Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

AARO my balls, lmaooo haha.

Those dudes suck. Just burn the programs. You can still hoover tons of government subsidies with this bullshit out in the open. Its literally called aerospace.

Also I'm gonna get out of this world with some music tonight around 10pm EST https://www.youtube.com/live/UzZsA4PgV-Y?si=Fz7gaekgWF3VnmWh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Bird thread, I have a problem. I'm engaged in a war of nerves with one of our birds.

Dawn, our smart budgerigar, has a problem. When she decides it is time to molt, she figures it's better to do all of her feathers at once. This puts her body under a lot of stress, which is a problem as she appears to have megabac in her gut that, when her body is busy molting, she can't really fight off and so she starts to lose weight very quickly. But we can counteract that with millet, as that appears to be the only thing that she's able to digest. After about a week of isolation and millet, she's over the worst of it and she starts returning to her normal weight and attitude. We've done this two or three times by now, and it's fine. We used medication the first few times it happened but it made no overall difference to her condition or how quickly she recovered (and the first time she got medicine shot down her throat she looked like she'd just come back from war -- you ever seen a bird stare into the distance, eyes wide?)

Except Dawn is smart. And this time, after a week of millet whenever she wanted it, it appears that she's decided that going back to pellets is unacceptable. I'm pretty sure she doesn't touch them at all. She starts harassing me for seed if I open the cage. I've been giving her a little bit of seed in the morning to ensure she's eating something, but I think she sees that as winning and, so, she'll just wait for a little bit of seed. I think she'd cut off her beak to spite her face, and I can respect that. I've tried mixing seeds in with pellets (or chop mix) and she just picks the seeds out. If the other birds are eating pellets, she doesn't join them, and she won't eat them out of my hand (picks them up, drops them, complains.) I'm pretty sure Dawn knows that I won't let her starve herself, which means we're basically playing chicken, and I think she's winning.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Bird thread, I have a problem. I'm engaged in a war of nerves with one of our birds.

Dawn, our smart budgerigar, has a problem. When she decides it is time to molt, she figures it's better to do all of her feathers at once. This puts her body under a lot of stress, which is a problem as she appears to have megabac in her gut that, when her body is busy molting, she can't really fight off and so she starts to lose weight very quickly. But we can counteract that with millet, as that appears to be the only thing that she's able to digest. After about a week of isolation and millet, she's over the worst of it and she starts returning to her normal weight and attitude. We've done this two or three times by now, and it's fine. We used medication the first few times it happened but it made no overall difference to her condition or how quickly she recovered (and the first time she got medicine shot down her throat she looked like she'd just come back from war -- you ever seen a bird stare into the distance, eyes wide?)

Except Dawn is smart. And this time, after a week of millet whenever she wanted it, it appears that she's decided that going back to pellets is unacceptable. I'm pretty sure she doesn't touch them at all. She starts harassing me for seed if I open the cage. I've been giving her a little bit of seed in the morning to ensure she's eating something, but I think she sees that as winning and, so, she'll just wait for a little bit of seed. I think she'd cut off her beak to spite her face, and I can respect that. I've tried mixing seeds in with pellets (or chop mix) and she just picks the seeds out. If the other birds are eating pellets, she doesn't join them, and she won't eat them out of my hand (picks them up, drops them, complains.) I'm pretty sure Dawn knows that I won't let her starve herself, which means we're basically playing chicken, and I think she's winning.

you should really post this in the actual bird thread if you’re looking for advice

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513778&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

but honestly i’m not sure what else you can do except keep making sure she has pellets and or chop or something at all times and the occasional millet

as seeds go, millet at least isn’t a super fatty option but i understand worrying about nutrition

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

is it maybe too warm? i am basing this off nothing other than what i do when i get infuriated by the heat i didnt notice until it was too hot

in other news i have started feeding the local murder and they are starting to take to me i think! there is an actual murder of crows and various other hanger ons, smaller birds
its hard to decipher crow caws but the ones i have noticed seeing me see them and put food out seem to have a different caw when they see me after a week or so of semi regular bird treats

i love how the crows walk, like WWE superstars all buff and poo poo but they have a lot going on in their head. they are still wary of me...one or two may feed but others watch and then they swap. learning not to make eye contact with them and radiate welcome and trust, fun and very rewarding stuff!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

According to AARO this highly classified video doesn't exist and is of an escaped lighting balloon.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

gonna fire up the ol' twitter machine so you don't have to:

https://twitter.com/uapcaucus/status/1785029421914841486
https://twitter.com/GarryPNolan/status/1785904564576628884
https://twitter.com/ChrisKMellon/status/1785775248534577242
https://twitter.com/rosscoulthart/status/1785795872682619151
https://twitter.com/MvonRen/status/1785755414883455205

some new black tech?
https://twitter.com/Cortex_Zero/status/1785875573698404745

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://twitter.com/ChrisUKSharp/status/1785998204472816106

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

:thunkgun:

https://twitter.com/UAPinvestigatio/status/1785853182758785234

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Someday in the distant future, our children's children will find a file buried deep in a drawer, and in that file will be name after name of people who never got as far as "threatening to talk" before they were extrajudicially murdered for the sake of "national security"

and guys like Lue and Coulthart would say the people that did the murdering were just good patriots doing their job

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 14:19 on May 2, 2024

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
idk, I have a hard time reconciling why Grusch is alive if that's the case.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the boeing whistleblower died of pneumonia-related sepsis. it would be interesting to see whether the original pneumonia was responsible for the breathing difficulties that sent him to the hospital in the first place of course

none of this matters for boeing imo because they’ve long since passed the point where the government should rip the company from their revolting little paws and put the entire management structure in prison

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Christ, they invented a pneumonia gun...

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hit em with the sepsis ray

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

he didn't die of pneumonia, he died with pneumonia

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I looked it up and the last time a 45 year old died of pneumonia was 1867.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That's just what they want you to think

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

sharknado slashfic posted:

Nuforc added a bunch of new reports

https://nuforc.org/post240428/

quote:

April 12, 2024, at 21:56, Navarre, Florida: A mysterious, triangle-shaped object was observed by three military witnesses. This black, camouflaged craft, slightly larger than a commercial Airbus, exhibited unusual behavior and advanced capabilities. It hovered silently at an altitude of 8,000 feet, adorned with 16 lights that mimicked starlight, blending seamlessly into the night sky. Despite moving slowly, the object quickly exited the viewers’ line of sight without traversing the horizon, instead appearing to ascend directly into orbit. The sighting, which lasted about 35 seconds, originated south-southeast of the observers and moved westbound from Air Force Special Operations Command Hurlburt Field. The event was promptly reported to Hurlburt Field Security Forces to ensure both public and military safety

Classic black triangle even exhibiting the so-called "star field camouflage". The description of the craft rapidly moving away, and not over the horizon, is extremely interesting. The association with Air Force Special Operations Command is also highly suspect.

The description of the craft ascending but not crossing the horizon is very suggestive. If it were moving on a normal aircraft flight pattern it would have to cross the horizon eventually. Witness suggests this means it "went into orbit" but that is a bit of an assumption. It's possible that the craft used some of its camouflage to effect the appearance, but it still sounds like an unusual flight pattern. If it truly did rise up from essentially ground level to space in seconds, then it's absolutely 100% new physics at work.

I just wonder, if this is some sort of air force craft, then it has been around for decades. And that means personnel and support, supply chains, manufacturers, pilots, ATC, base commanders, just shitloads of people who work with this craft. There's someone who goes to work on the base, where 99% of his fellow students and colleagues now fly C-130s or F-18s, and he secretly gets into this secret antigravity triangle and flies to the secret moon base and back, and then he has to go home and tell his family that he just test flies the new B-22 or something. It doesn't make sense.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sepsis is very bad for your health

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Rickshaw posted:

I just wonder, if this is some sort of air force craft, then it has been around for decades. And that means personnel and support, supply chains, manufacturers, pilots, ATC, base commanders, just shitloads of people who work with this craft. There's someone who goes to work on the base, where 99% of his fellow students and colleagues now fly C-130s or F-18s, and he secretly gets into this secret antigravity triangle and flies to the secret moon base and back, and then he has to go home and tell his family that he just test flies the new B-22 or something. It doesn't make sense.

crossing the threads but imo assuming it’s one of ours the hypothetical pilot walks in a room for preflight and the commander goes “okay folks alpha pincushion 18 yankee,” the gateway tapes kick in, and as far as the pilots know they are flying the new B-22. then you just do the reverse for the debrief and hope to god no one forgets a step in the process for idk 70 years or so. oh yeah and make sure you follow this for every person up and down the chain lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bilirubin posted:

Sepsis is very bad for your health

I won't stand for this kind of woke propaganda

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

actually that's just what Big Sepsis wants you to think

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Good luck taking away my sepsis buddy

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://twitter.com/TheUfoJoe/status/1786050694157647908?t=enZycXXif4qX7uWXGEZD1g&s=19

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://twitter.com/TheUfoJoe/status/1786050339634139478?t=M6A_nonr-DmgkYiwzHV8uQ&s=19

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I don't give a poo poo Garry

show me the god damned aliens

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If you've lost UFO Joe you've lost the masses

Sorrry Garry, seems like you got on the grrift trrain a little too late

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

lol
https://twitter.com/wow36932525/status/1786062730392125940

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

no better way to make celebs NOT want to follow you. good work

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Radar has been compromised to a permanent end 🫡

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Just a blank image lol Twitter is falling apart

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WaPo is covering the subject of children who remember past lives
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2024/05/02/children-past-lives/

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you've lost UFO Joe you've lost the masses

Sorrry Garry, seems like you got on the grrift trrain a little too late

I think he is agreeing with Garry there

UFO Joe does a lot of good work but he's also a bit of a credulous moron

Much like everyone in UFO world

Me too

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Sleekly posted:

in other news i have started feeding the local murder and they are starting to take to me i think! there is an actual murder of crows and various other hanger ons, smaller birds
its hard to decipher crow caws but the ones i have noticed seeing me see them and put food out seem to have a different caw when they see me after a week or so of semi regular bird treats

It's really cool when you can understand birdsong. I still remember how when my cat picked a goldfinch off a feeder they immediately changed their tune (and unfortunately did not return to the feeder that summer). There's also a video of that guy picking up a duck and all the other ducks do a different quack that clearly translates to "oh poo poo"

Congrats on your outreach efforts to non-human sentient beings!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://x.com/MvonRen/status/1785507845011906666

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao those tweets make garry look like a greedy dipshit

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm an independently wealthy and renowned inventor/academic with information that could unite society
b-b-but my professional connections

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nolan did say conclusively that interacting with the phenomenon gives you visible brain damage so maybe that's why everyone that makes it to the inner circle starts acting like a loving moron scrambling to close the gate behind them

but far more likely they just succumbed to our basest nature which is "I hated everyone on top until I got there but I gotta say, this view is pretty nice, let's maybe not be too hasty to change things after all"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've had dreams where a non-human intelligence is reckoning with the fact their method of choice for guiding humans - basically possession - causes dementia. just, literally, dementia. same process that happens in old people, it just starts sooner and gets more aggressive if you end up being a puppet

i never gave it serious thought, just one of those persistent details in the lore of my dream - there's a ton of this stuff so i don't put a ton of stock in it - but now i'm wondering lol because that part of my brain obviously wonders if some of these Powerful People are under the influence of non-human entities.

The rational read is just too compelling i guess? Like people say a lot in their public platforms that just don't fly for the guys who actually run the country - I remember bill clinton, demon spawn that he is, whining that the fed had the power to "veto" any agenda he set by more or less deliberately destroying the economy under him if he did stuff they didn't like - that always seemed to be the real thing? right?

but also lol "Interacting with the phenomenon gives you brain damage" adds up so well with what I've seen in those experiences, if you start from possession and get more insane from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Garry Nolan hosed an alien