Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Hootington posted:

There will be a young Sheldon spin off

Old Sheldon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He's old fashioned, but his love conquers any small-minded beliefs he holds

except for trusting a Russian Orthodox man
and who can fault him for that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
tevye is a zionist pig but he'll settle for rolling underground

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Al! posted:

tevye is a zionist pig but he'll settle for rolling underground

whoa absolutely not, at least not movie Tevye
he says "gently caress Jerusalem" and kicks it for new york and hard hearted as he tries to see you know he's gonna be asking about those letters from Chava in like a week

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Thinking I need to rewatch Fiddler since it's been almost 30 years since I've seen it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah there's only one explicit Zionist in the text and it's Yenta. Tevye is just Jewish Hank Hill

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

loquacius posted:

Yeah there's only one explicit Zionist in the text and it's Yenta. Tevye is just Jewish Hank Hill

jewish Hank Hill is goddamned perfect approximation

he doesn't understand or even necessarily like what's going on with his daughters but he loves them and he couldn't not love them even if he wanted to

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ill be honest ive only read the stories

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

man's basically a damned folk hero with moves like Bob Fosse

If I could aspire to little else it would be to hold the people I dislike with the same regard he shows the people he doesn't like in that flick

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gibson is objectively a hack but he's also a deeply strange freak even by the standards of being Australian Catholic etc and this results in very entertaining movies

My fav weird scene in Passion is when Judas is in the sewers running into his own future ghost who is also a zombie

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Blood Boils posted:

Gibson is objectively a hack but he's also a deeply strange freak even by the standards of being Australian Catholic etc and this results in very entertaining movies

My fav weird scene in Passion is when Judas is in the sewers running into his own future ghost who is also a zombie

Mel Gibson is American, despite having lived in Australia for a portion of his early adulthood

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

There will be a young Sheldon spin off

The people yearn for more Sheldon

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mel Gibson is also a profoundly stupid person lol

quote:

In a July 1995 interview with Playboy, Gibson said President Bill Clinton was a "low-level opportunist" and someone was "telling him what to do". He said that the Rhodes Scholarship was established for young men and women who want to strive for a "new world order" and this was a campaign for Marxism.[189]

he thinks the Rhodes scholarship is a tool to train Marxists lmao

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you want the really good insane Mel Gibson anecdotes, you gotta read Heaven and Mel by Joe Eszterhas, his tell-all about the time they tried to make a movie about the Maccabees together

Edit: some highlights https://www.thedailybeast.com/17-craziest-bits-from-joe-eszterhas-ebook-about-mel-gibson-heaven-and-mel

Uncle Boogeyman has issued a correction as of 04:19 on May 3, 2024

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Gibson is one of those Catholics who are so catholic they decided the church isn’t catholic enough so they became a sort of Protestant, but catholicly. It’s one of the funniest religious tendencies out there imo

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you want the really good insane Mel Gibson anecdotes, you gotta read Heaven and Mel by Joe Eszterhas, his tell-all about the time they tried to make a movie about the Maccabees together

Edit: some highlights https://www.thedailybeast.com/17-craziest-bits-from-joe-eszterhas-ebook-about-mel-gibson-heaven-and-mel

very bogan voice] I WANT MY MACCAS

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PeoplesWorld/status/1786257553741193551

why is Peoples World doing pop culture prestige TV reviews

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

According to the infancy gospel he absolutely meant to murder those kids. Although there is one time a kid accidently died and people blamed Jesus, so he brought the kid back to life so he could say Jesus didnt do it

Oh poo poo it's the second one I'm thinking of. I thought the story included Jesus being the one to cause him to fall off a roof but must have gotten it confused.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

gently caress yeah that's the kind of trash I want

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/PeoplesWorld/status/1786257553741193551

why is Peoples World doing pop culture prestige TV reviews

It's still lol when legacy media does reviews of genre stuff being shocked that it has themes and characters and performances, like they've never seen any before in their lives and assume it's all spaceships blowing each other up for no reason

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I liked that video game movie with the guy from Winter Soldier but seeing Mel Gibson's glazed and weirdo presence in the movie definitely dampened things. He's not even a good actor! Why put him in there!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm just in it for the space ships blowing each other up for no reason

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
usually the ships are blowing each other up for melodramatic space opera reasons

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Metric Skeleton posted:

it would have been a cool plot point if they’d made jesus build his own cross. he could have used his carpentry knowledge to engineer some undetectable failure points and make good an escape

lmao

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Regarde Aduck posted:

usually the ships are blowing each other up for melodramatic space opera reasons

I recently finished the 5 book space opera series "Exordium" and that had a couple really good spaceship battles all in the name of stopping a comically evil planet of super torturers from seizing power :hai:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Al! posted:

ill be honest ive only read the stories

"guy who has read Tevye The Dairyman but doesn't feel any desire to watch Fiddler On The Roof" is an interesting kind of guy I gotta say

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Les Enfant Terribles, Zero called it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My name is Tevye, and I sell milk and milk accessories

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That girl ain't right

but look at her eyes. She loves him, I'll tell ya what.
Dang it, Hodel, you have my blessing.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Spergin Morlock posted:

Mel Gibson is American, despite having lived in Australia for a portion of his early adulthood

Exactly he went from the america of the south pacific to actual america. He's double american!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Who sells the grills and the grill accessories?
The papa!
The papa!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

"guy who has read Tevye The Dairyman but doesn't feel any desire to watch Fiddler On The Roof" is an interesting kind of guy I gotta say

i didnt even know it was adapted to a musical until much later

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MabjUIUj6uo lool rip drake

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

but he didn't even name drake how do you know it's about him???

very curious to see how drake responds, because it seems like kendrick's ready to go nuclear if this goes another round

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Kendrick shpuld call drake a pedophile

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

round three opening with a voicemail Drake left Millie Bobby Brown lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

it appears headed that way

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
There is a fortnite leaker whose favorite rapper is drake and his 2nd is Kendrick and in-between fortnite leaks all he talks about is how much he loves both of them

Let's just say the last week has had some odd tweets from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

There is a fortnite leaker whose favorite rapper is drake and his 2nd is Kendrick and in-between fortnite leaks all he talks about is how much he loves both of them

Let's just say the last week has had some odd tweets from him.

I don’t really care about drake or Kendrick or Fortnite but I really appreciate that this is a person that exists