Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I don’t really care about drake or Kendrick or Fortnite but I really appreciate that this is a person that exists

I would like to see an example of his normal tweet and an example of his weird conflicted tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
drake is not in fortnite yet (as far as i can recall), but kendrick lamar has a song in fortnite. so fortnite is more pro-Kendrick than Drake

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Drake is such a loving creep and I hope it doesn't take as long for him to get unpersoned than it did for R Kelly

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

kinda meh in terms of bars and the beat is aiight but this was clearly written for an audience of one (1) which is what makes a truly great diss track

but the reality is that this is coming way too late in either of their careers to really impact either of them in any way except on a personal level. like I'm sure Drake is genuinely sad that nobody likes him and everyone's calling him white. but honestly they're both too old for this poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
also imo this is still the best Kendrick ever rapped ever on ever anything all

https://youtu.be/B5eT6TaEtPI?si=6buase_s7fxiHkdZ

e: lol these lines are relevant

quote:

I'm so appalled
I’m the prototype with a godly protocol
You an amateur, they want a pro to call
I damage ya on camera, in Compton, in Canada
I don't care where ya are
Just blink twice and I'm there where you are
Like a shadow in the dark, you a paddle in the boat
In an ocean full of sharks bout to come up short

indigi has issued a correction as of 19:34 on May 3, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

indigi posted:

kinda meh in terms of bars and the beat is aiight but this was clearly written for an audience of one (1) which is what makes a truly great diss track

but the reality is that this is coming way too late in either of their careers to really impact either of them in any way except on a personal level. like I'm sure Drake is genuinely sad that nobody likes him and everyone's calling him white. but honestly they're both too old for this poo poo

I am absolutely not too old for this poo poo and therefore neither are they

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I said beefs weren't a thing anymore right before this kicked off AFAICT, clearly they're both just doing it to make me look dumb

I legit did not know that Kendrick Lamar was 5'5"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

I said beefs weren't a thing anymore right before this kicked off AFAICT

what do you mean? duppy freestyle/story of adidon weren't that long ago

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That was six years ago which I guess isn't THAT long but long enough to me to forget about it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
are LL Cool J and Canibus still beefing?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lmao I did not realize the beef between Canibus and LL was this lame:

wiki posted:

Canibus had a feud with LL Cool J over a verse that Canibus gave on LL's track "4,3,2,1" from his album Phenomenon. The track featured Canibus, Method Man, Redman, and DMX. Canibus's verse began with the line "Yo LL, is that a mic on your arm? Let me borrow that," referring to the microphone tattoo on LL Cool J's arm which LL Cool J interpreted as Canibus insulting him. When the final cut of the song came out it featured LL Cool J's verse after Canibus's, mocking an unspecified person believed to be Canibus.

he's dissing you on your own track, dude.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I recently finished the 5 book space opera series "Exordium" and that had a couple really good spaceship battles all in the name of stopping a comically evil planet of super torturers from seizing power :hai:

I've been looking for a solid space opera series, would you recommend it

Professor Beetus posted:

Drake is such a loving creep and I hope it doesn't take as long for him to get unpersoned than it did for R Kelly

Drake growing up on a TV set makes me wonder if he got Dan Schneiderd at some point or at least saw enough of the behavior to keep perpetrating it

MLKQUOTEMACHINE has issued a correction as of 20:55 on May 3, 2024

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

are LL Cool J and Canibus still beefing?

Canibus is a close family friend of mine (he bought me an n64 and Goldeneye when I was a kid). The beef was over quickly but his career never really recovered. I think he continued to make some great stuff though up until the 2010s. He is neuro-atypical and unfortunately started his career in an era where people weren't really aware or ready for that.

I recently watched a pretty solid "eviction-thriller" called "Pacific Heights", which has Mathew Modine and Melanie Giffith as yuppie landlords that have to deal with a squatting tenant played by Michael Keaton. The landlords are the main characters but they still give them plenty of (very funny) moments where they are scummy. If you like Hitchcock or 90's thrillers with improbable plots I recommend it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

I've been looking for a solid space opera series, would you recommend it

Sure, it was decent to good overall imo. opens off kinda Game of Thronesy with the brutality, moves on to more space opera stuff with dashes of court intrigue. it maybe drags a bit near the end but whatever

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

loquacius posted:

Yeah there's only one explicit Zionist in the text and it's Yenta. Tevye is just Jewish Hank Hill

lmao

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/PeoplesWorld/status/1786257553741193551

why is Peoples World doing pop culture prestige TV reviews

Welcome to the Wasteland as presented in Amazon Prime’s excellent new post-apocalyptic, anti-corporate, live-streaming television series. The great nuclear cataclysm of 2077 has rendered the Earth’s surface broken and desolate, albeit quite colorful. It has all the charm of an explosion at a Goodwill thrift store. The landscape is littered with antique furniture, pieces of machinery, dilapidated buildings and yesterday’s junk. It’s a world peopled by dangerous, vicious wandering gangs preying on whatever unfortunate humans have survived.

Below the surface lie a series of secure vaults housing the organized, uniformed other inhabitants committed to preserving the preexisting ideals and culture. Someday, if they are ever able to conquer the gangs and reclaim the Wasteland, they will reinstall it.

Vault 32 member Lucy McClean appears a fine example of this hope. She is to be married to a randomly selected member of neighboring vault 33. Her widowed father, the venerated Overseer of their vault, enthusiastically supports Lucy in this endeavor. Her curious younger brother, not so much.

Fallout is the story of what happens when Lucy is thrust out into the Wasteland to search for her scattered family to rebuild her dream and this attempt at regeneration goes horribly wrong.

It’s also the story of Maximus (Aaron Moten) and Cooper Howard (Walton Goggins). Maximus, a random scorched earth inhabitant, is a squire in the Brotherhood of Steel gang which terrorizes the Wasteland. He unites with Lucy to try to assist her family restoration. Cooper Howard was a well known actor who survived over two hundred years as a ghoul roaming the Wasteland in search of revenge against those who wronged him.

Sci-fi is a genre not usually graced with great performances. But Purnell, Moten and especially Goggins go a long way toward persuading us that the audaciously bleak landscape of 2296 is still populated by characters we can identify with. Fallout does well in mining Goggins’s comic chops, as well as his broad dramatic range which hasn’t been adequately tested since his great work in Justified. The principals are robustly supported by a veteran cast including Kyle MacLachlan, Moises Arias, Leslie Uggams, Michael Emerson, Michael Rapaport, Xelia Mendes-Jones, and even Erik Estrada.

But what distinguishes Fallout from most of the inert space debris cluttering the sci-fi universe is its unflinching look at what brought about the end of the world as we now know it. The show’s creators Graham Wagner and Geneva Robertson-Dworet base their work on the Bethesda Softworks popular eponymously named game. The popularity of the series has already assured at least a second season.

Unlike other disaster-based games that have fallen by the wayside, this show makes real the pernicious threat of late capitalism. Relatable characters are stuck in an all too familiar context of the bad choices of their economic and political circumstances. Will Lucy and Maximus be able to create a humane environment in what’s left of the Wasteland? Will Cooper Howard’s past life hold the key to understanding and surmounting the manmade self-destructive death spiral? Or are we condemned inevitably to this “fallout” from the world we have created?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/BidensWins/status/1786465021452517621

im irrationally angry that they somehow didnt properly set this up as a may the fourth joke

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

im irrationally angry that they somehow didnt properly set this up as a may the fourth joker laugh

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

dang it mark why you so hard to love

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

has anyone read dark matter by blake crouch trying to decide whether the apple plus tv version is going to be worth checking out plz rate it on a spectrum of tencent three body problem to netflix three body problem in terms of science to sexiness ratio

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

These diss tracks all seem rather childish!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

im irrationally angry that they somehow didnt properly set this up as a may the fourth joke

Forceful indeed

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
when do we get a music video with lena dunham rapping about dark brandon

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
emma watson beat boxes for lin manuel miranda's rap about why moving weed to schedule iii is "lit as poo poo, get over it, it's legit"

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Mr Hootington posted:

There is a fortnite leaker whose favorite rapper is drake and his 2nd is Kendrick and in-between fortnite leaks all he talks about is how much he loves both of them

Let's just say the last week has had some odd tweets from him.

lol

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

has anyone read dark matter by blake crouch trying to decide whether the apple plus tv version is going to be worth checking out plz rate it on a spectrum of tencent three body problem to netflix three body problem in terms of science to sexiness ratio

my bookclub and I hated it. the writing was drivel and all of the mysteries were obvious. there is exactly one interesting concept they manage to create from a bog-standard multiverse journey. everything else has been done better by others

maybe it'll be a better TV show

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Buck Wildman posted:

dang it mark why you so hard to love

He's an actor, they're basically musicians who can talk (if someone else writes the words out for them)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DarkLich posted:

my bookclub and I hated it. the writing was drivel and all of the mysteries were obvious. there is exactly one interesting concept they manage to create from a bog-standard multiverse journey. everything else has been done better by others

wait there are book clubs where youre allowed to hate the books you read

where might i find this book club

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Some Guy TT posted:

This can be any book club if you're assertive enough

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the milk machine posted:

when do we get a music video with lena dunham rapping about dark brandon

closest you're gonna get https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGmXGkIr7w0

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

are book clubs usually just agreement sessions? mine have been either office or friend groups and people seem comfortable saying they didn't like something

mine is IRL pals (they are out of frame agreeing with my opinions), but the somethingawful com book barn seemed pretty healthy last I checked

anyway, recently finished and loved Children of Time. they shouldve adapted that before Dark Matter

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

speaking as someone who works at a public library, that's most book clubs

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I liked Dark Matter OK, it was written at an eighth-grade reading level, more than Lonesome Pines, which was written for sixth-graders. Totally fine light reading mass market sci-fi. Don’t remember a damned thing about it other than liking some Chicago locations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

alphabetically, this is remarkably close, in terms of letters

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DarkLich posted:

are book clubs usually just agreement sessions? mine have been either office or friend groups and people seem comfortable saying they didn't like something

mine is IRL pals (they are out of frame agreeing with my opinions), but the somethingawful com book barn seemed pretty healthy last I checked

maybe just to me but tbf i havent exactly tried very many of them

bear in mind im the kind of crank who makes absurd criticisms like how the sympathizer insidiously uses its smug unreliable narrator to bolster an extremely white supremacist view of indochina that doesnt feel white supremacist because the text spends so much time making fun of white people so im a little nervous joining a club of people who are unlikely to take that perspective

i went to one once where we read black sun and i couldnt help but feel like kind of a prick for even doing something so minor as mansplaining to a woman that the current best research suggests that quetzalcoatl represents the abstract aztec idea of reincarnation as applied to historical perspective and not like literally a dude who everybody assumed was jesus because he was white

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Have you considered not being a crank?

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Some Guy TT posted:

ooh I finally get to bitch about this book! its got some cool scenes and ideas but so frustrating. the main character is supposed to be a genius, but you'll find yourself realizing things waaaay ahead of him. the writing is best described as "author who thinks he's writing really good suspense but isn't." the intro scene is so cliché I thought it was going to lead to a big subversion but nope it's just that stupid-"ahh, my wife, who's older than when we met but is still sexy as hell, is cooking a tasty dinner. let's flirt a little before talking to my kid, who's both creative and smart. and what's that I hear? that's right, classic jazz...on vinyl obviously. ahh life is good."

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Have you considered not being a crank?

id rather die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Whoolighams posted:

ooh I finally get to bitch about this book! its got some cool scenes and ideas but so frustrating. the main character is supposed to be a genius, but you'll find yourself realizing things waaaay ahead of him. the writing is best described as "author who thinks he's writing really good suspense but isn't." the intro scene is so cliché I thought it was going to lead to a big subversion but nope it's just that stupid-"ahh, my wife, who's older than when we met but is still sexy as hell, is cooking a tasty dinner. let's flirt a little before talking to my kid, who's both creative and smart. and what's that I hear? that's right, classic jazz...on vinyl obviously. ahh life is good."

im probably the only person who thinks this but i really liked the scenes in tencent three body problem where the main scientist guy is just at home with his wife and kid its basically the opposite of this shes a smart professional too but like a doctor nothing relevant to his physics stuff but theyve got a good vibe just chilling with each other the daughters relevant to the extent that shes a normal kid whos curious about stuff none of its anything special it just grounds his character really well as not being so obsessed with advanced physics that he could plausibly kill himself over it and also his being able to balance his professional nerd interests with a relatively minimal social lifestyle