Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

raverrn posted:

There are absolutely ways to differentiate the HMG, but they didn't do any of them. Make it require a backpack, give it 500 rounds and 1 magazine, boom it's a monster but only in sprints, and limits you atop. I'd field the gently caress out of that.

Yeah, I feel like giving it a backpack would be the best way to balance out otherwise buffing it. Personally I'd make the buffs more like, just double the magazine size and reduce the recoil a good deal.

As for the new warbond, I find it kinda funny how they introduced the Adjudicator, which was touted as a marksman rifle but then they relented like "ok yeah it's actually just a heavier hitting, smaller capacity assault rifle"... and now they're introducing a NEW heavier hitting, smaller capacity assault rifle. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Colorspray posted:

The machine gun sentry is worthless

Not the gatling, the machine gun made pointless by the gatling

I actually prefer the MG Sentry to the Gatling because they both do roughly the same job, but the Gatling thirsts for Helldiver blood and will murderize anything its gaze passes over in pursuit of its job. Meanwhile, the MG Sentry is much less likely to kill you or your teammates as its sweeping across the battlefield because there are actual gaps in its firing arc, but it still makes enemies just as dead.

Same reason why I prefer the basic Guard Dog to the Laser Dog. Sure, it's ammo-constrained but it does not hurt me or my teammates anywhere near as much as the Laser Dog does while still doing just as fine a job.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Does the HMG just suck or what? It has like no ammo, runs empty instantly and takes 6 years to reload.

Somebody on YouTube did an effort video on it, and the main difference is that the HMG has the highest pen level (I believe it's Medium 2, as opposed to Medium 1 for the MG) among the MGs. What this means in practice is that it does full damage to Devastators, Hive Guard, and other Medium-armored enemies because its penetration value exceeds their armor value. The MG, on the other hand, only deals half damage to Medium-armored enemies because its penetration value only matches their armor value.

So against these targets, the recommendation of high-RPM burst fire is pretty good because the HMG will indiscriminately shred the poo poo out of them regardless of where you hit much faster than any of your other MG options. Slower, sustained fire is better for hordes because of its overkill potential and lower ammo reserves, on top of being easier to manage the recoil for said purpose.

It is also much more efficient when resupplied. It will replenish all of its clips from a resupply whereas the MG will only replenish 1 clip per supply box, so it actually pairs really nicely with a Supply Pack.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah Im not sure what this guns role will be. Just lower the Adjudicators recoil a bit more imo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LuiCypher posted:

Same reason why I prefer the basic Guard Dog to the Laser Dog. Sure, it's ammo-constrained but it does not hurt me or my teammates anywhere near as much as the Laser Dog does while still doing just as fine a job.

until it dumps its remaining 120 rounds into a charger or fabricator or rock and then it's significantly worse

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

turn off the TV posted:

until it dumps its remaining 120 rounds into a charger or fabricator or rock and then it's significantly worse

Gatling is no different?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah Im not sure what this guns role will be. Just lower the Adjudicators recoil a bit more imo

I mean I'll gladly have different guns that have basically the same role but just with ~*vibes*~ differences. But I'm a gun hoarder in games, I love having a big arsenal of guns that I'll just pick one from according to my mood, like some fashionista considering which pair of shoes they'll wear for the day.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I played the hell out of this game for the first month or so but overall fairly dissapointed
with a few directions its taken.

I genuinely have no appetite for endless number tweaking and balance patches, its a loving co-op PvE game that doesnt even really have a whole lot of precise damage needs or serious endgame so I dont really understand the point of nerfing stuff, especially the more micro numbers and macro changes like cutting entire ammo capacities in half. Playtest your poo poo maybe? I really do not get why several guns have already been balance yoyoed. Among other difficulty balance stuff like patrol increases, etc Im finding myself more and more frustrated playing.

I get the sense its already started to sort of take the direction of balancing the game to cater towards the most hardcore players.

Im also kinda annoyed at the amount of premium warbonds theyve added already. $40 has quickly turned into $70+ and even when I was playing a ton, SC was pretty sparce in the game and certainly a grind to get 1k.

Ill probably come back in a few months or more to see if theyve managed to somehwhat finish their games balance and added a new free warbond but as of now Im definitely putting this game down. Good game that seems to be already falling into annoying Live Service traps.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The furtive liberator continues to be the only weapon I can authoritatively say is good in every situation, but great in none, and I bring it on most missions.

- It doesn't have great armor penetration but you can place the shots reliably enough to take down devastators and brood commanders and whatever you feel like blasting
- It reloads quickly enough and you definitely don't have to do anything weird. It also has more than enough ammo capacity and refills with a single ammo box
- It has multiple firing modes and a flashlight
- It is, paired with the senator, my favorite gun
- It doesn't do poo poo against the biggest boys but that's why Super God invented stratagems and EATs

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I personally think of the HMG as more comparable to the autocannon than anything.

Cons:

Longer reload, less total ammo
Less per shot damage
Not explosive
Worse long range accuracy
Can't kill fabs and holes

Pros:

No backpack slot
Not explosive, so you can use it at point blank
More shots between reloads
Better burst dps at short range

So no, I don't think it should get a backpack.

It's the MMG that currently doesn't have a clear use. Once you've learned to tap fire, HMG is actually better than it in basically every way except handling (which again is something you can get used to). Yes, even ammo conservation, because a single burst from the MMG is many more shots than the HMG - and still does less damage. And reload times are actually quite close between the two.

Compared to the Stalwart, there's very few enemies that the MMG can kill that the Stalwart cannot, and the ones it can kill it can't actually kill effectively. I mean it takes a mag and a half to down a gunship (vs about a third of a mag for the HMG)! Meanwhile you're paying the massive price of having a long stationary reload.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 2, 2024

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

AccountSupervisor posted:

I played the hell out of this game for the first month or so but overall fairly dissapointed

I genuinely have no appetite for endless number tweaking and balance patches, its a loving co-op PvE game that doesnt even really have a whole lot of precise damage needs or serious endgame so I dont really understand the point of nerfing stuff, especially the more micro numbers and macro changes like cutting entire ammo capacities in half. Playtest your poo poo maybe? I really do not get why several guns have already been balance yoyoed. Among other difficulty balance stuff like patrol increases, etc Im finding myself more and more frustrated playing.

I get the sense its already started to sort of take the direction of balancing the game to cater towards the most hardcore players.

Im also kinda annoyed at the amount of premium warbonds theyve added already. $40 has quickly turned into $70+ and even when I was playing a ton, SC was pretty sparce in the game and certainly a grind to get 1k.

Ill probably come back in a few months or more to see if theyve managed to somehwhat finish their games balance and added a new free warbond but as of now Im definitely putting this game down. Good game that seems to be already falling into annoying Live Service traps.

ok

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cool

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

The rest of the post I truncated is opinion and I can respect that even if I don't agree with it but this part quoted above is very wrong.

If you actually play the game you earn the currency for the warbonds and don't have to spend cash at all.

I have one set of warbond armor and helmet, I have not bought any premium currency and I'm sitting on 1500 ish super bucks after having all three warbonds unlocked. A week from today Ill spend 1000 on the new warbond and then I'll get 300 super bucks back in that warbond and have almost enough for next months.

I only play like an hour or so a day on average if I had to guess? Maybe a little more on weekends?

If you aren't playing the game then you aren't earning premium currency. But if you are the game is pretty generous with it. I'm only level 55 or so.

There's no reason at all to buy premium currency unless you want to.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

They've already said there's going to be a new warbond every month for the foreseeable future. Fortunately, the stuff in the basic warbond is good and will probably always be good.

You can play the $40 game you bought and get all the new mission types, enemies, stratagems, ship upgrades for free. Pretty good deal, honestly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want to give them money because I play this game a lot and I like that the devs are actively breaking nerds’ brains

Also I get cool new toys I guess but mostly it’s about that brain-breaking

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Nordick posted:

Yeah, I feel like giving it a backpack would be the best way to balance out otherwise buffing it. Personally I'd make the buffs more like, just double the magazine size and reduce the recoil a good deal.

As for the new warbond, I find it kinda funny how they introduced the Adjudicator, which was touted as a marksman rifle but then they relented like "ok yeah it's actually just a heavier hitting, smaller capacity assault rifle"... and now they're introducing a NEW heavier hitting, smaller capacity assault rifle. :v:

Dandywalken posted:

Going against the grain here and saying it's going to be a high damage, but light armour pen weapon. The Adjudicator's blog post description explicitly touts its AP nature as a selling point while this new gun does not.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into brief blog post descriptions that were probably written up in like 5 minutes, that's possible too

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Balance tweaks will and should never finish imo. I think they're good for the long term life of the game, assuming they don't do things like buff new gear so people buy it then nerf it again, which they haven't done at all yet. In fact a lot of the new stuff tends to be a little meh.

You also don't need to spend any money and by the time you actually have the medals to finish out the first warbond you probably have enough SCs to buy another. That's what happened to me, at least. I bet moving forward I can't buy them on release for free without grinding a lot but I can't bring myself to see that as a big deal yet. Maybe if there's some sort of crucial gear they stick in there later? So far though nope.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

JonBolds posted:

Haha they’re gonna do the thing where not getting slowed down in snow is a paid feature AGAIN

There is a booster in the default warbond that prevents mud/snow from slowing you down.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So I have a UI question. At one point when I toggled my map, I could see the samples count (X/Y Commons, A/B Rares, etc). I rejiggered some settings at one point I think and now I can't anymore. I have had the Settings option "Sample Visibility" set to both Visible and Dynamic since then, but it still doesn't show the Samples count. Is that little counter tied to something else? I know it still exists, because my buddy has it on his, but we're stumped on what setting I need to enable/disable

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Can bought Super Citizen recently? As of a few months ago you didn't get 1k SC to purchase a different warbond if you already owned Steeled Veterans, if anyone knows if that changed I'd appreciate a reply :tipshat:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dren posted:

if you’re standing by the arrival doing an emote, the interact button for the emote is the same button as “return to ship alone” so they’re probably kicking themselves. do the emote at the top of the stairs.

poo poo, that's probably it, didn't even consider that. :lmao:

I could've sworn it happened even by the mission console with the first guy, but it happened right after launch, so he just just wrote it off as a bug on his end and refrained from emoting on ships since.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

I've only played this game for 100 hours and I have two of the three premium warbonds unlocked without ever spending any real money. So lol, and also lmao, @ whining about having to spend money.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mercenarynuker posted:

So I have a UI question. At one point when I toggled my map, I could see the samples count (X/Y Commons, A/B Rares, etc). I rejiggered some settings at one point I think and now I can't anymore. I have had the Settings option "Sample Visibility" set to both Visible and Dynamic since then, but it still doesn't show the Samples count. Is that little counter tied to something else? I know it still exists, because my buddy has it on his, but we're stumped on what setting I need to enable/disable

Your compass isn't set to Wide, is it?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
In terms of staleness, I'm perfectly content running around on a slow-paced level 5 40-minute mission hoovering up super credits and medals. Once that gets stale, I start a cocaine helicopter motorcycle skydive - one of the 12-minute blitzes on 8-9.

Then the cycle can repeat with the other faction! Yesterday with pubbies we even found the cockrock's samples because a pubbie randomly set off a busted hellbomb. The light illuminated the rock through all the fog.

Democracy provides.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Weird for anyone to get bent out of shape on number changes up and down from frequent patches, there are poor gamers out there that haven't seen a patch on their favorite games for YEARS, they would kill for that 5% stat adjustment! some people don't know how good they have it.

In seriousness though it isn't a bad thing to have a shakeup when the meta has been "solved" and everyone is just bringing railgun/breaker/shield every single game and it isn't even worth considering the other options outside of a self challenge.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
There should be a new bug mission where you have to go inside the bug tunnels and not have access to stratagems.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

wait how did you even end up buying every warbond for money? the default warbond gives you 600 for free and the other ones refund 400. you should have gotten one free with SC left over?

like, i've never farmed in this game and i did not have trouble unlocking two warbonds from just playing, i'm curious what's going on here

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There should be a new bug mission where you have to go inside the bug tunnels and not have access to stratagems.

Flamethrower's time to shine

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

they did that in starship troopers it kinda sucked assss

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Did a level 7 yesterday where we dropped next to a jammer which was within range of a gunship factory. People would die, ping 'reinforce me' and quit within about 5 seconds. One time I said 'I'm running to where I can reinforce you!" and the guy dropped anyway. Everyone dropped apart from me, I threw a beacon, we got some great guys and won even though I died right at the end. Do people not find adversity fun, or something?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

redreader posted:

Did a level 7 yesterday where we dropped next to a jammer which was within range of a gunship factory. People would die, ping 'reinforce me' and quit within about 5 seconds. One time I said 'I'm running to where I can reinforce you!" and the guy dropped anyway. Everyone dropped apart from me, I threw a beacon, we got some great guys and won even though I died right at the end. Do people not find adversity fun, or something?

Eh if running full inhouse that sounds fun. But if just a pub group Id prob assume a failure cascade is imminent too

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

When you hit the reinforcement reminder button, does the notification go only to the person you're spectating or to all living players?

I assumed it was only the spectated player, but if it's everyone I should start calling out names to bring me in near my kit if it's something I care about.

It goes to everyone. Quite a few times I've had two divers waiting to resupply and they all jiggle. I'm sure that it's not just that everyone spectates me 100% of the time.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TRAITOR DETECTED

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the only thing i agree with in this post is that Arrowhead should probably release a new free warbond at some point because it will be a bad look a year from now for a new player to log in and see 12 paid warbonds to their one free one

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

...and the other ones refund 400...

100 once each page, 3 pages.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Fun fact: Gatling sentry has 3x the ammo of MG sentry but fires a little more than twice as fast, so theoretically it actually lasts longer. It's probably true it wastes more rounds though so it might be a wash.

Doubling the MG Sentry's ammo would be a reasonable move, I think.

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing I've found is that the most effective weapons against Berserkers are the various kinds of machinegun. Gatling sentries, HMGs, Stalwarts, whatever. Autocannons will deal with them just like they will anything else the bots can throw at you, but they're curiously ammo-inefficient against 'zerkers.
That's because the AC has around 2000 damage per reload (5 rounds) while the Stalwart has 15,000. Even the HMG has 7,500.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm excited as hell for the mini-quasar and the new assault rifle :hellyeah:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Its still trivial (heh) to farm SC on trivial maps, takes no time at all, or you can just play the game normally and get SC. I havent paid for a warbond and I've got them all plus most of the superstore armor/helmets and still have ~3500 SC and i havent even got the SC from most of the new warbonds cuz I dont need to spend the medals yet.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

As an air raider gently caress you.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Jerkface posted:

Its still trivial (heh) to farm SC on trivial maps, takes no time at all, or you can just play the game normally and get SC.

yeah just on a whim i wandered through a couple random level 1s and 2s just now and came away with 50SC after maybe like half an hour? i'm sure you could be more efficient about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

This... is how the first game is. Have you played the first game? Helldivers 2 is basically a FPS remake of HD1 with some minor tweaks to game design. Definitely take a break if its not fun though

Jerkface posted:

Its still trivial (heh) to farm SC on trivial maps, takes no time at all, or you can just play the game normally and get SC. I havent paid for a warbond and I've got them all plus most of the superstore armor/helmets and still have ~3500 SC and i havent even got the SC from most of the new warbonds cuz I dont need to spend the medals yet.

I paid them :10bux: after I bought the game since it was so fun, I still have 2500 premium bux and I'm maxed out on everything but most importantly, Still having fun

redreader posted:

You are a model citizen of democracy, continue being rad af :hellyeah: Dropping next to jammer / gunships is one of the more stressful combos