Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
psn has always been awful, only surpassed by nintendo's services in awfulness. a useful tip is to use the mobile app instead of the website that i can never get to log me in properly, most likely because of some cross-site cookie nonsense

easier to fiddle with between matches too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Requiring PSN if you play on PC, is a really bad decision, but its made even worst by the fact that evening signup for a PSN account on browser, is actually kinda loving terrible and prone to not working. I've had a PSN account since they were first made available with the launch of PSN on PS3, and I still have issues to this day logging into my account sometimes. The service has never been reliable. Not to mention that some regions of the world may not be able to make a PSN account, but I couldn't tell you how many Helldiver 2 players that actually impacts.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if it even impacted just one, that’s enough for me, but the philipines is actually a pretty nice little market they’re about to ban. It’s not big, but it’s not nothing. The system is fine how it is, optional.

yeah the app is the way to go, which sadly means another useless app on your phone tho lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 3, 2024

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

an injury to Juan is an injury to all

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

kliras posted:

psn has always been awful, only surpassed by nintendo's services in awfulness. a useful tip is to use the mobile app instead of the website that i can never get to log me in properly, most likely because of some cross-site cookie nonsense

easier to fiddle with between matches too
I've tried using the app to log-in and it still just times out my log-in request lol. Absolutely insane to me how awful and broken it is to try and log-in to my psn account that I actually happen to use due to owning a playstation. Like, how is it so bad lmao.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/pilestedt/status/1786417563628437933?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Don’t have a dog in this race since I think I actually managed to link my account day 1 somehow before the servers melted but this, and the ongoing PSN issues, seems pretty bad and self inflicted. They should have, at a minimum, set a way longer deadline of like end of year or more than a month if this was the direction they want to go. Or say he relinking is now available again sign up for cross-play and some free bonuses (also it’ll be required later but no rush).

Jumping right to sign up or else sucks.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

I linked my PSN account the day I bought the game because I was hoping it would do some cross-platform stats or something nifty like that. I understand the annoyance, I've been annoyed at having to make an X Box account to play some games through steam before but it's really a minor thing. Anyone region locked (if they actually get blocked from playing) should definitely get a refund though, but I'd be (only a little) surprised if Sony didn't didn't do something to keep those groups playing too. That's just throwing away free money!

It seems like a decent compromise would be that cross-platform play should just be disabled without a PSN link, but leave Steam play as is. It shouldn't be too difficult since there's already an option to disable cross-platform.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Love the corporate bootlickers coming in, it’s never wrong to poo poo on Sony. They are a multibillion dollar company they can take the bullying.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

https://x.com/pilestedt/status/1786417563628437933?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Don’t have a dog in this race since I think I actually managed to link my account day 1 somehow before the servers melted but this, and the ongoing PSN issues, seems pretty bad and self inflicted. They should have, at a minimum, set a way longer deadline of like end of year or more than a month if this was the direction they want to go. Or say he relinking is now available again sign up for cross-play and some free bonuses (also it’ll be required later but no rush).

the short deadline is just deeply weird. why would you stress out both your customers and engineers like this

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Drone_Fragger posted:

Its because it's needed for crossplay as well.

I logged in day 1 with a throwaway account and have never seen anything psn related since.

No it's not. I've been playing crossplay and never touched anything PSN.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Personally don't have a strong feeling on the topic(also linked fine Day 1) but it's worth noting how @Pilestedt (CEO of Arrowhead) is subtly telling everyone to yell at Sony and not them if they don't like the whole account linking thing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

kliras posted:

the short deadline is just deeply weird. why would you stress out both your customers and engineers like this

because your game's publisher has decided you have a short deadline, apparently

Retro42 posted:

Personally don't have a strong feeling on the topic(also linked fine Day 1) but it's worth noting how @Pilestedt (CEO of Arrowhead) is subtly telling everyone to yell at Sony and not them if they don't like the whole account linking thing.

from what i've seen they've been much more unsubtle about it on their discord

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Drone Incognito posted:

If those Helldivers could read they would be very upset.

The tutorial sells the fact that they can't read pretty hard, yeah.

just a lil ruckus
May 12, 2023
eh gently caress this game then, was fun, i have the witcher 3 to finish i guess

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

This account thing sucks for the people who can't make an account because of region locking. That's stupid and unfortunate.

But oh my God, everyone else, get over yourselves.

It doesn't ask for a credit card, so stop spreading that lie.

It also doesn't ask for a loving driver's license, wtf

You put in an email address and do a CAPTCHA and log in once in the game and never think about it again. It's significantly less intrusive than how all these other companies like EA and Epic and Ubisoft and Rockstar do it. It is a non-issue.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You put in 15+ captchas in my experience. It was weird!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

it does ask for a driver's license if you live in the uk because it's legally mandated there but i don't think sony is responsible for that one

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

It is a non-issue.

quoting for posterity before PSN has another 23 day outage.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
tbf psn has by far the weirdest captchas i've ever seen. some of them take forever to the point where i started questioning my own humanity

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/553850/view/4196868529806518741?l=english

Even the official announcement about it ends with:

Sony Interactive Entertainment

Arrowhead is likely about as happy about this as anyone else I think. Still holding out that it fixes the crossplay issues though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dandywalken posted:

You put in 15+ captchas in my experience. It was weird!

I gave up the first time after I put in 60 and it said just to be sure I needed to do 20 more.

My friend who ended up making it for me didn't have to do even one.

It's just so weird, lol.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

kliras posted:

tbf psn has by far the weirdest captchas i've ever seen. some of them take forever to the point where i started questioning my own humanity

I got to point a train in the direction of a hand. Twice. It was super wierd.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Lord Packinham posted:

Love the corporate bootlickers coming in, it’s never wrong to poo poo on Sony. They are a multibillion dollar company they can take the bullying.

yeah but have you considered that it doesn’t affect me personally??? if those thousands of players who are about to lose access for no real reason wanted to play so bad maybe they shouldn’t have had a bunch of other annoying people agree with them.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think the weird optics is that, the game has been mostly functional playing with obvious hot-mic console players for months so this other account isn't mandatory to play, what is it for if it doesn't make the game work?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

just a lil ruckus posted:

eh gently caress this game then, was fun, i have the witcher 3 to finish i guess

okay

W3 is a good game. So this isn't a bad choice.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Reiley posted:

I think the weird optics is that, the game has been mostly functional playing with obvious hot-mic console players for months so this other account isn't mandatory to play, what is it for if it doesn't make the game work?

i'm pretty sure that behind the scenes AH got a temporary pass to hold off on PSN integration because of the networking issues at launch, which PSN integration was presumably contributing to. but now the bill has come due and sony is not happy.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

w3 rocks, glad I waited (had a bad/dying pc for a while lol) to play with all of the dlc, the story in those is great

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Reiley posted:

Friend requests cross platform is a complete mess. Playing with randoms crossplatform works ok. Finding and matching with friends is a whole other thing unfortunately.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

kliras posted:

A good guess would be that Sony is being very strict about forcing this on them and not giving them any more excuses not to force the link, player refunds in unavailable regions be damned.

It is beyond lovely for the players in the philippines, baltic states, countries in africia and others that suddenly can't play the game they paid for and have been enjoying with no issues or warnings about this since launch because they could play it just fine and they disabled the psn link up at launch.

Personally I've had crossplay disabled since launch because I don't want to hear none of those controller mics and watch controller players get nibbled in the butt by hunters all day.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Lord Packinham posted:

I don't think anyone is defending Sony. This decision is pointless and dumb. It's just that, aside from the people who live in places without PSN access, this is such a miniscule issue that it's barely even worth talking about, let alone the absolutely hysterical tantrum the community at large seems to be throwing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

kliras posted:

HD2 is the 6th or 7th largest launch of a Playstation game ever and Sony is scrambling to capitalize on that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kliras posted:

turn off the TV posted:

because your game's publisher has decided you have a short deadline, apparently

from what i've seen they've been much more unsubtle about it on their discord

Yep.

It's not Arrowhead's choice, and Sony doesn't give a poo poo about the players' reactions, so please don't try to make this into some kind of political or moral thing. You can delete the game if a couple minutes of dumb sign in runaround really bothers you that much. If you like the game just do this stupid thing and then forget about it forever. Welcome to 2024.

Also boy, I thought some of the people here were overreacting salty idiots, but after going to find that picture on Reddit, phoooooooweeeeeee. There is no force whinier than a Gamer slightly inconvenienced. Good lord

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 3, 2024

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Maybe I'm just an old gamer now, but do people really not have throwaway accounts for almost every major service at this point? Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/EA/Ubi/Epic/etc. It's not exactly uncommon for games to want you to login to some service or another.

Fake-edit: I get that it's a bigger and less solvable issue in some regions. Not gonna downplay how much that sucks.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Reasons to defend Sony:

Ignorance

Contrarianism

Weeb that just woke up from a coma

The whiny screeds about minor complaints are vastly less interesting than the original topic.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I defend Sony because they give me what I crave: multiple movies about C tier spider man characters

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

What do you want people to do, fly to japan and picket their office? email their representative??? making a psn account, again only an option for people who actually can, is super easy but you can’t get over the terrible hurdle of Not Reading A Steam Review?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
If there weren't whiny gamers, there would be nothing for the goon to whine about

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Time to go back to Helldivers 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hd1 still rocks but the low population can be felt pretty hard during specific times. I was doing both for a bit when hd2 came out and hd1 got a bump in popularity