Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Wait, which guy is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nKj83n1WPk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wait, which guy is that?

LCDR Remmick. Poor guy, 'he' only wanted peaceful coexistence, and the Federation hypocrites set their phasers to Grand Guignol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a good thing he didn't survive to see them not phaser off the face of Locutus of Borg. They had to do a whole saucer separation to save his rear end, Remmick they didn't even try.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Admiralty Flag posted:

LCDR Remmick. Poor guy, 'he' only wanted peaceful coexistence, and the Federation hypocrites set their phasers to Grand Guignol.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Remmick knew something was up and was begging Picard to save him. He didn't, and Remmick was captured along with the other victims of the neural parasites.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

This would have been so much better if it was just a few frames later. Or have another shot underneath it from mid de-facing.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The reverse salt vampires who drain you of all your water?
Wouldn't a reverse salt vampire pump you full of salt and cause your blood pressure to spike?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Skydance’s Proposed Deal With Paramount Global Appears to Be Falling Apart

https://variety.com/2024/biz/news/paramount-global-reject-skydance-sony-apollo-offers-1235991298/

UPADTED: After months of M&A talks, Paramount Global and controlling shareholder Shari Redstone might be going it alone after all — for now.

Insiders tell Variety that the expectation at the company is that neither of the two offers in play — Skydance Media-RedBird Capital Partners and Sony Pictures Entertainment-Apollo Global Management — will come to fruition. And Redstone is said to have reluctantly concluded that a deal with David Ellison’s Skydance, a longtime partner of Paramount Pictures, will not be possible.

As of Friday morning, the special committee established by Paramount Global’s board to evaluate M&A proposals had not notified Skydance one way or the other about its best and final offer, which would involve Skydance acquiring Redstone’s National Amusements Inc. and merging Skydance and Paramount Global, per a source familiar with the talks. The exclusive negotiating window between Skydance and the Paramount Global board’s special committee established to review M&A offers is set to expire at midnight Friday.

Meanwhile, the Paramount board’s special committee will review the joint Sony-Apollo offer, floating a $26 billion all-cash buyout premium, after the May 3 expiration of the Skydance 30-day negotiating window. But that may be so the board fulfills its fiduciary duty to consider all credible M&A proposals. Insiders expect the proposal to ultimately be declined given anticipated regulatory hurdles required to complete such a transaction.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I feel really bad for the people getting laid off, but I'm super glad I didn't take that job at PCBS a few years ago.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I know that "all-cash" means no stock bullshit, and not all physical cash, but I still like to imagine this deal going through and there just being a convoy of like 300 dump trucks full of cash driving to the Paramount lot to finalize the deal every time I hear about this offer.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

I know that "all-cash" means no stock bullshit, and not all physical cash, but I still like to imagine this deal going through and there just being a convoy of like 300 dump trucks full of cash driving to the Paramount lot to finalize the deal every time I hear about this offer.

And going in the opposite direction is buses full of characters.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Last Call posted:

Skydance’s Proposed Deal With Paramount Global Appears to Be Falling Apart

https://variety.com/2024/biz/news/paramount-global-reject-skydance-sony-apollo-offers-1235991298/

UPADTED: After months of M&A talks, Paramount Global and controlling shareholder Shari Redstone might be going it alone after all — for now.

Insiders tell Variety that the expectation at the company is that neither of the two offers in play — Skydance Media-RedBird Capital Partners and Sony Pictures Entertainment-Apollo Global Management — will come to fruition. And Redstone is said to have reluctantly concluded that a deal with David Ellison’s Skydance, a longtime partner of Paramount Pictures, will not be possible.

As of Friday morning, the special committee established by Paramount Global’s board to evaluate M&A proposals had not notified Skydance one way or the other about its best and final offer, which would involve Skydance acquiring Redstone’s National Amusements Inc. and merging Skydance and Paramount Global, per a source familiar with the talks. The exclusive negotiating window between Skydance and the Paramount Global board’s special committee established to review M&A offers is set to expire at midnight Friday.

Meanwhile, the Paramount board’s special committee will review the joint Sony-Apollo offer, floating a $26 billion all-cash buyout premium, after the May 3 expiration of the Skydance 30-day negotiating window. But that may be so the board fulfills its fiduciary duty to consider all credible M&A proposals. Insiders expect the proposal to ultimately be declined given anticipated regulatory hurdles required to complete such a transaction.
All of the rumors of Paramount being acquired by some company have tended to be bad ones. First it was Warner Bros. Discovery, then Skydance, and most recently Sony. I don't really trust Sony with Star Trek considering how badly they have handled other properties of theirs.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Considering Sony keeps renting out their IP to Disney, does this mean Michael Burnham's about to be a Disney princess?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fighting Trousers posted:

Considering Sony keeps renting out their IP to Disney, does this mean Rok Tok is about to be a Disney princess?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I've got 17 dollars in my wallet right now, I'd be willing to buy star trek.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Star Trek is worth at least 1701 dollars

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Example of a non-all-cash offer:

Al Michaels getting traded for a cartoon rabbit will always be one of the best things that ever happened.

I mean, he even thought it was hilarious.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Tighclops posted:

Star Trek is worth at least 1701 dollars

No bloody A, B, C or D series dollars.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I'll give you 17.01 dollars and not a penny more.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Here's a good example of the thing I mean about other species on Star Trek - the episode Troi loses her powers Picard says "other captains of starships have to deal with having human councilors"
Now surely Betazoids would be really common as councilors and it wouldn't just be humans all over the show? Legit feels like DS9 is the first show that really sets into it with the federation being a collection of peoples instead of "Humans and sometimes other people say hello"

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Just because Starfleet represents and acts on behalf of the entire federation, that doesn't mean that all the species equally enjoy going off on dangerous exploration missions

On ships filled with stinky humans

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

Here's a good example of the thing I mean about other species on Star Trek - the episode Troi loses her powers Picard says "other captains of starships have to deal with having human councilors"
Now surely Betazoids would be really common as councilors and it wouldn't just be humans all over the show? Legit feels like DS9 is the first show that really sets into it with the federation being a collection of peoples instead of "Humans and sometimes other people say hello"

Okay new captain, here's your options for ship's counselor: human, Vulcan, Tellar-

Captain: human

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Taear posted:

Just because the first Betazoid we meet is a counselor you think the whole species is like, genetically predisposed to psychiatry? :ughh: So much for the human "evolved sensibilities"...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Taear posted:

There's no reason Betazoids would be councilors. Diana can only sense emotion and not thoughts because she's only half betazoid. If only sensing emotion is common I could see them tending towards counseling.

Now that I think about it, it's super weird that after a few hundred years of space travel where most life is humanoid and biologically compatible that everyone isn't just a mix of different races. You get the occasional half and half, and that one guy in Drumhead was one quarter Romulan but that's really it. You'd think by now there would be a common 23andMe test were everyone is just percentages of several aliens.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I have the emotional sensitivity of a Betazoid, the Klingon's innate sense of honor, and a Bolian's huge dumps

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Same except for the first two

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Soul Dentist posted:

I have the emotional sensitivity of a Betazoid, the Klingon's innate sense of honor, and a Bolian's huge dumps

I have a Betazoid's empathic abilities, but they only work on animals I see in youtube videos.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Didn't that capitalist they woke up from cryosleep figure out the Romulans they were dealing with that week were bluffing just because he had a lot of experience in business negotiations before Troi could?

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Didn't that capitalist they woke up from cryosleep figure out the Romulans they were dealing with that week were bluffing just because he had a lot of experience in business negotiations before Troi could?

Well yeah but in her defense she was terribly written that season. And the next four. And also the last one. And the first thirteen episodes of season six and also the last twelve.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Taear posted:

One of those little tidbits I only learned a year ago was Marina Sirtis was going to be fired. Only reason she didn't was thanks to Denise Crosby quitting first.

Even for Nemesis they didn't want to hire her back since she wanted equal pay with her co stars, so they said they would replace her with Seven of Nine. She correctly told them, she would not do it for the pay they were offering.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The Last Call posted:

One of those little tidbits I only learned a year ago was Marina Sirtis was going to be fired. Only reason she didn't was thanks to Denise Crosby quitting first.

Even for Nemesis they didn't want to hire her back since she wanted equal pay with her co stars, so they said they would replace her with Seven of Nine. She correctly told them, she would not do it for the pay they were offering.

They were really, really poo poo with the women in TNG

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Considering that Troi's main contribution to Nemesis was the mind-rape thing, maybe she shouldn't have agreed to come back

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Boxturret posted:

I'll give you 17.01 dollars and not a penny more.

I'm human, so I don't have any money. But if they give me Star Trek, I'll use it to better myself and the rest of humanity.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Considering that Troi's main contribution to Nemesis was the mind-rape thing, maybe she shouldn't have agreed to come back

Then it just goes from "Watch Troi get mindraped" to "Watch Seven of Nine get mindraped", so there's no good outcome there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I assume the Sirtis contract stuff must have been before there was a script, considering the movie opens with the Riker Troi wedding

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Good news: I just watched "Endgame" to keep up with Greatest Gen and now I never have to watch Voyager again

Bad news: Enterprise is next :ohdear:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I assume the Sirtis contract stuff must have been before there was a script, considering the movie opens with the Riker Troi wedding

Entire possible yes. Though that still raises the possibility of what degrading poo poo would have have put Jeri Ryan through if Marina had told Berman to go ram a shoe up his rear end.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

CPColin posted:

Good news: I just watched "Endgame" to keep up with Greatest Gen and now I never have to watch Voyager again

You're allowed to stop, you know. You don't have to watch everything Star Trek just because it's Star Trek. Don't make my mistake.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Entire possible yes. Though that still raises the possibility of what degrading poo poo would have have put Jeri Ryan through if Marina had told Berman to go ram a shoe up his rear end.
rear end to rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

CPColin posted:

If you can survive Voyager, you can manage Enterprise.