Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

someone awful. posted:

she's making sure they won't gently caress in their house while the girl is housesitting, op

TY for explaining, I was getting a bit... unsure of where this was going, also.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Huxley posted:

"Oh, cool! Do you sell anything other than popcorn?"

"Do you sell those cookies?"

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Vacant and white. Yes, that is an accurate summary.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Mister Olympus posted:

to be fair along these lines you could ask the people of india, pakistan, and bangladesh what they think of churchill and get a very different answer from most europeans. lefty is right in that the big papers are absolutely out to destroy communism as an idea, and not just overthrow stalin for his crimes specifically.

i wonder to what degree most people at the daily worker genuinely didn't know or made the 'lesser of two evils' choice a bunch of americans make while voting all the time. this is well before the new left but there were outspoken communist and anarchist critics of the soviets at this point in time--but without being there, was it possible to just assume emma goldman was paid off or something and betrayed her principles?

e: adjacent to this, i recall someone mentioning when peanuts introduced franklin, there was a wave of boycotts from papers across the south for not making him a minstrel show stereotype like almost every black person is in the old timey papers. this applies even when a black person is drawing them, i.e. george herriman. i really wish that besides del, i could talk to the ghosts of people like herriman and williams and ask them, you know, did you really see people like this? or was this just what you had to do to get published? what does williams think of the (presumable) real co-worker he had that he based ick on?

It's important to remember that George Herriman was raised white by a family that was somewhat ashamed of it's ancestry and went out of it's way to ensure that their children were part of the whitest of white society, to the point of leaving New Orleans to make sure nobody could ever accuse them of being mixed race. Herriman almost certainly eventually at least suspected the truth, but lived in a society where the truth would have utterly destroyed his career. There are still members of his family who deny any black ancestry.

The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(November 4, 1910)

Baron Bean(May 5, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(April 4, 1913)

Lillian Russel
John Drew

Gasoline Alley(December 26, 1919)

Us Boys(May 3, 1912)

The Gumps(June 1, 1917)

Bringing up Father(February 4, 1913)

Abie the Agent(February 20, 1914)

"Cap" Stubbs(March 15, 1918)

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 3, 2024

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Timg for non-sexual boob

CW: needle-oriented surgical procedure trauma

Haraiso Days

Traditionally there’s a custom of people in a neighborhood (whether residential or, as here, small-business) getting together to clean things up at the end of the year – usually stuff like cutting weeds, cleaning out gutters, picking up any stray trash, that sort of thing. As with many things of the sort, these days the purpose is more social than practical, and it’s very hard to get out of.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

caribiner23 posted:

The vibe in this plotline is getting weird. J's interest in this young woman is a little too creepy. Or maybe it's just me.

To add to this, A+J makes a lot more sense when you read this and yesterday's strip back to back. It's a job interview, and she just doesn't want to the person she's picking to bring someone to their home. It doesn't feel weird to me, certainly nothing like Kevin & Kell where Rudy's mom is weirdly obsessed with her son's girlfriend. poo poo like manipulating things behind the scenes for some other girl's marriage so that Fiona doesn't get a bad image of marriage planning or meeting Fiona in secret so Rudy's mom can declare Fiona's earned her trust and she can give her son away to her come across as super creepy.

God, shut up already. poo poo like this is why people ITT say Zits is becoming Dustin-esque.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Goddamn Dr. T sucks so bad

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That doesn't look like Richard Gere.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

someone awful. posted:

she's making sure they won't gently caress in their house while the girl is housesitting, op

Leave out plastic sheets and remind her about all the cameras mounted throughout the house.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

David Attenborough is narrating this in my head.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

That doesn't look like Richard Gere.
And here I was trying to find a way to finagle a Mr T joke.

F Minus

Mark Trail

I haven't particularly liked Jules but this is the first time I am actually angry at her.

Mary Worth

This is his plan for ensuring a second date. The man's a genius.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

That's a repeat from your post yesterday.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Step Aside, Miss Uchida, Because A Man's Here To Tell You All About How Childbirth Is Cool And Fun And Easy And How A Uterus Can Just...Do That For A Rhino Horn

ah gently caress.

[sighs and just pinches the bridge of my nose]

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

"The neighbors got mad at you, therefore your property has been donated to an animal rescue." Biden's America, folks.

caribiner23
Apr 12, 2024

Hippocrass posted:

Gasoline Alley(December 26, 1919)

Reminds me of the old SNL skit about Jiffy Express-- "When you've got no one else to blame, call us."

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I haven't particularly liked Jules but this is the first time I am actually angry at her.

Look at that hand and wrist in panel 1. Does his hand have jowls? :laffo: Only topped by the sincerely embarrassing art in panel 2, lmao. A hell of a pairing with the 6+ writing mistakes in the last two strips too. I try to moderate my hate-read effort-posting but someone could probably start a Son of Stuck Funky style blog just critically analyzing it each day, it's incredibly rare for Jules to not make at least 2 art and 2 writing errors per strip and the bigger disasters like today deserve to be gone over with a red pen.

quote:

Mary Worth

:haw: People say that MW plays into Wilbur too much but... I dunno man, this is pretty funny even if played predictably straight and it's a mile ahead of Keith's story.

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

I know Rex Morgan spends 99% of its time in paycheck collecting mode but lol, does the artist ever stop and think that it's kinda weird that Rex is never happy to interact with his family? Dude has resting scowl face.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I'm catching up, this is from many pages back.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

Oh, like he’d miss it!

(I think it's safe to say they're dating.)
The Powerful Katrinka has a new rival They would probably hang out and be friends

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 3, 2024

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Fria owns hard, and as far as I'm concerned it's her comic now.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Smeerp 11/13-15/52

Archie 4/24-26/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 8/7/77

Selachian fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 4, 2024

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Saoshyant posted:

That's a repeat from your post yesterday.
Whoops! So it is.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bimmi posted:

Fria owns hard, and as far as I'm concerned it's her comic now.

Bok would like a word with you.

Now I feel like loving Tormund from GOT about Brienne of Tarth: "imagine our kids, they'd conquer the world!"

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Now that I've (somewhat) recovered from the last installment of WAR...why on earth do they have to access the ovary that way?! I would have assumed they could just go right in through the abdomen.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Drimble Wedge posted:

Now that I've (somewhat) recovered from the last installment of WAR...why on earth do they have to access the ovary that way?! I would have assumed they could just go right in through the abdomen.

Women are like animals: they don't feel pain, they just get used to it! ---many medical doctors

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

Willie, how many circus girlfriends have you had over the years?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

CannonFodder posted:

Willie, how many circus girlfriends have you had over the years?

In a past iteration of this thread I put together some statistics on the number of Modesty's boyfriends & Willie's girlfriends.

The_Other posted:

I actually went through my copy of The Modesty Blaise Companion and counted Modesty's boyfriends (or bedfellows as the guide often refers to them) and Willie's girlfriends. My results:
    # of Modesty's boyfriends: 10
    # of Modesty's boyfriends that appear more than once: 3
    # of Modesty's boyfriends that get killed: 3
    # of Willie's girlfriends: 22
    # of Willie's girlfriends that appear more than once: 4
    # of Willie's girlfriends that appear once only to be stood up because he has to go help Modesty: 3
    # of Willie's girlfriends that appear once only to be stood up because he has to go help an elephant: 1

I'll have to check to see how many of Willie's girlfriends worked in the circus.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Dinette

Popcom

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Ah, good Wilburing.
Now watch this woman actually go on a second date with him.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Slightly surprised to see actual blood in Phantom. I don't think they even showed that in the seven million Mozz story strips where Phantom himself bled to death.

Murdstone posted:

Pooch Cafe

lol

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doomykins posted:

I try to moderate my hate-read effort-posting but someone could probably start a Son of Stuck Funky style blog just critically analyzing it each day

Someone has (not me btw).

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 01, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

amigolupus posted:

God, shut up already. poo poo like this is why people ITT say Zits is becoming Dustin-esque.

I feel like the first one was pretty good and they stepped off a cliff

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

hell yeah

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The logical outcome for Ted:

https://www.sas.upenn.edu/~cavitch/pdf-library/Highsmith_Snail.pdf

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/12/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/15/1994)

Ziggy

Not many newspaper funnies can get away with just drawing their character covered in poo poo, but that's Ziggy!

(12/11/1971)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 27, 1963)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Forum accident posted:

Not many newspaper funnies can get away with just drawing their character covered in poo poo, but that's Ziggy!
And Marvin.