Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

At least on steam, honor mode is at 1.4% of all players completed so I am guessing Larian is happy with the range of difficulty options available. The sickos wanting something harder than solo HM are the 0.001% (and I love you). Also lmao Busker is only slightly better at 1.8%. Ain't nobody got time for that.

https://steamcommunity.com/stats/1086940/achievements

There are already all sorts of mods available to make the game harder. Whenever we get official tools I'm sure that will become even more diverse, enforcing any kind of house rule like no strength elixirs that you could want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I got the busker achievement solely because I was eating dinner and didn’t want to turn off the game for twenty minutes

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Tried the fight with Grym again, but this time I brought Karlach equipped with a big maul and an elixir of hill Giant strenght. And holy poo poo, she absolutely clowned on the guardian, I annihilated him in three rounds with her doing about 90% of the damage. Three hits per round, about 30 damage per hit, not a single miss thanks to Faery Fire and reckless attack. A grand total of 13 hit points lost on my side.

Karlach is incredible is my point

E: also elected to go for the shield, for Shadowheart, thanks for the advice.

Martian fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 3, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Easy way to beat Grym on any difficulty:

1. Leave three party members on the stairway above the arena.
2. Send one party member to load ore/mould, and activate the hammer button to lower the arena.
3. Fast travel to the Ancient Forge waypoint to get back above the arena.
4. Use a bow to activate the lava wheel.
5. Use Minor Illusion to lure Grym to the hammer platform.
6. Use bow to activate the hammer.
7. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Using this strategy the only thing you need to worry about are the mephitis, and sometimes they'll attack Grym instead of your party. Like everything else in this game, Grym just can't resist seeing the kitty (and trying to turn it in to mush).

Alternatively you can use the Returning Pike instead of the hammer, but you'll still have to kite Grym around or it'll hide underneath the stairway where it can't be targeted.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Bulette. Sounds dainty. Surely not something I should worry about down here in the huge mysterious cavern.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The Bonecloak stuff is part of the game that particularly sticks in my mind cos the basic premise - abusive man falls to dementia and is in turn abused by his wife - does happen IRL, but unlike in real life she has easy access to a cure and won't give it to him. And unlike most of the decisions offered in this game none of the possible outcomes for them are actually good. So the whole thing is lowkey pretty hosed up

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I have a dummy question about ritual spells. If I learn a ritual spell, without taking the ritual caster feat, will it still function as a ritual spell?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

That bulette fight was nasty and required many reloads, but that was nothing compared to fighting that fuckin beholder. Goddamn I hate that thing.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The Bonecloak stuff is part of the game that particularly sticks in my mind cos the basic premise - abusive man falls to dementia and is in turn abused by his wife - does happen IRL, but unlike in real life she has easy access to a cure and won't give it to him. And unlike most of the decisions offered in this game none of the possible outcomes for them are actually good. So the whole thing is lowkey pretty hosed up

"Abusive husband dies and the widow gets a cat" seems pretty decent to me tbh.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I have a dummy question about ritual spells. If I learn a ritual spell, without taking the ritual caster feat, will it still function as a ritual spell?

Yes

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I know some people hate on act 3 but man is it a breath of fresh air coming out of the doom and gloom of 2. They’re going for a vibe, and it very much works. I do enjoy it but I can’t deny that the whole shadow lands segment stresses me the hell out.

For now I’m just biding my time, running around picking off all the easy quests til I hit level 12 and make a run for the honor mode endgame. Biggest fear at this point is definitely Orin. That and dying to something incredibly embarrassing and avoidable.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

wizard2 posted:

it's absolutely wild how Baldur's Gate 3 pits "well acted character development, +Approval" vs. "Permanent +2 Strength Buff i.e. one of the Holy Grails of Dungeons & Dragons, --Approval" and they are both valid depending on your particular goal that run.

also Im almost done with my third playthrough, why tf does this game have runs?? it's ridiculously long and complex AND replayable. Kind of blasts the concept of lovely NG+ and Metaprogression implementation as a mandatory foundation for a game's replayability.

I mean, you might as well role play in a role playing game, right? Besides the Blood Lady thing, I've just had Astarion (and maybe Minthara now) using brain worms, simply because I don't like the idea of my character using them, let alone pressuring other people to use them. It's maybe not something you could get away with on Honor or whatever, but I'm playing on normal loser mode so no worries :toot:

Zodium posted:

the best couple is bex and danis though.

Okay, they were very close runners-up because seeing them reunite was adorable, plus Bex gives you cookies. They're all good though.

SHARRAN GAUNTLET ZONE ACT 1

at this point, I think I know more about Ketheric's backstory than I do about my actual, irl husband.

Speaking of role-playing, do you ever just not like someone? because that's how I felt talking to Balthazar.
That and I saw his room full of mutilated pixies and tortured true souls and he's a necromancer and just gently caress him in general.
Thanks to the power of pre-positioning and setting the troll on fire (plus a lucky saving throw), he melted without much real trouble.

nice ambush Yurgir, too bad I've played my Uno reverse card (and have a few scrolls of cloudkill).
also wait, Speak to Dead actually worked on Yurgir's bed of corpses??? what the gently caress that's not gonna give me nightmares

the intrusive thoughts won again, this time with licking the rotting fuckspider. twice. while your new boyfriend stands there and wonders what on earth he's gotten himself into.
10/10 voice acting work on STOPLICKINGTHEDAMNTHING by the way

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
drat gales gone full on lemmy after a few days of speed there

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I did break into Ketheric, Balthazar, and Isobel's rooms, if that''s what you mean. Or is there another one I missed out on? I went around that upper balcony with the Winged Horrors and got the secret chest on the other side but didn't see a room (besides the blocked door).

Yeah I meant Ketheric’s room and his very good dog who smells Scratch on you if you offer him your ball and says that there is a very happy dog in your life.

And also all of the letters in that bedroom are very useful

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

nice ambush Yurgir, too bad I've played my Uno reverse card (and have a few scrolls of cloudkill).
also wait, Speak to Dead actually worked on Yurgir's bed of corpses??? what the gently caress that's not gonna give me nightmares

I think it’s kind of interesting the way Yurgir is set up because the game spends a fair bit of time reinforcing the idea that if you spot someone ambushing the correct play is to get the drop on them instead by attacking first. But in Yurgir’s case, following through on the lesson the game teaches ensures you don’t speak to him and find out what his whole deal was.

My first time through the game I never really felt like I understood what was going on in the Gauntlet. Why is there a devil hiding down here? Why was the gauntlet ruined? Why are there all these weirdo rats about? Grasping that wasn’t strictly necessary, but it did leave the gauntlet feeling, I dunno, kind of unmoored from a sense of time and place in the world.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I mean, you might as well role play in a role playing game, right? Besides the Blood Lady thing, I've just had Astarion (and maybe Minthara now) using brain worms, simply because I don't like the idea of my character using them, let alone pressuring other people to use them. It's maybe not something you could get away with on Honor or whatever, but I'm playing on normal loser mode so no worries :toot:

Okay, they were very close runners-up because seeing them reunite was adorable, plus Bex gives you cookies. They're all good though.

the bex and danis reunion scene, and a scene i won’t spoil for you, is so good and basically all that gets me through an otherwise dreary act 2, and why I will never be able to complete a truly evil run.

fwiw you can easily get away with not using worms on hm. I didn’t use them on my non solo party run and I wouldn’t say they were essential to the solo run. screw em.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I talked to Withers as Jaheira to change her class and he dumped on her for not having a lover. Tugging my collar IRL.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Reveilled posted:

I think it’s kind of interesting the way Yurgir is set up because the game spends a fair bit of time reinforcing the idea that if you spot someone ambushing the correct play is to get the drop on them instead by attacking first. But in Yurgir’s case, following through on the lesson the game teaches ensures you don’t speak to him and find out what his whole deal was.

My first time through the game I never really felt like I understood what was going on in the Gauntlet. Why is there a devil hiding down here? Why was the gauntlet ruined? Why are there all these weirdo rats about? Grasping that wasn’t strictly necessary, but it did leave the gauntlet feeling, I dunno, kind of unmoored from a sense of time and place in the world.

This is what happened to me on my current run. Glad to know there's more to it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It just occurred to me just earlier today that, despite seeing the initial "companion scares it away" scene with the Owlbear Cub... I never got the second scene. I'm all the way in Act 3 now and am just realizing I never got owlbaby in this run :(

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

also wait, Speak to Dead actually worked on Yurgir's bed of corpses??? what the gently caress that's not gonna give me nightmares[/sub]

Someone posted that the devs refer to that scene as Speak To Bed which I hope is true because it's amazing

unattended spaghetti posted:

This is what happened to me on my current run. Glad to know there's more to it.

Same I proudly ambushed him on my first run. Reading spoilers later was like WTF that dude actually has a ton of dialogue and content??? All tangential to the main plot and totally optional but it's some juicy stuff. If you're a bard you can talk him into killing all of his companions, his pet displacer beast, and then himself to get out of his pact :stare: Which works out nicely because he has a sick +2 hand crossbow perfect for an archery bard. But is also pretty hosed up

That's the tradeoff with always going for surprise rounds. Without meta knowledge you never know if attacking that random extremely dangerous looking mob will skip a bunch of cool scenes. Sure makes fights easy though.

Zodium posted:

fwiw you can easily get away with not using worms on hm. I didn’t use them on my non solo party run and I wouldn’t say they were essential to the solo run. screw em.

Being able to fly is so fun and so OP I don't know that I could forego it. Not that I couldn't beat the game without it, but I wouldn't want to! Astarion coming in doing his best Batman cosplay to gently caress up the bad guys is so good

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Docjowles posted:

Same I proudly ambushed him on my first run. Reading spoilers later was like WTF that dude actually has a ton of dialogue and content??? All tangential to the main plot and totally optional but it's some juicy stuff. If you're a bard you can talk him into killing all of his companions, his pet displacer beast, and then himself to get out of his pact :stare: Which works out nicely because he has a sick +2 hand crossbow perfect for an archery bard. But is also pretty hosed up

You don't actually need to be a Bard for this. I think it may require a hidden insight check to recognize the opportunity though?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

After that awful beholder fight I've wandered the cavern a while and found a creepy tower. There are magic turrets that are tough as hell and blast the crap out of everyone but they're vulnerable to lightning, so poor Gale is having to play Pop Goes the Weasel with these things, popping out to throw some lightning at it, missing, popping back into cover, over and over until he kills it or dies. Took a while to deal with them, and then I took what might have been an ill-advised feather fall down the side of the tower because I didn't realize that there was another way. My PC turned on a generator which was also probably a bad idea because during the cinematic I saw armored or robotic enemies in the higher levels of the tower who were probably dormant up until that point.

I picked up a magic-suppressing item so I sent it back to camp because it's hard to tell which oddball things I pick up might be valuable.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dick Trauma posted:

After that awful beholder fight I've wandered the cavern a while and found a creepy tower. There are magic turrets that are tough as hell and blast the crap out of everyone but they're vulnerable to lightning, so poor Gale is having to play Pop Goes the Weasel with these things, popping out to throw some lightning at it, missing, popping back into cover, over and over until he kills it or dies. Took a while to deal with them, and then I took what might have been an ill-advised feather fall down the side of the tower because I didn't realize that there was another way. My PC turned on a generator which was also probably a bad idea because during the cinematic I saw armored or robotic enemies in the higher levels of the tower who were probably dormant up until that point.

I picked up a magic-suppressing item so I sent it back to camp because it's hard to tell which oddball things I pick up might be valuable.

Be aware, that those Sussur Flowers are only good so long as you keep them in the Underdark.

Fun trick: The Sussur Flower anti-magic field will shut down the magic turrets and make them completely dormant!

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
The fun part is that I didn't even have to savescum to get the jump on Yurgir and his crew; I just had Astarion jump up onto the little beam-girder-thingy right away because it looked like you might be able to, and Suddenly A Dozen Demons/Devils/Fiends/whatever setting up their own ambush. Given the piles of dead bodies and the bed made of corpses :stonk: (and the +2 hand crossbow) I'm not going to feel too bad about ganking him.

also, i see where this is going and NO BAD ASTARION NO APOTHEOSIS ON MY WATCH I'VE PLAYED TOO MANY JRPGS

A brief glance at the wiki, and I do like that there's a reason you're given the option to mess with the rotting spider. Which I didn't have because I jumped Yurgir and his displacer beast and buddies so no, Tav is just walking up and licking the rotting gently caress spider (twice) for no real reason. That, plus the Mystery Flesh Hole I found a couple days ago, makes her seem just a bit like she's not 100% there (or at least incapable of ignoring intrusive thoughts)...but it's also very funny STOPLICKINGTHEDAMNTHING.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

also, i see where this is going and NO BAD ASTARION NO APOTHEOSIS ON MY WATCH I'VE PLAYED TOO MANY JRPGS

lol

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

You don't actually need to be a Bard for this. I think it may require a hidden insight check to recognize the opportunity though?

Hmm I think if you talk to Raphael before and then ask Yurgir about the contract you get the options to try to convince him.

I missed this on my last run because the displacer beast got mad at me for stealing from a chest up top so I never got to talk to him.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I typically don't encounter the Githyanki ambush on the far western end of the Shadowlands until after I defeat Ketheric at the end of Act 2. I just came across them now, and was shocked to see all of Ketheric's army camped just beyond there. Going to see if I can fight any of them.

Edit: Astarion tried to warn me that it would be stupid. I pressed on, and we were automatically played in the Moonrise Towers dungeon.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I like how, in a game that otherwise doesn't have a lot of noob traps, you can just casually eat the ascended tadpole and deny all your companions the chance to look like poo poo (and get sick powers).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In the mystic tower I pressed a button without knowing what it does because it seemed to be in a benign location, on a window sill a few stories up. I found a web covered lever and I pulled it without knowing what it does because I figured that if it was important it would be better taken care of.

These are the things I tell myself to avoid recognizing the fact that pressing buttons and pulling levers is a good way to get your whole party killed.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Janissary Hop posted:

I like how, in a game that otherwise doesn't have a lot of noob traps, you can just casually eat the ascended tadpole and deny all your companions the chance to look like poo poo (and get sick powers).

I will say, if you're actively planning to not use it on everyone, it can be funny to have whoever uses it last just eat it, and there's your in-character excuse for the rest not using it. Either a deranged player character... or Karlach. I can see her doing it.

Dick Trauma posted:

In the mystic tower I pressed a button without knowing what it does because it seemed to be in a benign location, on a window sill a few stories up. I found a web covered lever and I pulled it without knowing what it does because I figured that if it was important it would be better taken care of.

These are the things I tell myself to avoid recognizing the fact that pressing buttons and pulling levers is a good way to get your whole party killed.

That button becomes really funny when you know what it does, and what you need to make it work.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

I will say, if you're actively planning to not use it on everyone, it can be funny to have whoever uses it last just eat it. Either a deranged player character... or Karlach. I can see her doing it.

Yeah I just did it on my bard to piss off the emperor.

Speaking of my bard, I've never done the acuity helmet + mystic scoundrel ring combo before and holy poo poo, this is nuts. Arrow of many targets -> a hypnotic pattern that none of these could physically resist:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, I can't quite decide whether the husband eating it or the husband dying is the best outcome for her. If Baelen eats it, he becomes a terror again and she ends up working up the courage to leave him for good; she doesn't have much to her name, but she's free from him and has peace of mind; you can find her at the Elfsong Tavern. If he dies, she's obviously sad about it, lamenting that they both deserved better, but she runs the shop, and you can send a cat to her to help keep her company. She'll move on in time, and honestly... as stated, he's always been horribly abusive to him, and a peek at her journal if he's alive and un-healed reveals that even addled, he's still unbearable at times, because he needs her help for certain things and he hates it and gets moody and cranky about it.

EDIT: It's kind of a shame that there's only one that actually works for story purposes. It would be nice to be able to either give one to one of the Bonecloaks, AND be able to restore that part of Shadowheart's memory (and hell, maybe one for the Dark Urge, too)

I gave it to Shadowheart last time. No regrets at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Giving the noblestalk to Derryth nets the best result both for her and for the party, although there are a lot of narrative reasons why you'd want to let Shadowheart or Durge have it.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

All three can have it with a little fuckery.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
between Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 and Baldur's Gate 3, 2023 was the best year in recorded history for Thrown Weapons Builds

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Finished Honour Mode and got my golden dice, zero chomped tadpoles :toot:

I think Wyll's bugs at the end of his companion quest continued into the ending, I got a scene with Karlach and Wyll doing stuff together and there were these big pauses which I think Wyll was supposed to say stuff in but he just stood mute. Kind of a downer on an otherwise good ending.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

so i guessed they patched lorroakan a while back. i initially told him to go gently caress himself and when i came back he brought Large Friends and i was like hmm. so i reloaded a much earlier save, told him i like his hair and went back. previous versions he did not have Large Friends and you could also buy a scroll downstairs that could hurt him real bad and now they don't have it. so it took me two entire days to kill him but i did it!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Reveilled posted:

Finished Honour Mode and got my golden dice, zero chomped tadpoles :toot:

I think Wyll's bugs at the end of his companion quest continued into the ending, I got a scene with Karlach and Wyll doing stuff together and there were these big pauses which I think Wyll was supposed to say stuff in but he just stood mute. Kind of a downer on an otherwise good ending.

Hell yeah golden dice :buddy:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The biggest stress for me in HM is experience. I never paid much attention in the default difficulty, but I'm in act 2 and I'm trying to be one level higher than most fights, as people recommend, and feel like I'm wasting a lot of time trying to scrounge up XP. I was under 150 short of level 8 and finally thought of going back to the act 1 swamp cabin and killing those Redcaps. Now I feel more confident to handle the Shar dungeon and the act 2 boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

With the way XP scaling works in this game either you'll do absolutely everything there is to do and hit Level 10 at the very end of Act 2, or miss a lot and hit Level 10 within the first 30 minutes of Act 3.