Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I mean yeah, DE in act 1 is usually a curse, but it's a curse that says "boost win rate by like 150% if you survive act 1", and ironclad is pretty good at surviving act 1 even with an extra curse in the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Heard in a recent Baalor vid that the pattern on the membership card relic is the same as the merchant's rug. :waycool:

Been playing this game for years and never put that together!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just had a bonkers Silent build. Double-effect potions, potion belt, guaranteed potion after every fight, 3 x upgraded Alchemist. Just hucking bottles of whatever at everything and guzzling them constantly.

Went into the Heart with three Fairy in a Bottles and wiped it out no prob.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Poison is the least interesting part of Silent's kit and I wish there was a version of Silent that had a different mechanic.

Putting together an insane draw/discard deck where you play 10+ cards a turn is super fun. I had a run last night (sadly unsuccessful) with Storm of Steel, Unload, Calculated Gamble+ and multiple copies of Reflex/Tactician.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

SKULL.GIF posted:

Poison is the least interesting part of Silent's kit and I wish there was a version of Silent that had a different mechanic.

Putting together an insane draw/discard deck where you play 10+ cards a turn is super fun. I had a run last night (sadly unsuccessful) with Storm of Steel, Unload, Calculated Gamble+ and multiple copies of Reflex/Tactician.

I used to be a certified shiv enjoyed but going discard infinite is an even bigger dopamine dispenser.

Poison = big brain

Shivs = humungo brain

Discard = galaxy brain

metachronos fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 3, 2024

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

metachronos posted:

I used to be a certified shiv enjoyed but going discard infinite is an even bigger doapmine dispenser.

Poison = big brain

Shivs = humungo brain

Discard = galaxay brain

Oh yeah there's nothing like using Calculated Gamble+ to discard a Reflex+ and draw another Calculated Gamble+ with a Tingsha or Tough Bandages

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No Calculated Gambles, Reflexes, or Tacticians, yet I was playing 10-15 cards a turn still:

Buncha 0-costs, exhausts, and Concentrates combined with Nunchaku and Unceasing Top.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

I often get the same feeling playing the Hermit with Downfall, very highly recommended. I still want Mega Crit to do one more update to the game and just say "Hermit is so good we just want to add him to the base game, thanks modders!"

edit: for clarity, by "same feeling" i mean it feels like an alternate version of Silent sometimes

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
If you click on the Calling Bell to look at its lore text you can use the card hotkeys to play musical notes like a piano

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

This fuckin' game

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mymla posted:

I mean yeah, DE in act 1 is usually a curse, but it's a curse that says "boost win rate by like 150% if you survive act 1", and ironclad is pretty good at surviving act 1 even with an extra curse in the deck.

Maybe. At high ascensions, I feel like more often than not I find myself bricking a draw in one of my first two turns and losing half my max HP vs Guardian or Slime Boss or Gremlin Knob or Jaw worm & slime or 4 gremlins or

I do agree a mid-run Dark Embrace is a windmill slam without any support

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 4, 2024

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I had a pretty decent defect going last night. Midway through act 2 I hit 3 birds in a ? and they wrecked me so hard. I pumped out of that fight but the next was the gremlin leader and I died after my first turn.

Those loving birds.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

I had a pretty decent defect going last night. Midway through act 2 I hit 3 birds in a ? and they wrecked me so hard. I pumped out of that fight but the next was the gremlin leader and I died after my first turn.

Those loving birds.
rolling into that fight with a turn 1 electrodynamics is some beautiful revenge

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

A few days ago I was playing defect and in a pickle vs the reptomancer. Then Creative AI gave me Electrodynamics and suddenly I had the upper hand.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Random question that has probably been answered, but how is the mobile port? Does it work well on a phone screen, or is it clunky? Would like to get a phone game to scratch the card game itch that isn't micro transaction hell.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I played for 130 hours on my switch and then bought the iOS version a few months ago and I’m coming up on 80 hours.

I’ve never played a game in my phone ever before. It’s perfectly serviceable.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

jesus WEP posted:

One time when I met the byrds I had Red Mask in the relic bar and got my Caltrops+ on turn 1. I'm pretty sure all three byrds attacked too. That was immensely satisfying.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Roxors posted:

Random question that has probably been answered, but how is the mobile port? Does it work well on a phone screen, or is it clunky? Would like to get a phone game to scratch the card game itch that isn't micro transaction hell.

i’ve probably played more sts on my phone than on my pc at this point. the only issue i have is that afaict there’s no way to see the upgraded version of a card from the card reward screen. otherwise it’s perfect

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Roxors posted:

I have 346 hours on the phone. Its a pretty awesome port

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Roxors posted:

Played literally over 800 hours on Android.

I've seen some people complain about the cards "sticking" when trying to play them but I haven't seen that myself. Not sure which platform you're on, but if Android may as well give it a shot and refund if it feels off.

I will caution it does not do great with multitasking. On some patches it was a disaster, but currently it does occasionally crash in the background if I go do something else for a bit. And then other times it will be fine for ... 12 hours.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Roxors posted:

It's a mid tier port, imo. Perfectly playable, with some UI issues that will occasionally cause the game to crash or play the wrong card.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

jetz0r posted:

It's a mid tier port, imo. Perfectly playable, with some UI issues that will occasionally cause the game to crash or play the wrong card.

Exactly this.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Oh that's nice, the particle effects floating around the Heart's chamber move away from your mouse pointer.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mid act 3 on my a20 watcher run today: man I desperately need some block.

My purchases in two shops prior to boss: duality and orange pellets.

I can't recall a more perfect instance of the spire giving me exactly what I needed, given I was running a double flurry deck that wasn't infinite. Went from tense to a laugher, especially since I missed tim in the gauntlet.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

also

it kept happening

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Finally got past A07 with Watcher and slew the heart for good measure

Got the fossilized helix from Neow and knew it was going to be good run, picked up the fan from one of the first elites, and got wristblades on the 2nd floor. I didnt take a point of damage until I got to the heart

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Roxors posted:

I play it more than desktop just because it's the perfect game for train rides. Works fine on a small screen except for swiping up carelessly accidentally going to Home Screen but it's not like you're in a rush in a turn based game. Well worth it IMO.

there are a few bugs including a funny one that takes away ring of the serpants downside and so makes it silents absolute best relic.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Had an insane Silent deck on my phone yesterday while I was stuck at the laundromat. I had picked a couple good attacks, got the "reach into the ooze for a relic" event and got white beast statue on the first try on like floor 3 so I was also pretty free with using my potions, but it wasn't until pretty late in act 1 that I finally got a Bouncing Flask, which is at least some scaling. I ended up going Pandora's Box from the act 1 boss, and Calling Bell from act 2, but anyway I ended up with a Nightmare+, 3 Wraith Form+, Well-laid Plans, and 2 Catalyst+ so none of that poo poo mattered lol. Pandora's Box gave me a Bullet Time, which was really funny to draw right after nightmaring wraith form. It was pretty amazing having like 15 intangible against Reptomancer and realizing I just don't need to kill the daggers. I even got Tungsten Rod from the Calling Bell so I just didn't take damage.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

How am I supposed to make Wraith Form work? Like I understand that in theory it can be a really powerful card but it seems like it's only worth it if you can immediately negate its downside or have some manner of generating dexterity to offset it. I grabbed it yesterday in a run where I already had kunai & multiple foot works but it really didn't feel like it was helping that much as I could already stack enough block to mitigate almost any damage that was coming in. Is it supposed to be used as an 'oh poo poo' button in case you get yourself into a pickle?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You use it when you don't want to take damage.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

How am I supposed to make Wraith Form work? Like I understand that in theory it can be a really powerful card but it seems like it's only worth it if you can immediately negate its downside or have some manner of generating dexterity to offset it. I grabbed it yesterday in a run where I already had kunai & multiple foot works but it really didn't feel like it was helping that much as I could already stack enough block to mitigate almost any damage that was coming in. Is it supposed to be used as an 'oh poo poo' button in case you get yourself into a pickle?
Wraith form's utility depends on your deck speed and block generation. If your deck may require several turns to start killing everyone (poison, especially), then wraith form exists to buy you that time. Two wraith forms on an otherwise mediocre poison deck can make the heart fight trivial.

It's less good if you already can generate adequate block or intend to win through card cycling/discard. Footworks and kunai mean a few low cost block cards like deflect and backflip can solve your block, so as long as your deck is fast enough to scale them to mitigate the big turn 1-3 attacks you're set without wraith form. It's not quite a curse but it's just mostly redundant if you don't need to buy time.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
You don't (generally) mitigate the downside of Wraith Form by scaling dex. Either you use artifact/orange pellets to get rid of the debuff, you chain multiple Wraith Forms to stay in intangible even longer, or (most commonly) you win the fight before the intangible wears off. Wraith form is so powerful because it lets you not play defense for several turns, so you can spend all your energy dealing damage, which is usually enough to win the fight.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Wraith form blocks 99% of the damage you would take the turn you play it, so it's like the biggest block card in the game. It also blocks 99% of the damage you would take on your NEXT turn, which means that you have a whole turn to just draw cards and do damage. And if it's upgraded, then you have an ENTIRE OTHER TURN to just do damage. If the enemy is still around, then you hosed up, either by not putting damage cards in your deck, or playing it way too early against an elite or boss. Against regular hallway fights, you can pretty much just play it whenever you first draw it and usually be OK. Against bosses, something like Well-Laid Plans lets you hold it for when you need it, like a Hyperbeam turn on Automaton, or when the Champ enrages.

If you have something like Kunai you can just play attacks and ignore the downside, especially in a shiv deck. Or if you have non-dex methods of blocking, like piercing wail, after image, tough bandages, abacus, or ornamental fan you can just ignore the debuff. Finally, if you have a source of Artifact or Orange Pellets, you can just negate the debuff.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

You have 3 turns to win or play another wraith form after playing it. 3 is a lot of turns especially when you no longer have to block. Even though most of turn 1 is just spent playing the card, turn 2 is all offense, turn 3 is all offense, then turn 4 you'll take damage again but if you have the damage to win here you won't take any.

Don't play WF before you have a path to win soon.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 6, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The key to understanding why Wraith Form is good is basically just getting that multiple turns of effective invulnerability is loving huge. Yes, the dex drain kind of sucks, but against hallway fights you should either bye finishing fights or be extremely close to finishing fights by the time it wears off and against anything stronger you can nullify their biggest hits and then still have a turn or more to spare. If you're too slow at killing things and don't have any way to deal with the downsides it loses value but if you reach the point the downside really starts to stick then you're just not doing enough damage anyway.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

as others have said, the number one way to mitigate the downside is to win the fight before it matters.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
When I first began playing this game, I had the same reticence to using cards like Wraith Form, Corruption, Biased Cognition - it took a while (and I still struggle with it) to fully realize the power of these cards. The downsides look destructive, but are in fact negligible if your deck works. Corruption deletes all your skills? Great! They won't draw again when you need damage - as I heard Baalor say recently on one of the streams, the only way to win is to deal damage. Blocking, mitigating incoming damage, every other card/relic in the game should serve one purpose - letting you do the damage and play the attack cards required to beat the fight so you can move farther up the Spire.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
A single unupgraded wraith form is pretty bad. A single upgraded wraith form is decent, but not great.

An upgraded wraith form copied by nightmare supported by apparitions or any other source of intangible breaks the game.

It's definitely not a slam pick, but it can completely solve blocking with just a few cards. I don't like it much, personally. It's clunky, and intangible is a really imbalanced mechanic, which makes the card pretty unfun.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mymla posted:

A single unupgraded wraith form is pretty bad. A single upgraded wraith form is decent, but not great.

An upgraded wraith form copied by nightmare supported by apparitions or any other source of intangible breaks the game.

It's definitely not a slam pick, but it can completely solve blocking with just a few cards. I don't like it much, personally. It's clunky, and intangible is a really imbalanced mechanic, which makes the card pretty unfun.
A single upgraded wraith form is extremely great. I think it is the definition of a slam pick (outside of stupid boring answers like seek and adrenaline).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, i think I would pretty much always pick a Wraith Form unless I desperately needed damage, or my block needs were already all set. It's almost as much of a slam pick as adrenaline.