Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i just take it or not based on run vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Merch store is up. It’s…eh it’s okay, I like the nope mug

https://www.playbalatro.com/merch

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

yeah nah needs to sell buffoon packs with actual jokers inside, get those twitchy tokkers screaming about irl holographic stuntmen or whatever

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
You gotta click on View Product for the full effect, but the Wheel of Fortune hoodie is perfect.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I managed to get a gold clear finally without the new patch but I'm looking forward to it dropping on switch

Wrt steel cards is there something im doing wrong BC like the baron the multiplier being added before my +mult from jokers doesn't seem that impressive. I managed to get a deck that was mostly steel cards by about ante 5, a disgustingly juiced +mult on hand played (I wanna say supernova?) # and a square joker running at about 110 at that point and while it was a reasonably easy clear on white stake I fell over in endless almost immediately once the serious scaling set in.

I had some other X mult as well and it should have been good in theory but it was a bit late (adds X mult for each added card in deck and I was running DNA to dupe steel cards) and probably needed to be a bit higher than x3 by the time I hit endless but I've played decks like this without the steel cards and I'm one shotting most blinds all the way to ante 8 even when the xmult drags a bit behind

Are you playing high card to make the most of your steel card triggers?

Are your steel cards random or all/mostly kings? Because if you're using steels that aren't kings with baron then you're not getting the optimal amount of x mult per hand.

Also try to increase your hand size with vouchers.

And even with all the above, yeah it's not that powerful unless you get red chips on them too.

Without red chips, I believe you're looking at 1.5^14 mult (291), assuming no other source of mult.

With red chips you're looking at 1.5^21 (4987) (I don't think red chips re-trigger baron? But if they do it would be 1.5^28 (85k))

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I bought a hoodie for me and my brother and a mug.

I am not normally someone cares about or wants video game paraphernalia but this game and Dwarf Fortress release merch got me.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
all of that ammo and no gun (the death is useless now because all my cards are the same card already

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If they ever make a pin set with some of the most popular cards I would buy it so fast

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chadzok posted:

This is very specifically why I keep mentioning the Jokerless strategy is all in on Aces, keep a good mix of suits, Four of a Kind (scales just as well as Five, get access earlier and extra cards held for steels), keep a balance of Glass and Steel. It is Not Hard.

If jokerless is Not Hard then I would posit that no part of Balatro whatsoever is Hard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The steel cards are pretty hard probably

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Yeah, while all of the last three Challenges were pretty difficult, it definitely felt like I spent way more time on Jokerless than Golden Needle (and then more on GN than Cruelty). Then again, I guess I naturally build most of my decks towards one-hand kills anyway.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jossar posted:

Yeah, while all of the last three Challenges were pretty difficult, it definitely felt like I spent way more time on Jokerless than Golden Needle (and then more on GN than Cruelty). Then again, I guess I naturally build most of my decks towards one-hand kills anyway.

Cruelty fortunately lined up pretty well for me, I squeaked by with Stuntman/Half Joker/Blackboard.

There was a point where I had to choose between holographic Misprint and Half Joker, and I think it included the only time I ever passed on The Soul

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Nemo2342 posted:

Honestly I don't like the reroll strategy; it feels really tedious sitting there holding R and hoping to get a good tags on the first blind.

Personally I prefer to play out the first 2 blinds; you can clear the small blind with a high card straight (8s and higher) or solid flush (average of 8 chips per card) in a single hand and that will give you $7 to use in the initial shop. The large blind can be cleared in 2 hands using a similar setup, even without a joker.

If neither shop gave you a joker with with a power boost your run is dead and you restart.

It's actually a little easier now with the patch, since that first store will always have a pack you can open with your starting cash.

The reroll strategy is not great anyways, tags were junk (and that's why they had to get buffed) and they're still generally worse than just playing it out and seeing more shops worth of jokers. Controversial take I know but people were insisting on doing stuff like rerolling for investment even when it was half as good. It's boring and lame to reroll over and over again and it's just generally less consistent than playing it out.

There is a more limited pool of jokers you basically need to hit in purple+ by somewhere in ante 2 but that's why seeing every shop is indeed so important. It's kind of funny people were surprised about Power of Pecota's most used joker list cause like every time people were struggling with orange/gold it's the exact setup everyone recommends. Get an early scaling joker, an easy sort of chips, and transition into whatever consistent xmult you can trigger. To do the first two steps you need to see jokers which means you need to see shops.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

the holy poopacy posted:

Get a source of mult that's based on card triggers (which means it gets added in before the steels/baron go off), and/or get red seals on everything and throw in a mime joker if you can to retrigger all your held multipliers.

Huh, it never occurred to me that would be a viable strat, I think I wrote off jokers that trigger on card play or the enchanted mult cards as bad past ante 5-6 ages ago but yeah I absolutely did not take into account X mult from cards like steel or even glass I guess. Are there any busted ones you build around or are.you just sort of looking for something that suits whatever deck you wound up with?

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Huh, it never occurred to me that would be a viable strat, I think I wrote off jokers that trigger on card play or the enchanted mult cards as bad past ante 5-6 ages ago but yeah I absolutely did not take into account X mult from cards like steel or even glass I guess. Are there any busted ones you build around or are.you just sort of looking for something that suits whatever deck you wound up with?

They're all p good for it if you're deck is tuned in that direction, but standouts are probably fibbonacci and the uncommon club joker. You combo either of those with retriggers before steel/baron starts hitting and it pops hard enough for you to build towards the lategame option of just playing highcard with a million handtriggers.

Incidentally it'll never compete with baron but if you're just trying to make your first e-hand or unlock stuntman shoot the moon (the queen joker) sort of does this for you, because a handful of steel queens will give you +mult that combos with the 1.5x so you get a lot of freebie base mult for the steels to scale exponentially. It certainly doesnt have the same high end potential as just having a well scaled pluto + steel kings/baron but it's an "easier" to build into as you don't really have to worry about any hand/joker pivoting.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I just looked at that shoot the moon joker and I haven't unlocked it yet but I kind of love how many cards are locked behind just doing something cool or stupid so you just do a run to specifically unlock it and nothing else

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Okay now that's 100% across the board. Definitely agree with the recommendation of Four of a Kind, I made it to the final boss with flushes but Cerulean Bell is much more forgiving for 4OAK. (And you're either getting that or Violet Vessel)

I had more "fun" with golden needle, even on the run that made it all the way I almost got hosed by The Arm downgrading 4OAK two ranks, then I almost got hosed by having to one shot The Eye, then I almost got hosed with ante 7 The Wall which is 40,000 chips higher than ante 8 Cerulean Bell. In comparison, my golden needle run was smooth sailing.

Here are some "fun" runs from earlier:

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I just looked at that shoot the moon joker and I haven't unlocked it yet but I kind of love how many cards are locked behind just doing something cool or stupid so you just do a run to specifically unlock it and nothing else

imo the best ones of these were Seeing Double and Brainstorm, I'm glad they show that you have to do the unlock stuff on the collection page because I never would have figured it out otherwise.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

PoundSand posted:

It's kind of funny people were surprised about Power of Pecota's most used joker list cause like every time people were struggling with orange/gold it's the exact setup everyone recommends. Get an early scaling joker, an easy sort of chips, and transition into whatever consistent xmult you can trigger. To do the first two steps you need to see jokers which means you need to see shops.

Oh yeah I should probably have shared this:

I played a shitton of Banner and flushes at low ranks when I was learning the game, Banner (and Jupiter on the consumables) are way overrepresented. I would not recommend it, but everything else on here is good poo poo.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Power of Pecota posted:

Oh yeah I should probably have shared this:

I played a shitton of Banner and flushes at low ranks when I was learning the game, Banner (and Jupiter on the consumables) are way overrepresented. I would not recommend it, but everything else on here is good poo poo.

I love me some supernova so no real surprise there. Only one I'd really be surprised about is the banner but your explanation does make sense. I think it's a solid joker either way but at high stakes blue is basically the same thing but better most cases.

Raised fist is one I super underestimated early on but I've grown to really appreciate, since you can like play meh hands and eat the low cards in your hand it ends up being really high early mult with less drawbacks than say mystic summit.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

My underestimated joker is Mime, it's been rocking my socks off today. All my gold, steel, and blue seal cards are twice as effective now? Yes please!

And it's not the dumbest thing you can do in the game, but man, completely handicapping yourself trying to support a joker structure that no longer exists really stings. I think I just played two whole antes leaving all my discards on the table because I forgot that I had sold my Banner.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just bought a perishable Blueprint in ante 3 for ten bucks because the sticker blended in to the blue :negative:

Also wow what a gently caress you rental tags going on eternal jokers is

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chadzok posted:

This is very specifically why I keep mentioning the Jokerless strategy is all in on Aces, keep a good mix of suits, Four of a Kind (scales just as well as Five, get access earlier and extra cards held for steels), keep a balance of Glass and Steel. It is Not Hard.

I think I did Four of a Kind of something weird like 5s, but that was because it just happened to be what I pulled out of the packs and I ran with it. I don't recall using any glass, but I probably had some steel since that tends to be easier to come by.

Power of Pecota posted:

If jokerless is Not Hard then I would posit that no part of Balatro whatsoever is Hard.

Jokerless isn't hard because the amount of variables you can mess with is greatly reduced. You commit to one of a few high-scoring hands and focus on it exclusively, and either the game gives you the tarots/planets you need for it or you quickly end up restarting. Mechanically it's pretty simple, though it can end up frustrating if you get a run of bad luck.

The rest of Balatro requires you to juggle a lot of other mechanics, and it's easy to get overwhelmed or make a costly mistake. And with the reduction in hands and discards on the higher stakes one mistake can end your run. That's why Golden Needle is so much harder than Jokerless; there's no margin for error.

PoundSand posted:

The reroll strategy is not great anyways, tags were junk (and that's why they had to get buffed) and they're still generally worse than just playing it out and seeing more shops worth of jokers. Controversial take I know but people were insisting on doing stuff like rerolling for investment even when it was half as good. It's boring and lame to reroll over and over again and it's just generally less consistent than playing it out.

There is a more limited pool of jokers you basically need to hit in purple+ by somewhere in ante 2 but that's why seeing every shop is indeed so important. It's kind of funny people were surprised about Power of Pecota's most used joker list cause like every time people were struggling with orange/gold it's the exact setup everyone recommends. Get an early scaling joker, an easy sort of chips, and transition into whatever consistent xmult you can trigger. To do the first two steps you need to see jokers which means you need to see shops.

I will say though that skipping for an early Holo (maybe even Polychrome) Joker isn't the worst idea, since +10 Mult for free will be enough to get you deeper into Ante 2. I still wouldn't sit there and reroll for it though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Beat Gold Stakes Checkered Deck! Oops All Sixes and Bloodstone isn't particularly good, but it's good enough lol

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
dunno why people are so down on rerolling for the free cards & boosters as a late stake strat. part of the metagame of playing a roguelike/roguelite is once you play it enough, you learn to incorporate rerolling when starting a new run because you know you need to meet certain milestones by a certain point. i'd much rather sit on the R key for 30 seconds til i get a free cards voucher than try to grind out the first two rounds hoping i can get flushes/straights/full houses AND good jokers. so much less wasted time just rerolling at the beginning

(all this applies to 1.0.0, things have definitely gotten easier with the free joker tags, higher boss reward tag, etc. so what i wrote is probably not true anymore but was definitely true before the 1.0.1 patch)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

switch mfers waiting on the patch

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

switch mfers waiting on the patch

lol same

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

dunno why people are so down on rerolling for the free cards & boosters as a late stake strat. part of the metagame of playing a roguelike/roguelite is once you play it enough, you learn to incorporate rerolling when starting a new run because you know you need to meet certain milestones by a certain point. i'd much rather sit on the R key for 30 seconds til i get a free cards voucher than try to grind out the first two rounds hoping i can get flushes/straights/full houses AND good jokers. so much less wasted time just rerolling at the beginning

(all this applies to 1.0.0, things have definitely gotten easier with the free joker tags, higher boss reward tag, etc. so what i wrote is probably not true anymore but was definitely true before the 1.0.1 patch)

I think the rerolling meta has shifted to kicking off the 2nd ante with a free Holo rare :hellyeah:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

Jokerless isn't hard because the amount of variables you can mess with is greatly reduced. You commit to one of a few high-scoring hands and focus on it exclusively, and either the game gives you the tarots/planets you need for it or you quickly end up restarting. Mechanically it's pretty simple, though it can end up frustrating if you get a run of bad luck.

The rest of Balatro requires you to juggle a lot of other mechanics, and it's easy to get overwhelmed or make a costly mistake. And with the reduction in hands and discards on the higher stakes one mistake can end your run. That's why Golden Needle is so much harder than Jokerless; there's no margin for error.

In that case I guess we just disagree, I feel like the additional variables help since the power level of certain jokers (Banner, Acrobat, and an early Rocket especially) are way more of a boost than anything Jokerless can give you. You can't misplay a hand without losing so there's no margin for error, but there are more ways to get there.

With Jokerless, anything but flushes (which are just asking to get wrecked by Cerulean Bell) and Four of a Kind aces (not disabled by The Plant, Grim gives you guaranteed ones, the hand reduction in Ouija hosed me every time I could use it) felt like absolute poo poo.

Here's my winning Golden Needle run, I sold a negative Even Steven on the last boss blind but I'd have easily cleared with just debuffed cards by a large margin:

And here are two runs that came really close, the first one I was a dumbass, forgot The Hook was the boss, and watched as a steel card I needed to clear was discarded, and the second one I wish I took a screenshot of the rest of my deck, because somehow I drew like, every card that wasn't a face card or a steel card.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
8 Ball sounds good in theory. However, it triggers about as often as Wheel does.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I swear like 90% of the royal flushes I draw are on the very first blind

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

This would have been a really cool run if I got a meaty +mult joker at any point. Instead it died at ante 9

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Had a great run today (on checkered deck), hit 16 mil on one hand at one point. My Joker lineup was just Oops All Sixes, Hanging Chad, Mime, Bloodstone and Rookie Card (Baseball Joker or whatever). Plus I had some glass cards and tons of steels, and a voucher that added 1.5x mult per planet card that corresponds to your played hand.

Wasn't enough to break Ante 11 on Black Stake but it was fun while it lasted.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

And that's every deck on regular stakes! :buddy: Ending it with a royal flush five felt real good.

This also happened completely coincidentally, it was just how my deck functioned :allears:

Still have no idea how folks make it into the millions of points and I'm excited to play more and find out. Anyone have tips for someone who has just finished all the decks and is headed into stake-land?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 3, 2024

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

CJacobs posted:

And that's every deck on regular stakes! :buddy: Ending it with a royal flush five felt real good.

This also happened completely coincidentally, it was just how my deck functioned :allears:

Still have no idea how folks make it into the millions of points and I'm excited to play more and find out. Anyone have tips for someone who has just finished all the decks and is headed into stake-land?

they just did a balance patch so the specific strategies are still forming but generally you want to find a multiplier joker by like blind 4 at the latest and then lean heavily into it, slowly replacing your support jokers with copy jokers or other multiplier jokers. your scaling basically looks like going as poverty as you can get away with while heading up to interest cap, and/or picking up a gold generating joker early and playing somewhere around 10-15 gold until you hit a comfortable state to push to interest cap. buy as many card packs as you can afford early and aim for either purple seals or polychrome or red seals with lucky, and then spend your deaths you find on duplicating those. that'll allow you to scale & snowball into the later blinds fairly regularly.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Power of Pecota posted:

In that case I guess we just disagree, I feel like the additional variables help since the power level of certain jokers (Banner, Acrobat, and an early Rocket especially) are way more of a boost than anything Jokerless can give you. You can't misplay a hand without losing so there's no margin for error, but there are more ways to get there.

With Jokerless, anything but flushes (which are just asking to get wrecked by Cerulean Bell) and Four of a Kind aces (not disabled by The Plant, Grim gives you guaranteed ones, the hand reduction in Ouija hosed me every time I could use it) felt like absolute poo poo.

Here's my winning Golden Needle run, I sold a negative Even Steven on the last boss blind but I'd have easily cleared with just debuffed cards by a large margin:

And here are two runs that came really close, the first one I was a dumbass, forgot The Hook was the boss, and watched as a steel card I needed to clear was discarded, and the second one I wish I took a screenshot of the rest of my deck, because somehow I drew like, every card that wasn't a face card or a steel card.

Jokerless can be beaten with Flushes, Four/Five of a Kinds, Full Houses, or Straights, though Four of a Kind is probably easiest since you can use more Steel cards. The real trick is committing early so you can devote your resources to buffing up a single hand and shaping your deck to suit it.

While the boosts you can use (card enhancements, planet cards, especially blue seals) are less impactful than Jokers, it's much simpler to figure out what you need to focus on and the challenge is set up to let you focus on acquiring them.

Golden Needle is just a fucker though. 1 hand so you can't make mistakes or scale up a lot of the Jokers, and fishing around with discards will quickly ruin your economy to the point where you can't power yourself up any more. The only fun part about it was the 6 discards, which lead to some wild attempts with Banner and Delayed Gratification doing a lot of heavy lifting. Though my winning run didn't feature either of those cards:

In the end I spent hours and hours spread across 5 days working on Golden Needle before I could clear it, but Jokerless was done in just a couple of attempts. Some of that is certainly due to luck, but it's difficult for me to consider Jokerless to be all that hard compared to anything else in Balatro.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Did something change about space Joker? I picked it up on a lark ante one, and without a oops all sixes I was able to get my high card to like a level 16 with it alone. If I hadn't gotten the eye as a boss ante seven I probably could have won

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Probably not too crazy mathematically seeing as I played 49 high cards, but it definitely felt more consistent than it ever has. Maybe I just held on to it for longer and had the Jokers to survive the blinds

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Counterpoint: Golden needle was fine but Jokerless sucks when all you get is dogshit tarots like wheel of fortune and the devil and bad skips

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

gently caress if you destroy a debuffed face card it doesn't trip Canio

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I hope Blue stake gets looked at, -1 discard is just boring.