Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

megane posted:

Did they mention what triggers that progress bar in the first place? Is it just being an unrecognized major power?

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

Sorry, my post might have been badly formulated. But my issue is that it‘s always hard to judge if it‘s worth switching to a better PM that requires more input goods.
I assume it‘s all balanced so there‘s no trap PMs that end up requiring more input goods than they produce additional output (across the entire chain, say tools -> steel -> coal/iron).

Say you upgrade PM and now your coal mine requires extra tools but generates extra coal. I work under the assumption that the total input goods used for those tools are less than the additional coal output.
I am aware some PMs just use different amounts/types of labour (simple workers vs engineers), so this is mostly about the base PMs that typically offer higher output for higher input.

My aim in my games has always been to try and be self sufficient for coal/iron/steel, because those are super unstable and a bad war dec can ruin your entire economy. Due to bad AI and possible simple lack of available rss nodes the demand for coal/iron/steel on the global market is always so high that even with export tariffs (which rock income wise) I end up trading more of it away than my own economy can handle unless I go complete isolationist.

When I asked about the option to ban export for a single good earlier in this thread, it was exactly because of that. It‘s nice that people want to buy my coal/iron but it ruins my own economy.

Tl;dr my economy always crashes because of coal/iron demand and I can‘t figure out how to fix this.

Pretty much all of the production-boosting PMs are worth upgrading into, but don't switch into them if doing so will completely wreck your economy. Sometimes you have to roll out the upgrades gradually as you improve your coal and iron production. Some of them use rare goods to boost production that you might not have, like elastics. They're still worth using when you can, but make sure you actually secure their input goods first.

One of your highest research priorities should be the iron and coal mine upgrades. The atmospheric engine and condensing engine techs are massively important and should be beelined very early (maybe not as your #1 priority but close to it). The nitroglycerin and dynamite techs are helpful but less important to beeline. You will need to upgrade your mines and other industry in stages instead of all at once. Go back and forth between building/upgrading tool factories and your mines. Also note that no PM changes are permanent. You can very easily revert any changes you made if you accidentally made the wrong PM changes or went too fast.

And if you've already exploited all of your local coal and iron, it's time to get some more elsewhere.

edit: it should also be said that not all automation PMs are worth using for all countries. Automation frequently fails to improve overall profitability, but it allows you to stretch a limited workforce further, and it should improve the average wages for your workers. But if you have large unemployed populations or an inexhaustible peasant population, it is better for your national standard of living to employ 5000 workers at average wages than, say, 2500 workers at high wages.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 2, 2024

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

How bad is it to skip the "Nitroglycerin" PM? I usually don't go for it because it has such a big mortality rate and I just feel bad sending all my miners off to die like that :shobon:

I also read some reddit post ages ago saying nitro was a trap of a PM, maybe because of the mortality rate balancing out any productivity? I can't really remember.

So is it so bad to skip nitro and rush to dynamite instead?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

piratepilates posted:

How bad is it to skip the "Nitroglycerin" PM? I usually don't go for it because it has such a big mortality rate and I just feel bad sending all my miners off to die like that :shobon:

I also read some reddit post ages ago saying nitro was a trap of a PM, maybe because of the mortality rate balancing out any productivity? I can't really remember.

Honestly, I don't know what the math on nitroglycerin is. That may be one of the few trap PMs, though it probably depends on how much population you have. For a country like China that has an infinite workforce, well...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I would definietly get Nitro if you have gold mines as the direct minting is too good to get rid of.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Tahirovic posted:

Sorry, my post might have been badly formulated. But my issue is that it‘s always hard to judge if it‘s worth switching to a better PM that requires more input goods.
I assume it‘s all balanced so there‘s no trap PMs that end up requiring more input goods than they produce additional output (across the entire chain, say tools -> steel -> coal/iron).

Say you upgrade PM and now your coal mine requires extra tools but generates extra coal. I work under the assumption that the total input goods used for those tools are less than the additional coal output.
I am aware some PMs just use different amounts/types of labour (simple workers vs engineers), so this is mostly about the base PMs that typically offer higher output for higher input.

My aim in my games has always been to try and be self sufficient for coal/iron/steel, because those are super unstable and a bad war dec can ruin your entire economy. Due to bad AI and possible simple lack of available rss nodes the demand for coal/iron/steel on the global market is always so high that even with export tariffs (which rock income wise) I end up trading more of it away than my own economy can handle unless I go complete isolationist.

When I asked about the option to ban export for a single good earlier in this thread, it was exactly because of that. It‘s nice that people want to buy my coal/iron but it ruins my own economy.

Tl;dr my economy always crashes because of coal/iron demand and I can‘t figure out how to fix this.

Have you built every single coal/iron mine you're capable of building in your territory? Have your coal/iron mines literally run out of workers to employ?

If you didn't answer "yes" to either of those questions, then you should probably think twice about upgrading your mining PMs.

PMs are all about tradeoffs. They're not a straight upgrade path where the new PM will always be better than the old. The way the game flow tends to go, most of the tradeoffs will usually work out positively by the end of the game...but that doesn't mean they'll be good tradeoffs when you first unlock them. It's important to look at what the tradeoffs actually are, and consider how they'll fit into your situation.

Half of the mining PMs significantly increase the mine's input goods requirements and wages in exchange for producing more output goods. But you can also produce more output goods just by building more mines, and the only ongoing cost to that is having to pay more workers. Usually when you first unlock these PMs, you've got tons of surplus labor, so wages are low. When you've still got a ton of peasants around, just shoving more unskilled laborers into the mines is a way cheaper and more profitable method of increasing your output than sending in a bunch of highly-paid engineers to go spend a bunch of tools. So upgrading the PMs right away will badly cut into profits.

The other two mining PMs add more input goods requirements in exchange for reducing the number of laborers. But this runs into the same problem as above: early on, unskilled laborers are cheaper than the input goods would be, so spending more goods to employ fewer laborers tends to reduce profits. Not only that, but early on when you first unlock that stuff, you usually want to employ more workers, not fewer workers, because at that stage of the game you'll have plenty of unemployed workers hunting for jobs, and tons of peasants that you'll want to lure off their subsistence farms and into the industrial workforce.

So why do these PMs even exist, then? Well, let's hop forward a decade or two. As you build more and more buildings, your mines will become more profitable as demand for their industrial output goods rises. At the same time, all those new buildings will employ more and more workers until you're pretty much out of peasants and unemployed people, and wages will rise significantly as your buildings compete for workers. At the same time, you won't be able to grow your industry any further, because even if you build more stuff, there's no one to work at those buildings. At this point, workers become a very precious resource, and setting a building to use more goods and fewer workers can become a big boon not only to that specific building but to your economy as a whole, freeing up tens of thousands of workers to go fill up another few levels of some other building. When your economy becomes worker-constrained, that is when those mining PMs become a massive advantage.

Aside from that, there are other side benefits to these PMs that, depending on the specifics of your economical and social situation, can be worth adopting even when they're not profitable. First of all, replacing low-pay laborers with medium-pay machinists and highly-paid engineers is expensive, but it does bring other benefits to your overall economic and political situation. Second, those extra input goods needed for better PMs can stimulate demand for the buildings that produce those goods. So by sacrificing some of the profits from highly successful mines, you can prop up other industries or put a bit more wealth back into your workforce. These aren't things you can just do willy-nilly, though - you have to consider the economic and social situation of the building, the province, and your country as a whole.

If all of this is too complicated, hovering over a new PM in the PM selection menu will give you an estimate of the impact the PM change will have on the individual building's profitability, and these estimates are reasonably accurate as long as the building has a full workforce (the estimates get real wonky if the building's having trouble hiring). If the estimate says that upgrading the PM will make profitability go up, then upgrading won't hurt the building at all. If the estimate says that upgrading the PM will make profitability go down, you should think very carefully about whether you really have a compelling reason to upgrade despite that.

As for your iron/coal exports, turn them to your advantage. Put all that extra money into the military and go conquer yourself some more iron and coal. If the countries importing all your iron and coal oppose you, they'll be the ones getting their economy ruined by a bad wardec.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I tend to use Nitroglycerin because sulphur has very efficient PMs so adding a ton of sulphur demand to your market is really good, explosives drive sulphur demand both from raw sulphur and paper as inputs.

If you don't have a domestic sulphur industry then maybe skip it

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vizuyos posted:

Have you built every single coal/iron mine you're capable of building in your territory? Have your coal/iron mines literally run out of workers to employ?

If you didn't answer "yes" to either of those questions, then you should probably think twice about upgrading your mining PMs.

PMs are all about tradeoffs. They're not a straight upgrade path where the new PM will always be better than the old. The way the game flow tends to go, most of the tradeoffs will usually work out positively by the end of the game...but that doesn't mean they'll be good tradeoffs when you first unlock them. It's important to look at what the tradeoffs actually are, and consider how they'll fit into your situation.

Half of the mining PMs significantly increase the mine's input goods requirements and wages in exchange for producing more output goods. But you can also produce more output goods just by building more mines, and the only ongoing cost to that is having to pay more workers. Usually when you first unlock these PMs, you've got tons of surplus labor, so wages are low. When you've still got a ton of peasants around, just shoving more unskilled laborers into the mines is a way cheaper and more profitable method of increasing your output than sending in a bunch of highly-paid engineers to go spend a bunch of tools. So upgrading the PMs right away will badly cut into profits.

The other two mining PMs add more input goods requirements in exchange for reducing the number of laborers. But this runs into the same problem as above: early on, unskilled laborers are cheaper than the input goods would be, so spending more goods to employ fewer laborers tends to reduce profits. Not only that, but early on when you first unlock that stuff, you usually want to employ more workers, not fewer workers, because at that stage of the game you'll have plenty of unemployed workers hunting for jobs, and tons of peasants that you'll want to lure off their subsistence farms and into the industrial workforce.

So why do these PMs even exist, then? Well, let's hop forward a decade or two. As you build more and more buildings, your mines will become more profitable as demand for their industrial output goods rises. At the same time, all those new buildings will employ more and more workers until you're pretty much out of peasants and unemployed people, and wages will rise significantly as your buildings compete for workers. At the same time, you won't be able to grow your industry any further, because even if you build more stuff, there's no one to work at those buildings. At this point, workers become a very precious resource, and setting a building to use more goods and fewer workers can become a big boon not only to that specific building but to your economy as a whole, freeing up tens of thousands of workers to go fill up another few levels of some other building. When your economy becomes worker-constrained, that is when those mining PMs become a massive advantage.

Aside from that, there are other side benefits to these PMs that, depending on the specifics of your economical and social situation, can be worth adopting even when they're not profitable. First of all, replacing low-pay laborers with medium-pay machinists and highly-paid engineers is expensive, but it does bring other benefits to your overall economic and political situation. Second, those extra input goods needed for better PMs can stimulate demand for the buildings that produce those goods. So by sacrificing some of the profits from highly successful mines, you can prop up other industries or put a bit more wealth back into your workforce. These aren't things you can just do willy-nilly, though - you have to consider the economic and social situation of the building, the province, and your country as a whole.

If all of this is too complicated, hovering over a new PM in the PM selection menu will give you an estimate of the impact the PM change will have on the individual building's profitability, and these estimates are reasonably accurate as long as the building has a full workforce (the estimates get real wonky if the building's having trouble hiring). If the estimate says that upgrading the PM will make profitability go up, then upgrading won't hurt the building at all. If the estimate says that upgrading the PM will make profitability go down, you should think very carefully about whether you really have a compelling reason to upgrade despite that.

As for your iron/coal exports, turn them to your advantage. Put all that extra money into the military and go conquer yourself some more iron and coal. If the countries importing all your iron and coal oppose you, they'll be the ones getting their economy ruined by a bad wardec.

Heavily disagree with this advice. The mining engine pumps should be upgraded as soon as possible. It takes resources, time, and opportunity cost to build new mines, while the atmospheric and condensing engines offer immediate massive upgrades for a relatively minor increase to tool demand. But even that increase to tool demand is a good thing since you get to build and sell more tools, giving your economy a large jump start. The GDP growth from upgrading your mines early is huge.

edit: The tradeoffs you speak of aren't zero sum when it comes to the engine and explosives PMs. The tools require fewer raw resources to build than you get from the upgrades. Instead of holding off on upgrading those while building more mines, you will get more resources overall and have a stronger economy if you upgrade those PMs and use those construction resources to build more tool workshops.

edit 2: think of it this way. if you have no upgraded PMs, for each iron mine you build, you get 20 iron. if you have the atmospheric engine, every iron mine gives you 40 iron instead, and you get 60 per mine if you have the condensing engine. You have a limited number of parallel construction projects available. If you are using all available construction to build iron mines, you will meet whatever goal you have for iron production three times faster with the condensing engine compared to picks and shovels. this allows you to begin constructing tool workshops, steel mills, and (most importantly) more construction sooner, and your economy in general will grow markedly faster. You say upgrading the PMs right away badly cuts into profits, but I have never had this happen with mines unless I just did not have any coal at all and enabled a PM that requires it. In every other situation, even at the very beginning of the game, enabling atmospheric and condensing engines created a huge increase to both building profits and national GDP. And this goes for more than just mines. There are only a small handful of production-boosting PMs that actually reduce profits when you can meet their input goods demand, which includes the latter steel PMs. In all other cases, you pretty much always want to adopt production-boosting PMs as much as your market allows, the moment they become available. Also, it is okay for buildings to become temporarily unprofitable, just like it's okay for you to run a national deficit. You can build your way out of these holes, and it's often faster to do it this way than to very slowly and carefully adopt PMs only after you have a large surplus of input goods or whatever. And this game is all about compounding, exponentially accelerating growth. the faster you grow your economy now, the faster it will grow in the future.

edit 3: this is a very late edit, but this post was written from memory without having played the game in a while. now that i have played the first decade of a new campaign again, i can say even more emphatically than before that you should upgrade your production-boosting mine PMs as soon as humanly possible. The quoted post was very wrong about how badly the 500 engineers per building level eats into your profits. The doubling of your mine's output more than offsets that by a large degree. The tools cost is literally the same as building new buildings. coal is a bigger concern but, wait for it... you can upgrade your coal mines as well to offset that cost. all-in-all, upgrading your iron mines early allows you to build more iron-frame construction sectors early which allows you to build more buildings faster and grow your economy much, much faster.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 7, 2024

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

in particular it's usually a good idea to get the first level of mine upgrade (I think atmospheric engine?) on your iron mines before turning on iron construction

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

piratepilates posted:

Awful, the actual mortality (iirc) is a really small absolute modifier, so you're trading off a big jump in productivity and production of mine rgos for, like, an extra couple dozen dudes not dying.

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Awful, the actual mortality (iirc) is a really small absolute modifier, so you're trading off a big jump in productivity and production of mine rgos for, like, an extra couple dozen dudes not dying.

A lot of games are incredibly bad at telling you when a modifier to a percentage is multiplicative or additive, and V3 is really no exception.

I also usually don't use nitro, either because it's unprofitable for the mine, there's an engineer shortage, or I can employ more peasants by building two more mines instead of an explosives factory. Dynamite is either available or around the corner by the time I run out of peasants.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Thanks for those effort posts, I‘ll start a new game tonight to see if I can actually apply this without crashing my economy because I can‘t get more coal/iron anywhere.
Maybe try Japan, they should have more than enough resources.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Tahirovic posted:

Thanks for those effort posts, I‘ll start a new game tonight to see if I can actually apply this without crashing my economy because I can‘t get more coal/iron anywhere.
Maybe try Japan, they should have more than enough resources.

If you're doing experiments to learn you really aught to play either of the cheat countries, Britain or the USA. Impossible to lose in those and oceans of margins to try something different to recover from an experiment

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

If you're doing experiments to learn you really aught to play either of the cheat countries, Britain or the USA. Impossible to lose in those and oceans of margins to try something different to recover from an experiment

Contrarily, I'd suggest Persia since you start with almost nothing built but you have an embarassingly large amount of resources just waiting to be exploited, so you have to make the entire economy yourself which is great for getting to understand how everything links together. You also don't have to deal with isolationism and generally have an easier time modernising.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Does Persia have a good amount of capitalists etc? I just started a game as Mexico and in a number of provinces that have great resources I struggled to get mines/workshops/steel mills going at capacity simply because there was a shortage of aristocrats willing to work there, they rather sat in some plantation.

Is the solution to the above just education and general buildup of industry?

In one case I had a goldmine that couldn't employ any workers (sat at ~150) because it wasn't profitable - how does that even work? It eventually sorted itself out but I ran into a good amount of debt by then :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Perhaps confusingly, you don't want existing capitalists to work in your buildings, you want to convert other pops into capitalists. Which is done via providing education access and wealth. The main cause of "I can't employ anyone" is a general lack of population; you might have 100k peasants, but those peasants are mostly too poorly educated to get promoted to better jobs. If you instead have 1 million peasants in a single state, the small proportion of better educated / richer peasants will be able to move up to better jobs.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Heavily disagree with this advice. The mining engine pumps should be upgraded as soon as possible. It takes resources, time, and opportunity cost to build new mines, while the atmospheric and condensing engines offer immediate massive upgrades for a relatively minor increase to tool demand. But even that increase to tool demand is a good thing since you get to build and sell more tools, giving your economy a large jump start. The GDP growth from upgrading your mines early is huge.

Going to second this. Getting mine upgrades is an absolute must have tech early on unless you're doing military first stuff. Tooling workshops are also cash money and really good for getting an urbanized population and the right IGs into power so tool demand is actually kind of a good thing. Also, mine techs lead to railroads, the real essential technology.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

RabidWeasel posted:

Perhaps confusingly, you don't want existing capitalists to work in your buildings, you want to convert other pops into capitalists. Which is done via providing education access and wealth. The main cause of "I can't employ anyone" is a general lack of population; you might have 100k peasants, but those peasants are mostly too poorly educated to get promoted to better jobs. If you instead have 1 million peasants in a single state, the small proportion of better educated / richer peasants will be able to move up to better jobs.

So basically you're saying I should try and stuff everything I can into Mexico City until other provinces have become capable of supporting industry through growth and education?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

elbkaida posted:

So basically you're saying I should try and stuff everything I can into Mexico City until other provinces have become capable of supporting industry through growth and education?

I don't know the exact pop makeup of Mexico but that would probably work, yeah (as long as the state has access to coal and iron). The auto build queue is going to do its own thing anyway, so having most government construction in your highest population state is often a good way to approach the early game.

Also a few early game universities in the capital can do wonders. Pops in the capital have higher clout than pops elsewhere, so government admin buildings and universities in the capital will give more intelligensia clout than if they're built elsewhere.

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Pops in the capital have higher clout than pops elsewhere

Wow, never heard of that mechanic. Is this explained somewhere?

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

CrypticTriptych posted:

It's a feature of being a capital. Which is also the reason why you'd might wish to change your capital to a location that's more industrialized to increase the power of the pops that work in industrial buildings like say, Industrialists or Trade Unions.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

RabidWeasel posted:

Pops in the capital have higher clout than pops elsewhere

:eyepop:
what the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUck

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So how much construction infrastructure is too much? Can I just max everything out and then run massive deficits for short bursts whenever I wanna build something? Is there some way I can mothball half of my construction industry and only run the part I can afford without having to re-build it again later? Will pops employed in construction go out and get other jobs when I'm not actively building anything, or will having an overly-large construction industry have knock-on effects on my economy even when construction is paused?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Popoto posted:

:eyepop:
what the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUck

It's a flat percentage modifier to political strength so it's not all that significant unless a good chunk of your total population lives in the capital state

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

CrypticTriptych posted:

Feel like this should be the thread title.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Pops in the capital should have more sway? especially before you invent telephones

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

CrypticTriptych posted:

It's on the tooltip for moving capital I think or maybe the one for the capital state itself on the state overview pane.

Yeah, moving the capital to your biggest industrial state is a good idea. Persia is a great example for this, move capital to Tabriz day 1 every time

ZiegeDame posted:

So how much construction infrastructure is too much? Can I just max everything out and then run massive deficits for short bursts whenever I wanna build something? Is there some way I can mothball half of my construction industry and only run the part I can afford without having to re-build it again later? Will pops employed in construction go out and get other jobs when I'm not actively building anything, or will having an overly-large construction industry have knock-on effects on my economy even when construction is paused?

You should always be building as much as possible, so the correct amount of construction sectors is a number where you can keep them going at 100% capacity without going bankrupt

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

IIRC when you pause the construction, you're still paying the workers, but all the input goods are no longer being purchased, which can cause trouble for those parts of your economy that produce them. You do not want to be pulsing construction, you want to be building at a sustained rate that won't bankrupt you. (Which can be a bit tricky to get right since a slight deficit won't bankrupt you and helps you grow faster but too much will).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

It's on the tooltip for moving capital I think or maybe the one for the capital state itself on the state overview pane.

Yeah, moving the capital to your biggest industrial state is a good idea. Persia is a great example for this, move capital to Tabriz day 1 every time

You should always be building as much as possible, so the correct amount of construction sectors is a number where you can keep them going at 100% capacity without going bankrupt

But Washington DC was a compromise!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If your capitalists are already rich enough to pick up the slack then it's probably fine to pulse construction, since the capacity you're not using will flow over into private construction as long as there's enough in the queue.

But by the time you're that deep into a game you're probably not asking that question any more.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Alternatively pulse construction if you feel like your iron/steel/glass industries can tank the demand drop. As long as you build often enough that they can stay afloat it can work. But you should be aiming towards making those goods cheap enough and your economy big enough that you can handle being at full construction without completely destroying your treasury/credit.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Is getting onto Proportional Taxation before you marginalize the landowners a requirement early game and if you miss your shot you have to wait until an agitator shows up?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

That said, if the province is a coastal one, consider an inland province instead if you don't want to be stuck with a capital garrison death stack sitting on it the whole game to stop capital sniping.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

dont pulse construction countries only do that when they're very distressed

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

FalloutGod posted:

Is getting onto Proportional Taxation before you marginalize the landowners a requirement early game and if you miss your shot you have to wait until an agitator shows up?

If you start out with Per-Capita Taxation and don't revert back to Land Tax early game, yes. Most countries start with Land Tax, so as long as you don't pass Per-Capita Taxation at any point you should be able to pass Proportional Taxation as soon as it unlocks.

On a related note it's weird that the TUs don't approve of proportional taxation, they're only neutral towards it, and only approve of graduated taxation (vs. strongly approve)

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I've put around 200 hours into this game but this is the first time I've finished it. Finished a Sweden start forming Scandinavia and colonizing a good chunk of southern Africa. Vanilla game besides high pop merging in the settings. I managed 2nd place with 8019 prestige, 726m GDP, 24 SoL and 111M Population. 88M Loyalists which I thought was kinda rad and I only had 4 military techs left to unlock. I kissed a lot of foreign rear end because I don't super understand the military still.

E: Is there a trick to balancing all of the different PM's when it comes to Urban Centers and Railroad needs? There are 4 different kinds of trains with 3 different choices of wagon. At the end of my game I had like 30 states and it took quite a while keeping all that stuff somewhat even and not being inefficient. Same with the Urban Centers and what they need based on how big it is. You can nation wide change what you use but some of my states would have 200-300 extra infrastructure. Is that just kind of the game. Keeping your plates spinning nicely?

E2: Trade felt tricky too honestly. In the beginning I tried to make smart choices with my imports/exports but at the end it felt it turned into a buy it all and sell it all kind of deal because I had the convoys and the numbers were green. I guess thats the point of Laissez Faire and Free Trade laws?

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 6, 2024

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Iirc pops contribute way more to the investment pool when their building reserves are capped, and investment is already based on profitability. Pulsing construction will cause a double hit your private construction rate. Lack of demand will make wood and especially iron way less profitable and potentially send them into deficit where they start to spend down reserves. Those will be the majority of investment contributions in an industrializing economy, so you want to protect them.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Wow, I've never seen an AI peace deal like this. The North German Fed and France were stalemated in a war and stuck at 0 war support for ages until the NGF finally offered a mixed peace deal where both sides enforced some of their goals.

- Germany got to unify with Alsace-Lorraine and the Rhineland, but was also cut down to size and forced to spit out Prussia (in Bavaria for some reason), Hanover, Mecklenberg and several other minors they had just eaten, becoming Germany-in-name-only.

- France enforced the Cut Down to Size on Germany, but had to give up its German-border provinces and release Occitania (entire southern half of France) and Brittany, losing more than half of its population.

Both countries fell off the great power list after that (from #2 and #3). I guess it's lucky to have two of the big dogs take each other out like that, but I'm mostly just tickled at the idea of a war so brutal and inconclusive that the only possible peace deal is a mutual Versailles treaty where both sides get dismantled. :shobon: I don't usually see the AI go for the jugular like that in the first place. Force-releasing Occitania is brutal.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

kinda rad actually. My canon for that would be both sides civil society breaking down under the stress of an unending war resulting in a collapse of central authority, but the German army managed to stay together politically and is pulling a Prussia-style 'Army with a state attached' bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Randallteal posted:

Wow, I've never seen an AI peace deal like this. The North German Fed and France were stalemated in a war and stuck at 0 war support for ages until the NGF finally offered a mixed peace deal where both sides enforced some of their goals.

- Germany got to unify with Alsace-Lorraine and the Rhineland, but was also cut down to size and forced to spit out Prussia (in Bavaria for some reason), Hanover, Mecklenberg and several other minors they had just eaten, becoming Germany-in-name-only.

- France enforced the Cut Down to Size on Germany, but had to give up its German-border provinces and release Occitania (entire southern half of France) and Brittany, losing more than half of its population.

Both countries fell off the great power list after that (from #2 and #3). I guess it's lucky to have two of the big dogs take each other out like that, but I'm mostly just tickled at the idea of a war so brutal and inconclusive that the only possible peace deal is a mutual Versailles treaty where both sides get dismantled. :shobon: I don't usually see the AI go for the jugular like that in the first place. Force-releasing Occitania is brutal.

what year is it? i hope it's not too late so you can see the long term impact of that peace, because that's really cool