Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

smug jeebus posted:

Which they'll probably celebrate as some kind of victory
Well, it is some kind of victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cutedge posted:

If only someone would make it. I mean poo poo I kind of want to just work on one because every game like this seems to go off the rails by not being focused and never taking most of their systems past minimum viable product. I have a lot of complaints about Elite but it's also just the only game in town, y'know? Walking around on stations could be cool, but also what is the point? They added ground combat and it's... fine? It's not great, and again the content is MVP. It doesn't help that doing footwar directly bones the frogs so that's out the window.

It's funny because X4 had "doing stuff on foot" from launch and it was exactly as Fluffy and Inconsequential as you could possibly want from a primarily-sim game-- docking means you have a Magic Space Elevator that connects to the station and there's a diagetic "literally just teleport to the cockpit" button, so you can spend exactly as much or as little time RP walking around your ship/the station as you feel like doing. But elite had to go to the ground with FPS gameplay that literally nobody asked for on top of not doing the "being able to walk around in your ship" that everyone was asking for, for some inexplicable reason

Cutedge posted:

I get that them going back to Elite is definitely a desperation move rather than them wanting to return to something and having a real desire to do active development on the game. It's pretty clear Odyssey was massive egg on their face and something that they couldn't overcome. It wouldn't have surprised me if they put the game into maintenance mode after that. It's possible that some of the upcoming work they are doing is to put the game more into maintenance mode by making it based more on automated systems. The issue is definitely going to be that if they are bringing people onto Elite or back onto Elite, there's going to be a lot of mythical man month before we see that pan out and in the meantime we'll probably see things just get broken as people aren't familiar with the bandaids and duct tape in the codebase. But hey, it probably couldn't ever be as bad as what is going on with Conan Exiles :haw: :v::suicide:

honestly I feel like the game's been put "into maintenance mode" multiple times, they just didn't want to make it Official because people wouldn't buy the ship skins, and then they undid it when the other stuff they were trying to kick off failed and they had to come back to the preexisting watering hole. Wasn't there like a year and change there with no new CGs and no Galnet articles, just radio silence and one-sentence mentions of Elite in their quarterly filings?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's funny because X4 had "doing stuff on foot" from launch and it was exactly as Fluffy and Inconsequential as you could possibly want from a primarily-sim game-- docking means you have a Magic Space Elevator that connects to the station and there's a diagetic "literally just teleport to the cockpit" button, so you can spend exactly as much or as little time RP walking around your ship/the station as you feel like doing. But elite had to go to the ground with FPS gameplay that literally nobody asked for on top of not doing the "being able to walk around in your ship" that everyone was asking for, for some inexplicable reason

honestly I feel like the game's been put "into maintenance mode" multiple times, they just didn't want to make it Official because people wouldn't buy the ship skins, and then they undid it when the other stuff they were trying to kick off failed and they had to come back to the preexisting watering hole. Wasn't there like a year and change there with no new CGs and no Galnet articles, just radio silence and one-sentence mentions of Elite in their quarterly filings?
In X4, some of the ships let you want in and out of them directly, including crawling up ladders like! :science:

The other big thing about maintenance mode in addition to the things you've rightly pointed out, is that they'd either have to finally admit that they aren't ever going to opensource it, or actually do it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The other big thing about maintenance mode in addition to the things you've rightly pointed out, is that they'd either have to finally admit that they aren't ever going to opensource it, or actually do it.

Yeah I always figured they were full of poo poo about the "if we ever take down the servers we'll make an offline mode then" (since they were full of poo poo about making an offline mode in the first place), but with the addition of ARX it was always going to be a ship-sailed situation as long as the trickle of ARX income outpaces the minimal cost of just running the servers, as hundreds of barely-staggering-along old MMOs can attest to. The Big Cost is in the original development, but keeping something shambling along to join the horde with stuff like DC Universe Online and LOTRO is apparently still Profitable Enough to justify itself.

The more realistic outcome is once they've hosed up enough times with other properties, they just sell Elite Dangerous outright to one of those "old MMO maintainer" companies before vanishing as a publisher.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wasn't there like a year and change there with no new CGs and no Galnet articles, just radio silence and one-sentence mentions of Elite in their quarterly filings?

Honestly, this part still confuses the heck out of me, because it seems to be fairly easy to just program a function that randomly picks some station, then the faction running the station, selecting x activity from a pool (scanning, combat, mining, trading, etc.) and then selecting numbers and rewards based on some semi-random function.

Then you could have generic CGs each week, and the randomness would mean you'd get some really weird poo poo sometimes, but who loving cares? Next week there'll be another one!

Frontier could just insert their own, "important" CGs into this system whenever they want. That feels a lot smarter than the current system of only having manually added CGs and therefore zero community goals if the devs don't feel like adding one

Edit:

4 seconds of thinking made me realize they could do thing even easier by hooking up this hypothetical CG-system to the background-simulation, have certain situations trigger a CG, like oh no system X has a famine, and if it's chosen by the RNG for CGing, the system goes famine = collect medicine, or something like that

Libluini fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 27, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I'm not sure whether it's inability to make it play ball with their codebase or a control freak mindset, but the fact that stuff like CGs exist and that Galnet, player factions, new stations, station upgrades can only happen through manual intervention from FD is pretty sad for a mmo. There's the BGS already, so why not tie it to said stuff, let it trigger events and let players decide how to deal with it? Not sure if that's still the case these days, but I've seen many players over the years begging FD on forums for a CGs for their faction and it's so loving cringe and unnecessary.

Is that station in Sothis still "under construction"?

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 27, 2024

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Weirdly they do have the capability to do automated CGs. The legacy version of the game, as seen on consoles, no longer receives active development, but it has like an automated rotation of semi-generic CGs go in every other week or something.

I think PlayStation has some trophy tied to doing a CG, so they were kind of obligated to leave CGs in some form on console. I know there's one recurring genericish CG to kill some Thargoid interceptors, for example.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

if the new feature is really basebuilding, i look forward to being as disappointed as possible with every facet of it

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
the only way basebuilding would interest me is if it allows me to colonize the weirdest, most hostile places ten thousand light years away from everyone else

also, I'd be excited if we're allowed to put guns on our bases and order them to shoot other players coming for a visit

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HJE-Cobra posted:

Weirdly they do have the capability to do automated CGs. The legacy version of the game, as seen on consoles, no longer receives active development, but it has like an automated rotation of semi-generic CGs go in every other week or something.

I think PlayStation has some trophy tied to doing a CG, so they were kind of obligated to leave CGs in some form on console. I know there's one recurring genericish CG to kill some Thargoid interceptors, for example.

:lol: that's a great prank by :frontear:

we get all the story progression, they get all the missing mechanics to get a full game :allears:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Libluini posted:

the only way basebuilding would interest me is if it allows me to colonize the weirdest, most hostile places ten thousand light years away from everyone else

also, I'd be excited if we're allowed to put guns on our bases and order them to shoot other players coming for a visit

i feel like im open to all sorts of possibilities for base building i just also feel fdev is the company that could gently caress all of them up

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

altho i will say, i noticed they basically made a base building space game and when i found out i desperately hoped theyd just "steal" their own assets and combine it into elite.

i never played it but visually/conceptually it seems neat. i just refuse to assume theyll make a good change or be optimistic about their abilities because i played odyssey

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Worf posted:

altho i will say, i noticed they basically made a base building space game and when i found out i desperately hoped theyd just "steal" their own assets and combine it into elite.

i never played it but visually/conceptually it seems neat. i just refuse to assume theyll make a good change or be optimistic about their abilities because i played odyssey

I remember when the community was busy explaining how Frontier were totally was totally not losing focus because Planet Coaster was pretty much working on planetary structures/cities for ED, or later when it was the Jurassic Park thingie which was basically Frontier developing the tech for flora and fauna on Earthlikes. :allears:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Maybe they're for the secret good version of the game

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FishMcCool posted:

I remember when the community was busy explaining how Frontier were totally was totally not losing focus because Planet Coaster was pretty much working on planetary structures/cities for ED, or later when it was the Jurassic Park thingie which was basically Frontier developing the tech for flora and fauna on Earthlikes. :allears:

Elite is Frontier losing focus from making management games, which they made the pile of money that they used to finance Elite with.

Planet Coaster is still a fantastic game.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

FishMcCool posted:

their mistake was assuming fdev ever focused on elite in any capacity whatsoever

just ask the 2 remaining console players

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Yes, I would like to pay 16 euros for a poorly-outfitted Type 6, a ship you can surpass within 40 minutes of gameplay. (those pre-engineered mining lasers have the incendiary effect for no apparent reason, which is a handicap).

Fdev's vision of microtransactions continues to be batshit insane.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Pay2"win"

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
My favourite bit is how they added their garbage white van man "paintjob" to the pack in an attempt to make the whole thing more appealing.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

The only winning move is not to pay.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tommy the Newt posted:

Yes, I would like to pay 16 euros for a poorly-outfitted Type 6, a ship you can surpass within 40 minutes of gameplay. (those pre-engineered mining lasers have the incendiary effect for no apparent reason, which is a handicap).

Fdev's vision of microtransactions continues to be batshit insane.

spicy

also its worth noting that, imo, the early game where youd actually want a type 6 was easily the most fun part of the game for me. imagine robbing yourself of meaningfully upgrading to those ships lmao

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Python Mk 2 on tuesday.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm very excited about the changes and upcoming content and I am having just as much fun with Elite today as I did in 2014.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It looks like their "store update" means all items had their ARX price increased from 25-100%, lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

It looks like their "store update" means all items had their ARX price increased from 25-100%, lol

oof. kinda stupid honestly. makes me way less likely to spend at all

like im not gonna drop 20-27k on a ship kit

id rather just buy a whole video game

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Everybody knows the time to fleece nerds for spaceships in video games is during alpha.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

The prices of stuff in the store is just bad but a big part of that is that they put everything in bundles. I would consider buying some odyssey cosmetics potentially but they put them in like a hundred dollar bundle.

Unfortunately the price points they have on other stuff is kind of par for the course. When they put Space Marines in Call of Duty (lol) it was like 30 bucks. Modern gaming.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

yea but in CoD you dont have to pretend that youre playing a game while you listen to podcasts or watch tv

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
They also removed the restrictions on the timed/seasonal cosmetics too, I believe. Everything looks available now. I'm fine paying higher prices if it means I don't have to wait for a specific weekend of the year to get something like the midnight black paintjobs for my ships. I've missed an unfortunate amount of cool things due to being away from the game and oops, better luck next year

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

HonorableTB posted:

They also removed the restrictions on the timed/seasonal cosmetics too, I believe. Everything looks available now. I'm fine paying higher prices if it means I don't have to wait for a specific weekend of the year to get something like the midnight black paintjobs for my ships. I've missed an unfortunate amount of cool things due to being away from the game and oops, better luck next year

The funny thing is that I went to the wayback archive to compare the prices and there were dozens of random ship skins listed in 2023 that just seem to not exist now

so either they've hosed up their store changing the skins around, or they're doing the exact same fomo disney vault stuff with a different rotation of available ship skins

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

drat, I think this game finally got too enshittified for me.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

The funny thing is that I went to the wayback archive to compare the prices and there were dozens of random ship skins listed in 2023 that just seem to not exist now

so either they've hosed up their store changing the skins around, or they're doing the exact same fomo disney vault stuff with a different rotation of available ship skins

this is fdev so there's a very real possibility that both of those are true at the same time

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i feel bad for the people that were one week of 400 arx away from a skin.

according to reddit these went from 3200 to 6000, which checks out from memory and what was said here earlier

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

they're really doing this wrong

generate fomo by announcing the price hike and getting people to buy before the deadline

so bad at this

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
hosed up to get back into elite after…good lord almost 10 years away…only to find so many bugs and absolutely baffling design decisions unchanged from when i last played in addition to all the fun “new” ones. like, I would’ve thought that surely fdev would at some point have worked out mission scripting and payment balancing but it’s somehow even worse now? they seriously only ever made the one ground car for horizons but also put completely superfluous multi-car garage modules in the game? they never figured out that you should probably be able to jump from a primary star to the others in the same system? mission timers are still a thing because they never compromised for the sake of the game and just paid you on mission completion and it’s apparently even worse in odyssey because the bgs can prevent the mission giver from spawning if their faction is forced out of a location??? just amazing stuff

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Worf posted:

i feel bad for the people that were one week of 400 arx away from a skin.

according to reddit these went from 3200 to 6000, which checks out from memory and what was said here earlier

Lol, those prices are more in line with what CCP demands from its EVE-addicts. I guess Frontier became jealous. Are there still cheap skins left?

Because CCP gets away with this by also selling some skins for dirt cheap. And blasting the player base with free skins. And allowing players to just find them in game. And "find" them, of course.

But CCP just announced a new system to allow players to make their own skins, so Frontier is again two steps behind. :allears:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's two cars now. The new one is designed for combat but is somehow worse at it than the original. Multi vehicle garages always had a point, though, they mean you don't have to go back to a station every time you lose one to poor driving a bug some total bullshit unforeseen circumstances.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVxgCpBTSpU

This video sums up the changes pretty neatly. It seems truly daft from my perspective, this makes me considerably less likely to give them money but hey, there is a chance I'm not the target audience (despite being a person who's been slavishly and exhaustively playing the game for 10 years).

Really depressing that they package good, cool changes like the introduction of SCO drives and new ships with such lovely changes that completely eclipse and erase any goodwill they might have generated. If only they could do a Hello Games, but alas.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Also like, I don't think ARX prices have ever increased since they were introduced. If ARX were introduced today that's likely the price point they'd be at out the door, we're just spoiled from years of inflation-immune cosmetic pricing

Looking at my purchase history, the ARX price is consistent back to the first time I bought some in 2020. They'll probably reduce the cost a bit to address the discontent but I guess overall I think people are kind of overreacting to a price increase when it's the first time it's gone up in 5 years and the company itself is doing fairly badly from a financial standpoint. If you enjoy Elite, this is probably how it's going to be funded until FDev can manage to make another game that makes money.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

HonorableTB posted:

Also like, I don't think ARX prices have ever increased since they were introduced. If ARX were introduced today that's likely the price point they'd be at out the door, we're just spoiled from years of inflation-immune cosmetic pricing

Looking at my purchase history, the ARX price is consistent back to the first time I bought some in 2020. They'll probably reduce the cost a bit to address the discontent but I guess overall I think people are kind of overreacting to a price increase when it's the first time it's gone up in 5 years and the company itself is doing fairly badly from a financial standpoint. If you enjoy Elite, this is probably how it's going to be funded until FDev can manage to make another game that makes money.

I strongly disagree with you here. You need to compare the cost of simple cosmetics in other live service games rather than just say "but inflation". The prices for many of the items now are insane, like "buy a whole new videogame" money. These are not microtransactions. And yeah, Fdev have been doing poorly financially because they keep making bad decisions and producing poor content. There are many things people would be willing to pay for, especially if they were to generate some goodwill from the community, but devaluing people's existing ARSE overnight in a sweaty corporate panic is not good.

If you enjoy the game and want to support it, that's great. I also enjoy the game and want to support it, but you seem to be engaging in a fair amount of mental gymnastics to excuse something that isn't even well-executed from a business perspective.