Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Rectal Death Alert posted:

the PSN requirement was never on, that's why there is an update telling everyone it starts May 30th

It was possible to link at launch, just wasn't reliable thanks to the game blowing up every server it was linked to. Mine's been linked since then and literally haven't had to worry about it since, it's a one-and-done thing for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

This Sony stuff is no big deal. You don't need to make an account, cause there's probably a giant pastebin full of logins and passwords of other people's accounts. You can just use one of those!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I continue to love this dev for being so powerfully capable at pissing off nerds.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Kevin Bacon posted:

This Sony stuff is no big deal. You don't need to make an account, cause there's probably a giant pastebin full of logins and passwords of other people's accounts. You can just use one of those!

Nice.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I tried to make an account and it just literally would not let me, it was broken. But people love to defend giant corporations on the internet I guess, because hey at least they annoy the people you don't like!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Edit: Eh, no need to be snippy on my part.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The account thing is minor, but stupid and seems pointless. I cannot see what benefit it brings to the PC user. Its purpose seems to solely be to allow some Sony Suits to brag about Number Go Up with all the new accounts they're forcing to be made.

In the end its just a minor annoyance, but sometimes those can be the most frustrating.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The account thing is minor, but stupid and seems pointless. I cannot see what benefit it brings to the PC user. Its purpose seems to solely be to allow some Sony Suits to brag about Number Go Up with all the new accounts they're forcing to be made.

In the end its just a minor annoyance, but sometimes those can be the most frustrating.

Its because it's needed for crossplay as well.

I logged in day 1 with a throwaway account and have never seen anything psn related since.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
They are doing it to sell our data and get our credit cards on file. It’s not some generous or philanthropic act, just pure money baby.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lord Packinham posted:

They are doing it to sell our data and get our credit cards on file. It’s not some generous or philanthropic act, just pure money baby.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They want to let you have cross-progression on PS5 and on PC (which would be rad) so I imagine it's a part of that too.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Lord Packinham posted:

Sony already lost my CC# once before. they're so desperate to do it again.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

jokes posted:

They want to let you have cross-progression on PS5 and on PC (which would be rad) so I imagine it's a part of that too.

What does making the linking mandatory have to do with this though? Surely if you're one of the very few (I imagine) who owns and plays the game on both platforms you can just link them voluntarily?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Lord Packinham posted:

You don't need a credit card to create a psn account for helldivers 2

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

PSN is a free account that you use exactly one time and the game logs you in automatically after that.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Hell, made a PSN account for my youngest to play back at release. Took about 5 minutes tops and literally haven't touched it since. Making a PSN account for literally ONE purpose like this is way less effort than some are saying.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Its because it's needed for crossplay as well.

I logged in day 1 with a throwaway account and have never seen anything psn related since.

crossplay was enabled in game by default for me and I never linked an account.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ouroboros posted:

I tried to make an account and it just literally would not let me, it was broken. But people love to defend giant corporations on the internet I guess, because hey at least they annoy the people you don't like!
This is dumb caveman talk, but try another browser? I linked my already existing account at launch, and trying to log in to PSN itself on Edge today is all "Oh gosh connection timed out" every time, while dusting off firefox worked just fine because ??? (I had the forever captcha logging in after ages before launch).

Unless it is telling you to get hosed trying to create it via a playstation console, in which case gently caress if I know.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Mashing buttons trying to get through the playstation logo that now plays before the helldivers intro faster. Minor, yes. Another small delay added to the pile, also yes :sigh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 3, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I will admit I'm a bit pissy that you fuckers spent multiple days mocking me for thinking it was mandatory and convincing me it was optional only to turn around and be like "what did you expect, it's a requirement right there on the steam page". >:|

"Hey this says it's mandatory" was my original position after seeing the link splash page, even if I never saw the small dark yellow box below the fold on the side of the screen on the steam page that said it wasn't, and y'all convinced me I was being dumb!

Ouroboros posted:

Get someone else to do it for you, or use a computer at someone else's home, that's what I did and it was fine. It was attached to my specific... something that was tracking my identity, but there's nothing to stop someone from just making one for you and handing it over.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 3, 2024

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm with you. The whole reason I use steam is to avoid this kind of poo poo. I want nothing to do with Sony considering their numerous data breaches and apparently they want poo poo like drivers license confirmation of your age. There are plenty of other games to play. Going to try to refund when the cutoff hits.

Can confirm that this is bullshit btw at least from my experience with Helldivers / PSN account

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Owl Inspector posted:

Full crossplay is still very broken. It is basically impossible to add a PS player as a friend unless you are already on their destroyer.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Drone_Fragger posted:

It's still data, it's always valuable on its own.
Even if only to inflate some subscriber numbers at the next shareholders meeting.

Also, I just started playing and there seems to be a distinct lack of trolls in this game? I thought I would get teamkilled at least few times since I don't even have a mic to communicate but everyone has put up with my noob rear end quite gracefully.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

Crossplay (especially Crossplay friends) have been pretty hosed since launch. It's always been at the top of the "Known Issues" list.

The general consensus is that the mandatory account thing has mainly two reasons.

1. Sony being a big company. Paradox does it, Epic/EA/etc/etc/etc/etc. It's not new it's just a big name doing the thing everyone else always does so people don't like it.

2. Crossplay/friends/etc likely need some from of account linking to work properly and until its required it can't be fully fixed.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ouroboros posted:

Here, I made one for you, see if it works:
email: gowiw85731@lewenbo.com
password: pmr5pgd_WVQ_arz8yxu

(also, lmfao that now that I have one functioning account I'm apparently whitelisted, I didn't even need to do ANY sort of captcha for that fake bullshit)

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I didn't even realize you could skip the PSN account until today.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
My main takeaway from all this is rip to anyone that the website decides "go gently caress yourself". I linked my account at launch, but ended up deleting my cookies about 2 months ago and the website literally has not allowed me to log back in since.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

more like psn everyone off for no good reason

gottem

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Retro42 posted:

It's "blowing up" in the sense that a very vocal minority are going to say this is the end of all things and everyone else will just make/link an account with PSN. Or more likely not even notice because they did it already when it was in front of their face at game launch.

This isn't new or shocking info, it was always the way it was built into the game.

The problem isn’t that it requires a login, the problem is they didn’t region lock the game on steam and now a lot of people who bought this game with no prior knowledge of Sony’s bullshit because they aren’t Sony customers are about to be locked out.

There’s already a ton of people on Reddit finding out the hard way that a PSN account isn’t in the cards for them.

Edit: if they hadn’t panic reacted and made it so you could skip linking these folks would have found out within the refund window.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 3, 2024

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tafferling posted:

Even if only to inflate some subscriber numbers at the next shareholders meeting.

Also, I just started playing and there seems to be a distinct lack of trolls in this game? I thought I would get teamkilled at least few times since I don't even have a mic to communicate but everyone has put up with my noob rear end quite gracefully.

You are almost guaranteed to get TK’ed by stratagems at some point and if you’re particularly unlucky, someone will land a reinforcement pod on you. but straight up friendly fire/deliberate griefers are pretty rare. I got to level 40 doing all pubs/no vc and I’ve only run into a couple of players who started poo poo on purpose. Incompetence is much more widespread than malice

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm pretty sure the vendor blocking huge swathes of people from being able to play is one of steam's unofficial allowed-refund reasons.

however that hasn't happened yet so we'll see

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tafferling posted:

oh no the dastardly sony corporation has obtained my account information consisting of the name "poops mcgoots", username "dookie", password "pantsSh1tt3r"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

oh no the dastardly sony corporation has obtained my account information consisting of the name "poops mcgoots", username "dookie", password "pantsSh1tt3r"

User age 25-40, male. Send them testicle razor ads.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
leave it to sony to store my password in plain text

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

User age 25-40, male. Send them testicle razor ads.

Ball Shavers for Balls Havers

I should be a marketing executive

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

leave it to sony to store my password in plain text

You expect the guy checking the password list against what you type in to have to run it through a caesar cipher first? That'd take waaaay too long.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This account thing sucks for the people who can't make an account because of region locking. That's stupid and unfortunate.

But oh my God, everyone else, get over yourselves.

It doesn't ask for a credit card, so stop spreading that lie.

It also doesn't ask for a loving driver's license, wtf

You put in an email address and do a CAPTCHA and log in once in the game and never think about it again. It's significantly less intrusive than how all these other companies like EA and Epic and Ubisoft and Rockstar do it. It is a non-issue.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Insert name here posted:

My main takeaway from all this is rip to anyone that the website decides "go gently caress yourself".

also rip anyone from any territory like all of africa , the baltics, or the phillipines where you don’t have psn support. More than one person I play with frequently is basically getting banned because of this, that’s why I’m mad about it, for them. I hope they get all the negative reviews necessary to rethink this, but I know they won’t lol.

but yeah having to make an otherwise useless psn account is stupid and all that but it’s not actually difficult or time consuming. I just had to do it the other day for Rise of the Ronin. Still dumb as hell and if it keeps letting people play who are about to lose access, gently caress it review bomb away.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 3, 2024

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
If those Helldivers could read they would be very upset.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Review bombs and steam reviews own because corps can’t control it and it actually effects things.

Is the account stuff a minor issue? Yea but on the other hand, gently caress Sony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I fumbled the extract because I didn't know where the shuttle was and ran out of stamina lmao.