Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Otacon posted:

I use FastPip and FastUI and love them. You probably don't need to deal with the injector versions unless you already run a few mods
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/874
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/1269

Thanks, gonna try those out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm just starting fallout 4 for the first time.

Is there a general best way to approach settlement building?

Like I just started popping a few things up here and there in the first settlement, but the space is already taken up so much by the derelict houses there.

In that place, am I supposed to kinda patch up the existing structures rather than try to build new ones for them to use?

I've not come across other settlement yet so don't know if (when you're rolling in materials) you're generally best to make some kind of stupid mega fortress or something?

Also, the camera for building things sucks. Can it be zoomed out further at all?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kaddish posted:

Wait, after level 50 we can still pick perk cards every level? That makes more sense if so, because I was unsure how you could effectively change a build just relying on card packs every 5 levels.

Yes, you still get to pick a perk card every level (in addition to the pack every 5 levels).

Also one of the rewards from this season is 50 perk coins.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Otacon posted:

I use FastPip and FastUI and love them. You probably don't need to deal with the injector versions unless you already run a few mods
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/874
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/1269

Sweet, thanks! I tried manually installing by dropping the files in and editing the custom ini but it doesn't seem to be working, I might have to do the injection stuff. I'll have to futz with it later.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Kaddish posted:

Wait, after level 50 we can still pick perk cards every level? That makes more sense if so, because I was unsure how you could effectively change a build just relying on card packs every 5 levels.

yes, you get to pick specific perk cards every level, just keep leveling and you can fix any goofy poo poo you did early on :shrug:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I ended up taking the "no rads in water" perk for the first time so I could use rivers like an express lane. My last survival run was probably my favorite playthrough of the game.

That is such a good perk. You can get pretty much to every major location in Boston via the water and not have to worry about being attacked.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Kin posted:

Like I just started popping a few things up here and there in the first settlement, but the space is already taken up so much by the derelict houses there.

In that place, am I supposed to kinda patch up the existing structures rather than try to build new ones for them to use?

I've not come across other settlement yet so don't know if (when you're rolling in materials) you're generally best to make some kind of stupid mega fortress or something?

Also, the camera for building things sucks. Can it be zoomed out further at all?

It depends how invested you get with skills and whatnot, but you can turn them into miniature towns that make large amounts of purified water, food (for adhesive, mainly), fertilizer, scrap, caps and buying/selling items. You can also invest in skills to set up workbenches for weapons, armour, chemistry, etc.... It requires investing some points into the perks Local Leader to access caravan supply lines that use up a settler or robot to share resources between two settlements, eventually linking them all together. If you don't want to go down that path, you can use them to store your items you find when you are carrying too much, a place to run back to if you're overwhelmed, or just for decorating. It's completely optional to engage with and there are different types of mods that change up the settlement system if you don't like how its implemented.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: aquagrrl

Entorwellian posted:

That is such a good perk. You can get pretty much to every major location in Boston via the water and not have to worry about being attacked.

makes a lot of far harbor easier too

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Is the Encryptid event reasonable to attempt solo (with an unoptimized commando build and a handmade) or should I save my card for a coordinated group? I'm trying to get my hands on them Fixer plans.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Kin posted:

Once you've gone around sanctuary and scrapped all the collapsed houses, cars, furniture, etc., you should be at just under half your build capacity. The other half is mostly trees and picket fences. The buildings that can't be scrapped shouldn't count for your build limit, only scrappable items.

After everything is cleaned up you will have three or four empty foundations to build on and plenty of empty backyard space to use.

You can also just use the existing houses as they are, but your settlers will always be happier with a built structure as opposed to a pre war structure.

If you don't want to waste too much time on it you can just slap down a few prefabs and sleeping bags and call it good

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Russian Remoulade posted:

Is the Encryptid event reasonable to attempt solo (with an unoptimized commando build and a handmade) or should I save my card for a coordinated group? I'm trying to get my hands on them Fixer plans.

No. You will get melted.

Look for a busy server with some high level players. If you start the event and wait, they will probably join along (as long as it is not during an invaders event or something). Or obviously just ask for some help.

Also keep an eye out on player vendors for fixer plans.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Russian Remoulade posted:

You'll get blapped within the first 30 seconds. Run with a group!

explosivo posted:

Sweet, thanks! I tried manually installing by dropping the files in and editing the custom ini but it doesn't seem to be working, I might have to do the injection stuff. I'll have to futz with it later.

Hit me up on Discord and I can troubleshoot for you!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

titties posted:

Once you've gone around sanctuary and scrapped all the collapsed houses, cars, furniture, etc., you should be at just under half your build capacity. The other half is mostly trees and picket fences. The buildings that can't be scrapped shouldn't count for your build limit, only scrappable items.

After everything is cleaned up you will have three or four empty foundations to build on and plenty of empty backyard space to use.

You can also just use the existing houses as they are, but your settlers will always be happier with a built structure as opposed to a pre war structure.

If you don't want to waste too much time on it you can just slap down a few prefabs and sleeping bags and call it good

Ah, I'm still getting used to the controls, i didn't realise i could scrap all of the existing houses and stuff.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Kin posted:

Ah, I'm still getting used to the controls, i didn't realise i could scrap all of the existing houses and stuff.

Not all of them, just the ones that are caved in.

There are 2 modes to settlement building, one to place items and one to edit / move. When you're in edit mode and hover over an item you can interact with, it will show you button prompts at the bottom of the screen to scrap (or move or store, if applicable).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

level 75 and finishing up the Raiders quest line :toot:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kin posted:

one important thing to note about settlement building in fallout 4 is that sanctuary, red rocket, and abernathy farmstead are all too close together to build all of them up. pick one and leave the others undeveloped (ie don't add more stuff or more settlers, the stuff that's already there is fine). if you build 2 or 3 of them basically the game's system can't handle all that stuff so close together and it'll start glitching and performing terribly. This generally applies to settlements within 2 or 3 "grid squares" on the in-game map (they're there if you squint), it's just that people run into it with those three first/most commonly. it's called the "triangle of death."

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 3, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m level 92 and I’ve never done it and I don’t give a gently caress. I’m just here to loot, build and nuke.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's good to do one or both of the raider/settler quest lines in F76 just because there's a lot of the high end equipment gated behind faction standing with either of them and it's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge tedious pain to grind it up otherwise, although not as bad as it used to be now that there's Eviction Notice/Moonshine Jamboree
e: chinese stealth suit is also a really useful alternative to a hazmat suit

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wow jet and a fast pistol are devastating. Took down the deathclaw using just one dose of jet, one clip of bullets and took no damage

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Running around with every mutation is clearly beneficial in many ways but it's getting sort of old having to go out of my way to find a cow to milk whenever I need to reduce rads. I'm just kind of getting used to always only having 1/4 of my health bar at this point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Flesh Forge posted:

it's good to do one or both of the raider/settler quest lines in F76 just because there's a lot of the high end equipment gated behind faction standing with either of them and it's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge tedious pain to grind it up otherwise, although not as bad as it used to be now that there's Eviction Notice/Moonshine Jamboree

What’s there bc I got a lotta fun stuff without doing it. I don’t care aboht the suit bc I absorb and get healthier with rads lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

What’s there bc I got a lotta fun stuff without doing it. I don’t care aboht the suit bc I absorb and get healthier with rads lol

https://fallout.wiki/wiki/Fallout_76_Vendors#Speciality_vendors the ones with a gold bar in the last column

really useful poo poo like mods for the backpack that reduce food/drink and chem weight by 90%
a bunch of very good armor sets
a bunch of very good weapons + mods for them (plasma caster, gauss minigun, war glaive etc)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

this is what i play for

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Ugh, okay I think getting the platinum trophy in FO76 might be the end of the journey for me. At least for now.

The grind stuff went from fun to annoying overnight. And I don't have the perk cards or weapons to fully switch to one of the meta builds. But it was fun to come back for a bit.

I still have a couple more weeks of 1st left so maybe I just need a couple days away. Pretty sure I played like 30 hours of my 220 total in the past week.

Good luck to all and thanks for all the help!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Flesh Forge posted:

To be fair, it's still tedious as gently caress.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SplitSoul posted:

It was tedious as gently caress when you could glitch both sides and farm rep about 20x faster than they intended you to.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

well you can do both to the point you have to choose one to finish with, and then finish it in something like 8 hours total and then you have (minimum) the Vault 79 vendor fully unlocked and can buy a plasma caster e.g., or (like I just did) a gauss pistol with all the mods
got this on the 2nd craft, I'm very OK with this outcome

e: even with the Grounded mutation this thing is super good :kiss:
I am totally fine with the charge up/vats method I like this a lot

lol it crits for 1250 head hits

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 3, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Tale as old as time. Welcome to the end of most survival runs. :lol:

It does get to be a lot of fun when you get past some of the early molotov stuff. The only place it gets repetitive is if you try to link up settlements and have to run back and forth a lot to try and defend. I ended up taking the "no rads in water" perk for the first time so I could use rivers like an express lane. My last survival run was probably my favorite playthrough of the game.

I think I'll just limit myself to being a make do traveller and use red rockets or similar as my bases. I think I'll join the BoS and get some travel support and tech that way, then inevitably betray them because gently caress those clowns.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Heya goons, I got a FO76 question, how the heck do you stay topped up with ammo when your new? I got the itch and I'm having a blast blasting things but gosh do I ever run out of ammo quick even with Commando and Expert at 3. Whats the ammo secret that all those power armoured people at events know that I don't? :D

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In 76 it doesn't matter the level of the items you scrap for the sake of unlocking mods, right?
I'm sitting on a mountain of mats and would love to blast through a bunch of these.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

NuckmasterJ posted:

Heya goons, I got a FO76 question, how the heck do you stay topped up with ammo when your new? I got the itch and I'm having a blast blasting things but gosh do I ever run out of ammo quick even with Commando and Expert at 3. Whats the ammo secret that all those power armoured people at events know that I don't? :D

As someone also fairly new, two things I’ve picked up on so far:

1. Do the daily quest thing from the map if you see someone else on your team doing it or if there’s a group for it. It drops a poo poo ton of ammo for whatever you’re holding both from enemies and the end of mission rewards.

2. Especially if you’re using full auto weapons, feather the trigger a bit because the server lag will eat a shitload of ammo on shots fired after an enemy’s hp is zeroed but before the server catches up.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

In 76 it doesn't matter the level of the items you scrap for the sake of unlocking mods, right?
I'm sitting on a mountain of mats and would love to blast through a bunch of these.

Correct, you can craft the lowest level weapons and scrap them to get all the learnable mods.

NuckmasterJ posted:

As above, "Daily Ops" (and "Expeditions") are fantastic semi-group ways to generate ammo. The old style way is still effective but requires a short little farming routine:

1) This quest to unlock learn and build Excavator Power Armor
2) Heading to Lucky Hole Mine, and farm all the lead veins while wearing your Excavator PA.
3) Get back to your camp and equip Rank 3 Super Duper (Luck) and Rank 2 Ammosmith (Agility) - (and if you have spare legendary perk slots or coins, there's also one of those for crafting even more ammo)
4) Smelt all that lead and craft all that ammo

There's also the Ammo Converter, and Ammo Constructor, both sold in Crater for bullion depending on your reputation level. The converter is purchasable sooner, and you feed unused ammo into it for points, to then buy your needed ammo. The exchange rate isn't the best, but Railroad Spikes are just steel and convert pretty well. The constructor unlocks at the highest rep level, and basically generates a round or two of your choosing every minute, but only up to a certain max weight, and no Ultracite ammo.

Hang in there, it gets a little better. I'm subscribed so I have the ammo storage box, and I'm at the point where I can just craft an absolute shitload of ammo and play for a month or two before I start to get low.

Lastly, have you looked at Automatic Railway Rifles in VATS? Those drat spikes seem to grow on trees (since almost everything dies in 1 or 2 headshots.)

Otacon fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 3, 2024

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Otacon posted:

Correct, you can craft the lowest level weapons and scrap them to get all the learnable mods.

As above, "Daily Ops" (and "Expeditions") are fantastic semi-group ways to generate ammo. The old style way is still effective but requires a short little farming routine:

1) This quest to unlock learn and build Excavator Power Armor
2) Heading to Lucky Hole Mine, and farm all the lead veins while wearing your Excavator PA.
3) Get back to your camp and equip Rank 3 Super Duper (Luck) and Rank 2 Ammosmith (Agility) (if you have spare legendary perk slots, there's also one for crafting even more ammo)
4) Smelt all that lead and craft all that ammo

There's also the Ammo Converter, and Ammo Constructor, both sold in Crater for bullion depending on your reputation level. The converter is purchasable sooner, and you feed unused ammo into it for points, to then buy your needed ammo. The exchange rate isn't the best, but Railroad Spikes are just steel and convert pretty well. The constructor unlocks at the highest rep level, and basically generates a round or two every minute, but only up to a certain weight.

Hang in there, it gets a little better. I'm subscribed so I have the ammo storage box, and I'm at the point where I can just craft an absolute shitload of ammo and play for a month or two before I start to get low.

Lastly, have you looked at Automatic Railway Rifles in VATS? Those drat spikes seem to grow on trees (since almost everything dies in 1 or 2 headshots.)

I've just been using what ever weapons I pick up off the ground to kill peoples. I thought the Daily Ops were 50+?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

NuckmasterJ posted:

I've just been using what ever weapons I pick up off the ground to kill peoples. I thought the Daily Ops were 50+?

Nah, it's pretty easy for a group to carry 1-2 players. Look for a team and try one out!

Also check out the Scrounger perk (Luck) and start checking for green ammo boxes when you're exploring and looting - every area usually has a couple.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

NuckmasterJ posted:

kill scorched and other easy things that drop contextual ammo, and try to be efficient and not waste it. VATS sneak attack headshots should only take you a couple of bullets per and they drop around 8 per.
e: it's a good feeling to share out rank 3 Inspirational (+15% xp for everyone)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 3, 2024

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

NuckmasterJ posted:

Meleeing basic enemies and the like can save you a few bullets

Open with a ranged sneak attack if it's a bigger foe

Look into weapons with bonus crippling effects - shotgun's great for breaking limbs quickly; taking out the legs on anything renders them far more vulnerable to weapons you have a lot of ammo even if they only deal chip damage (be careful of robots, as some will explode if you take out their arms and legs)

Toss grenades and molotovs into groups

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 3, 2024

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting error code 0x1100 when I try to boot up from gamepass (pc). Anyone having this issue? Literally just happened to me today .

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I love fast traveling into a mine

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I hosed up really bad.

I had a 3 star Ultracite power armor torso with really good 2 and 3 slot legendaries.
Went to go replace the 1 slot and... gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
Did they ever make lasers in FO76 remotely decent to use? I just want me a laser sniper rifle but last time I played ( a while ago ) the gun I had was laughably unusable.