist to unlock some abstractions instead of being something that it feels like your city organically needs, and avoids the problem of advanced technology somehow being something engraved into the brain of every single one of your citizens.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
more broadly I like the idea of things requiring replacement and maintenance: a game like Victoria and most economic simulations usually only represent this in terms of food and consumables, or even clothes and maybe guns, but I think it's only W&R where you're expected to replace buildings after they reach a certain age

it would be cool if, like, in a city simulator, you had to deal with wear-and-tear on your roads and how to plan their repair, or if you never really out-grow the need for cement and wood because buildings fall and buildings get rebuilt all the time

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I think that kinda goes against the reasons why most play a city builder. For all the complaints you'll see about wanting the game to be "difficult," the main draw is really just playing a city builder like it was a bonsai tree. Personally, I've also never really understood the difficulty complaints. A city doesn't really have a failure state tied to your budget which seems to be one of the main ways gamers want difficulty added to their city builder.

W&R has thoroughly broken my desire to play anything else in the genre tho.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Can you run W&R on a potato if you turn down the settings enough or do I have to wait for a new rig? Everything I hear about it ITT says it's the gold standard of this genre, one I was addicted to until EA did EA things

(By which I mean a old school MBP with 16 GB RAM and integrated graphics. Good enough for work poo poo and development, not so much for most gaming)

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 15:10 on May 2, 2024

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

fallout tactics gets a bad rap, but as far as i can recall it was actually pretty fun as long as vehicles weren't involved

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

more like bad crap

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

tangentially but I liked how in Alpha Centauri the tech tree covering the first century or so was explicitly not new technology but representing getting the industrial base and productive forces in place to make use of the existing theoretical knowledge that was brought along with the colony ships

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Isentropy posted:

Can you run W&R on a potato if you turn down the settings enough

you can and it's super dangerous to boot up on vacation lmao

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

having both a real time with pause system and a turn based system seemed like a popular idea with tactics games for a while there that never really worked out

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FrancisFukyomama posted:

having both a real time with pause system and a turn based system seemed like a popular idea with tactics games for a while there that never really worked out

I think at least part of it was that there would sort of be a "better answer" where quirks in the implementation would mean one mode was superior to the other, such as real-time for X-Com Apocalypse

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

FrancisFukyomama posted:

tangentially but I liked how in Alpha Centauri the tech tree covering the first century or so was explicitly not new technology but representing getting the industrial base and productive forces in place to make use of the existing theoretical knowledge that was brought along with the colony ships

I think one of the tech quotes in the game was literally "ppl always ask me why we can't just go back to space since we have the technology, do those idiots not understand how much infrastructure we need to setup in order to do spaceflight?"

May 2, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 18:59 on May 2, 2024

May 2, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Fallout 1 is good because it's short but it also has problems because there wasn't enough time spent on fixing up gameplay and balance flaws and quest design.

Fallout 2 is good because it has way story and character interactions, but it's also bad because it's so bloated and tedious at times.

Better is a somewhat generous description for 1, it wastes your time less and that's better for olds today that have too much going on in their lives to waste on video games, but that depends on your personal situation than anything else.

Edit: Also Fallout 1 is much better in the age of the internet when you can look up the correct build and solutions to weird puzzles or obtuse game mechanics, the game has some rough edges that can become a roadblock for no good reason.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 15:58 on May 2, 2024

050224_2
May 2, 2024

050224_2
May 2, 2024

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

fallout tactics gets a bad rap, but as far as i can recall it was actually pretty fun as long as vehicles weren't involved

I remember enjoying it as a kid but getting freaked out by the bug level and never finishing

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Vehicles had their issues, sure, but a deathclaw throwing grenades at people out of a buggy was too funny for me to pass up.

I think I played the game with a max charisma character which trivialized getting good companions.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Looking at 6mm Warhammer stuff for armageddon and not sure if I need to be talked into or out of it

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Fallout Tactics was also fun for mixing the RPG and squad stuff. Not a lot of games, I guess maybe just Jagged Alliance 2, do the thing where you can have your squad walk around do quests and talk to people before combat breaks out or between combat. Or even just having different combat events spread across the map. Like go in and gently caress up the main group of raiders with a big firing squad but then focus and do some tactical stuff to breach the back lot and keep them from blowing up the fuel tank.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Typo posted:

"do those idiots not understand how much infrastructure we need?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Jagged Alliance 3 now does this also.