Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think her hanging out with Bastion means she's probably human. The UN is just full of poo poo, that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If she was Mystique, she'd probably not still be in character when she sprung Magneto (even if they don't have the same relationship they do in the movies, there'd be no reason for her to make Magneto think Val released him rather than her) and she'd probably not have let herself get captured right after either since there's no advantage to that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If there's going to be a surprise Mystique reveal then it should have more value than just 'oh hey it's Mystique'. With Kurt and Rogue kicking around there is potential for a reveal to have a dramatic pay-off but with how much there is to be crammed into these last two eps it doesn't feel like something they have time for. Would love for it to come into play in Season 2 though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I assume back in the 90's Magnus was a survivor of an ambiguous atrocity rather than explicitly the Holocaust for both character age and kids broadcast reasons? Pretty far from name dropping Mengele. And sort of ambiguously European and not necessarily every name Erik Lehnshurr?

Do we still think Val Cooper is Mystique? I thought she might reveal herself to Bastion but obviously not yet. With her being referenced so much and having since had a redemption I figured they might get her involved. Could just be she just privately reflects on things to the audience before electing not to directly involve herself in Rogue and Kurt's lives right now.

The power of her show-closing monologue is completely undercut if it's actually Mystique.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NikkolasKing posted:

Bastion/Prime Sentinel talk
Nobody here really believes Bastion that all the Prime Sentinels were members, even unwitting ones, of his little hate group, right? His old-rear end mom was on some AOL chat room bitching about muties? Trish, who was there to apologize to Hank for her insensitivity, went to a meeting of bigots to join up? Sure, some of them were probably did join up with an anti-mutant group and were forced into this scientific horror, but it seems just as likely many were just plain abducted and used for convenience.

Yea, I think this is one of those moments that cause people to realize that their hatred and bigotry may of gone too far, mostly because it started effecting "normal people".

Bastion definitely sold his stuff as I will protect humanity, not kill mutants, and the UN bought into that. They always want to pretend that no, they're not just anti mutant, they're just pro human!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

BizarroAzrael posted:

I assume back in the 90's Magnus was a survivor of an ambiguous atrocity rather than explicitly the Holocaust for both character age and kids broadcast reasons? Pretty far from name dropping Mengele. And sort of ambiguously European and not necessarily every name Erik Lehnshurr?

I'm pretty sure the original cartoon didn't go any further than "Magneto's country was invaded by a foreign army that destroyed his village."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/XMenUpdate/status/1785750199329046676?t=NFrCLg9SBp3HaRCv_zv1qA&s=19

https://twitter.com/XMenUpdate/status/1785753094183088203?t=3nJa9Nkak0DZuqIikUZiow&s=19

I mean it looks cool to check out while at Universal Studios or something, but doubt I would book it as an Air BnB just to see it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That sure is a lot of props that def won't get damaged or stolen

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

Bastion/Prime Sentinel talk
Nobody here really believes Bastion that all the Prime Sentinels were members, even unwitting ones, of his little hate group, right? His old-rear end mom was on some AOL chat room bitching about muties? Trish, who was there to apologize to Hank for her insensitivity, went to a meeting of bigots to join up? Sure, some of them were probably did join up with an anti-mutant group and were forced into this scientific horror, but it seems just as likely many were just plain abducted and used for convenience.

In the comics most of the people were unwilling or didn't know what they were getting into. They are also nearly totally under Bastion's control and have little free will.

Trask in the comics after getting his free will back for about half a minute notably quickly rescinds as many orders as he can, then kills himself cause he knows his free will is only temporary. Thanking the one who briefly freed him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 2, 2024

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

twistedmentat posted:

Bastion definitely sold his stuff as I will protect humanity, not kill mutants, and the UN bought into that. They always want to pretend that no, they're not just anti mutant, they're just pro human!

Yes, definitely. Which is perfect: "America First" isn't racist, "protecting women" isn't transphobic, "stopping groomers" isn't anti-queer. Unless you pay attention for even one moment. Reactionary, genocidal far-right bullshit always plays that rhetorical game, so it follows it'd be sold as such here. That and the stochastic terrorist sleeper agent stuff just 100% nails the on-the-nose political allegory of X-Men. "We're just trying to protect humanity," so here's this concerted, hate-based effort by "anxious" everyday folks who've been weaponized by extremists to eradicate an undesirable minority, while institutions believe the lie that the perpetrators are victims and the targets struck first.

Honestly, I have no notes. This show is nailing it.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
What fucks with my brain is that there is a non-zero chance that this show may actually get through to some people. Like, some dude in his 40s with bad politics looking in the mirror and saying “am I the cyber zombie in this situation”?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

What fucks with my brain is that there is a non-zero chance that this show may actually get through to some people. Like, some dude in his 40s with bad politics looking in the mirror and saying “am I the cyber zombie in this situation”?

Oh no, a non-zero amount of people heard Bastion's rant about mutants stealing jobs and nodded along, completely oblivious.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

Paul Ryan famously was a fan of Rage Against the Machine despite not getting any of the messaging in their music, at all.

You're never gonna get those Friends of Humanity types, what we hope for is getting the Val Cooper types who either tacitly or overtly support fascism to wake up and realize what they are doing.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Watching X-Men TAS defiantly influenced me not to grow up to be a bigoted racist. The line "People fear what they do not understand." stuck with me. It's helps to remind me that all those lovely White Nationalist are just a bunch of scared children.

"Coexistence is messy" is defiantly a line I'll be keeping whenever I'm in discussion groups. The two speeches in this last episode were extremely powerful, I need to watch this again.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Adrianics posted:

It's all so good!

it's so good

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Senerio posted:

DeMayo said she was just a nameless human UN rep to show that the UN were full of poo poo

Having been in the room with a bunch of UN people over the last decade I can say they definitely got that part right.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Regarding Val/Mystique and the show runner’s comments: Beau de Mayo was asked and he answered ‘no’. Seems he’s happy to quell the speculation, I guess because the story he’s trying to tell works better with an actual human sympathiser rather than an undercover mutant.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 2, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DiscoJ posted:

Regarding Val/Mystique and the show runner’s comments: Beau de Mayo was asked and answered ‘no’. Seems he’s happy to quell the speculation, I guess because the story he’s trying to tell works better with an actual human sympathiser rather than an undercover mutant.
If they were going to go the 'she's Mystique' direction, it would have happened in this episode

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

214782 was right.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I must admit that I haven’t been super high on X-Men because I felt like it was just rushing through a bunch of comic storylines mashed together, without giving them the space that made those storylines good, but this latest episode was where I finally thought the show really found its pace.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Theo James is doing a really strong Neal McDonough impression

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also everyone that was flying in an airplane is 100% dead, right? :v:

I THINK that's what happened when he did it in the 90's Fatal Attractions arc. As I remember though he just did because a bunch of governments had a satellite network to cut him off from Earth which they activated when he made some threats to humanity after he took over Cable's Graymalkin space station and modified/rebranded it as Avalon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Given that we saw the meat sentinels all over the world, there must have been thousands, if not millions of them to all be there at every place a mutant was. That means, Bastion must have technovirus vats all over the place, too. What a clusterfuck.

But, I suppose this is where the usual media trope of just ignoring poo poo comes in, with the vats never appearing again. Otherwise we'd see them being used to create Extremis type people everywhere.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
closing all my work emails with

Magneto was right,

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

huge swaths of the internet watch The Boys and come away with unironic admiration for Homelander as the secret hero of the story. We are all in our bubbles now. X-Men 97 is great, but it's a work of social commentary, not an act of intervention. It won't get through to anyone who isn't already on the same side.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xealot posted:

Yes, definitely. Which is perfect: "America First" isn't racist, "protecting women" isn't transphobic, "stopping groomers" isn't anti-queer. Unless you pay attention for even one moment. Reactionary, genocidal far-right bullshit always plays that rhetorical game, so it follows it'd be sold as such here. That and the stochastic terrorist sleeper agent stuff just 100% nails the on-the-nose political allegory of X-Men. "We're just trying to protect humanity," so here's this concerted, hate-based effort by "anxious" everyday folks who've been weaponized by extremists to eradicate an undesirable minority, while institutions believe the lie that the perpetrators are victims and the targets struck first.

Honestly, I have no notes. This show is nailing it.

Thats how you sell bigotry to the masses these day, you're not anti-whatever, but pro whatever the status quo is. Even something that could be seen as good, such as pro children is twisted in that it becomes "to protect children you must protect them against all threats, including imagined ones we made up"

Also Roberto's mom being the worst kind of Hillary lib, i'll have a fancy gala for those poor people far away, but my own son? Yes you go with the cops, they just want to help.

Roberto's powers in full use looked great.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The Grumbles posted:

huge swaths of the internet watch The Boys and come away with unironic admiration for Homelander as the secret hero of the story. We are all in our bubbles now. X-Men 97 is great, but it's a work of social commentary, not an act of intervention. It won't get through to anyone who isn't already on the same side.

Perhaps I'm just lucky or don't hang out with weirdos but I have never seen a single person seriously claim Homelander is remotely heroic. At best, all I've seen is sympathy for the hosed up way he was raised that ensured he never had a chance but that's it, the man he became is a monster through and through.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Perhaps I'm just lucky or don't hang out with weirdos but I have never seen a single person seriously claim Homelander is remotely heroic. At best, all I've seen is sympathy for the hosed up way he was raised that ensured he never had a chance but that's it, the man he became is a monster through and through.

That's what I'm saying - you don't hang out with those people, but they're out there, hanging out with each other. We are all siloed off culturally.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Zemo.

VA is even doing a passable Daniel Bruhl.

This is the only thing a bit annoying about the show, I couldn't give a single shitdribble about connecting anything with the MCU, including Cable who had a kickin' rad OG voice and whose current Brolin impression just sounds tranquilized. Keep that old and busted out of my new hotness, tia

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sentinel Red posted:

Reddit, youtube and all the usual social media sites are filled with them. All the people who think Andrew Tate is something to aspire to be.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

The Grumbles posted:

I said non-zero. I didn’t say this cartoon was saving the world. Non-zero means like a very tiny number.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I think that number is probably zero is what I'm saying. Still a great cartoon.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

People are really good at watching moving images on television and not doing any kind of reflection or analysis. People who post on message boards are weirdos! For a huge chunk of the population, thoughtful intelligent people even!, "what was that movie/episode of television about" is a question that will get answered by a straight recitation of the plot, not by trying to unpack themes or messages.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

The Grumbles posted:

I think that number is probably zero is what I'm saying. Still a great cartoon.

If you live in a world where people are incapable of growth and change, that’s your deal. That’s what I’m saying.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

If you live in a world where people are incapable of growth and change, that’s your deal. That’s what I’m saying.

I'd like to drop this now, but of course everyone is capable of growth and change. It's really fantastic that you find the series inspiring from a social politics standpoint - and it's a huge achievement on the part of the show that it is able to feel inspiring and genuine in that regard without also feeling compromised or tokenistic like a lot of other Disney efforts.

But that's what I mean when I say that although it is social commentary, it's just not an intervention for anyone with bigoted views. For anyone to have that moment of realisation in the mirror that you described earlier, you have to actively engage with people (i.e., intervene) to change their minds on the big stuff. A cool cartoon with smart dialogue that occasionally touches on the politics of modern civil rights is sadly not that active engagement.

You also have to remember that X-Men stories have been doing this in some form since the very beginning. I think X-Men as a series in general is very good at helping people (especially younger people) who are marginalised in some form navigating all the complexities of what that means, and feeling like they're not alone in their experiences of marginalisation. But it doesn't work as a means to change the tides - probably because it is allegorical and not explicit. Even after all this time, those people with 'bad politics' have also internalised as part of those bad politics the idea that it's just people forcing a liberal agenda onto entertainment who say that x-men is an allegory for racism/othering/marginalisation.

I dont mean to be a huge downer or burst your bubble here. It's just that the audience for all that sharp dialogue about the world today simply isn't those people and isn't what will change them (its us). I think if you sat down with your weirdo bigoted uncle and made him watch X-Men 97 and then talked to him about his politics it would end badly.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 2, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Theo James is doing a really strong Neal McDonough impression

It was driving me nuts trying to figure out why his voice sounded so familiar, turns out he voiced Hector in Castlevania. He's got a great VA voice.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

The Grumbles posted:

I'd like to drop this now,

I agree and stopped reading there.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

BizarroAzrael posted:

]

As far as I've watched in the og show recently it seems to have been made some sort of ethnic/sectarian conflict in Europe instead, he meets Xavier in the aftermath of the war there instead of Isreal and get jumped by bandits which causes Magneto to go full villain before Xavier finally drives him off. I think later that's retconned to actually have been the aftermath of WWII instead of like the Balkans or something and the bandits were Nazi remnants but I've no idea when that happens. The show seemed to have play pretty fast and loose with continuity

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

McSpanky posted:

This is the only thing a bit annoying about the show, I couldn't give a single shitdribble about connecting anything with the MCU, including Cable who had a kickin' rad OG voice and whose current Brolin impression just sounds tranquilized. Keep that old and busted out of my new hotness, tia

He's not doing a Brolin impression, at least to my ears. Also, Cable's voice actor is the OG Gambit Chris Potter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Also

MAGNETO WAS RIGHT!