Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

you are correct, it's one of the two for the quest that makes you catch six more to get the title <<Of Dragons Deep>>

The stuff is definitely a bit of a pain. Apparently the current fish I'm on requires it be Clear or Fair weather (and also a certain time of day, though I can circumvent that with a skill). Every time I've been on in the last few days, the weather hasn't been right. I'll stick it through though, since that title you mention sounds cool. The title I've always used is "Sister of Ash" from the Amalj'aa beast tribe quests.

IIRC the Titanic Sawfish also required that I remove most of my gear; I kept catching some other fish that was a fancy version of it, I think because my stats were too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

High stats wouldn't cause you to catch the wrong fish afaik; I think you will still bite fish at the same rate and you'll simply fail to catch advanced fish when your stats are too low.

Unless you're very intentionally trying to run the content without much assistance, plz use Carbuncle Plushy. It tells you when a fish's upcoming weather conditions will occur. I'm sure there's plenty of people who avoid using it, but it's just good to know going in that that'll make the process drastically more difficult

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

orcane posted:

You trade Ryne for Estinien in EW, but G'raha joined the ShB team at level 80, so you have to level him 81-90 too.

ShB has 6 NPCs who need to level and you can split them into two teams you can take from 71 to 80 each. EW has you leveling up 7 NPCs so you need to switch them around if you want to minimize the number of runs.

it's honestly pretty annoying that you have to level g'raha from 80 to 81 when everyone else who you can use in EW just skips past 80 to get to 81

or am i remembering wrong and he started at 81 too

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Martman posted:

High stats wouldn't cause you to catch the wrong fish afaik; I think you will still bite fish at the same rate and you'll simply fail to catch advanced fish when your stats are too low.

Unless you're very intentionally trying to run the content without much assistance, plz use Carbuncle Plushy. It tells you when a fish's upcoming weather conditions will occur. I'm sure there's plenty of people who avoid using it, but it's just good to know going in that that'll make the process drastically more difficult

And it's not cheating because upcoming weather information is available in game from the Skywatchers, this just collates and organizes the windows so you don't have to do the math yourself.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Speaking of Manderville I've been doing the EW quests and they're ridiculous. How does Godbert get to the moon? I appreciate how everybody dunks on the UFO conspiracy guy. It was nice seeing the Loporitts again.

he jumped

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

parasyte posted:

it's honestly pretty annoying that you have to level g'raha from 80 to 81 when everyone else who you can use in EW just skips past 80 to get to 81

or am i remembering wrong and he started at 81 too
They all start at 81. I think the only one who stays at 80 is Ryne, for obvious reasons.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kerrzhe posted:

he jumped

he threw himself

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

One of these days Godbert… Bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think Lolorito really toes the line but the resolution makes sense. The other guy was extrajudicially executed on the spot in front of him and he later gave up half his fortune. I know rich people can afford consequences but IRL it's more like a fine for less than .01% of your total value that you'll just rip from the company at fault's coffers anyway. Lolorito became the state's biggest donor and agreed to it so he could become the sultana's financial attack dog. When she says "make your profit as you work" it's tongue in cheek: you wouldn't hire a guy like Lolorito in the first place without knowing that's how he operates. It's not just pragmatic to not risk a civil war in Uldah but to have a heavyweight in your corner, feverishly believing it's his own cunning that got him there so he'll never leave.

It's like all the poo poo Hancock gets every time you talk to him journeying around Kugane. Yeah, he's a weasel kami posing as a hyur but what were you looking for or expecting when you need a business guru diplomat?

I won't deny that Lolorito probably deserves a rematch with Raubahn overall but I've heard it said that even the devs regret the Bloody Banquet a little.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean his mother absolutely deceived him a ton but she was nice about it and he didn't find out until she was like "lol, I've been funding the Scions for years."

Good point, though at least Alphinaud is safe in that his mother truly wants what is best for him. I lolled pretty hard at the start of Ameliance's delivery quest series when she runs a socializing train over Rowena. :haw:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Martman posted:

Oh drat, thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of there just being a link to get that info. I play on the TV while sitting in bed with a tablet on my lap, so it's kinda perfectly suited to it.

Actually, I think the unintuitive thing I had to do may have been something like "not using the Patience + Precision/Powerful Hookset" skills (though I also unequipped stuff because I found some people corroborating doing that). I spent a long time fishing normally with those skills and got nothing but Pirate's Banes, but then just used regular catches and finally got it after a pretty small number of tries.

The impression I had with the gear is that Pirate's Bane may have been a sort of advanced/rare version of Titanic Sawfish, so my fancy gear was possibly making me hook the higher-tier one every time, though all the information I can find about this seems inconsistent and conflicting.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Patience/Patience II is basically for:
a) building stacks of Angler's Art, which can indirectly help with Big Fishing (Thaliak's Favor and Makeshift Bait, for instance)
b) catching fish to Mooch with
b) catching better quality Collectible fish

It's a bit of a localization gotcha now that instead of high-quality fish you catch large-sized fish, which are not the same thing as Big Fish (though you can get a large-sized Big Fish, which you might even need to Mooch with). Patience only helps you catch large-sized fish, which you might need for Mooching a Big Fish, and is especially helpful if you're going to constantly be in a loop (i.e. the fish you Mooch with can catch itself, so you want to keep catching large-sized fish), but is not particularly worthwhile when you're just doing straight casts.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hogama posted:

Patience only helps you catch large-sized fish, which you might need for Mooching a Big Fish, and is especially helpful if you're going to constantly be in a loop (i.e. the fish you Mooch with can catch itself, so you want to keep catching large-sized fish)

Nabaath Saw :argh:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

What's the source of this?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

W.T. Fits posted:

What's the source of this?

https://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy-14-dawntrails-new-female-hrothgar-race-nearly-had-a-cuter-design/

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

The impression I had with the gear is that Pirate's Bane may have been a sort of advanced/rare version of Titanic Sawfish, so my fancy gear was possibly making me hook the higher-tier one every time, though all the information I can find about this seems inconsistent and conflicting.

the only things that affects whether certain fish are "in the pool", so to speak, are the bait you're using (including mooched fish) and any special conditions (time, weather, intuition, book learnin', and sometimes quest status). fish bite at different baits at different rates (or not at all) and a big part of Big Fishing is choosing the right bait to reduce bycatch as much as possible.

gathering and perception stats are, generally speaking, pass/fail i.e. either you have enough to reel in a fish (note: this means successfully catching, they can still nibble) or you don't. they do not affect the rate or ratio of bites. past the relevant breakpoints you get bonuses to things like double hooking and the size/collectibility rating of whatever you catch

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hogama posted:

Patience/Patience II is basically for:
a) building stacks of Angler's Art, which can indirectly help with Big Fishing (Thaliak's Favor and Makeshift Bait, for instance)
b) catching fish to Mooch with
b) catching better quality Collectible fish

It's a bit of a localization gotcha now that instead of high-quality fish you catch large-sized fish, which are not the same thing as Big Fish (though you can get a large-sized Big Fish, which you might even need to Mooch with). Patience only helps you catch large-sized fish, which you might need for Mooching a Big Fish, and is especially helpful if you're going to constantly be in a loop (i.e. the fish you Mooch with can catch itself, so you want to keep catching large-sized fish), but is not particularly worthwhile when you're just doing straight casts.

Huh, I was under the impression the Patience-related skills were just "better at catching things" assuming you use the right one based off the number of exclamation marks (with the trade-off being the GP cost). I didn't realize they had anything to do with Mooching (which I just assumed you can do with the relevant fish any time you catch them).

The language used is definitely kind of confusing.

Edit: drat, the next step gives 99 Aetherite tickets and 50 Yumizono or another lure! That's a pretty nice reward

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 2, 2024

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I didn't realize they had anything to do with Mooching (which I just assumed you can do with the relevant fish any time you catch them).
There is an ability that lets you use any sized fish to do that - it's Mooch II (learned at level 63), but it costs 100 GP, has a 3 minute cooldown (180 seconds), and only allows you a 15 second window from the time you catch a fish to use the ability. The basic Mooch only lets you use large-sized fish, but never goes on cooldown and stays active from the time you catch one until you either use Mooch, use an ability that cancels your current mooching opportunity, or quit fishing. This is handy because you can catch fish in advance of a window and wait to immediately Mooch. (Mooch II does have its uses, though.)

Here's the descriptions of the Patiences and the Hooksets:

Patience posted:

Increases the chance of landing a large-sized fish by 50% while reducing Hook efficiency by 40%.

Powerful Hookset posted:

Negates the Inefficient Hooking status. Has no effect on certain fish with a weak bite.

Precision Hookset posted:

Negates the Inefficient Hooking status. Has no effect on certain fish with a strong bite.

Patience II posted:

Increases the chance of landing a large-sized fish by 80% while reducing Hook efficiency by 75%. Also increases the likelihood of catching an average-sized fish of greater length.

Large-sized fish are the ones that enable Mooch. The reduced Hook efficiency (i.e. increased chance to not catch the fish) is given to you through the Inefficient Hooking status, and using the correct Hookset ability makes your catch ignore that specific status - but does not actually improve your chances of outright catching a fish, only the chance that once caught, it will be large-sized. (The "likelihood of catching an average-sized fish of greater length" bit on Patience II is referring to Collectability.)

So if your base chance to catch a particular fish is, let's arbitrarily say 85% with a 20% chance of being large-sized, Patience II would make that a mere 10% to catch while it's active, but if you use the proper Hookset ability, it's back up to 85%. That means you still might fail to catch the fish, but if you do, it's got a 100% chance of being large-sized (and proccing Mooch, if applicable).

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

In other words, unless you're Ocean Fishing*, looking for a mooch fish, or farming Collectibles, "large" fish, and therefore Patience, do nothing helpful for you.

*Still not always recommended for Ocean Fishing, but large fish do give more points there.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, the key that unlocked a lot of fishing for me (disclaimer: I am still not very good) is that all the skills are situational, and you need to identify what your specific goal is and how to most efficiently spend GP towards that goal. If you're just looking for a rare bite and don't need to mooch or build buff stacks, Patience isn't going to be much use.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Another handy fishing resource is https://afishersguidetoeorzea.carrd.co, which has strategies for catching all of the big fish. It even explains why you were catching Pirate's Bane - because you caught a bunch of wahoos and triggered a buff that added Pirate's Bane to the pool, not because of gear.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

It helps that they painted him as pathetically sucking up to the WoL behind their back via his Niece in StB's Kugane Castle Dungeon post-duty dialogue.

Honestly between the two Teledji got off light. He doesn't need to spend the rest of his life dancing on eggshells and potentially setting off a whole room of Rahbauns.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I finally tried healing again with controller today (on my Scholar).

It was mostly fine. I think the only situation where I can potentially run into problems is when I suddenly need to heal someone who isn't the tank and panic. But keeping the tank healed is pretty easy because you can keep them "soft targeted" while still attacking enemies.

edit: I also did the "new" version of Castrum Meridianum for the first time. They really streamlined that! I also noticed they started throwing in some slightly more complex mechanics.

I actually kinda miss the old Praetorium. That thing gave so much loving XP. I always felt like it was worth it, especially since you could alt-tab for large swathes.

Hogama posted:

Large-sized fish are the ones that enable Mooch. The reduced Hook efficiency (i.e. increased chance to not catch the fish) is given to you through the Inefficient Hooking status, and using the correct Hookset ability makes your catch ignore that specific status - but does not actually improve your chances of outright catching a fish, only the chance that once caught, it will be large-sized. (The "likelihood of catching an average-sized fish of greater length" bit on Patience II is referring to Collectability.)

So if your base chance to catch a particular fish is, let's arbitrarily say 85% with a 20% chance of being large-sized, Patience II would make that a mere 10% to catch while it's active, but if you use the proper Hookset ability, it's back up to 85%. That means you still might fail to catch the fish, but if you do, it's got a 100% chance of being large-sized (and proccing Mooch, if applicable).

Ah thank you - this really helps with clarifying how this stuff works.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 2, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Getting the Clive quests done on an alt and I decided to pay better attention to the time taken to clear the solo duty. With a lvl 50 MCH, and a few missed dodges, it took about 8 minutes including about 2 minutes of cutscene. Still a bit lengthy, as solo duties tend to be, but not that bad.

The cooldown gap closer chunks off 3% of Ifrit's HP per hit and the dodge counter does 1% per hit. Considering how it's scaled to take little damage per hit from your regular attacks, it adds up pretty quickly. Especially since he'll start spamming ground telegraphs in his final 10% so you can pretty much just repeatedly style on him to finish the duty

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Benchmark update is scheduled for May 23

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vitamean posted:

I have a macro for each party member lined up next to their name on the party list

Do you not have to worry about macros being screwy and not doing what you expect them to do?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Bruceski posted:

They don't balance around trash packs, never have. Why would they start now?

it's kinda funny how warriors are considered the uncontested kings of trash pulls, then you look at criterion savage and paladins suddenly become the favourite because three shrubs chunk you for half your hp every three seconds and now ten seconds of no-strings-attached invulnerability become very attractive to healers

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i have a mouseover macro for aetherial manipulation, which is great because it works in two ways - either mouseover the person on the party list you trust, or just look at the arena and mouseover whoever's in the safespot. both work for mouseover, and the 2nd one is great because you don't have to look for the person you see in the party list

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Surprising, I was expecting them to get it out ahead of the media tour since if it still sucks it's going to derail their whole thing.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

orange juche posted:

Do you not have to worry about macros being screwy and not doing what you expect them to do?

As long as you're aware how they act, macros are perfectly predictable. And it's really just mostly GCDs that require compensation when playing optimally because you want them happening immediately after each other. oGCDs like Aetherial Manipulation work a little better as macros.

The thing with macros is they don't work with FFXIV's invisible Action queue, where you can press an action about 0.25 seconds before it's available and it'll go off as soon as possible. So to compensate for not working with that, you just have to hit macros when they're ready to go, or you can quasi-force the queue by having the macro repeat the Action multiple times with just a single press.

For oGCDs, they're ready to go pretty much always outside of casting. AethManip already requires you to interrupt your casts and you don't want to do anything like dual-weaving with it second, so it's a pretty consistent use case for a macro.

Failboattootoot posted:

Surprising, I was expecting them to get it out ahead of the media tour since if it still sucks it's going to derail their whole thing.

It probably requires a ton of work to get the Benchmark in place, which they'd already budgeted towards getting the media tour clients ready. My guess is they're piggy-backing the Benchmark updates off the media tour updates rather than risk delaying the media tour, which likely has contract issues and other large headaches if it has to be pushed back.

Sure, the Benchmark looking non-representative is a problem, but it's already done that damage and it has a disclaimer that it's not final anyways. There's no point in causing more damage by trying to rush it.

Onean fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 2, 2024

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah they probably can't got both goals of the media tour and the new benchmark out in time for the media tour within a realistic staffing goal. They could probably do it if they wanted to hand out overtime like candy but pushing your staff that hard provides little long term benefit and leads to brain drain as your most talented staff burn themselves out. Not worth it for a glorified tech demo.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
While people are fishposting - I've never quite gotten that shark mount from fishing. I know you need to use the right bait, but I thought Patience was Definitely the Way. Is there something else I should be doing?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

OB_Juan posted:

While people are fishposting - I've never quite gotten that shark mount from fishing. I know you need to use the right bait, but I thought Patience was Definitely the Way. Is there something else I should be doing?

Ocean Fishing for points can be pretty complicated. As a general rule you don't use Patience there, though there are some edge cases. Scoring high is more about using the right baits to lure out aetheric weather and then focusing on the ideal fish to double/triple hook during that phase. Which bait and which fish will vary depending on the route you're on and what time of day each leg of the route falls on.

It's also entirely possible to get lucky and score enough for the achievement just because other people on the same boat did really well, so it's worth continuing even if the first or second part of the route didn't pan out as well as they could have.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Not to downplay people's concerns, but if the second benchmark coming out slightly later than expected "derails the media tour" people need to get a loving grip

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

they're going to fix everything

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Countblanc posted:

Not to downplay people's concerns, but if the second benchmark coming out slightly later than expected "derails the media tour" people need to get a loving grip

dead game bozja 2 minute homogenization meaningful stats job customization blue mage

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Countblanc posted:

frankly I am willing to downplay people's concerns

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Been doing some reprog of UWU as tank (previously did it as MNK). It's not too difficult but has some interesting elements, but nothing on par of DSR in terms of pure tanking. Still, being MT in UWU now means that I never (or well, almost never) have to deal with doing jails wrong, so that's a plus, although melee is still probably the easiest role to play as in the fight.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Countblanc posted:

I don't think that was the point Failboattootoot was making. They were saying that if the updated benchmark still looks bad after coming out after the media tour, that'll derail the buildup of hype for release the tour is trying to build, not that it'll detail the media tour itself.

Which it would, for some. We've already seen the differences cause disconnects with a few people here in this very thread.

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 2, 2024

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ah you're right, but also I absolutely do not think that will happen for any meaningfully large part of the playerbase*. People are going to be hosed up on job and plot speculation for a month easy.

*This is not to throw shade, I'm in plenty of unmeaningfully small parts of the playerbase with some of my wants and concerns. I just also don't think those wants not getting addressed will do more than frazzle a very very small number of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

orange juche posted:

Not really. They're hard coded to each party member in my list so I just click next to their nameplate or press the bind and I'm there.

For example, this one will take me to the 3rd player in my party list, which is the sage in the above screenshot:

This mainly works for me because of how I sort my party list - I can always trust that one of the healers is already standing in a good place to AM to, and if they're not then it's probably not content that I need to stress about dodging an attack in anyway.