Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Wow, that response sounds like it's from one of those people who doesn't believe their spouse about how lovely their family is and insists on getting everyone back in touch with one another.

edit:
Fuckin' snipe! Have another story about the wonders of liens :)

WIBTA for suing my brother because he sold his house?

quote:

Not the A-hole
Context: My brother and I are twins and had wealthy parents. We have some property that they bought for us for our 18th birthday.

Fast forward 14 years and we are both married. Our parents passed away and we finished dividing inheritance . My husband and I are fairly high earners in our own right, while my brother and his wife live off of his inheritance. Our parents wealth mainly came from stocks, bonds and their jobs so they didn't have much real estate.

Two years ago, my brother asked my husband and I for a loan so he could start his own business. I agreed to it and we sign a contract where he uses the real estate our father bought for him as collateral. At this time, he had been living with his wife in a different city.

His business was lagging, but he still somehow managed to pay the bills. He was still making the monthly loan repayments to me, so I kept quiet.

Recently, I found out that he sold the property he gave me as collateral to one of our cousins. Neither of them said anything to me and he kept the money for himself and did not say a word about selling the property. Now I'm threatening legal action against him.

I'm getting calls from my SIL and my brothers MIL daily. At first they were begging me to forgive him and that he didn't know he wasn't allowed to sell it. Now they're calling me a heartless bitch for threatening to file a lawsuit and it wasn't his fault because I got an equal share as him from our inheritance even though I made more money.

Apparently his business was struggling so much he needed the money from the sale to keep it afloat.

My entire family is in an uproar, half siding with me and the other half with my brother.

EDIT: I do have a recorded lien, which was drafted by a lawyer. In the contract, the property was clearly stated to be collateral. Something obviously went wrong since he was able to sell the property, which I am now trying to figure out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

No don’t tell him!! Straights trying to guess queer terminology from assumptions and half-understood media references is my favorite

I. M. Gei, please tell us what you imagine a ‘circuit gay’ is or does, also ‘gold star lesbian’ :allears:

I believe a gold star lesbian has been recognized by the tire company as making very good food.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
A gold star lesbian is a lesbian who has faced all of the challenges of lesbianism, but has not yet commenced new game+.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 3, 2024

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

a cricut gay (derogatory) is what all us silhouette cameo users call you behind your back at the Joanne Fabrics

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024
Mother (60F) persistent on wanting to buy a house with me (33M) and my wife (30F), but won't get a job to prevent homelessness.

quote:

I (33M and my wife (30F) live in a high COL state and are saving up for a starter home by getting some more money for a down payment before moving to a lower COL state in another part of the country. Our plan seems pretty solid, she has family where we're moving, seems great. Wife and I have been in a relationship for over 10 years, 5 of which were long distance, 6 in person, got married this year (just pulled ourselves out of a post-covid pit and are doing much better for ourselves, relationship is absolutely rock solid)

My mother is running into some issues, she's single 60+ and used to be part of the medical work force before making some decisions i don't entirely agree with. She liquidated her 401k to get a third degree to go into veterinary technician work before quitting a few months later, and since has been doing caretaker stuff, taking care of her late father until passing, before finding a bedroom to stay with someone else to save money.

With our recent plans to save for a home (which we're close, but I want to save a bit more to avoid PMI on a new house), she's been insistent she buys a house 3-ways, as her current landlord-friend is trying to sell her house soon and my mom will have to find somewhere to go. That said my mom refuses to re-enter the work force when she has 3 professional degrees including multiple masters degrees and could easily out-earn me and my wife's combined income. I'm hesitant to let her buy with us because she's often disagreeable even though she's nice, often injects herself overly in matters that don't require her, and as of right now, doesn't want to do much if anything to keep herself out of being homeless. I would help, but right now, shes able bodied (minus needing a minor surgery) but is stonewall about not doing anything difficult for money (right now she dog sits for a very small amount of money for other people).

My wife is flat out against the idea, she wants the opportunity to buy a house for me and her and live a life we both want as a goal, and I'm frustrated my mother won't do more to take care of herself and expects me to be a savior. I'm getting daily messages about wanting to move in with us and I don't think this is a good idea. Earlier this year we almost decided to rent 3-ways by moving to a different city but she constantly shot down every house listing we tried to apply for because she wasn't given full freedom of the space since we're splitting the home based on the rent contribution, of which I'd be paying the majority.

Am I wrong for being of the opinion she should return (even if briefly) to the medical field until me and my wife decide to move to a lower COL area either this year or next year and not give her too much of a foot in on our living situation? Would I be better buying sooner than later? (wife and I make about a combined 110-120k and have about 30k in savings toward a down payment as first-time-home buyers). Again, open to advice. I'm worried I'm being guilted into the position of saving someone who won't do much to help themselves and that might put my new marriage at risk

TL:DR, mom wants to move in with me and my wife and buy a house because rent here is alot for a single person, but doesn't want to re-enter the work force despite being more professionally-qualified than me and my wife combined and is claiming she will be homeless unless a miracle happens. I don't think it's a good idea.

_________

Update: You all provided excellent responses, I'm very thankful for the honesty. I took some time, gave her a heart-to-heart discussion. She must have known as she was very quick to use a ton of emotional collateral but I held firm. She cried and hung up, took it about as poorly as someone can. I know this was the right response, just hurts.

The mother sounds, if nothing else, terrible with money. I wonder what the job market for her relevent degrees and experience is.

mystes
May 31, 2006

S40CheckingAccount posted:

Mother (60F) persistent on wanting to buy a house with me (33M) and my wife (30F), but won't get a job to prevent homelessness.

The mother sounds, if nothing else, terrible with money. I wonder what the job market for her relevent degrees and experience is.

quote:

She liquidated her 401k to get a third degree to go into veterinary technician work before quitting a few months later
well that was dumb

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

a cricut gay hears appeals if you don't like the rulings of your local municipal gays.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gonna take this decision on kamikazes all the way up to the supreme gays

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Circuit gays are all extinct because they only cruised behind Cicuit City stores which went bankrupt

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A gold star lesbian is a lesbian who was very good in class today

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

A circuit gay runs on a track compared to a trail gay that runs in nature.

A gold star lesbian has a good quality but is inferior to an iridium lesbian. If she wants that iridium quality she needs to spend a week in a cask ageing.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 3, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HookedOnChthonics posted:

No don’t tell him!! Straights trying to guess queer terminology from assumptions and half-understood media references is my favorite

I. M. Gei, please tell us what you imagine a ‘circuit gay’ is or does, also ‘gold star lesbian’ :allears:

A circuit gay is appointed when the gay population is too low to sustain a permanent presence in all bars, nightclubs etc in a region and instead the officer will tour them to ‘show the colours’.

A gold-star lesbian is one with a praise kink.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
A gold star lesbian is the lowest rank of General Lesbians, also known as Brigadier Lesbian.

They can be promoted to a two-star lesbian, or Major Lesbian. Three-stars is Lieutenant Lesbian (LLes). Four-Star Lesbians are often the head of a service branch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Gold star lesbian is that site that posts videos of lesbians getting into street fights

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

StrangersInTheNight posted:

lol the entire process is flippant, it's not like they give you a primer of the responsibilities you're signing up for when you sign the license, this is the laziest poo poo. if they wanted people not to be flippant about marriage, then they should educate people on the legal aspects and let them do what they want with the knowledge, up to and including getting married the same day as their license. gently caress the govt finger-wagging if you've considered your own marriage enough and makin' you do a lil time out to have a think, that's not their place.

you need to take marriage more seriously

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Rockman Reserve posted:

a cricut gay (derogatory) is what all us silhouette cameo users call you behind your back at the Joanne Fabrics

literally me right now, this is violence :mad:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm laughing at all the gold star lesbian definitions and I wish they were accurate because as a lesbian myself the terminology actually really pisses me off. It's the term used for a lesbian who has 'never touched a dick' which as you can imagine goes from playful to genuinely cruel quite fast when you start factoring in things such as sexual assault, people dating guys before they realized they were gay, and transphobia.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

PetraCore posted:

I'm laughing at all the gold star lesbian definitions and I wish they were accurate because as a lesbian myself the terminology actually really pisses me off. It's the term used for a lesbian who has 'never touched a dick' which as you can imagine goes from playful to genuinely cruel quite fast when you start factoring in things such as sexual assault, people dating guys before they realized they were gay, and transphobia.

Don’t forget gold star lesbians being biphobic as hell towards the idea of dating a bi woman!

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

I'm a Michelin Star bi because I DEFINITELY ea... oh sorry I gotta go, phone call.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
A circuit gay is an electric circuit, but instead of having a - negative and + positive terminal, it just has two + positive terminals.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The gay test is basically a zoology exam.

Sure, you might know your bears and gym bunnies, but do you know about the pandas, otters and giraffes?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

ApplesandOranges posted:

The gay test is basically a zoology exam.

Sure, you might know your bears and gym bunnies, but do you know about the pandas, otters and giraffes?

Now you're just making poo poo up.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Otters is definitely a term gay men use, I have heard facebook friends use it to refer to themselves on numerous occasions.

Pandas and giraffes though? Uh...

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

DreamingofRoses posted:

Don’t forget gold star lesbians being biphobic as hell towards the idea of dating a bi woman!
I wish I could forget.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Kenshin posted:

Otters is definitely a term gay men use, I have heard facebook friends use it to refer to themselves on numerous occasions.

Pandas and giraffes though? Uh...

A Panda is a gay man who eats bamboo and a Giraffe is a gay man with a long sexy neck.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pandas don’t breed, I think?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

DreamingofRoses posted:

Please tell me that this isn't some sort of "I have never hosed somebody with a dick or somebody else who has hosed somebody with a dick" bullshit.

That's getting incredibly close to the parodic "It's gay for a straight man to kiss a straight woman because she's had a dick in her mouth" shitpost tweets.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Breetai posted:

Please tell me that this isn't some sort of "I have never hosed somebody with a dick or somebody else who has hosed somebody with a dick" bullshit.

That's getting incredibly close to the parodic "It's gay for a straight man to kiss a straight woman because she's had a dick in her mouth" shitpost tweets.

Unfortunately it is.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Breetai posted:

thats basically it

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Slate does this stupid thing where someone writes in and two people discuss it for a thousand years. But this one isn't too bad.

Letter:

quote:

Low stakes question: My husband and I have been together for over 45 years. We have different senses of humor; I’m drier witted and he’s more slapstick. Most of the time it works, but sometimes he says or does something that I don’t find at all funny. He’s waiting for my laugh and I sit in silence. He’s hurt/mad that I’m not amused, and I’m amazed he thinks what he said or did is even mildly funny. Do I need to laugh at everything he says? Is there a better way to handle this? After all this time, you’d think it wouldn’t cause problems but somehow this can turn into a huge argument.

From the discussion:

quote:

Jenée:I wonder if she used to give him a little fake laugh and she’s quit in recent years because she’s sick of him for reasons unrelated to his sense of humor. Or maybe he suddenly needs more affirmation from her than he did before because of something that’s going on for him.

Joel: There’s really only so long anyone can keep up the pretense of fake laughter. So yeah, I wonder if there’s something else going on here, and I thought it was your latter point: He’s looking for … connection? Affirmation? Hell, attention? I tend to think it’s about a lot more than getting her co-sign on a silly Tik Tok.

Jenée: Yeah, I would think the fake laughs would expire after about five dates. Or the first argument. Speaking of arguments: They’re actually fighting about this! There’s gotta be more going on, right?

Joel: Absolutely. What drove her to the point where all of a sudden that she can’t even muster a half-hearted chuckle? Something has changed between them, and they should probably try to get to the bottom of it before it curdles into resentment. Maybe that’s an overreaction, but everyone knows what it’s like to want to laugh at the same thing with someone they love and being denied that. It actually can hurt, sometimes.

What on earth does she mean by slapstick? Does he keep getting hit with pies and falling off balconies?

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 3, 2024

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024

trickybiscuits posted:

Slate does this stupid thing where someone writes in and two people discuss it for a thousand years. But this one isn't too bad.

Letter:

From the discussion:

What on earth does she mean by slapstick? Does he keep getting hit with pies and falling off balconies?

She uses wordplay and he likes fart jokes. He thinks she thinks she's better than him.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

They sound like my parents, my mother is very dry and my father is the goofiest fucker you've ever met

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sex Farm posted:

They sound like my parents, my mother is very dry and my father is the goofiest fucker you've ever met

So this is the way I find out Ben Shapiro has children

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Captain Hygiene posted:

So this is the way I find out Ben Shapiro has children

:golfclap:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Breetai posted:

A gold star lesbian is a lesbian who has faced all of the challenges of lesbianism, but has not yet commenced new game+.

I want you to know I greatly appreciated this.

AITA for wasting my parents money and refusing to pay them back?

quote:

I’m(34F) a US born Desi and my parents have tried to marry me off several times. I’m considered old so they have been pushing me endlessly to marry and get settled down. I have been set up with 3 potential matches and turned them down. My father keeps saying I’m too picky and any guy is ok. That it’s up to me to make a happy marriage. I’m personally very skeptical of marriage but I’m now the black sheep of the family by still being single.

Last year they came to me with another potential match. We began chatting on WhatsApp and then began meeting up. It was nice, he seems like a good match and I was sick of the comments from older friends and family. I told my parents it was a good match and they began planning on the wedding.

We were suppose to get married in 2 months but then a girl messages me and claims to be my fiancé’s gf. I thought it was a scam but she knew everything about him and sent me photos of them together. She said they have been together for 6 years and they were supposed to be married.

I call my fiancé and he confirms that the girl is being truthful but say he will end the relationship once we marry. I ask if they were still together and he says no but the girl sent a photo of them kissing at a festival that happened the previous weekend. So I don’t believe they are officially broken up and I think he plans to keep a side piece after we marry.

I tell my parents I want to cancel the wedding and they are very mad. Even after I show them the photos and what my fiancé says, they insist the girl is lying and I’m just getting cold feet. I keep telling them he hasn’t ended the relationship and they refuse to believe me because his parents told them he has never had a gf. I’m so frustrated and tell them I refuse to do the marriage and my mom yells at me for wasting money. They even told me it’s normal for a man to date around but he will automatically be faithful in the marriage because that’s how that works.

They put a non refundable 10k deposit for the venue and catering. They are now insisting I have to pay them back because I backed out of the wedding. I’ve told them I won’t and they been calling to me yell at me and so have the rest of my extended family.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

S40CheckingAccount posted:

For someone in their 60s? Not as easy as this guy thinks. More degrees does not equal just rolling into a better job.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

feedmegin posted:

For someone in their 60s? Not as easy as this guy thinks. More degrees does not equal just rolling into a better job.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around being sixty and liquidating your 401k to go to vet tech school. It's not a field that's known for great pay, even if you're not going into debt for the schooling it's not gonna be a great ROI if you're 60+

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Coca Koala posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around being sixty and liquidating your 401k to go to vet tech school. It's not a field that's known for great pay, even if you're not going into debt for the schooling it's not gonna be a great ROI if you're 60+

I understand liquidating savings or regular assets, or taking on debt to go to school for something that's always been a dream, but killing your federally protected retirement fund for a new degree when you're over 60 is a bit beyond that. And it's especially weird for a job like a vet tech that is very active (restraining unhappy animals) rather than some kind of research or office job that's more suited to an elderly physique. Pretty sure you'd be much better off financially going into debt but keeping the 401k, since if things go south and you aren't able to repay the debt your 401k is mostly protected from bankruptcy.

Mom just sounds grossly financially irresponsible here, and like she's looking for the kids to save her from her bad decisions.

Farg posted:

you need to take marriage more seriously

Or join forces with the people appalled to discover that divorce is not a quick and simple five minute process if at least one party has issue with it a while back ITT.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Hell, in the US a mutual divorce with no issues will often require either a lengthy separation beforehand or a period after filing before it takes into effect, if not both. One of the telltale signs of a made up post is when the divorce is done and over with in like a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's definitely a plague of boomers reaching retirement age and then blowing up their lives and blowing their savings out of boredom.