Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Laios would be in heaven if he fell into the Monster Hunter World.

Not episode related, just daydreaming about how Laios would interact with other fantasy settings focused on monsters.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Alan Smithee posted:

Do not downplay this

Really he should be shamed for not carrying more projectiles

Dont act like you can expect people to work outside contract scope, he was hired as a picklock and does that very well

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Arc Hammer posted:

Not episode related, just daydreaming about how Laios would interact with other fantasy settings focused on monsters.

Laois would poo poo his pants over the extinct beasts thread.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Arc Hammer posted:

There's an upcoming Dungeon Meshi crossover with Arknights, which has previously had a crossover with Monster Hunter, so Laios could canonically* meet Rathalos at least.

*Canonically to Arknights.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Clarste posted:

There's an upcoming Dungeon Meshi crossover with Arknights, which has previously had a crossover with Monster Hunter, so Laios could canonically* meet Rathalos at least.

*Canonically to Arknights.

Hey if Arknights crosses over into Monster Hunter then Laios is only a step away from a Witcher crossover, too, because of that one time Geralt landed in Monster Hunter World. Now that would be a pair to watch.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
New episode was very good and I expect to see lots of Yassified Marcille.

Also the OTHER character you can't avoid in any fanart at all is here! I need next week to be here by tomorrow!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I did like that they made it harder than your usual okay say something only [person] would say thing.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I have been waiting for this episode because it acknowledges an important truth

Senshi is handsome

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I really like that we have canonical answers regarding this latest episode:

Especially interesting because it informs a lot of inter-party/interracial dynamics.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love that I can tell whose memories the fake Marcilles and the fake Laioses are based on. The fake Senshis and fake Chilchucks are harder to pin down except for Smallchuck.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RuBisCO posted:

I really like that we have canonical answers regarding this latest episode:

Especially interesting because it informs a lot of inter-party/interracial dynamics.

Well forget my last post I was way off

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hihohe posted:

I went to work a couple of minutes late to catch the latest episode.

Basically all i can say is

I got spoiled on the punchline for the episode in the comics Funny Panels thread but this is such a great callback

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Electric Phantasm posted:

Well forget my last post I was way off
I definitely got giant and stupid Laios backwards.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://x.com/Mr_Patastic/status/1786130670063943812

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
So here's a fun fact: the original magazine Dungeon Meshi was serialized in (Harta) comes out 10 times a year (monthly with 2 non-consecutive months skipped)

So with this episode, we've reached the end of year 4.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Todays chapters

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hihohe posted:

Todays chapters

Tweet suddenly relevent again

https://x.com/chvvy_/status/1781093194685407602

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Every time I think I've figured out how an episode is going to go the idea gets flipped on its head and we get special surprises like Laios acting like a dog to intimidate his foe. :allears:

I am going to be so sad when this season ends for like five minutes when I'll inevitably buy the entire manga and binge read the whole thing.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Happy to be validated by the anime itself, in that I too gauged which Chil was real based on who looked pissed off the most in any given shot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Real props to the dub on this one I got a kick out of Sungwon Cho giving Fake!Senshi a much more masculine voice to go with his sexy chiseled features.

Also the return of the zoom-in gag got me giggling.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just love the implication that everyone else really wanted the final fake Senshi to be the real deal… even though he was the one with the most obvious difference.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I will say it was a neat twist with the final Marcille fake knowing about the fishmen eggs. I've seen the trick of looking for information only the real one would know and the fake wouldn't, but it's rare to see a bit of info slip that only the fake knows, because it's pulling from other peoples' memory of the event and not hers

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/_kikimari_/status/1786033041061576899?t=6RZbehVhFOMubK9RQfxi3g&s=19

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

What a fun episode this was.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
if you cant roll with the big dawgs, go back to the surface

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
it's a dog eat dog world out there (by "dog" I mean Laios; by "dog" I mean wolf; by "eat" I mean eat)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:3

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I wonder how Kuro would feel seeing Laois act like that. Would he get offended.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

duz posted:

What a fun episode this was.

Is this a reference to something? I think I have seen something like that before. A G Gundam Opening, maybe?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
First sensible human he’s met.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
neat fact: this episode was storyboarded by Akira Amemiya, the director of SSSS.Gridman and SSSS.Dynazenon (Dungeon Meshi's own director, Yoshihiro Miyajima, was an episode director on multiple episodes of the former and straight up the show's assistant director on the latter)

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

Is this a reference to something? I think I have seen something like that before. A G Gundam Opening, maybe?

It looked to me like a visual allusion to Vishvarupa, with the framing providing that Laios was invoking the dogs as a part of himself and then "becoming" one to succeed in battle.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Arc Hammer posted:

Real props to the dub on this one I got a kick out of Sungwon Cho giving Fake!Senshi a much more masculine voice to go with his sexy chiseled features.

Also the return of the zoom-in gag got me giggling.

Unless I was hearing things all of the dub VAs added some slight alterations to their voices for their doppelgangers. It's a really nice touch.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The names are in japanese but theres a side comic that shows what they are named in english

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They had the English names on the subtitles too, but they go by pretty quick. I caught Boff though.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
boffa deez nuts

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Re-watched the episode with headphones and there are subtle audio positioning differences that imply shenanigans are at foot right before Marcille hits the lights. :allears:

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

Unlucky7 posted:

The Turn A Gundam OP is a bit similar at 1:08, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

[Redacted even though everyone knows it], this episode:

The shapeshifter game was fun but it kind of gives it away when the voice actors change how the fake ones sound as well, especially Marcille.

VVV it's the next day after the episode and people are already talking about it, I don't see an issue.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

y'all really gotta double check what thread you're posting in