Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

MrLogan posted:

Weird coincidence it happened when Tesla cut their referral program to the bone.

Where are you seeing the Polestar 2 for $300/month with 1k down?

The Polestar website. You have to be a Costco member, otherwise it’s 3K down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Blink sucks

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

drk posted:

Yeah, it looks like a mess to me too even though I dont know much about wiring. But I'm not sure I really want to spend several thousand dollars to replace it just for the convenience of charging faster at home. Fortunately I dont drive a ton, so in the ~month I've had an EV, I've charged maybe 10kWh at home and have yet to be below 50% charge.

That top bit isn't code compliant, so it may be worth it as a "thing I'll have to do before I sell anyways" item, but I doubt many home inspectors would catch it. FD is going to pull your meter to kill power in a fire anyways, so I don't see a lot of value in that particular code requirement.

It's perfectly fine if done correctly*, because split phase voltage is 180⁰ out of phase, so if you have 15A of 120V resistive load on each branch, the sum current on the neutral will be 0A. Practically, MWBCs are basically dead in residential applications because commonly available AFCI and GFCI breakers aren't compatible with them.

I ran into a few situations in early aughts computer centers where the neutral for MEBCs was upsized (they made specific metallic clad cables for it), because the power factor for all the capacitive power supplies was bad enough that it completely hosed everything up, and you could run into situations where the phase angle was advanced enough that the return current on 3Ø systems was additive instead of subtractive.

*They're seldom done correctly when idiots start loving with them. Cool feature of MWBCs is that if you have a circuit with, say, 10A of space heaters on it, another with 1A of extremely expensive TV, and you cut the neutral at the panel, the whole thing turns into a giant series circuit, dropping 216V across the TV, and 34V across the incandescent bulbs, smoking your TV.

Also fun fact, your entire house is run off of a giant 60-200A MWBC, and that same thing can happen to all of your electronics** if the neutral breaks at the pole.

** if you have bad local grounding, and your electronics don't have a 100-240V switch-mode power supply.

drk posted:

Since I've been hinting about buying an EV, I will pay the OP tax by posting a pic of the new car in its natural home: an awkwardly located charger that required installing yet another app

gently caress Yeah Blue Leaf!

64 or 40 kWh battery? How do you find the new gen? What made you choose it over a Bolt?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

drk posted:

Since I've been hinting about buying an EV, I will pay the OP tax by posting a pic of the new car in its natural home: an awkwardly located charger that required installing yet another app

are they ever going to make it so you can charge a car without needing to install an app

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

grahm posted:

Is it possible to be a Costco member without ever setting foot anywhere near a Costco, and does it matter if you cancel it 10 minutes after leasing the car?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Finger Prince posted:

Is it possible to be a Costco member without ever setting foot anywhere near a Costco, and does it matter if you cancel it 10 minutes after leasing the car?

you have to go to a costco to finalize the membership

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZOjcfY2bqI

500e are hitting stateside, with a very barebone starter spec tho. I think not even fleet models didn't have adaptive cruise stock here.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Shipon posted:

are they ever going to make it so you can charge a car without needing to install an app
This is the dumbest thing about EV ownership for me, so far. In the UK there's Octopus Energy (utility provider) that has an app called Electroverse which is meant to be a single platform for using a whole host of chargers from different networks. But it seems like most charger networks still haven't opened their API to that shared platform. At some point I'm pretty sure it's going to require legislation to force them all to have an open API. Then things will shuffle out so you can just have one app to access any charger.
Not holding my breath, though.

On the supercharger chat, it sucks that they shuttered that department and it does make me worry about ongoing supercharger availability. It's a big selling point for the cars, obviously. Then again I would hope the infrastructure is valuable enough that either they will maintain it or they'll sell it off to someone who will. I could understand from a business point of view why the whole division was likely a very significant loss-leader which has probably already done its job in terms of making sure that you can get from A to B on big road trips. Also in the UK at least there are quite a lot of chargers around these days, albeit I don't know how many are fast chargers (I've only seen one set of 150kW rated non-tesla fast chargers so far, but then again I haven't been looking).

We had our first supercharger experience the other day on the way back from our road trip and it was awesome. Though the car only started charging at 150kW, I think we might have been too close to others that were charging.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

istg if gas cars were invented today you'd need a different app for every gas station

just fuckin take the money, gently caress your app

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Electroverse has recently launched in Italy but the prices are bad so it's not getting much traction. Italy ev ownership requires you to get nextcharge (which is a platform that let people and firms publish their own chargers) along with lots of physical rfid cards (since their apps are finicky as gently caress). Tesla superchargers are decent and mostly unused so their network going away is bad but not tragic, there are lot of players that would purchase their sites the moment they start to sell them.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
All new chargers installed after April 13 2024 in the EU must accept card payment, and from 2027 existing chargers need to be modified to accept cards. gently caress all them apps.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The apps will still be 20% cheaper than credit cards so will install them :(

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

grahm posted:

Let me make sure I have the math right on this.

Car would be $52k after adding plus pack for the heat pump and a color.

Then -$10k for lease discounts and another $2k for Costco membership drops it to $40k.

I'd do my trade in & pay taxes, registration, etc. Let's say those end up being a wash for simplicities sake.

I could then immediately buy out the car for $40k with a loan from my credit union?

That seems more tempting given the updates for 2024 than buying a CPO 2022 for $32k.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Cactus Ghost posted:

istg if gas cars were invented today you'd need a different app for every gas station

just fuckin take the money, gently caress your app

Can't attract venture capitalist money without collecting/selling user data and attempting to lock users in as much as possible.

Reminds me of an episode of the Canadian version of shark tank called Dragons Den where someone had a website that lets users customize children's books to match skin colour, family size etc. it was already turning a profit, they just wanted money to revamp the website or something and all the VC people looked bored out of their minds until the person mentioned this also lets them collect a lot of info about family composition and other personal details they could sell to advertisers and suddenly every one of the 'dragons' sat to attention and was very intrigued by this business opportunity.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

MrLogan posted:

I could then immediately buy out the car for $40k with a loan from my credit union?

leases let you do that?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Cactus Ghost posted:

leases let you do that?

I think I can recall some Kia buyers doing that in this thread not long ago. They'd buy out the lease after the first month's payment.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why not wait until the lease period comes to an end and then decide whether or not to buy the car?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I think I can recall some Kia buyers doing that in this thread not long ago. They'd buy out the lease after the first month's payment.
For those I think you had/have to lease to get the tax incentive.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

On a road trip to get a steak sandwich. Welcome to beautiful Hawthorne NV.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

bird with big dick posted:

On a road trip to get a steak sandwich. Welcome to beautiful Hawthorne NV.

Exciting! I can't wait for my big road trip in August.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finger Prince posted:

You'd have the membership for the whole year anyway.

I really recommend going through Costco for car purchases. The lack of any haggling was a fantastic experience.

Also, I'd recommend checking out car or home insurance too. I saved 900/year going through them compared to every other insurer I could find outside of them for my car insurance, which obviously pays for the membership more than 10x over.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Honestly there is literally no purchase I wouldn't make at Costco if it was possible there. Better prices, better warranties, less bullshit, across the board.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beautiful Tonopah

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Nitrox posted:

Why not wait until the lease period comes to an end and then decide whether or not to buy the car?

A couple reasons you might buyout early:

If you think it’s cheaper to borrow the money to buy it now, rather than later.

For EVs, there’s a $4,000 used car credit that applies to a ton of vehicles. You’d aim to use this credit to buy an EV that doesn’t qualify for the $7,500 new car credit. In this case, you’d buy sooner than later to use the credit now, perhaps because it might not exist in a couple years.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

If you thought this thread was being histrionic about the supercharger thing, the media's pretty much declared the death of the electeic vehicle according to my news feed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Elviscat posted:

If you thought this thread was being histrionic about the supercharger thing, the media's pretty much declared the death of the electeic vehicle according to my news feed.

I was seeing a lot of those when ford started hitting a sales wall with the Lightning.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Elviscat posted:

gently caress Yeah Blue Leaf!

64 or 40 kWh battery? How do you find the new gen? What made you choose it over a Bolt?

40. I dont drive a ton and the 40 is slightly more power efficient since it weighs less. Seems like I am getting roughly 4.5 mi/kWh in general.

I am really liking it so far! Obviously buying a Chademo car in 2024 is buying into a charging standard that is effectively dead in the US, though at the moment there are still a significant number of Chademo chargers near where I live and work. I dont really anticipate needing to fast charge almost ever - I only drive 500ish miles a month.

I never really considered a Bolt, though maybe I should have. I somehow thought it was discontinued, but I guess that was the hybrid Volt.

Shipon posted:

NEVI in the US is requiring pay at the charger support for credit/debit cards. I dont think that is necessarily going to mean existing stations are going to be retrofit, but new ones constructed with federal money under this program have to comply.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

drk posted:

I am really liking it so far! Obviously buying a Chademo car in 2024 is buying into a charging standard that is effectively dead in the US, though at the moment there are still a significant number of Chademo chargers near where I live and work.

Great news!

There are super sketchy CCS->Chademo adapters being sold right now that apparently work. They also might burn your car down, but y'know.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

It's not good.

drk posted:

I never really considered a Bolt, though maybe I should have. I somehow thought it was discontinued, but I guess that was the hybrid Volt.

It is discontinued. Everything is awful.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So has ev adoption really hit a wall, or just slowed in its increase? I want all this negativity to be an overreaction, but that would be hoping for good things to happen and we all know about that...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bone Crimes posted:

So has ev adoption really hit a wall, or just slowed in its increase? I want all this negativity to be an overreaction, but that would be hoping for good things to happen and we all know about that...

There is a deep economic crisis going on and, during critical junctures like this, people cut luxuries. EV are in that category and they are seeing a slump in sales worldwide. If people need a car now they will get a cheap petrol ICE instead.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Afaik with high interest rates car sales overall are down

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

EV sales as a percentage of total cars sold still looks good. I think its’s at about 7% in the US.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

priznat posted:

Yeah it annoys me to no end that the built in cameras can't be used for dash cams. I got cams on the front, back and sides but only usable for low speed parking and don't think they record anything! Seems like something totally doable, sheesh.

The Atto 3 has a built in dashcam but it's actually a dedicated camera in the exact location you'd install an aftermarket camera.

Presumably they went this way because the 360 parking cameras wouldn't provide a useful view, and the lanekeep etc camera which is pointing the right way wouldn't provide a high quality image.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

There is a deep economic crisis going on and, during critical junctures like this, people cut luxuries. EV are in that category and they are seeing a slump in sales worldwide. If people need a car now they will get a cheap petrol ICE instead.

Not in the US. The economy is roaring.

Demand for EVs has leveled off. I think a lot of it is that the charging infrastructure still sucks and they've reached the limit of people who are adventurous enough to put up with it.

The main problem is that auto manufacturers made overly optimistic predictions of the popularity of EVs and have way more inventory and capacity than the market can support.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

EV sales as a percentage of total cars sold still looks good. I think its’s at about 7% in the US.

7% for BEV, 9% for hybrids in 2023, which is a new high.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=61344

The EV transition may yet falter, but the evidence of that so far seems to be thin on the ground.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bone Crimes posted:

Not getting 33%+ more EVs sold than the prior year, every single year, is a clear sign Nintendo EVs are doomed

Real talk, EV sales are about 3.9x and ICE sales are at about 0.85x relative to 2019 numbers

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beautiful Beatty

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Peanut3141 posted:

7% for BEV, 9% for hybrids in 2023, which is a new high.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=61344

The EV transition may yet falter, but the evidence of that so far seems to be thin on the ground.

After looking at vehicles for the past couple of days (no chance of selling our model 3 anytime soon thanks to Hertz), I am not sure how Plug In Hybrids are even viable for most people. Besides the Kia Niro PHEV, you're as expensive as a BEV in many of the categories.

That and now you still have to complexity of having the ICE .. I just don't see how they are really a thing. Regular hybrids are far less expensive and I can see more people going that route (especially since Toyota isn't selling a non hybrid Camry now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bird with big dick posted:

Beautiful Beatty

Public chargers should physically hold your credit card until the charge handle is back in the cradle and the cord is neatly looped up.

I hate people.