Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Forgot how much fun it is to take off for a quick supermarket trip right after lunch. Go at 1:00 and the kiddies are all back in school & the usual lunchtime traffic has mostly gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I adjusted almost all of the slack out of the clutch cable on my sv. It shifts noticeably smoother now and I feel like an bonehead for not doing this sooner. A happy bonehead though.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Changed my front tire last week and my rear tire this week. Like usual, bike is transformed, especially because the last time I changed them was 7 years ago.

Heavy wooden chairs make great bead breakers.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Invalido posted:

I adjusted almost all of the slack out of the clutch cable on my sv. It shifts noticeably smoother now and I feel like an bonehead for not doing this sooner. A happy bonehead though.

Make sure that it doesn’t tighten up when your engine is warm. May be just my particular air-cooled Honda but the slack noticeably shrinks between a cold (0C) and warm (100C) engine. Not sure what the cause might be, it can’t be the cable shrinking (it’d lengthen if anything) so probably something changing shape or properties nearer to the basket.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I made sure, it made no appreciable difference with everything warmed up. Thanks for the heads up though!
Today was mesh gear premiere for the season. Felt real good. The only bike work I did was scraping off a bit of the adhesive foam stuck all over the sides of the large plastic aftermarket DRZ tank, then I got interrupted and never finished that job. I did notice that all the threads in the tank are metal inserts, so that's good I guess. Someone in the question thread raised the possibility that the screws might go straight into plastic and wear down the threads over time but that doesn't seem to be anything to worry about at least.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I traced my VStrom 's dead headlights to a connector with oxidized contacts. I sanded those lightly and cleaned them up. Lights work again.
On a whim I decided to do the fork seals while I'm here. It's been spraying fork oil all over the fender and radiator/engine for a few thousand miles now. Fork seals showed up overnight and the one seal driver that I do have is the correct size.
Those forks are a lot easier to work on than the WP's from an 01 KTM 250. I got both of them done pretty quickly. The old seals were indeed shot and the old oil looked nasty.
Now I just need to put everything together again

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I hope the weather clears for a test ride

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Are you using the centerstand in this pic? It just looks like a jack stand and a jack. I'm interested in this because it seems like a way to work on bikes that don't come with centerstands i.e. all of them.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It is sitting on the center stand, it's just hidden behind the jack stand. That and the pump Jack are only keeping the front from tipping down.

I've put about 100 miles on it now and the forks are still clean. I'll call that a success.
Now I need to do something about the front right brake caliper that's leaking. I already have the rebuild kit because I suspected as much but wasn't 100% sure what with the fork seals spraying a similar fluid all over the place

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 6, 2024

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I spent some time removing a very stuck adhesive foam substance from the plastic Clarke DRZ tank I got included in the bike purchase with a plastic scraper and solvents. Then I mounted a new chinesium petcock - this took some fettling with a file to get the holes to line up right and some RTV on the non-reserve riser tube to give me any confidence it will stay in place, but now it's in there and it holds water at least. Realistically 14.5 liters or so (obviously I won't ever fill it right up to the brim which is more like 15.3) with a reserve of 1.2 liters and 0.7 that won't come out because of geometry in a static test at least. I presume more will flow out when in motion but the very last drops will probably stay put in the recesses of the starboard side of the tank unless I lay the bike on its side or do mad wheelies or something. Hopefully it never comes to that but it's good to know there's the reserve and the reserve I suppose. I hope to put the tank on the bike tomorrow or friday and see if it I like it better than stock. There might be snags, we'll see.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 8, 2024

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

It’s your reserve reserve. Once you’re out of fuel and stranded, you throw the bike on the ground in a rage, pick it up, then it magically starts again.

It has saved me more times than I care to admit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Installed the rigg dual sport tail bag, finally. I’ve been hemming and hawing over what to get because the large ADV one looked too chonky but wasn’t sure. Just pulled the trigger and ordered the medium one in the end and it’s perfect for little grocery runs, and to keep a tiny toolkit and USB battery bank handy.

Only tangentially “to my ride”, but I hooked up a HomeKit compatible trigger for my garage door and it’s SO NICE to be able to open and close my garage just flicking the button on my bike;s CarPlay dash vs fumbling in my pocket for my opener. Most rewarding $50 I’ve spent in a long time.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Tank fits. Just barely, but it fits. It's ugly but I don't care, how it functions will decide wether it stays or not. Now the choke is even more fiddly to pull out and the current very temporary fuel line routing sucks but it seems good enough for a test ride, probably tomorrow. A nice bonus is that I now have a very obvious visual fuel gauge (at least operable when off the bike). I also found I have lost a saddle bolt, found an ugly but serviceable replacement in the stash. I've found a bunch of loose bolts on this bike, is it a thumper vibration things or just bad wrenching or a bit of both?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain posted:

It is sitting on the center stand, it's just hidden behind the jack stand. That and the pump Jack are only keeping the front from tipping down.

I've put about 100 miles on it now and the forks are still clean. I'll call that a success.
Now I need to do something about the front right brake caliper that's leaking. I already have the rebuild kit because I suspected as much but wasn't 100% sure what with the fork seals spraying a similar fluid all over the place

Turns out the calipers are not leaking at all. Fork is still clean and dry. I'll consider the issue closed.
Next up is an oil change.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Doing the 90000km service and some other bits on my honda nx 250.
Oil, filter, and spark plug. New cush drive rubbers. New chain and both sprockets.

Sprockets was very worn.

And thanks to PO fuckery the front sprocket still gets booger welded

I'll change coolant and fork oil tomorrow.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lost the lid to the pannier toolbox about a week after I got it. It slots in on one side and is just held in place by the lock tab on the other. I guess I turned the key without checking that the lock tab was actually inside the box frame. :argh:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 11, 2024

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Invalido posted:

I've found a bunch of loose bolts on this bike, is it a thumper vibration things or just bad wrenching or a bit of both?

lol, don’t sweat it. I own a drz400 and over the years the number of bolts lost out somewhere on the road is innumerable.

one time. my front fender fell off on a ride. four bolts hold it in. it was the factory fender and i never had any reason to touch the bolts. over the years the vibrations rattled them all out until i lost them all.

now i have a bottle of the weak loctite in every tool box and any time i work on that bike. i put a little dab of the stuff on bolts. had less problems after that.

bless you Suzuki. weak rear end factory loctite and that crappy thin white grease that goes bad after just a year or two.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Allow me to bless your bolt life: Orange loctite exists (but seems to be kinda unknown) and sits perfectly between blue and red. it’s fantastic for a lot of stuff that you want to really stay put but still don’t want to use a torch to remove.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sold it, finally. It'd been listed since October. By far the longest it's ever taken me to sell a bike, and by far the most money I've ever lost on one during ownership. Had to trailer it to the buyer almost 2 hours away to close the deal but it is done.

I enjoyed the hell out of it but really didn't want to be on the hook for an out of warranty battery.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
For scientific purposes and sorry for your loss, but? What % did it drop In value? You bought it new and its how many years old?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Supradog posted:

For scientific purposes and sorry for your loss, but? What % did it drop In value? You bought it new and its how many years old?

I don't mind sharing figures.

New it was a $21k bike in 2020. I bought it used, 1 year old for $15k privately. Owned it for 2.5 years, I got $8700 for it + $200 to deliver it.

Woof.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
okay wow

So my partially stuck open throttle that I posted about in the questions thread (that no one replied to :cmon:) I discovered, after removing the tank, air box, and battery, that the issue was the trickle charger lead got caught in the throttle, keeping it from fully closing

I persisted anyway already having bought cables to replace, and after doing so I now learned that this would not possibly be a cable issue, since all that return cable does is twist the grip.

But whatever, new cables are in and free play is set

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Today was an unmitigated disaster. The start button/plunger basically fell apart on me after a couple of hours of trying to get the switchbox back together. 41 year old brittle plastics finally gave out on me.

I ordered a used unit off of ebay, so I hope it comes in fairly quickly so I can ride soon. Finally got my new rear tire on, so yeah.

Was gonna take it for a safety inspection tomorrow as well as ride down to see my pawpaw, but I guess that's off the table. Took a day off of work any everything.

Fart.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Just waiting on the clutch basket and round one of parts is done.

Three more rounds of parts to go. Second of which once the cases are split. Do y'all wanna thread/see the guts of a bankruptcy era 21 year old KTM with 76 thousand miles?

Found out a set of new rotors for both its wheelsets is just under $1700. gently caress. Not much difference between oem Brembo and Galfers. Whatever. Road set gets good poo poo, dirt wheels will get knockoffs. Warpedtothe9s maybe. That's round three. Four? 45L Safari tanks maybe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

El-cheapo radiator guards on the big bike today. Saw a few creases in the fins already and figured I'd fix that off before it got any worse. Of course the cheap touratech knockoffs didn't fit as expected, but I made it work after a few choice applications of the dremel.

... to the part, not the, uh.. bike..

cursedshitbox posted:

Do y'all wanna thread/see the guts of a bankruptcy era 21 year old KTM with 76 thousand miles?

Pondering the kind of monster a human being would have to be to say no here.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 13, 2024

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Horse Clocks posted:

It’s your reserve reserve. Once you’re out of fuel and stranded, you throw the bike on the ground in a rage, pick it up, then it magically starts again.

It has saved me more times than I care to admit.

This is how you get reserve fuel on my Bantam. No cross over tube on the tank and only an on/off fuel valve. If it runs out you lean it over to pour the fuel to the other side.

To answer the thread title I finished up the rebuild on my R5. It took a bit to get it started at first and then it promptly fumigated my garage. I may have gone overboard with oil during reassembly.

It also appears to have an oil leak. The one seal that was not included in the kit was the o-ring on the rather large neutral switch and despite it not leaking previously it is now.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Lost the lid to the pannier toolbox about a week after I got it. It slots in on one side and is just held in place by the lock tab on the other. I guess I turned the key without checking that the lock tab was actually inside the box frame. :argh:
Emailed Bumot and they just went "No problem, let us know your address and what key number you want it keyed for. We'll send you a PayPal invoice for €20 to cover shipping."

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I oiled the chain and checked tire pressure for the first time in a while. It was way high, almost 3 bar in the rear rather than 2.5 which is spec. I pumped tires last before spring sprung and it was cold. 20+metric degrees more of ambient plus some sunshine ought to make a difference but I didn't think it would be quite so dramatic.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I finally coded my dash to show tire pressure in PSI as god intended :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I put new mirrors on my VStrom. The OEM mirrors had 30k miles on them and they flopped like over-cooked spaghetti in the wind above 40mph
I did not cough up the $100/ea for new OEMs, got a pair of Emgos on eBay for $45 shipped instead. Fantastic! Solid, big, no vibration, and they stick out further than the OEMs.
Ride quality greatly improved.